Start by marking “Girl Reporter” as Want to Read:
Girl Reporter

Girl Reporter

(Cookie Cutter Superhero-Verse #2)

From the award-winning author of Cookie Cutter Superhero and Kid Dark Against the Machine comes a brand new novella about girl reporters, superheroes, and interdimensional travel

Published December 19th 2017 by Book Smugglers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Girl Reporter, please sign up.
Serena Not that I know of but you can listen to it read by Tansy Rayner Roberts on her podcast Sheep Might Fly : https://sheepmightfly.podbean.com/e/g...
Serena Here is the book distribution:

Here is the book distribution:

In a world of superheroes, supervillains, and a machine that can create them all, millennial vlogger and girl reporter Friday Valentina has no shortage of material to cover. Every lottery cycle, a new superhero is created and quite literally steps into the shoes of the hero before them--displacing the previous hero. While Fry may not be super-powered herself, she understands the power of legacy: her mother is none other than the infamous reporter Tina Valentina, renowned worldwide for her legendary interviews with the True Blue Aussie Beaut Superheroes and her tendency to go to extraordinary lengths to get her story.

This time, Tina Valentina may have ventured too far.

Alongside Australia's greatest superheroes--including the powerful Astra, dazzling Solar, and The Dark in his full brooding glory--Friday will go to another dimension in the hopes of finding her mother, saving the day, maybe even getting the story of a lifetime out of the adventure. (And possibly a new girlfriend, too.) (less)

Start your review of Girl Reporter
TheBookSmugglers
A new novella coming from yours truly <3

LGBTQIA (bi mc)
Stephanie
Tansy Rayner Roberts is one of my favorite short story & novella writers in the world. I especially love the stories set in her Australian-superhero world, and I think this latest one might be her very best so far. (It's a standalone story - you certainly don't have to read either of the earlier stories first - but having read the others, I've really enjoyed all the developments across time!)

I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this novella from the Book Smugglers, and I loved it so much,
Laura (bbliophile)
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! If you like superheroes, epic battles with space queens, f/f relationships, and reporters, you'll love this!
Stas

Ugh. Hard to review this one.
This is so weird. It feels like a caricature. Even though important issues were raised and handled well, there's just a little too much fun and not enough serious. There are parts I loved, but largely I can't take this story as seriously as Kid Dark.

I loved getting back to this world. But I'm not too keen on this girl, reporter or not.

Friday has SO much growing up to do. Because right now she is a brat. Worse yet - a privileged, first-world-problems brat (
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017, review
Disclaimer that Tansy is one of my favourite authors and we get plates of gyoza and drinks when conventions arise together, so this review won't be totally impartial... because it doesn't have to be. Look to the awards she's won, everyone loves Tansy!

Putting all that aside, we're back in the Cookie Cutter Superhero-verse we were first introduced to in the Twelfth Planet Press anthology Kaleidoscope, saw again in the novelette Kid Dark Against the Machine published by Book Smugglers in 2016, and
Tsana Dolichva
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Girl Reporter by Tansy Rayner Roberts is a novella set in the same universe as her short story "Cookie Cutter Superhero", published in Kaleidoscope, and the novella Kid Dark Against the Machine. You don't have to have read the earlier stories to enjoy or understand Girl Reporter, but the characters from the earlier stories show up and provide minor spoilers for their backstories.

This novella was a positively delightful read. It blends Roberts' humour with social commentary on the state of superh
Rene Sears
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight from start to finish. Friday Valentina has grown up the daughter of her famous mother, Tina Valentina, the journalist who brought Australia's superhero team into the mainstream and basically established superhero celebrity culture when she interviewed Solar. Friday is following in her mother's footsteps--sort of. She has a vlog devoted to superheroes and the twice-a-year Superhero Spill, in which old heroes are retired and new heroes are introduced. But things go sideways ...more
Nancy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Finished: 12.04.2018
Genre: Adult Fiction (YA); Science Fiction
Rating: A+
Trivia: Best science-fiction novella Aurealis Award 2018
Review:
I just loved this novella....perfect for commute in the train.
I had to smile while I looked around at all the millennials in
the coupé.
Tansy Roberts just nailed it with the 'new vocabulary' for the
networked, connected, vlogging, livestreaming, vid, twitter feed generation.
Friday Valentina (#SuperheroSpill reporter) made me laugh:

