Start by marking “Art of War” as Want to Read:
Art of War

Art of War

Charity Anthology: All proceeds going to MSF (Doctors Without Borders).

“War, my friend, is a thing of beauty.”

How do you get forty fantasy authors to contribute short stories for a war-themed anthology without paying them? It sounds as if there should be a good punchline to that, but all Petros Triantafyllou did was twist the moral thumbscrews and tell them all the profit
Published February 13th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Art of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of War

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Boom! Here it is! I have so many authors that I love in this book and that I'm friends with on Goodreads. BUT! I did not read this book free on kindle unlimited. I did not get a free copy like some of my friends from these authors. I bought the paperback at full price so I could give as much of the money for the charity. This book is supposed to be giving all the money to Doctors Without Borders and I'm all about charity. I think this is wonderful. I think these authors are awesome. The ones I k
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the stories. :)
Petrik
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: owned-ebooks
ARC provided by the editor in exchange for an honest review

Art of War: Anthology for Charity is an anthology that deserves your attention.

Full disclosure first: I am one of the reviewers for Booknest.eu, and although this is an anthology produced by Booknest.eu, I played almost no part in the production of this anthology. I will do what I can and what I always do, and that is to offer my fully honest spoiler-free review on this anthology. Please do note that although I know Petros personally and
Melanie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

ARC provided by my beautiful future wife, Mary, in exchange for an honest review!

This anthology holds 40 short stories by some really amazing high fantasy authors. And on top of this being a really impressive writing group, all proceeds for this book will go to Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders! MSF is an international humanitarian non-governmental organization that is known for their help in war-torn regions and developing countries affected by endemic diseases. I couldn’t help b
Petros Triantafyllou
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
THIS MEANS WAR
Nicholas Eames
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm in this! Along with 39 other talented authors. I've read a lot of these stories and they've all been terrific. Also, the proceeds go to Doctors Without Borders, so I highly recommend taking the plunge.

Mark Lawrence
Feb 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story about Jalan Kendeth in this! Worth the price of admission on its own it is!

Also all profits go charity (Doctors Without Borders).

Check out the author list. There are 39 other short stories on the theme of war, and many fine authors involved.
Lukasz
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology
I love short stories and I’m always excited to put my hands on an anthology. There’s something about the concept that I find exciting.

While I bought my share of anthologies throughout the years, I can’t think of a single one that would really satisfy me.

The reason is simple, really. There are many voices and styles and I have my preferences. There’s just no way I’ll connect with everyone.

The Art of War is a collection of short fiction inspired by the theme of war. The project was started by Pet
J.P. Ashman
Nov 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Incredible list of contributors. Incredible artwork. So very proud to be a part of this charity anthology.
Anton
The lineup of authors is amazing! I could only wish that editors would include K.J. Parker and Richard Nell and I would be a happy man :)

A broad and diverse collection of circa 40 short stories. Perfect fantasy fiction 'tasting menu' or an opportunity to savour more stories from the authors you already love. I also specifically want to commend the charitable nature of this project and its fantastic execution. For this alone - it deserves 5*.

My personal favourites are (in the order of appearance)
Richard Nell
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall/tl;dr
A dark, wonderful fantasy anthology with a mix of newer and established authors. If you read this and don't end up with several books on your TBR pile, I'll send you your money back. OK that's a lie, I'm very cheap, and actually the proceeds here are for charity so you really shouldn't have asked, you monster.

A note on my reading bias.
I've read almost none of these authors with the exception of M.L. Spencer (1 of her books), and Mark Lawrence (erm, mostly, all of them...). So I wen
Andy Cretney
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Was a bit apprehensive starting this book, best part of a thousand pages, nearly forty authors. Some I’ve read, some I’m going to read and some I’d not even thought of reading. I’ve read many books and wondered how you’d manage to get the same depth of plot/story in what is, in essence a chapter. Also how do you review a book that is a selection of short stories by multiple authors. Here goes, spoiler free and no name dropping.

