Start by marking “The Place that Never Existed” as Want to Read:
The Place that Never Existed

The Place that Never Existed

For Paul and Debbie it was meant to be the happiest time of their lives. A small village wedding in front of their family and friends, followed by a quiet honeymoon in Devon.

Not everyone had been happy to see them together. A woman from their past refused to accept it. Her actions over the previous year had ended in tragedy, and had almost broken the happy couple apart.

N
Published December 2nd 2017 by Zombie Cupcake Press

To ask other readers questions about The Place that Never Existed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Place that Never Existed

Terry  (TBC)
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting from start to finish! It starts as a spooky tale, weird house and people just dissappear. Then it gets deeper and as I don't want to give any spoilers all I'll say is it really wasn't the ending I was expecting!
You really won't guess it. If you do I wanna know!
I liked the authors listed as characters book choices, fun idea, a very good unusual original book.
Edit:: I’ve recently listened to audio book of this. It’s atmospheric & is like a mini play. Lots going on.
Bella James
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sign of great writing when you don't realise it is almost dark outside and you've been sitting glued to the pages for hours. This novel has everything the genre dictates. Relatable characters? Check. Creepy undertones? Check. Twisty plot? Check. A (very) unexpected ending? Check.

I had chilling tingles at the back of my neck-especially towards the end- and felt as though I was watching one of those uncomfortable horrors, when nothing terrible has happened...but by the creepy music and camera an
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
I want to start with the cover… Simple, yet draws you in and relates to the story well. A good first impression. This is the first book I have read by Jim Ody and it will not be my last. I awarded four stars. This is my kind of story. I was interested after the prologue as that caught my attention. The Place That Never Existed is written well, easy to read and fast paced with some brilliant Characters and settings. This is a well thought out plot and story which I would recommend to you all. I e ...more
Victoria
We follow the story of newlyweds, Paul and Debbie, spending their honeymoon in a cabin in the the woods - and Paul's ex, who is struggling to move on, so joins their honeymoon uninvited, causing them quite a few problems.
They're staying near a strange house that is the stuff of local legend, where unusual things happen, people disappear and turn up dead...
The best thing for me about this book was the unique and atmospheric narration, which certainly brought an air of mystery and suspense to th
Emma
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Minds is a charity collection of short stories from the very best crime writers, and one of those who contributed was author Jim Ody. After reading Jim Ody’s short story I knew I wanted to read more by this author so was thrilled when the opportunity arose to read and review The Place That Never Existed.

This book and I got off to a rather shaky start. It took me a little while to warm to the author’s style but before long I was enjoying Debbie and Paul’s adventures in deepest, darkest Devon
Neats
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Place That Never Existed is the first book I've read by author Jim Ody. You never know quite what you're going to get when you read an author that's new to you so I was looking forward to reading this.

Debbie and Paul have just got married and are spending their honeymoon in a secluded cabin in the woods near Huntsman Cove in Devon. Far from the reaches of the internet and mobile phones the couple set out to explore the surrounding area and soon they stumble upon the old Dudley House and dec
Steven Nedeau
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Place that Never Existed is a mystery novel with an unexpected ending! Following the newlyweds as they embark on their honeymoon we get a glimpse of their lives unfolding throughout the story. Even the most perfect relationship will still feel the influences of past experiences and these two are no exception. Jim Ody did a beautiful job adding realism to his characters. The small details within each held my attention and the dialogue was entertaining, driving the story along.

As I had the au
John Thys
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish

What can I say this book kept me interested from the start to the end but I was a bit disappointed with the ending
Mistress  #darklings
Firstly, i love this cover. This appeals to me in so many ways, simple yet elegant. It provides that air of unknowing before you even open the book up.
This is my first book by Jim Ody. I'm always excited when i open a book by a new (to me) author. Usually, you can get a good feel for the writing
stye and attention to detail in the first couple of chapters. Now, when it came to this one, i was hooked within the first couple of pages.
The author has a great ability for adding that air of mystery a
Marie Beveridge
Weird!!!

I don't even know why I finished this book. Should really have just put it down halfway through. Too many characters, too many sub plots, and the strangest ending that I have ever came across. After saying that, I gave it three stars because I liked some of the characters and felt that they deserved to be expanded on and there would have been a decent novel there.
Cheryl Elaine
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this spooky journey with Debbie and Paul. It was as my first Jim ody novel and I loved the fact that the author adds humour as well as twist & suspense . Looking forward to read more books from the author
Katherine Sunderland
When you pick up this book, make sure you have settled somewhere with all the lights on, a supply of tea (or something stronger if you are of a nervous disposition) and enough biscuits to get through at least the first chapter - after that your stomach will be too tense to eat, even with the mouth watering descriptions of delicious meals and snacks Paul and Debbie keep trying to distract themselves with rather than accepting what strangeness surrounds them. Because reading this book is like watc ...more
Jo
I really enjoyed this book until the very end. The ending was crap. Massive disappointment.
Shell Baker
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading the author's debut book Lost Connections and loving it. I went into this book without reading the blurb knowing that I would enjoy it being formula with the style of writing. What I wasn't expecting was the author to put a whole new spin on things and write a story that is totally different to the first one. It shows that Jim has the ability to write in a different genre and still making it an engaging thriller. What can I say but I freaking loved it!

And a thriller it certainly is
Ursula Clarke
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ursula by: Crime Book Club
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book for an honest review.
The plot of the book immediately had me intrigued & sounded right up my street. I love a good crime thriller. I was instantly drawn in & connected with most of the characters straight away & couldn't wait to read more.
I liked all the music references as it made it more real & you felt you were actually there in the story singing along & everything had a comfortable familiar feel.
Why have I not given this a
Nerdish Mum
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2017
The writing in The Place That Never Existed is beautiful, however I did struggle with it at first as it's unlike anything I've read before, but once you get into the rhythm then it's so very enjoyable and well written. I found myself picking out lines to remember because of how well constructed they were and how much of an impact they had on me while reading. He also uses comedy and mentions of popular culture really well to lighten the tone at times.

