Start by marking “Reckless (Shattered Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reckless (Shattered Sisters, #1)

Reckless

(Shattered Sisters #1)

Toni del Rio specialized in turning real-life crime into bestselling fiction, and she was aware that danger came with the territory. This time, however, she was in over her head. While researching the New York underworld for her latest book, she'd witnessed a mob hit. Now a thug was pointing a gun at her in a shadowy alley, and she knew she was a goner....

Undercover FBI ag
Published February 20th 2016 by Thunderfoot Publishing (first published August 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Reckless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckless

Anuradha
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like romantic suspense
Recommended to Anuradha by: BookBub
Maybe I liked this because it was more suspense than romance, maybe I liked it because Toni wasn't waxing about how well-defined his muscles were every few lines. Maybe I liked it because there were no penis metaphors, maybe I liked it because there was no "clenching of her sex".

It did feature certain tropes that one does commonly come across in books like this, like instalove, and sure there were some super cheesy moments, but somehow, the author in this takes the 'suspense' in 'romantic suspe
Dee
Awesome pacing, awesome characters, awesome writing. Loved everything about this story.

Free at the time of posting - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C1Z2DYM/...

Genre - Romantic suspense.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Shattered Sisters series by Maggie Shayne. Toni Rio comes upon a murder and Nick Manelli is forced to fake her death and kidnap her to keep her safe. But Nick doesn't know she is Toni Rio, famous crime novelist. But then Toni doesn't know that Nick is an undercover FBI agent.

Entertaining read. I liked it enough that I think I will continue the series sometime in the future.
thevintagechronicles
I thought this was good. want to continue the series.
Trish R.
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good crime story..

I read one other book by Ms. Shayne so I thought it would be a little different, since a year had passed since her other one. Hmm, there was change. There was absolutely NO sexual attraction and there was NO sex in this book. There were hints of it, “he took her to the stars.” That’s about it. So, if you’re looking for something hot and steamy don’t stop here. Ms. Shayne doesn’t write hot and steamy, but she does write some pretty good crime stories.

I did like the story and I
Nook Books and More Blog
Well written, vividly graphic, heart grasping sexy, intoxicating and inviting...It's dangerously delicious, yet fun! - Nook Books and More Blog

A Phenomenal read that pulls at your very core. I could not wait to start this book because Sweet Venom was an unusual different twist to this beautiful world. The author gives such a freshness to it that you dint get bored with the sane read after time as avid readers do.

Reckless lures you in, intrigues you, turns your world upside down. Just when you th
Kim
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I obtained this free e-book from Amazon and I am voluntarily writing a review. Toni is a true rime writer that uses actual true cases and facts that are written in fiction that lead to actual arrests. While following one of the current suspects involved in her new book she witnesses the murder of the man by two hitman in a dark alley. Nick an FBI agent is deep undercover working for the drug lord that was responsible for the overdose and death of his younger brother. He saves Toni's life by stag ...more
Eve
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. I enjoyed the characters and the plot. The romance element mixed with the crime fighting was fun.
Jodi Perkins
The first half of Reckless was a five-star read for me. I'm not much into romance novels, but this one wasn't trashy at all; rather, it was entertaining, exciting, and sweet. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Maggie Shayne for not subjecting me to long drawn out sex scenes. I'm not a prude, but such scenes are laden with so many cliches that they bore me to tears. I loved the dynamic of Toni believing (yet not truly believing) Nick was a hardened criminal, and likewise Nick believing that ...more
Kathy
Megan
The plot in this book seemed very unrealistic. I know Ms. Shayne is not an expert on FBI procedures- especially under cover- but, it felt so made-up. And, the chemistry between the hero and heroine seemed very forced. They were both attracted to each other from the get-go of the book. But, that was only lust. I have no idea how that eventually turned into love. They just seemed to wake up one day and though “well, I think I’m in love!” It felt like one of the stories where the heroine fell in lo ...more
Skye
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn’t know what to expect when I was reading this novel – I had read a Maggie Shayne short story in an anthology, wanted more, and this was the first in a series that I could get in one of my local bookstores. That was the entirety of my decision making when it came to getting this and reading it. and I’m really glad that I did. I’ve been on a romance hit lately, but the fact that this wasn’t paranormal, or historical, or any of my normal genres made me incredibly happy. I now have a n ...more
Cassandra Cridland
Karen Fontaine
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reckless (Shattered Sisters Book 1)
by Maggie Shayne

Toni Rio a True Crime Writer follows a guy straight from his brief stint behind bars to his execution in a dirty alley. When his two killers see her witnessing their gruesome work, she runs, but she doesn’t get far.

FBI agent Nick Manelli has to keep his cover intact and keep the Toni alive, and there’s only way he can do this is to kidnap her.
Toni does not know that Nick is a FBI agent, yet is trying to figure out why he did not kill her....Ni
Kelly Knapp
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/suspence readers
Recommended to Kelly by: A freind
Our protagonist, toni Rio, is a strong woman with a haunted soul. She feels responsible for her father's death. Therefore, she has become a crusader, going after serious criminals, sending her evidence to the authorities just as her book version is published. Following a low level thug who worked for her current mark, she stumbles onto his fatal hit. Observed by the hitmen, she is confused to find herself kidnapped rather than killed.

