Start by marking “Murder in the Village (DI Hillary Greene, #4)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Village (DI Hillary Greene, #4)

Murder in the Village

(DI Hillary Greene #4)

Author's note: This is a revised edition of a book first published as By a Narrow Majority.

A would-be politician is found battered to death in the kitchen of his expensive home in a lovely Oxfordshire village. His wife’s alibi is full of holes and there’s another woman in the background. And what about his seemingly mild-mannered political rival?

DI Hillary Greene tries to
Published November 12th 2017 by Joffe Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Village, please sign up.
Rebecca Howie I think the series has originally been released under different titles, so book 5 might already be in print somewhere

Linda Strong
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

DI Greene and her team are back and involved in two almost unsolvable cases.

A man running for a political office is found dead in his home with his head battered. No witnesses .. no DNA .. no clues. The wife has a solid alibi .. she was playing cards with several friends. There is no lack of suspects, though and Greene's team is going to have to sift and sort through a lot of lies and secrets.

And then there's the death of a major drug dealer, one that the law has been after for a long time and n
Cheryl
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this novel directly from the author and publisher Joffe Books. I have voluntarily chosen to review the book, and the gifting in no way determines my review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion.

The fourth in the DI Hillary Greene series, Murder In The Village has everything and more in it!
Three major criminal investigations fight for Hillary's attention but only one with her as SIO. The murder of a local, campaigning to get into government, supplies Hillary and he
Books 'n' All  Promotions
This is book 4 in the Hillary Greene series. The books will work very well as stand alone but a better reading experience will be accomplished by reading them in sequence.

Hillary is a dedicated DI and is still dealing with the fallout from a bad marriage to a bent copper who died leaving Hillary with his mess to clear up. She is living on a Narrow Boat on the Oxford Canal while working her way through the fall out from Ronnie's death. She survived investigation by the IPC and is fighting off a c
Amanda
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently had the delight of reading and reviewing ‘Murder Of The Bride’ by Faith Martin, which is the previous book in the series featuring DI Hilary Greene, and I absolutely loved it. So you can imagine my excitement when I was asked if I would like to read and review ‘Murder In The Village’. Of course I said ‘yes’ and oh wowzers I absolutely loved it. In fact I think that this series just gets better and better with each book that is released, but more about that in a bit.
DI Hillary Greene i
Jo Ann
You know when you're reading a series and you get to that point where you feel like you're part of the team or the family (albiet as a fly on the wall) and can anticipate how a character is going to react? Well, this is the book that has me feeling that way.
While DI Hillary Greene is the main protagonist, the supporting cast is just as important, and well developed, which really adds to the depth of the story. I love how each book solves a specific crime (or two) while the overarching storyline
Ira Therebel
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, fiction
DI Hillary Greene series is a great read. I did like this book as well, but it was a bit of a letdown from the last ones I read.

The main story doesn't get as much space in the book. It is almost like a side story, we don't get to know as much about different possible suspects. And unfortunately I knew right away who will be the murder the moment the character appeared. And this was not because of some clues but just because it went by the same thought process as one of the previous books. I hope
Misfits farm
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The body of a man is found in his kitchen under suspicious circumstances. Meanwhile rumour has it that one of the local thieves has got his hands on more than his usual set of tools of the trade. Somehow there is a mole in the camp so things have to be kept underwraps. DI Greene is a very likeable character that you take to easily. Her team are a mixed bunch from Janine who is having a relationship with the Hillary superior to Frank who can’t really be relied on but has a good set of “nouses” to ...more
Hannelore Cheney
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great series, love it. Thank you Netgalley and Joffe Books for the eARC and the chance to enjoy this terrific series.
The book can be read as a standalone, but I suggest reading the series from the beginning, so you get DI Hillary Greene's back story and hopefully like her as much as I do.
This particular story gets her shot, but she can't but stopped. Determined as always to crack the case, staying on her longboat to recuperate is not on her agenda. She sneakily investigates and interviews; and
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book, this is certainly a series I am thoroughly enjoying and was delighted to find out that hot on the heels of this book, the next one is due out very soon!

The plot was great in this book as normal and I loved the character development in this book and Hillary is an excellent character with a lot of baggage!

The book has plenty of twists and turns, a great pace for the plot and it is a gripping story - 5stars from me for this one and
Ted Tayler
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Terrific. I couldn't put it down"

This series gets better and better. You certainly get your money's worth. Three story lines to enjoy this time. A would-be politician is murdered. We discover the reason Jerome Raleigh transferred from the Metropolitan Police and the constant thread of Hillary Greene's late husband's criminal past is taken that little bit further. Great stuff. Can't wait to read #5.
Elizabeth Ducie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
These books keep getting better. This is the fourth in the DI Greene series and for the first time, there feel like there's real jeopardy around. Hillary continues to fight crime while dealing with her rag-bag team and senior officers who may, or may not, be on her side. Who needs criminals in an environment like that?
Kathleen Quinn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keeps you guessing

The characters in this book are very likeable and you want them to be successful. The plot keeps your interest and you will never guess the ending.
Joyce
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

DI Hillary Greene gets a case involving a minor politician who has been murdered. The man’s name is Malcolm Dale and he was battered to death with a blunt object. He lived in an affluent section of Oxfordshire. The body was discovered by his secretary. His wife is not at home at the time of the murder.