"There's something beautiful abou
Estelle
Bisexual YouTube channel creator who reports about superheroes? Can't forget her badass reporter mom. Lots of girl power in this novella. This was great fun with a little bit of family drama, romance, and tons of secrets. Super creative. The chapter names are a clever touch.

Note: YA with an older narrator.

More about the author + queer representation in YA @ The Mary Sue: https://www.themarysue.com/girl-repor...
Llinos
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f, lgbtq, ya
This was a thoughtful look at the pressure and power of legacies and expectations, a story about what makes a family, and an incredibly funny and entertaining superhero adventure. I loved how much time this story spent exploring the world of superhero journalism – who gets to tell the stories and how, what gets hidden or left out, and what ripple effects that has. There was tons to think about, but also tons to laugh at and squee over. Super smart and fun, highly recommended.

Read the full review
Ceillie Simkiss
Holy crap, yes please.

Read my full review here.
Paul Weimer
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Living up to the standards of your mother is no easy things sometimes. Especially when you are Friday Valentina, daughter of Tina Valentina. Tina Valentina broke barriers as a girl reporter interviewing the Australian superhero Solar and breaking news about Australian superheroes for decades.To this day, Tina Valentina is THE Girl Reporter. That’s a lot to live up to.

Living in the 21st century, instead of writing for outfits like Women’s Weekly, Friday has a youtube channel where she covers sup
Alexandra
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy of this because, well, I asked my good friend Tansy if I could read it early and she said yes... it's coming from Book Smugglers in December and you can pre-order it right now.

I have described this as a distillation of Tansy, and I stand by that. If you listen to Galactic Suburbia, or probably Verity! as well, you'll find as you read this book that you recognise a lot of things. Not the characters, as such, nor the plot beats, but the themes. It's superheroes and femini
Lindsay
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The third piece in Tansy Rayner Roberts's superhero short fiction series expands the format out to novella length (the previous two are short stories). In thie world of Machine-created superheroes that have been around since the 1980s there have been journalists and fans covering them since the beginning. In particular, the Australian scene was covered by Tina Valentina who scored many a scoop and ended up becoming rich off a brilliant career. This is the story of her daughter, Friday Valentina, ...more
Sadie Slater
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been following Tansy Rayner Roberts' blog for several years, ever since she did an interesting series of posts about the female characters in the Discworld books, and she's also one of the regulars on the Verity! podcast, which is one of my favourites. Recently, she's been posting about the influences for her new novella, Girl Reporter, and given that they include several of my own favourite characters (Hildy Johnson in His Girl Friday, Sarah Jane Smith and the magnificent Lynda Day in Pres ...more
Mark Webb
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the very Australian superhero world Roberts is creating across this series of novellas.

It has been interesting to watch various superhero tropes get interrogated in each novella ("Cookie Cutter Superhero" in Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories and "Kid Dark Versus the Machine" in Superheroes Reborn: Five Origin Stories are the other two). In this novella, rather than focus the story on the superheroes themselves the protagonist is a young women who is a new media
Forestofglory
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got sent an arc of the novella, and it was great! This the third installment of Roberts' superhero series but is a stand alone story. I loved the wise cracking (and bisexual) main character who runs a superhero YouTube Chanel and who's mother is an ace reporter. There were many fun over the top superhero parts but also some really touching family relationships in this. Recommended.
Kate Gordon
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO SO SO SO SO SO GOOOOOODDD!!!!
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Girl Reporter is a delightful novella that has a serious side beneath the bright, spandex-covered fun.

