Start by marking “Ray of Light: Traditional Regency Romance (Descendants, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ray of Light: Traditional Regency Romance (Descendants, #3)

Ray of Light: Traditional Regency Romance

(Descendants #3)

Maili Craig finally has the London Season she has always wanted, but finds it is not what she dreamed. As the orphaned daughter of a country gentleman, she does not rank high enough for the ton’s gentlemen, and her forthright manner earns her criticism. At the last ball of the season, she meets a stranger, who claims to be her aunt and invites Maili to visit.

Hugh Dickerso
Published November 11th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Ray of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray of Light

Tracy DeNeal
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maili and Hugh

The Duke of Cavenray, Hugh Dickerson, is perfection personified. Little Maili Craig, the orphaned girl adopted by a Scottish physician turned laird, is far beneath his touch. But there is something about Maili ...

After an unfruitful season of dispassionate wife hunting, the duke takes an anonymous retiring lease at one of his lesser properties and runs into not only Maili, but danger, intrigue and a life threatening mystery that forces them together.

But for an unfortunately major
Anna
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maili Craig was the third of three children adopted by the Craigs. This was finally her season—-her turn in society—and she tried to enjoy her coming-out, but two problems made things difficult. The first was Hugh Dickerson, the Ninth Duke of Cavenray-although, not a likely possibility. The Duke had pursued her friend, Christelle, last season, until her brother Seamus won her hand. Yet, here he was this season, constantly asking her to dance. He offered little conversation and for Maili, little ...more
Patti
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to a notoriously rainy day, the last half of “Ray of Light” was easy to finish. It is the story of Maili Craig, orphaned several years before when her parents were killed in a carriage accident, and subsequently adopted by Dr. Craig. She is older now and has grown into a lovely young lady, but much about her background is a blur to her, and somewhat mysterious to others. At a ball Maili meets the Duke of Cavenray and there is definitely an undercurrent of connection between them.

Maili als
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
It's always a good day when I get to read an Elizabeth John book. Her stories are a delight to read and she always keeps me on my toes.

Ray of Light is the third book in the Descendants series and probably my favorite of the series. Maili was an orphan girl adopted by a Scottish doctor. She always dreamed of having a Season, but once she arrives in London she quickly learns that English society had no interest in her.
Maili is such a fun character. She loved being herself, no matter what it cost
Susan Lucky
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ray of Light is the 3rd in The Descendants Series involving three orphans who were adopted after their parents were killed in a suspicious carriage accident.
Maili Craig is the youngest of the three. Raised in by loving adopted parents, Maili is happy, but still has questions about her past...and her future.
Hugh, the Duke of Cavenray, is attracted to Maili, but she is seemingly below his station and his mother vehemently opposes Maili as a match for her son.
When Maili, who, has not had the most s
Tina Hairston
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars!

This is my favorite of the Decendants series thus far. We finally get the backstory of the Douglas children and how they came to be adopted by Dr. (Baron) Craig and Ms. Johns did not disappoint with their origin story. There's the usual humorous and emotional moments that they experience and thankfully the H/h don't spend too much time in their own heads, overthinking everything. The characters were strong and well developed and as with Ms Johns' previous books, this story picks up
Judy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ray of Light by Elizabeth Johns
The Descendants Series Book Three
Maili Craig just finished her London Season. It wasn't what she had thought it would be like. Maili didn't find any suitors who wanted a gentleman's daughter as a bride...other things yes...a bride no. But right before she's ready to leave London—she meets a woman who changes everything she knew about her past life.

Hugh Dickerson, Ninth Duke of Cavenray had to get his mind off a woman he couldn't marry. His mother disapproved her, a
Ann Gonzalez
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Johns is one of my favorite authors. Her books catch my attention from the first page and holds it throughout the book. This book was no different. Ray of Light was a great addition to the series. Elizabeth has a way of writing her characters so that the reader builds a love for not only the hero and heroine, but the side characters as well. Her books leave me wanting more time with the characters.
Maili and Hugh's story was brilliantly written. I could not put it down. The story flows
Lois Zollars
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OF COURSE THIS BOOK IS GREAT!!!!!

I have read ALL of this author's books. I LOVE that she writes page-turners consistently, AND...her stories are devoid of sex...nice and clean...BUT TONS OF ROMANCE. IT TAKES AN INTELLIGENT WRITER to turn out these kinds of books without caving in to the demands of so many readers who prefer to read about exaggerated sex and heroes. This book would be much more satisfying for the reader if you have read the previous books connected to this current book. However,
Sani
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A series made of four books( up to date)

Series in order
1 Out of darkness
2 After the rain
3 Ray of Light
4 Moon and stars

This books is the third,

Lady, who has been raised by adopted parents, suddenly find herself facing an unknown Aunt who invites her to house so they can know each other.

Her parents were killed in an accident and she found herself along with her sbrotjer and sister In an orphanage. No one knows about them anything, till gentleman and his wife adopt them.

Staying with her Aunt sh
Ashley Reads
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this author and I loved this book. I left off with these books last year sometime so it took a bit to remember who all the characters were (all of her series feature the same characters but each book features a different story).

This one was the youngest Craig adopted daughter and it was adorable. Maili and Hugh got quite frisky with one another a few times which actually was pretty funny (still clean, no worries).
Kim Power
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely trilogy

Like the earlier two related novels, this one is something of a fairytale. It has complexity, a rather gothic but nasty mystery and a touching romance. Families can sometimes be idealised, but do many hearts not yearn for a family where they are loved unconditi9nallu? It can be read as a stand-alone.
Pat
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! It's got drama, suspense, intrigue, a great twist and lovely romance. The story is very well written and has wonderful complexity. The characters are so interesting and likable. It moved at a very nice pace, and it held my interest from the first page right up until the very end. Very well done! I look forward to reading more from this author. Highly recommended.
Rachel Di
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Nice to read about the others who have not met their matches yet. This was a fun story full of romance, action, and suspense. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to her next book.
Vicky Dedda
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love regency novels and I love books about smugglers and this wonderful book was both. It was full of intrigue, romance, excitement and lovable characters and I very much enjoyed reading this book. Read it, you will not be disappointed.
Mary
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love this author, and this is such a fun companion series to the elements series. Can't wait for more.
Emock
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the characters and would have enjoyed their courtship, but the mystery and bootlegging just muddied the storyline and made it unbelievable and too modern.
Margaret Portman
Jun 21, 2018
Ann M
Sep 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Like many writers, Elizabeth Johns was first an avid reader, though she was a reluctant convert. It was Jane Austen's clever wit and unique turn of phrase that hooked Johns when she was "forced" to read Pride and Prejudice for a school assignment. She began writing when she ran out of her favorite author’s books and decided to try her hand at crafting a Regency romance novel. Her journey into pub ...more

Descendants (4 books)
  • Out of the Darkness (Descendants #1)
  • After the Rain (Descendants #2)
  • Moon and Stars (Descendants #4)