Start by marking “Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle #1)” as Want to Read:
Fireborne

Rosaria Munda

Fireborne

(The Aurelian Cycle #1)

Seraphina meets Red Rising in a debut young adult fantasy that's full of rivalry, romance . . . and dragons.

The brutal revolution that overthrew the Dragonlords may have orphaned Annie and Lee, but it's brought new hope to their city. Now anyone--including the lowborn--can have wealth, an education, and even test into the governing class of dragonriders.

Aristocratic by bir
Expected publication: October 15th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fireborne, please sign up.
Rosaria Munda Thanks for the question, Taylor! To sum it up: the French Revolution, Plato's Republic, and before either of these, the Blitz. As a teenager I spent a…moreThanks for the question, Taylor! To sum it up: the French Revolution, Plato's Republic, and before either of these, the Blitz. As a teenager I spent a summer commuting an hour and a half to a summer job, listening to an audiobook about the Battle for Britain, imagining dogfights as I drove, the beginnings of a story taking shape. Somewhere along the way, those fighter planes became dragons, and I never looked back.

Later, working in Paris, I wandered streets whose legacy from the French Revolution was written in defaced tombs and unmarked sites of guillotines, and I knew I wanted to write about revolution. Not about the beginnings of one--the bloody aftermath. So many beautiful YA novels have been about kids starting a revolution, but I wanted to explore the other side of it. I wanted to write about kids who had to pick up the pieces afterwards. And I wanted to inverse a closely related trope. Deposed and orphaned aristocrats seeking vengeance we have seen before--and love. But I wanted to push that further. I wanted to imagine an orphaned aristocrat who has every reason to seek revenge, until he realizes that maybe, his family did wrong, too.

And then what pulled it all together was Plato's Republic, which I studied a bit in college. I was captivated by its dystopian/utopian approach to propaganda and meritocracy. What would a society look like that granted political power unequally according to intelligence, rather than unequally according to birthright? And--even more intriguingly--what would that look like in a society where rulers ride dragons? What if a revolution transformed hereditary dragonriding into a test-based selection process?

That's where Lee and Annie's stories start. An aristocrat in hiding and a former serf who meet in the orphanage, test side by side into their new regime's dragonriding program, and have to decide if they really can leave the past behind them--and if the new regime really is better than what came before.(less)
Rosaria Munda Fall 2019!!! Exact release day tba. Thanks for asking :)

Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
9/15/18
Oh, seems there's been a title change. The Dragonlord’s Son ---> Fireborne
Not sure, if which I prefer but it's fine. I just want a synopsis soon!
---
...the story is pitched as Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Like, I understand what all of those words mean separately. But collectively, I have no idea what to expect.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
But hopefully, it means cool dragons and kickass characters lol
Anja
Sep 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
"Inspired by Plato’s Republic and told from a dual point of view, the story is pitched as Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons."

I have no idea what that even means, but I gotta say I'm intrigued lol.

Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Dec 11, 2018 marked it as tbr-unreleased
"pitched as Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons, set in the aftermath of a bloody revolution"

what does this like....... mean, though?
Alexa
Feb 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-publication
“[...] was inspired by Plato’s Republic. Told from a dual point of view, the story is pitched as Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons, [...]”

This is the most OUTRAGEOUS sentence I have ever read.
Mary S. R.
Dec 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
Inspired by Plato’s Republic...

Wow. That should be interesting for sure!

...the story is pitched as Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons, set in the aftermath of a bloody revolution.

...Wait. What???? What kind of synopsis is that?! (The kind to make me add it, that's what kind it is 😐😂)
I mean I don't even know what that bleeding means!

What that bleeding means:

What inspired you to write this particular story?
The French Revolution, Plato's Republic, and before either of these, the B
Kristen Ciccarelli
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since a book made me this happy. FIREBORNE is my new favourite dragon book.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Plato, Targaryens and HERMIONE … what?

*shrugs* I'll take it.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Sep 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
honestly I have no idea what they’re trying to sell this as and who they’re trying to sell it to (HP fans? GoT fans? Philosophers?) but damn if mentioning Plato’s Republic ain’t got me and my inner philosopher interested
Phil Dershwitz
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I grew up reading Tamora Pierce, and after reading an advanced copy of Fireborne I'm confident teenage-me would have loved this book as well. It takes some common tropes--hidden identity, birthright vs meritocracy, children forced by circumstance into adult roles--and recasts them in novel and creative ways.

The characters are nuanced and 3-dimensional, and I was genuinely invested in their character development. The protagonists are flawed people whose very lives represent a profound philosophi
Mari
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book killed me dead.

DEAD. I'm writing to you from the grave about how good this book is.

It's a book about a group of smart, well-intentioned kids trying to deal with a world of inequality and violence. (With dragons. Can't forget the dragons).

This makes the book incredibly engaging at both an intellectual and an emotional level.

Intellectually--
You know those far-ranging late-night conversations you had in college? Where you and your friends had the world at your fingertips, and the nigh
Bridget Tyler
Shelves: favorites
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this book, so I opened it up at 9pm and thought, oh I'll read for a little while. Cut to 1am where I'm still furiously turning pages and muttering to the characters about their life choices like a crazy person.

This world is so addictively absorbing, it's hard to describe. It's beautiful. It's terrible. It's thrilling. It's way too real for comfort, but in all the best ways. It is a luscious dragon fantasy, and it is definitely Top Gun with Dragons (I'M
M_nesfield
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like political intrigue, emotional depth, and character development. After reading an advanced copy of this book, I can confidently say that it has all 3. The setting of a new regime and all the baggage, intrigue, and mixed loyalties that brings with it ensured that I couldn’t put the book down. I am very excited to see the final version and looking forward to consuming the rest of the series.

