Start by marking “Seeing into Tomorrow: Haiku by Richard Wright” as Want to Read:
Seeing into Tomorrow: Haiku by Richard Wright

Seeing into Tomorrow: Haiku by Richard Wright

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

From walking a dog to watching a sunset to finding a beetle, Richard Wright's haiku puts everyday moments into focus. Now, more than fifty years after they were written, these poems continue to reflect our everyday experiences. Paired with the photo-collage artwork of Nina Crews, Seeing into Tomorrow celebrates the lives of contemporary African American boys and offers an

Published February 1st 2018 by Millbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Seeing into Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing into Tomorrow

Betsy
I hate that phrase, “A picture’s worth a thousand words”. It’s trite. Simplistic. And horrendously true. Pictures have power. Take the story that’s been handed to us about African-Americans for decades. The images that appear in our news all tell stories of black violence, crime, and poverty. Stories that people buy into because, after all, can’t you believe your eyes? Children’s books could be a respite from that kind of misrepresentation were it not for the fact that they’re often little bette ...more
Michele Knott
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book that pairs haikus written by Richard Wright and photographic collages by Nina Crews, featuring young African American boys exploring nature. Must have.
Tasha
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Nina Crews has selected some of Richard Wright’s haiku about his childhood and created an inviting picture book out of them. The haiku focus on the seasons, the outdoors and universal childhood experiences. There are winding dirt roads, yellow kites, blue skies, rainy days, trees and insects. Each haiku is a small window into simple childhood joys and moments that are more meaningful than one might think. They invite us all to slow down, dream a bit and enjoy the nature around us.

Crews adds mode
Brenda Kahn
Haiku is so accessible. I love Nina Crews' work. Her photo collages are arresting. I love the fact that she paired twelve lovely haiku written by Richard Wright with photos of black boy joy, strength, curiosity and exploration.
Dustin
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A haiku poem is both simple and often profound, capturing a moment and a thought in three short lines. This collection takes a dozen of the more than four thousand written by Richard Wright and makes them visually accessible to children. Traditional topics such as seasons, nature, and relationships come into sparkling reality with the photo collage craft of Nina Crews. She focuses the art on African American boys to represent Wright’s youth, and the introduction and end notes provide excellent b ...more
Becky B
Haiku poems about everyday life from celebrated writer Richard Wright are brought to life with the photography artwork of Nina Crews.

I really like these haiku poems about nature that kids will get. Wright may have written many, many decades ago, but the concepts are all ones modern kids will still readily identify with. And these are all quite traditional haiku in their subject matter and form. So they are great for modeling haiku poems to kids. This is a super fast read, so it's great for a rea
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Take some beautiful haiku by Richard Wright. Add some lovely photography work by Nina Crews, and what do you have? This absolutely gorgeous book. Wright's haiku is will resonate with kids, as it's about stuff that they know about, such as writing their name or looking at trains. Crews' photography is put together almost like puzzle pieces, adding some more visual interest to the pages.

This short book would be a great introduction to poetry for young people.

-dmz
Patricia
Read for Librarian Book Group

Back in the day Richard Wright wrote a lot of haiku. Nina Curtis illustrates those haiku with repeating photos that are assembled into a bigger picture. All of the haikus feature photos of contemporary Black boys, which is great, as photo representations of elementary-school-aged boys tend to be lacking in picture books.
Lydia
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A selection of Haiku's by Richard Wright with illustrations/photographs and biography of the author at the back by Nina Crews.

The haiku's are simple (pretty much a given for that format), with fairly obvious meanings, but some are really beautiful; the last one in particular was my favorite.

No content issues.

Eti
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Betsy's review sent me to this book and I'm so glad it did. I can't wait to share this book with young readers. Just beautiful. I think it would be perfect for the Charlotte Huck award/list and so many of our must-read lists! Now I just want to write haiku & take pictures with the kids at my library!
Heidi-Marie
I loved the illustrations that went with the haiku. And I liked seeing this side of Wright's writing. It is light, beautiful, simple, and thoughtful. I loved haiku as a child, so I'm always interested how children will respond to it.
Fiction State Of Mind
A beautiful book celebrating the life of the author and also an education on the history of Haiku . I really enjoyed that these poems had a celebration of the seasons. Their are also beautiful photographs throughout the book
Lorie Barber
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the originality of this book - a photographer inspired by author and poet Richard Wright. Photos are stunning, and both the front and back matter are informative. Would pair with Richard Wright and the Library Card.
Jess
June 2018 - I loved the composite photo illustrations.
Becky
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
A collection of haikus originally written by Richard Wright, curated by Nina Crews along with a collage of photos to illustrate this personal experience.
Sherrie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book which is deceptively just for kids. The Haikus in this book are beautiful.
Ranea
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poems, beautiful book.
Ellie
This poetry picture book really just feels like a picture book with limited plot. Nina Crews' photos are gorgeous and pair well with Richard Wright's haiku.
Elaine
Uninspiring poems but excellent photo collages.
Rachel
A solid collection of haiku from a very famous author, includes biographical information in the back, the collage photographs that show what is happening in each poem are interesting.
Rebecca Honeycutt
Nina Crews has really out-Nina-Crewsed herself on this one. Excellent backmatter, too.
Maryann
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging introduction to the work of Richard Wright.
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deceptively simple and imminently complex haiku accompanied by photo-collage pictures of nature and black boys. I could hear the locusts, smell the dirt and feel the sun on my shoulders. Perfect!
Leonard
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fine collection of haiku for children with nice illustrations.
Esutterlin
Haiku - use for poetry month

Black history month / African American authors.

Getting in tune with yourself and your thoughts through nature poems
Apr 10, 2018
Apr 15, 2018
Melissa
Jun 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Nathaniel Wright was an African-American author of powerful, sometimes controversial novels, short stories and non-fiction. Much of his literature concerned racial themes. His work helped redefine discussions of race relations in America in the mid-20th century.