Start by marking “Based on Lies: Crimes of Love” as Want to Read:
Based on Lies: Crimes of Love

Based on Lies: Crimes of Love

ABOUT THIS BOOK

An unassumingly personable young man in Calcutta, India, Anurag is generally rational but can sometimes get carried away by emotions; emotions, that he isn't very good at expressing otherwise. He hasn't been sleeping well, lately, and has been writing a diary as he sits awake.

His thoughts revolve around his wife, Aditi, his former lover, Niharika, and a loca
ebook, Expanded Distribution Edition
Published December 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Based on Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Based on Lies

Start your review of Based on Lies: Crimes of Love
Victory (DKB)
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
A well-written psychological thriller that centers around Anuraag Sanyal, the protagonist. It is filled with twists and turns in such a way that if you don't play close attention, you might get lost. I didn't really enjoy this novella, and I also didn't hate it. The book is short and fast-paced and I so much admired the poetic writing style of the author.

Anuraag Sanyal, a married man, documents his life, past and present experiences into his diary. Hold on to your horses because this book will
Rissa
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nook
This was short and confusing. At first I thought it was going to be a high intensity thriller of love and lies but it was slow and I couldnt follow.
There was something about his lover being killed three years ago and his wife still oblivious of his love for this dead woman thatdulled the story. Maybe it was because it started off with her dead and there wasno mysteries leadingup to her death.
I wasnt connected to the characters and didnt follow the plot.
Alex Bodnar
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am an indulgent person, don’t get me wrong. I even wanted to give this book 3 stars, but I just can’t, because it’s really bland, unfortunately.

Thankfully, the story is short, yet, it’s really confusing. The characters were unlikable, and I basically wanted to murder them myself. I didn’t even like the “bicycle kid”.

I liked the author’s writing style a little bit, but for most of the time, I felt like this book is composed of too many descriptions and less ideas that contribute to the plot.

I
Anuradha Gupta
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Based on Lies, It Begins by Debarshi Kanjilal is a psychological thriller, the first of a 2-series novella, following the life of the protagonist Anuraag Sanyal. Living in Bengal, this married man pens down entries in his diary about his life, past and present, and takes the reader on a surprise ride.
The story opens with Anuraag in the middle of the night, suffering from insomnia, writing in his diary about everything under the sun, his childhood, his troubled marriage with Aditi, his past lover
Tam
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gritty and intense. An edgy mystery with twist after shocking twist. A great, fast-paced plot featuring complex and compelling characters. I couldn't put my Kindle down!

If you like dark, twisted suspense as much as I do, you can't go wrong with this book!

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
Kimberly
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Book Sirens for the free digital copy in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. All opinions are my own.

Based On Lies by DK is a Novella that is quick paced, dark and a little disturbing. There are times when I had to go back and reread parts because I was a bit confused with which character was speaking. I may have to check out the follow-up just to get closer.

Overall an okay read.
Aman Mittal
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Based on Lies: It Begins is the first in a series of two novellas published in 2017. The main element used in this novel is of psychological thriller following the life of Anuraag Sanyal, the protagonist of the novella. The writing certainly displays the dark corners of an imaginative mind.

The plot starts with the protagonist sitting in the middle of the night, suffering from insomnia writing in his notepad about the event of his past life. The storyline somewhat follows this pattern and a reade
Cheryl
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
In the beginning I was very confused. It seemed that each chapter focused on a different person but I had trouble keeping them straight and trying to learn who each person was at the same time.

Anurag is the main voice. This book is from his point of view. So from this angle I am able to form somewhat of a connection with him but the other characters are voiceless. In fact; Anurag's bitter attitude towards his wife and former lover makes me turned off by them.

I did realize that the chapters see
Sharon
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are lots of twists and turns in this well written psychological thriller. It’s a story that you have to pay attention to when you are reading it, or you shall become lost and confused. It’s written in a diary format and so it’s really from one person’s point of view and as the story progresses it becomes more sinister. It’s a part one and so it does end on a cliffhanger of sorts. I enjoyed reading this, I made sure I had time to read the entire book cover to cover in one sitting, it’s how ...more
Divya Mahajan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A psychological thriller that throws curve balls in every chapter. A story that innocently starts with what looks like an unhappy marriage soon turns sinister as the past secrets are revealed . There are no heroes or innocents in this story but everyone seems to have a dark secret and no one is innocent.
These skeletons of the past are revealed in a diary kept by the protagonist Anurag. The story ends on a cliffhanger where the diary is left for his wife to be found and what she does with the dia
Mary
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. I did not particularly enjoy this book, to the point that I do not intend to finish the tale in the sequel. It was concise and well-written technically; however,unless you read this in one sitting you may need a scorecard to keep the players' relationships straight. I found the characters to be momentarily relatable, but, overall, unlikable. In summary, unless you like really dark story lines, with cha ...more
Billie
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Tina
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Based On Lies was a very intense story with realistic characters. It reels you into the story and doesn't let you go. Can't wait for the next book.

Nayan
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read my detailed review here - http://www.nayanbasu.com/2018/03/book... ...more
basicbitchreadsnotsobasicbooks  Karen Simmons
DNF! I was initially intrigued by this story, but y quickly out got too weird and confusing. This author should instead write dark poems.
Ruth
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2020
This was a review copy from Book Sirens. Oh my! Two stars was pushing it. So confusing and ended abruptly. What was truth? What were lies?
Shankha
Deborah  Colgrove
Mar 23, 2018
Sierra Marsh
Apr 03, 2018

• The Hollow Gods (The Chaos Cycle Duology, #1)
  • The Ninth Session
  • Come Join the Murder
  • What I Did
  • The Monster Inside: Surviving Sexual Abuse and Architecting a Life of Resiliency
  • BEAST OF NEW CASTLE: The Heart-Pounding Battle To Stop A Savage Killer
  • My Son, The Killer: The Untold Story of Luka Magnotta and "1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick"
  • Hunches in Bunches
  • 14 Steps to Happiness
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie
  • The Library Card
  • Fallible: a memoir of a young physician's struggle with mental illness
  • Catching Fireflies
  • A Rose for Emily
  • This Is Just to Say
  • The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
  • Hope the Little Fox
Debarshi Kanjilal (DK) is an urban fiction writer based out of Bangalore, India. His debut novella, Based on Lies, was touted as a gripping psychological thriller by several reputable reviewers. In 2020, DK returns with his latest novella, SuperBu: Homecoming, an emotional journey of a family and their dog.

Debarshi ran the ‘God of Absurdity’ blog from 2012 to 2015, which published humorous anecdot