Start by marking “Twig” as Want to Read:
Twig

Twig

Heidi the stick insect prepares for her first day of school in this “whimsical and warm” (Children’s Book Daily) picture book in the tradition of Where’s Waldo.

Heidi is a stick insect, tall and long like the twig of a tree. It’s her first day at a busy bug school, where she hopes to learn and make new friends. But finding friends isn’t easy when no one can find you!
Published July 3rd 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Twig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twig

Start your review of Twig
Kayla Edgar
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great lesson and beautiful illustrations of cute bugs!
Catherine Woodman
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the last book that I read in my recent spate of finding the perfect children's picture book, and it is very good, especially if you have a child who is a bit afraid of bugs or thinks that they are really cool.

There are a lot of elements of counting in the book, which could be another good aspect of a book that you might reread. Here is the basic plot. Heidi is a stick insect, long and thin like the twig of a tree. It's her first day at Bug School, where she hopes to learn lots and make n
Tori
Heidi the stick insect goes to a new school. Unfortunately, she's very good at blending in.
A cute story. Heidi is shy and quiet, so nobody notices her until she speaks up for herself. In the end, she gets noticed and makes friends.
The pictures are very busy. I'm not sure how well it would work with my toddler group, but I'd be willing to try it on my preK group.
Nancy
Interesting teamwork and friendship themes
Andrea Haas
Beautifully illustrated with lots to look for while reading the story! Can you find Heidi in every picture? Or all the types on insects hidden within the lovely pages? Very cute!
Madison
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I fell in love with this picture book when I first saw the end pages. I didn't even need to read the story or flick through further to know it was going to be a gorgeous book.

Are you a bit diferent from those around you? Do you stand out? Or maybe you are so different no one even sees you? That's the problem Heidi has. No one sees her. Heidi is tall and thin, just like the twig of a tree. It is her first day of school, but it is hard to make friends when no one notices you in the playground and
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Twig by Aura Parker. PICTURE BOOK Simon and Schuster, 2018. $18 9781534424685

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) -ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Heidi is the new girl at bug school. She is a stick bug and is often mistaken as something else or not noticed at all. When Heidi’s teacher notices what is going on, she coordinates the knitting of a colorful scarf that makes Heidi more noticeable. Heidi quickly becomes a favorite among the bugs because there are lots of things that she is able to do includi
Linda
My younger granddaughter’s class studied insects all the school year and she learned so much. Most important, however, is that she fell in love with them. I’ve given her insect books that she pores over, but this book Twig that we read last week is going to be a favorite for sure. Aura Parker has written a darling whimsical story about Heidi, not noticed at all by any of the other interesting creatures at school. She is too camouflaged! When the teacher and others hear Heidi call “I’m not a hat ...more
Jana
Starting a new school can be scary, especially for shy children. Often shy children so quiet, they can hard to notice by the others around them. Heidi knows all about that. It is her first day at Bug School and she is a stick insect. She blends into surroundings so well that the other children don't see her and the teacher mistakes her for a coat tree. Young readers will be able to relate to Heidi's problem and may even be able to consider ways to make others feel welcome at a new school. This b ...more
Becky B
Heidi, the stick bug, goes to school and no one notices her for quite a while. She begins to think she'll never be noticed, but when the class finally meets Heidi they come up with a way to not forget her again.

The problems with being too well camouflaged. You might say no one notices you, but at least no one actually mistakes you for a stick. Heidi eventually feels welcomed by the class in a way that real classes could make a new student feel welcome too. A good read before you get a new studen
Diane
“Oh, there you are, Heidi! It seems your camouflage has been working too well!”

Poor Heidi! No one notices her when she shows up at school on her first day. Her teacher even mistakes her for a hat stand. Finally, while working on her weaving, Scarlett mistakes Heidi for a twig. They all welcome Heidi and all contribute to a scarf for Heidi to wear so that she won’t go unnoticed again.

Delightfully detailed illustrations that students will enjoy perusing and finding where Heidi is on every page as
Meredith
Heidi is a stick insect whose natural camouflage is so effective that her teacher and classmates don't see her.

Not feeling seen and blending into the background is a common experience for many young people, and they will relate to Heidi. When Heidi finally speaks up, everyone makes an effort to ensure that she is included. This may encourage those on the other side of the coin who are aware of those being constantly overlooked to reach out.

I enjoyed that the main character is a stick insect. The
Heidi (or Hide-y) the stick bug has some serious camouflage issues. No one can see her at school! Not even her teacher! When finally they discover her, they make her a special scarf so that they will always be able to find her.