5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

What you see is what you get, some of the best authors
Mike
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love anthologies. I love being able to read a book in bite-sized chunks, and I love being able to sample authors I’ve never read before without the commitment of trying an entire book. This was a good one, with lots of stories that I enjoyed in lots of different ways.

And now for some rapid fire thoughts on my favorites.

Laura M. Hughes: Her letter from Helen to Menelaus, and her determined refusal to let her face get blamed for the Thousand Ships, is delightfully perfect for the era of #MeToo.

T
Jon Adams
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm honored to have received this ARC. Thank you Dyrk!

I would say the odds of having an average rating of 4.175 out of 40 stories in one anthology are slim. But, that's what happened with The Art of War. I've read numerous anthologies and never come across one with this many 5 star stories. And, it's all for charity! Unbeatable.

I don't see how I could possibly review all 40 stories, but below I will list those that I felt earned 5 stars, in book order:

The Breaking of the Sky- Ed McDonald - 5
The
Sam Hawke
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the anthology from the publisher.

This is a mammoth anthology, with 40 (FORTY!) authors and stories. Now I know I tend toward wordiness at the best of times so I'm not going to set myself some kind of terrible challenge and talk about everything in here. But, in general, it's worth noting a few things about the anthology as a collection.

First, it is thematically strong, with all bar a few stories really tying in nicely to the exploration of the art of war, bu
Laura Hughes
Nov 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Super proud to be part of this bad boy! All proceeds to MSF, so go out and buy it RIGHT THIS SECOND (please).
Kristen
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog.

It’s one thing to look at that list of authors and be like ‘goddamn!’ and then it’s entirely another thing to actually open the book and look at the table of contents. I got legitimately child-on-Christmas-morning excited for my foray into this book. Many of my favorite authors are included. Many that I have heard of but hadn’t read yet. Hell, there’s a couple that I’m friends with on facebook but haven’t read yet (I’m getting there though, I promise). Having the
Bob Milne
Before I say anything about the stories inside, it needs to be stressed that Art of War is, in fact, an Anthology for Charity with all proceeds going to MSF (Doctors Without Borders). That alone makes it a must-purchase, and the 40 authors inside make it a must-read. Petros Triantafyllou has gathered an impressive amount of talent here, mixing best-selling authors you already know and love with smaller press authors you're going to want to read more of.

Rather than comment on every story and pote
Rob Hayes
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
An excellent collection of stories from a varied selection of authors. It only slightly suffers from anthology-fatigue towards the end (the game is the same, only the players have changed), and show cases a whole bunch of different artistic styles. I'm not going to review every single tale, but I will point out my personal 6 favourites. Why 6? Because 6 is my 2nd favourite number after 13, and 13 seems like a lot of favourites to be picking, so I'm going to stick with 6. And of those 6 I've only ...more
Joe Slucher
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a free copy in exchange for an honest review. I began reading this anthology while struggling to read another so I had some concerns I would run into similar problems. Sometimes these anthologies can be so narrow in focus that the stories begin to blend together or just lose my interest. I'm happy to say that this wasn't a problem for this book as there is a great variety to the stories told and the writing styles. It also helps that most of the authors kept their stories to 20 mi ...more
Emma
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought i'd make it easy on myself and do a sentence (ish) review for each story/author as I go. So:

Ed McDonald- I'm already a huge fan and this tight story about how Blackwing captains get all the shit jobs only added to my enthusiasm.

Mitch Hogan- Not read anything by this author but really enjoyed the writing. Something about the story didn't quite hit it with me, but i've added A Crucible of Souls to the wishlist for future consideration.