At the same time, her new boss’ boss Superintendent Jerome Raleigh has his sights set on capturing one of Oxfordshire’s major crime bosses, Fletcher. He will go to almost any lengths to catc
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for a review copy of Murder in the Village, the fourth novel to feature DI Hillary Greene of Thames Valley Police.

Hillary is pleased to be appointed Senior Investigating Officer in the murder of aspiring politician, Malcolm Dale, found bludgeoned to death in his kitchen but with few clues and several suspects her team will have to work hard to find the killer. She grudges, therefore, having to spend time on newly appointed Superintendent Raleigh's
Joanna Larum
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 4 of DI Hillary Greene series but it is perfectly possible to read it as a stand alone. A would-be Tory politician is found dead at his home, murdered while his wife is at a bridge party. She becomes the first suspect, but others crop up as the story unfolds.
Hillary Greene leads the team who are investigating his death and we are taken along for the ride, learning more about each suspect and also about the members of Hillary's team. There are so many twists and unexpected events that I was
Nerys Roberts
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A local businessman who’s hoping to become the next local MP is found murdered in his kitchen and DI Hillary Greene and her team are on the case. There’s no olive apparent and nobody in the small village saw anything out of the ordinary. Hillary is also involved in a raid on the force’s nemesis - drug dealer Lee Fletcher - intelligence says he’s expecting a large drug delivery and is going to be there in person when it arrives. Superintendent Raleigh seems keen to enter Fletcher’s premises as so ...more
Sheila Howes
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
*Thanks to Jill Burkinshaw for the free copy in exchange for an honest review*

In this book, Hillary's main case is a would-be politician, who is found battered to death on his kitchen floor. No-one has a straight forward alibi, but no-one seems to have a serious motive for murder. Just as she starts making headway, another case that she's involved with has a fatal development, and everything grinds to a halt.

Can Hillary solve two cases at once?

This is the fourth in the DI Hillary Greene series,
Marion
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book in the DI Hillary Greene series, it could be read as a standalone though I`d definately recommend reading them in order as then you can keep up with the personal stories of Hillary and her team which run in the background.
In this offering we have the investigation into the murder of the local political candidate, which throws up plenty of suspects and the killing of a local drug dealer, Lee Fletcher, who in the past has always managed to evade prosecution.
Lee was the subj
John Lee
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is the fourth of the series, I have had to miss the third as I couldnt find it and took the risk that I wouldnt be missing too much. Certainly I slipped back into the story quite easily and I didnt notice any gaps or changes in the backstory.

After not being over enamoured with the first two books in the set, I am pleased that I persevered. This one had a bit more excitement and there was even a couple of puzzles for the reader to solve.
True, the first one fell into the category of
Lorraine Webb
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the best Hillary Greene book yet and I have already downloaded the next one to read. As before, I did get a little irritated by the need to retell parts of back-story, obviously necessary in some form to allow for continuity of the overarching storyline but it would perhaps have been better in a foreword rather than as part of the general plot. There were far fewer repetitive themes, however, in describing the characters (though the author does seem to have a bit of a hang up about Tomm ...more
Nancy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DI Hillary Greene is called out to a murder of a local candidate for office. Hard to see who could be responsible. Her team is working every angle but coming up with nothing. In the mean time Hillary is called out to a raid on a drug dealer. Those armed are to go in first and then when clear the unarmed go. The team leader has decided to go before the coast is clear. Out comes an armed suspect and Hillary is shot in the hip. The more she thinks about it as she is recovering the more she wonders ...more
Carole Gourlay
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MURDER IN THE VILLAGE is the fourth in a series and I hope we’ll get to read the rest of them.

The book starts with a murder of a politician and despite doing their best they are not doing very well with solving it. Then, along comes another case which throws a spanner in the works, and a snifter of corruption. The story focuses on the second event, and moves along at a cracking pace, with Hillary at the forefront. She really is a likeable character with her razor sharp mind.

She solves both cas
Kerry Henderson
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having not read the first books I wasn't sure how easy this would be to follow but this was given to me in exchange for a review so I gave it a chance. The story was east to follow and gave enough information that I didn't need to read the earlier ones I am now planning on it.

This was an interesting read with some good characters. It's not often the main character is injured so early on but it added an interesting twist to the story.