Throughout the book I was chilled to the bon
Michelle McDonald
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book in return for an honest review via the author.
The book kept me glued right up until the last 10%. I was kept guessing about who was doing what and the significance of the house. The characters, especially Jez, were entertaining and I felt I was really getting to know them.
The book did not end anywhere near what I had expected though. I was disappointed as it felt rushed, unexplained and a little bit random.
I am afraid to say I was left a bit bewildered. The overall wr
Carole Benson
I was given this as a no strings attached review copy. I would have liked to have given it 3.5* but can't do that sadly. It means it's certainly more than just a good to read book but not quite in the upper echelons of my taste.
As the blurb describes, newly weds venture into a very remote & unique part of Devon devoid of digital communications. Throw in stalking by the groom's ex, a village populated by some unusual people, corrupt officials, a derelict house wrapped in legend, suspicious de
Helerinablogs
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sian Turner
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book to read so that I could give it an honest review. I must say, once I got used to the writing style, it was well worth the read. There are so many characters taking their own little journeys through out the book, but you can see the links building until they came together at the end. The plot line kept you intrigued and wandering what would happen next, and I found it difficult to put down. There was also a few places that did make me chuckle. I did find the last few pages f ...more
Chris Nolan
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleased to receive an advance copy of this book from the writer himself, in exchange for an honest and fair review. As the references to my two great passions, music and crime fiction, were rife in this book, it could scarcely fail to delight and entertain. I found it a refreshing change from some crime novels as it is written with humour as well as drama and intrigue. The characters are well drawn and there is a good sense of place. It tells the story of a newly wed couple who opt to ...more
Emma Tasker
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book I got this for an honest review and I can honestly say I enjoyed all the twists and turns and how people in power think they are all that and can get away with anything they want when people start disappearing from a certain house and nobody questioned it till the newlyweds come and there landlord ex police officer started to get suspicious of the activity in the house and started asking one of her old colleagues that all the fun started only thing what I didn't understand why it ...more
Jackie Roche
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book 10 minutes ago and I'm still speechless, in a good way. I'm still not sure what genre to put this into. I expected a crime thriller and I got that, but it was also so much more.
I loved the characters, especially Jez who is decidedly odd but in a charming way.
The other thing I particularly liked was the author's mention of other writers.

If you want a quirky, very enjoyable book that will give you a few laughs along the was then this is definitely for you.
Nerys Roberts
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul and Debbie are newly married and spending their honeymoon in a secluded cabin in the woods near a village called Huntsman Cove in Devon. This is a well paced novel and saying anymore about the story would lead to spoilers so I'll simply say that strange things have been happening in Huntsman Cove and Paul and Debbie become unwittingly involved. Totally did not expect the ending.
David Gilchrist
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story with a good plot delivered well. Some great characters both warm and quirky. Debbie and Paul go on honeymoon to be stalked by an ex, also with mysterious and spooky events happening in the woods. A book well worth the read.
Rena Marin
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing for Sweet Southern Book Reviews by Skylar and Rena
From the very beginning this story had my attention. The story is woven through the experiences of many characters, mainly newlyweds Paul and Debbie, but all leading to the small village of Huntswood Cove and its house of legend. While on their honeymoon in the little fishing village Paul and Debbie meet a number of locals who are a bit strange by their standards, which gives the village an odd vibe in their opinion. Finding the abandon
Betty
What can I say about the creativity of this book? All I can say is "WOW!" This is the first book I have read by Jim Ody but certainly won't be the last. I must say it is an tightly woven story that leads the reader in many directions. From psychological overtones, to several sexual encounters, to a heartfelt love that survives regardless of multiple efforts to kill it. From a honeymoon in a village that seems a little strange and has a history of missing people to an ending that the reader w ...more
Livia Sbarbaro
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How can one explain the unexplainable..? ......A mysterious twister of a read

Paul and Debbie are on their honeymoon...Very much in love they wanted to go somewhere beautiful and quiet, away from everything .This past year for them has been difficult...so they arrive at the beautiful Huntswood Cove to just have the best time they can...But Huntswood Cove isn't quite the place they expected.. Ginny is an ex,police office er ..she has seen a lot, been through hell and now she is almost in hibernati
Karen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Jim Ody. I don't know what to say but Wow. There are 4 storyline going on at one time. Paul and Debbie got married and went on their honeymoon in a strange place where near the sea with a house called Dudley House. Where no one leaves. The whole book is written around this strange house. There's no cell phones because it's a dead zone where nothing works. Christina is Paul's ex who is crazy through most of the book she is just called 'she'. Christina thinks she can get ...more
A.J. Griffiths-Jones
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a gripping read! I loved the characters, each with their wonderfully developed personalities & individual traits. Drawn to the strange abandoned house in the woods, a cleverly crafted plot sees the players meet together in an unexpected ending that I for one did not foresee. Jim Ody is a brilliant story-teller, drip-feeding his readers just enough information to keep them intrigued as they devour each chapter without spoiling the grand finale. I can't wait to read more of his books!
Jim spent 10 years writing music reviews and interviewing bands for a rock music website. He also contributed lifestyle and comedic features and piems to a number of webdites.

Jim now writes Psychological/Thrillers that often end with his trademark twist! He doesn't believe in being restrained by genres and looks to blur the lines between them.

He has had five novels and a handful of short stories p