Start by marking “Octopus (Send for Octavius Guy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Octopus (Send for Octavius Guy, #2)

Octopus (Send for Octavius Guy, #2)

When the leading actress dies in mysterious circumstances on stage during a performance of The Duchess of Malfi at the Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Gooseberry feels duty-bound to investigate. It is, after all, a great deal more exciting than the last case he was assigned to: the tracking down of a rich old lady’s errant cat!

Join Octavius (AKA Gooseberry, AKA Octopus) and his ra
Published November 6th 2017 by Seventh Rainbow Publishing (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Octopus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopus

Diana Febry
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining YA mystery set in Victorian London.
I've not read the first book in the series but had no problem getting straight into this one.
The central character Octavius is a likable 14-year-old, ex-pickpocket currently working as an office boy (chief investigator) for a local Solicitor. Attending a play with his employer, he witnesses the murder on stage of an old friend. His investigations reveal all is not as it seems.
Reading as an adult I found this a fun, light read. Well-written and
Barbara Heckendorn
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-reviewed
The second book of this series I liked very much. I like the main character Octavius/Gooseberry and his friends/family. This time he must solve the puzzle of the 'murder' of an actress and her husband. Although all the major characters are present from the outset, it needs its time until you feel who the 'real' killer is. In another the 'supposedly' biological father makes contact with him and his brother. This is another mystery which Octopus has to solve, because he does not trust this running ...more
Suzy
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in return for my honest review, and I have to say that I absolutely loved it!

I really enjoyed the first book Gooseberry, that introduced us to young Octavius Guy, former pickpocket on the streets of 19th century London, now Chief-Investigator for a reputable solicitor, but this sequel was even better!!

Octavius, also known as Gooseberry for his bulging eyes, or Octopus (by the criminal set) due to his skills as a pickpocket, finds himself thrust into the investigation of an
Connie Anderson
Here is a sensational historical fiction who-dunnit that gives nothing away until the very end. To me, it reads like an old time radio show. It leaves you breathless. It begins with Octopus, a 14-year old who is London's " swiftest, slipperiest pickpocket" that also goes by his boss, Mr. Bruff's nickname : Gooseberry. He is Mr. Octavius Guy. His younger brother's name is Julius. Octopus is also a kingpin of the underground.

Octavius gets to attend the theatre with Mr. Bruff and two of his collea
Irene Adam
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance review copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This is another interesting and very entertaining story about the further adventures of 14-year-old Octavius Guy, also known as Gooseberry, as he investigates the death of a leading actress who dies on stage under mysterious circumstances. She is also a former cohort in his previous life. Gooseberry has now been promoted to the solicitor’s Chief Investigator but, though a reformed pickpocket, is stil ...more
Bethany Swafford
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Octavius Guy has a great deal to manage, but this intrepid fourteen year old is up to the challenge! To ferret out the true criminal behind the death of an actress, Octavius uses all his wits to navigate the false clues and deceptions that present themselves.

Whenever I come into the middle of a series without reading the first book, I'm always a little fearful of being left confused. Not so with this book! The reader is given enough information to give them a good foundation for these characters
Eileen Hall
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story!
Octavius Guy, aka The Octopus, formerly a pickpocket, now a private investigator is visiting the London theatre where The Duchess of Malfi is being staged.
Unfortunately one of the actresses previously known to him, a Miss Prynn, is found strangled and he sets about attempting to solve the murder.
A wonderful Victorian melodrama!
I will look out for more from this series.
I won a digital copy of this book from Librarything via the author in return for an honest unbiased review whi
Elizabeth Dodd
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun!
Just when I thought I was getting a handle on the layers of this story, it would take off in another direction, adding yet another layer to the intrigue.
He's a clever young man who wants to leave behind his "sordid" past and make a place for himself in proper society. His past, however, has an inconvenient way of regularly showing up and pushing in to his life.
He handles it all well and with great cleverness.
The cast of characters is a wondrous mix of unlikely folks.
Even a dog!
Heather
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-owned
This was a fun, Dickensian mystery with fakeouts and plot twists and clever dialogue. I especially appreciated the inclusion of Bertha and the narrator's complete acceptance of his/her gender identity. You don't often find books set in contemporary times where that is the case so it was especially refreshing to see such acceptance and support in Victorian London.
Thepinkaholic
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Octopus was an enjoyable read. Although it is the second book in the series (I haven't read the first, but I'd like to), it easily stood alone.

The character development was rich. I LOVED Bertha/Bertram. I wanted to be her friend. I also enjoyed the characters of Julius and Octavius/Octopus/Gooseberry. I know children matured faster back then, especially orphaned/homeless children, but I did feel like Octavius was a bit mature for his age. For me, it would have been much more believable had he b
Laura Reading
While you do not need to read Gooseberry before you read Octopus, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of each. Clearly readers of Dickens and similar Victorian era themed mysteries must enjoy the talented prose of author Michael Gallagher. It is exceptionally well researched. The dialogue flows colorfully with amusing turns of phrase. Octopus is a scholarly murder mystery without being staid.

I also believe those who enjoy television investigative series as varied as Leverage , Castle and Eleme
Rose
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

This is a clever and pleasant Victorian era mystery. Gooseberry and his main circle of family and friends are colorful and likeable. The picture of Victorian life in London is well done and the details of daily life are interesting. Gooseberry’s narration is engaging and often slyly funny.

I did read the first book in the series first, which wasn’t necessary, but I think knowing the characters’ backgrounds made this one more
Audrey
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The prose in this book had a lot of flair. I always love a mystery, and I could have enjoyed this one a lot. But what was with the weird, mean-spirited transphobia? Maybe I'm missing something, since I have not read the first book, but the way Bertha was set up to be laughed at for living her life as a woman, and the way Octavius constantly misgendered her was strange and cruel. Octavius was written as having great affection for Bertha, and I would have assumed I just had an incorrect idea of wh ...more
Jeannie
Sandra Beck
Dec 22, 2016
Geralyn
Aug 28, 2017
Michael Gallagher is the author of two series of novels set in Victorian times. Send for Octavius Guy chronicles the attempts of fourteen-year-old Gooseberry—reformed master pickpocket—to become a detective, aided and abetted by his ragtag bunch of friends. The Involuntary Medium follows the fortunes of young Lizzie Blaylock, a girl who can materialize the spirits of the dead, as she strives to co ...more