Laura M. Hughes- A letter to Menelaus from Helen of Tro
Anna Stephens
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
From grimdark to epic, humour to RPG, elves to birds and axes to artworks, Art of War is an anthology with something for everyone.
40 authors, 40 stories all riffing on the theme of combat, be it ambush, accident, murder or melee, this is an excellent anthology with some truly exceptional stories.
Marielle
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-own
I received a free copy from one the contributing authors in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Let me start by saying I'm not a big fan of short stories, because well... they're too short! But that said, I really enjoyed Art of War.
This anthology has the impressive number of 40 contributing authors. Some I'd never heard of, some that are on my tbr, some I've read and enjoyed and then some of my favorite ones!
While reading this anthology I've added at least 6 authors to my tbr because I was
C.T. Phipps
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
I'm certainly biased but this is forty great stories by some of the best authors in fantasy today. War is always a favorite subject in fantasy and this is by people who tackle it from just about every angle. Magic, spells, regret, and glory await within.
Wol
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
“War. War never changes.

The Romans waged war to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic superpower.

But war never changes.”
– Fallout

Art of War is a highly ambitious and admirable project headed by Petros over at Booknest, which it’s fair to say is one of the pillars of the online fantasy community. Not only did Petros wrangle 40 high quality fantasy authors into providing short stories based on the th
Dyrk Ashton
Nov 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Very excited to be a part of this! Really looking forward to reading everyone else's stories.
Luke Hindmarsh
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enough high-end, gritty fantasy to satisfy even the biggest appetite!

Anthologies. Sometimes a brilliant idea, sometimes not so much. All depends on who is included and the theme. This anthology falls squarely in the brilliant idea camp. OK so it’s for charity so maybe I have to say nice things (or at least try to) but in this case it’s really no struggle.
This is BIG - 40 stories, 40 authors big. I can’t remember when I last read an anthology as big. It’s no surprise that among those 40 stories t
Peter
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of forty war-based fantasy tales has an intelligent and sensitive introduction by Brian Anderson that discussed our fascination and revulsion by war, and also its profound life-changing effect on those caught up in it. These stories exemplify these things. Some present tales of derring-do (always with an emphasis on professionalism rather than heroic super-powers) – I liked greatly Miles Cameron’s The Storm. I would enjoy more about its world, and its worshippers of Sophia, the d ...more
Kareem
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Based on the six stories I’ve read so far it’s an easy 5 stars already. I shall endeavour to read and leave a mini review on every story, so I will edit this review as I go. But so far it has been a great book for a great cause!

The Greatest Battle by John Gwynne

I read this first, why? Because I’ve been a John Gwynne mega fan for so long I simply couldn’t resist the temptation.

Okay, so fans of his new series, Of Blood and Bone, will love this as they will get a glimpse of the man Dun Seren was f
Richard Writhen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here is my review of the Art of War Anthology, which was edited by Petros Triantafyllou for Booknest.eu. Featuring a whopping forty authors, this is an anthology with heart; all of the proceeds are going to the charity organization Doctors Without Borders. A work of art that’s trying to make a difference against the horrors of real-life war, which is obviously filled with heartbreak and atrocity and should be eliminated as much as possible from the face of our planet. Here’s the star-studded lin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please delete 'Dear Menelaus' 2 15 Oct 19, 2018 09:04AM
Petros is the creator & owner of BookNest, as well as the Editor of Art of War: Anthology for Charity.
“You say glory, necessity, pride; I say barbarity, greed, arrogance. War is a search for glory, for that particular sense of joy and satisfaction that comes from staking one's life on the outcome of a gamble. The search for a cheap thrill, with a cost too dear for Midas, and on a pretext that, more or less, amounts to 'My neighbour has a thing. I want it.” 5 likes
“Continue to fill the underworld, and the ferryman's pockets, and don't even bother trying to wash away the blood of thousands that already stains your hands. Meanwhile, I'll be over here, growing old in comfort, warmed by my home's hearth and my lover's gentle arms.

So, carry on, dear. And when the ships' shadows creep over the horizon, when the chariots thunder across the sand and fire rains down from the sky, ask yourself, which would be the better way to die?”
1 likes