Nick is panicked when an innocent stumbles on Viper just after
Amy Haas
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I was very disappointed in this book to be honest. I am a big fan of Maggie Shayne and have loved all her books but this one I just couldn't get into. I couldn't relate to the characters and there was so much detail about every little thing that I was so bored with it. Also I hate when authors describe sex as "going to the stars" as they climax. Its so fake. I have stopped reading certain authors due to that fact. I hope this isn't a regular thing now with her books. I did give it 3 stars becaus ...more
Tonileg
Contemporary fiction that starts off with a murder and a second almost murder then a kidnapping and then taking down a city's mafia with an undercover FBI agent and a writer looking for her next best-seller.
True Crime Writer Toni Rio is a the wrong place for the right reasons, so when FBI agent Nick Manelli tries to save her from her certain deadly fate but then she does everything to make his life miserable while being kidnapped and held at his secret getaway.
There is a LOT of violence in this
Teresa Perrott
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twisting turns

Can Tori trust Nick? With a hit man and his boss after her she is going to have to even if it seems everything is not as it seems. Nick an undercover agent has infiltrated Taranto crime boss and is intrigued by Tori who witnessed the hit man kill, neither wants the other to know the truth...Undercover FBI agent and expose all writer. Can they both survive to tell the tale and bring Taranto to justice.
KateZ
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a pleasant surprise.

Action, violence with mafia baddies, a feisty woman and a hunk of an undercover guy.
What more could you want in a romance thriller.

The story was engrossing and very believable. The back story/motivation for both of them was engrossing. I liked the chemistry between Toni and Nick but they resisted because they both had secrets to hide from each other.

A nice, romantic ending with both hurt or injured saving the day.
Shirley Worley
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A crime novelist puts her life in danger after witnessing a murder in a dark alley. While one hit man takes care of the recently deceased, the other chases her down to make sure she doesn't talk. But he is not what he seems, and neither is she.

Action packed story with several surprises. First in a series. Recommend.
Kitty

Read : April 27th 2019
Rating : 4 Stars

I really enjoyed this , thrilling and fun at the same time.
Toni is a cool character, inquisitive and smart while not being obnoxious and Nick is the perfect match.
The way it ended left me a tiny bit put out, since it was very quickly resolved but the rest of the story was really, really good.
Lillie
Two characters with secrets. The hero and heroine are both willing to risk everything to bring down a drug overlord, but they don't know if the other is friend or foe. In the end, they have to go with their instincts and trust each other and find they make an amazing team. The romance and suspense are equally good.
Becki
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. The characters weren’t your typical romance novel people. Toni was a little spit fire and while she found Nick attractive she didn’t think about it for half the chapter or drone on and on. The story seemed to move along well although the story felt a bit rushed in its conclusion. Still not a bad read for a romantic suspense.
Suzanne
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Harlequin Romance impersonating a thriller

Grossly improbable tale of a true-crime author who witnessed a murder and was subsequently kidnapped to save her from being murdered by a ruthless gangster. Immediately, chemistry between the kidnapper and the witness kicks in and the romance novel takes over. Ugh...false advertising.
Clearly A Novel Idea
It was a decent read. I enjoyed it as long as I didn’t scratch the surface. I appreciate that it wasn’t laden down with sexual references and unnecessary graphics. However, I found the suspense a little light, the character development a little forced, and the overall plot line far fetched and unrealistic.

That being said, I did read it without stopping.
Alecia Brown
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprising action but Romantically predictable

Not my usual type of read. I usually go for girl fiction, more fluffy, decided to try something new. I not an action fan,But the action scenes were actually some of my favorite.
Slight cliff hanger at the end to get you engaged in the series, I’m considering completing the series.
Jackie
For reasons unknown to me read book 2 prior to this one. I am able to say that very much prefer this first book to the second because of its setup and execution of the plot as these characters were more interesting to me.

As others have stated the romance took a back seat to the suspense and it worked very well that way.
Gwamsa
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Toni Rio and Nick

This is a warm and uplifting love story steeped in action.There is “major chemistry", ignited when Toni "cycloned into his (Nick's) life". This book ,written initially on a manual, then electric typewriter, is the triumph of an author's undaunted spirit, the same spirit with which she has infused her characters. I am eager for more of her books.
Donne Knudsen
It's been awhile since I've read a Maggie Shayne book but I still enjoy her work. This was a nice a romantic suspense, a little heavier on the romance than the suspense but it was still a good read. It reminded me of a Lifetime movie but I like Lifetime movies. Definitely going to continue with the series.
Molly
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I really liked this book!! I was looking for a book with a little romance and a bit of action that would keep me on my toes the whole way through. I read a lot of books and am super picky when determining a 5-Star Rating. This book truly deserves it!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Gate to Eden
  • Hijacked (The Appalachian Foothills #1)
  • Anyplace But Here (Oklahoma Lovers #4)
  • Once in a While (The Cherished Memories Series, Book 1)
  • Avenging Angel
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • Colorado Hope (The Front Range Series, #3)
  • Her Favorite Honeymoon (Windy City Romance #2)
  • In Plain Sight (The Ivory Nation, #1)
  • Strangers In The Night (Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Barbara's War
  • Now and Then, Complete Series (Now and Then, #1-5; Now and Forever Western Time Travel, #1)
  • Remember Me
  • On His Watch (Search and Rescue, #0.5)
  • The Obsession (Princess Shanyin, #1)
  • The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice
  • Out of Hiding (Seeking Sanctuary #1)
  • Nefarious (The Blackwell Files, #1)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more

Shattered Sisters (5 books)
  • Forgotten (Shattered Sisters, #2)
  • Kiss of the Shadow Man (Shattered Sisters, #3)
  • The Bride Wore a Forty-Four
  • Hunted (Shattered Sisters Book 5)