I identified with Annie’s struggles, as an intelligent but not initially confident character, to grow
♠️ Tabi ♠️
Aug 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
honestly any synopsis that includes the very beautiful words "with dragons" means that I will always take a chance on it
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
OH HELL YES TO THIS SUMMARY: "Inspired by Plato’s Republic and told from a dual point of view, the story is pitched as Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons, set in the aftermath of a bloody revolution."
Malayna Evans
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like dragons, you're going to LOVE this book. Scratch that. Even if you don't like dragons, this book has political intrigue, teen romance, plot twists that keep you flipping through page after page. It's loaded with all the things that make a YA fantasy book sing, including character you'll fall in love with. A truly riveting read. Trust me, you want it!
Tova
Dec 17, 2017 marked it as 2019-releases
"Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons." I don't know what that means, but it sounds epic AF.
Shera (Book Whispers)
That is a horrible hot mess of NO! The dragons has me. Why can't a book stand on it's own merit anymore?

So just pulling stuff out of my head from all that crappy synopsis. Here's mine:
A man with questionable heritage, and stunning locks, must find justice for some tragic events in his youth. Enter a savvy book
Mara Rutherford
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like dragons, political intrigue, slow-burn romances, and brilliant writing, you'll love this book! Munda's cast of characters - fighter pilot dragon riders! - are complicated and fully realized. This is a layered, multi-dimensional YA novel that will appeal to fans of dragon novels and Game of Thrones.
Jeff Bishop
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TOP GUN with dragons!

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Hm, maybe we should eat The Rich"? Then do I have the book for you! I had the privilege of reading an early version of this book and it really blew me away. Fantasy's not usually my thing, but I'll make the biggest of exceptions when it comes to aerial dog-fighting with dragons.

If that isn't enough, there's also just a HINT of a love quadrangle. Not overpowering, like when Tostitos says "Hint of Lime" then your whole mouth tastes like moji
Laureen Bonin
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who misses the excitement, longing, magic, danger, conflict, friendship and love from JK Rowling novels will live for you again in FIREBORNE, but with high-speed, empathetic dragons. I didn't want to put it down, but work kept interfering, so I read it in three days instead of two! I found myself thinking that this was HARRY POTTER meets THE HUNGER GAMES meets LORD OF THE RINGS meets ERAGON meets ... I might even throw in some ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. Ms. Munda has enthralled with a story of ...more
Michael
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the great good fortune to read an advance copy of "Fireborne," and this is the first time I've ever recommended a book online. It's that good. For a new novelist, Munda displays remarkably expert storytelling skills. She alternates narrators, Antigone and Lee, and manages to make us care about them both, our interest and sympathy never flagging. They undergo a heroic quest and ordeal, and we come to love them for the dangers they have passed. We finish the book eager to stay with Antigone ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Jan 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: novel19s
You had me at "Aegon Targaryen and Hermione Granger with dragons, set in the aftermath of a bloody revolution." I absolutely love Plato's Republic and am so intrigued for this story!

I am so beyond excited that Fireborne will be one of the Reader Voracious Novel19 Books! More information about this book and the rest of my Novel19 class will be posted on my blog in mid-January!

Blog | Twitter | Pinterest!
Jackson P
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read a (very) early version of this book two years ago and loved it. You should read it!

Lee's story covers an angle that's pretty normal in grimdark coming-of-age stories - people and instutions he admired turn out to be evil - in an unusual way. He doesn't stumble on hidden conspiracies. He just starts paying attention to things he'd willed himself into ignoring. Lee's experiences - realizing the truth about his father and constantly doubting himself for not seeing it sooner - resonated reall
Marcy
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to receive an advanced copy of Fireborne and it did not dissappoint. It was emotional and intelligent and sucked me right in. The characters are complex and they don’t fit the typical molds, which is really refreshing. This was a story I could not stop thinking about. I just wanted to stay in this world! As soon as I finished the book, my first thought was, when do I get to read more.
Lehman
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got to read a very early draft of the book, and I loved it. The action scenes reminded me of Ender's Game, while the classroom scenes evoked Harry Potter. I think the strongest aspects of the novels were the characters, which is rare in YA fantasy, where the characters can seem secondary to the plot or the "coming of age" tale itself. That's not the case here: the characters had depth and differentiation, which made reading about their choices and consequences even more rewarding.
Michelle Mirecki
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
What an amazing world Rosaria Munda has created in her first novel, Fireborne. She transports you to a time of unrest and resistance where the only hope for the future rests in the hands of the young people. And there are dragons!
The characters are bold, intelligent and engaging. I cared about them. I was hooked!
Sarah ✨Proud Ravenclaw✨
Dang dragon fandom is acting up again...
Grace Li
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yes
A miracle of a book. FIREBORNE is about dragons, but it's also about the cost of war, the makings of a regime, all the ways trauma can linger in your bones. This book is everything it says it is and more.
Frederick
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while, honestly. But Fireborne engulfed me. Alternating textures of history, philosophy, intrigue, and the defining experience of youth all coalesce into a story that balances on a fine point. The solidity of world-building, depth of characters, and weight of emotion will sweep you away, while Munda spins you through sky battles, the turmoil of finding your place, and mounting moral dilemmas.

Swords may pierce, and cold iron may burn - this ecstatic book puts them both to shame.
Isabel Heynen
Oct 13, 2018
  • The Never Tilting World
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • A River of Royal Blood (Untitled, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Set Fire to the Gods
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Goddess in the Machine
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Deathless
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • A Thousand Fires
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea

The Aurelian Cycle (3 books)
  • Untitled (The Aurelian Cycle #2)
  • Untitled (The Aurelian Cycle #3)