I could see this being used to talk about new kids coming to school, and reaching out to them (instead of acting like you can't see them!), or used to introduce camouflage in science class for lower elementary.

The little bug illustrations are cute, and bonus, there's a s
Elaine Fultz
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-2-read-alouds
Adorable and informative story about a walking stick named Heidi who is overlooked in her forest classroom (all students are other insects) until a ladybug tried to use Heidi in her weaving project as a twig. The teacher suggests they work together to weave Heidi a scarf to make her more visible. Great read-aloud just for fun or for a lesson about camouflage. Bonus is the appropriately included "Can you find these bugs?" activity on the endpapers.
Jordan Moore
Heidi is a stick insect who blends too well with her surroundings - so much that nobody notices her at their big school. That is until they accidentally weave her into their school work. Then the class comes together to make her a scarf so she stands out and Heidi flourishes. A nice, heartwarming story but I felt it was missing something to really make it impactful.
Jason
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
See, HERE's a book that is clever by virtue of its premise, as opposed to its premise being "to be clever" (I just reviewed This Book Is Red). The art is beautiful and detailed while still being simple. The protagonist is immediately likeable and the reader sympathizes with her plight immediately. It's solidly "slice of life" but also terrifically unique.
It’s Heidi’s first day of bug school, but as a stick bug, she blends right in with the surroundings and no one seems to notice her – not even Miss Orb, the teacher! When one of the other bugs picks her up to use in her weaving, Heidi finally speaks up and yells, “I’m NOT a twig! I’m me! I’m Heidi!”
Raven Black
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
LOVE the illustrations. The story I am still mulling over. I think it needs a re-read. There is something about them I like but then I am thinking....well. Maybe not.....but yes I do. However, it is a very simple story about trying to fit in and sometimes fitting in too well. Or at least in the wrong place.
Patricia McLaughlin
Busy illustrations and small print make the story as hard to find at times as the hapless little stick bug, but the bug school concept is refreshingly creative. Though an arachnid, the multitasking, web-spinning champion golden silk weaver spider, Miss Orb, is a clever choice for the role of teacher.
Jenny Hartfelder
A nice story about a bug who has trouble making friends at school because no one sees her. Once the other students realize they've not been including her, they make a special scarf so that she can't disappear anymore. A great story about friendship and kindness. The pictures are nicely drawn... Even cute, despite the prolific number of bugs.
Marcie
Don't know whether kids will spend the search time with these illustrations, but I loved this lovely story. Might be fun for beginning of a school year or kids who love I Spy, Also might be fun for buggy times of the year.
Brydie Wright
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just beautiful... More than lives up to the reputation that proceeds it. My son and I were drawn into Parker's detailed world of insects and enjoyed exploring the intracacies of each illustration, with a good story to boot. What a talent to be able to both write and illustrate this well!
Jillian
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story - when camouflage works a little *too* well, poor Heidi gets left out of most of the activities at school. (Except....she can talk? She just never bothers to until close to the end.)
I liked the class's way of making sure she doesn't get lost again.
Molly
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
No one notices Heidi because she's a stick bug. One day a classmate does, and then they make her a scarf. Then everyone knows where Heidi is and she's invited to all of the other bugs' fun adventures.
Lynn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heidi is the new student at bug school but she is so well camouflaged that no one notices her. This is a fun story with plenty of humor and sweet exquisitely detailed illustrations.

This is best as a lap book in order to fully appreciate the illustrations.
Sarah T.
So this was a lovely book! I love the style of the illustration. I LOVE that there are things to count throughout the book, and lots of finding/seeking. It also lets you talk about feelings with kids because there's all kinds of feels in this from Heidi.
Michelle Gray
It was okay. I felt, though, that instead of befriending Heidi once the other bugs could see her, they had her do things for them like reaching up high, being a bridge they could walk on, and playing basketball (which is such a tall thing).
Joy Keil
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clara
Really cute. Great illustrations, great story.
Jill
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this one is fabulous and the story is very sweet.
Lesley
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Excellent picture book with super cute story and drawings!

• Unplugged
  • Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Niblet & Ralph
  • A Parade of Elephants
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Bear's Scare
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Another
  • The Remember Balloons
  • All Are Welcome
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
Aura Parker is a Sydney based illustrator, writer & designer who makes prints, textiles and picture books. Her work is joyful, imaginative and brimming with details to explore. Her storytelling inspires imagination, courage and confidence in young readers. Aura's debut picture book TWIG, a CBCA Notable for Early Childhood 2017 is out now.

'Whimsical and warm.'