I think the main murder did get a little bit lost in the book
Sheri
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*spoilers * I'm totally addicted to this series! The Books keep getting better and better. I love Hillary Greene and this particular book proves that she's not infallible. Shot in the libe of duty and forced to take some time off, she makes a point of doing some digging on a cold case involving her new DCI. What she finds surprises her and she is forced by her self conscience to give the file too Her boss' superior. The problem is keeping the poison cherub, Frank Ross, and herself out of the pol ...more
Andrew
Although this is the fourth book in a series, I was keen to read it because of the Oxfordshire locations.

It was first published in 2006 under the title 'By a Narrow Majority '.

I soon found that I liked the writing style and the characters in this novel.
The descriptions of the people and locations help to add a sense of reality. The story develops at a fast pace and has some clever twists.

This is the first book by Faith Martin which I have read.

When I have posted this review I intend to start
Pgchuis
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
This one was a disappointment; the murder case Hillary is involved in is uninteresting, the focus shifts away from it for large chunks of the novel, and its resolution underwhelming. More of the emphasis of the novel is on a raid and a corrupt senior officer, which was marginally more interesting, but ends abruptly and left me with lots of questions: (view spoiler) ...more
Mainer207
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This series keeps getting better. This has been my favorite so far. A simple (?) murder plus a few unrelated cases cause Hillary a lot of pain and aggravation. They have a new Detective Superintendent who also causes his own sort of aggravation. All in all, Hillary and her crew have a lot to deal with, professionally and personally.

I have already downloaded the next audiobook with mixed emotions. I’m excited to hear the story; I’m disappointed that it’s the last book available at Audible. I hop
Rose
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blimey

I absolutely love British whodunnit. It’s a genre all to itself. It’s not as graphic as most American authors but the reasoning processes behind the investigation are explained in detail. I like following that thought process. The language takes a bit of getting used to but that’s also part of the charm. I love that this is a series so there gets to be some character development over the course of the series. I also like the main character, DI Greene.
alan barnett-jones
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good detective read

I am really enjoying this serious of crime novels. This book was a quick read . The characters are believable and Faith makes them all individuals. It is the usual format with crime needing to be solved ,along with the underlying story lines that run through the previous books.
A little bit confused as to how the book was stolen from the locked boat and the bank name was known to the thief, but didn't distract from my enjoyment of the novel.
Rebecca Howie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
After I read Murder of the Bride, I wasn't quite sure whether this was a series I could enjoy, but Murder In the Village changed my mind. There was far more going on in this book, and there were plenty of twists, which kept things interesting. Like with the last book, MITV makes an ordinary story surprising with its solution, and I could read the next book purely out of curiosity over who committed the murder.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Murder at the Manor (Libby Sarjeant #9)
  • A Death in the Highlands (Euphemia Martins Mystery #2)
  • Snowballs and Scotch Mist (Belchester Chronicles #3)
  • Honour Among Punks: The Complete Baker Street Collection
  • The Death of a Mafia Don (Michele Ferrara, #3)
  • Cop To Corpse (Peter Diamond, #12)
  • Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here! (87th Precinct, #25)
  • The Hitwoman and the Family Jewels (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #3)
  • The Vanishing Box (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #4)
  • The Case of the Missing Brontë (Perry Trethowan, #3)
  • Copper Heart (Maria Kallio, #3)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Making Mischief (A Cass Shipton Mystery #3)
  • The Mansions of Murder (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan #18)
  • Knights Out (City Knight #4)
Faith Martin is a pen name of English author Jacquie Walton, who is best known for her popular detective series, starring Detective Inspector Hillary Greene.

As Joyce Cato, she writes more classically-inspired 'cosy' murder mysteries. As Maxine Barry, her latest romance novels are now available from Corazon Books. As Jessie Daniels, her 'spooky' crime novel, The Lavender Lady Casefile came out

DI Hillary Greene (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Murder on the Oxford Canal (DI Hillary Greene, #1)
  • Murder at the University (DI Hillary Greene, #2)
  • Murder of the Bride (DI Hillary Greene, #3)
  • Murder in the Family (DI Hillary Greene, #5)
  • With a Narrow Blade (DI Hillary Greene, #6)
  • Murder in the Meadow (DI Hillary Greene, #7)
  • Down A Narrow Path (DI Hillary Greene, #8)
  • Murder in the Garden (DI Hillary Greene, #9)
  • A Narrow Point of View (DI Hillary Greene, #10)
  • A Narrow Exit (DI Hillary Greene, #11)
“who want to run as MPs?’ Janine said, clarifying her shorthand. ‘And the current MP for this area suddenly announced that he is retiring next year, and” 0 likes
“Gemma crossed a pair of legs, clad in expensive hosiery,” 0 likes