Friday Valentina is a new media reporter with a successful YouTube channel focused on the antics of Australian superheroes. She follows in the footsteps of her mother, Tina Valentina, who was the first Australian reporter ever to gain an interview with a superhero. I loved the relationship between these two characters. There are problems between them: Tina is often absent for work and doesn't al
Serena
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved listening to Tansy Rayner Roberts' podcast Sheep Might Fly where you too can listen to lots of her short stories! ...more
Emily Wrayburn
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: aussie-books, fiction
Review originally published on A Keyboard and an Open Mind 26 November 2018:

I was really torn about what to rate this. There are some really well done sections, but I was kind of put off by a main character who didn’t take anything seriously, so it made it hard to feel like the stakes were ever very high. This was the same issue I had with The Martian: he’s stuck on a different planet and may well never get home and he’s making jokes about Aquaman and disco music.

This book did have some really g
Natalie Haigh
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snark filled adventure

Like a snark-filled eclair, this tasty little novella went down a treat.I gulped this book down in a few hours, it was that good.

My new fav heroine is Friday, a 2nd generation journalist, a successful youtube blogger who covers Australian superheroes. When her mother goes missing (again) Friday thinks its just another supervillian kidnapping for her legendary reporter mother. When it turns out she has been taken to another dimension, Friday teams up with the lead superhero
Faith
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yep, this is lovely. Friday's a snarky, snarky narrator, and a lot of the exposition has its tongue firmly in its cheek, but intertwined with the millennial humor is a lot of great character work. AND we get quite a few secrets revealed, if you've been following along with these heroes from the beginning.
Xanthe
Completely adorable and fun. Is it weird that I enjoyed the Australian-ness almost as much as the superhero parts?
Sue Chant
A delightful tale of superheros and plucky Girl Reporters with an insightful essay on the archetype Lois Lane to round it off. I enjoyed this very much.
Elanor Matton-Johnson
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I adore this ‘verse so much. Particularly connected With Friday as I’m a baby blogger myself.
Anna Hepworth
I loved it, I got to be on the judging panel that awarded it an Aurealis Award. I'll put a real review here later...
Mel (booksandsundry)
Definitely my favourite of the stories set in this universe so far. So many great plot twist that had me cheering for joy.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
loved the way it was overtly Australian - name-dropping 90s Craig McLachlan led to a very unladylike cackle.
Ju Transcendancing
Proper for reals review to come, since I was lucky enough to get an eARC for this, but EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE! THIS WAS JUST SO FANTASTIC AND AWESOME AND WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the unfiltered glee-whimsy-gush from my brain just now. It's perfect.
----

The above review still counts, and sums things up perfectly, but for a more in depth review take a look at my blog The Conversationalist, a tiny peek of my more thoughtful revie

• The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya)
  • Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Winter's Tale
  • If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Thornbound
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Swordheart
  • Brimstone (The Fire Watcher Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Monuments
Tansy Rayner Roberts is a fantasy and science fiction author who lives in southern Tasmania, somewhere between the tall mountain with snow on it, and the beach that points towards Antarctica.

Tansy has a PhD in Classics (with a special interest in poisonous Roman ladies), an obsession with Musketeers, and is raising two superhero daughters who are going to rule the world someday.

You can hear Tansy

Cookie Cutter Superhero-Verse (2 books)
  • Kid Dark Against The Machine

News & Interviews

“There's something beautiful about the perfect hashtag. Never underestimate what can be accomplished with a few carefully chosen characters strung together behind a number symbol.

At its purest, the hashtag contains and defines and reduces a massive idea down to a single word or phrase. The best ones offer subversive commentary on themselves.

Truly, the hashtag is the epic poem of the 21st century.”
1 likes
“This is not my tragic backstory. I had a great childhood. My mother loved me. I never wanted for money or support. I get to make snarky vids for a living, and I don’t have to worry about ad income.

I am #firstworldproblems

I am #whitegirlprivilege

No daddy issues to work through here.

A phone call’s not going to change that.

And yet.”