Start by marking “Fawkes” as Want to Read:
Fawkes

Fawkes

Published July 10th 2018 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Fawkes, please sign up.
Jenna My least favorite subject is learning about history, and I adored this book! It is outstanding and the history was actually really interesting to…moreMy least favorite subject is learning about history, and I adored this book! It is outstanding and the history was actually really interesting to learn about since a lot of it in the book was real. I would recommend this book. It had a great adventure, murder plot, and fantasy elements. :D(less)

Nadine Brandes
Nov 13, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
ARE
YOU
READY?

(Okay can we take a minute to talk about how Goodreads has a "read", "to read", and "currently reading" option...but what about "wrote"? Because just clicking "I read this book" doesn't really capture what me and this book truly went through.)

*added later*

Per request from several readers, I have included a content guide below:

PARENTS'/CONTENT GUIDE

This book is recommended for readers ages 14 and up.

PROFANITY: None

SEXUAL CONTENT: brief kissing

VIOLENCE: sword fights, people turni
C.G. Drews
I'm always here for a good bit o' dark magic and assassination plots, so I was really excited to read Fawkes! I also know like NOTHING about the original Guy Fawkes, so this reimagining of London with Guy Fawkes' son as the narrator, and add in a bit of a devastating stone plague and a magic system based on colours?! Well it was great. Also I learned a lot! I mean, apart from the magic. 95% sure the Brits didn't have magic...or did they and hello hOGWARTS' ORIGIN STORY. Mwahahah...

okay um yeah,
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest |

Fawkes by Nadine Brandes is one of those books that draws you into a world, enlightens you with its magic, and then sends you back to reality, so you can enlighten others while you glow.

Nadine used the history of Guy Fawkes and the failed attempt to blow the parliament as a base to her story, that follows Guy Fawkes’s son, Thomas, into an incredible magical journey.

‘’A foundation of truth represents what life was intended to be.’’

Thomas is
Katie Grace
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you think the cover is epic, just wait until you read the book. SO GOOD.
Kelly Brigid
“Not a single day has been promised to me. Do not deny me this moment.”

Firstly, I need to express my admiration for the stunning cover. I’m an absolute cover-judger and I must say that the art work is so alluring! It is what first drew me towards this book, and the synopsis only reinforced my initial desire to dive into the story. With that being said, I’m afraid I didn’t enjoy the book as much as I had hoped. I’m not a huge historical-fiction reader, but a retelling of the Guy Fawkes assass
A parallel England, 1604
Thomas Fawkes is embarrassed. He’s sixteen now, the only student at St. Peter’s Color Academy in York who hasn’t been given his own mask and can’t speak to any color. (I’ll explain to the best of my ability, something the book itself neglects to do).

Thomas gets booted from school. With no friends or family to take him in, he heads to London, drawn by the rumor that his father, Guy Fawkes the famous mercenary, has returned to England.
After a number of misadventures, Thoma
Jill Williamson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. This is a brilliant book that fulfills every expectation. Brandes turns 17th century London into a magical place. I was captivated by the allegory of her magic system and how she blended that fantasy with history. I highly recommend this gripping and beautifully crafted book to all as it will leave you both entertained and pondering matters raised in the storyline long after you’ve finished reading.
Serethiel ☽ ✨
5 stars

// f a w k e s

OH. MY. WORRRRD. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

THIS WAS SO FREAKIN' AMAZING, YOU GUYSSS. <333

Thomas was so relatable; Emma was fantabulous. The worldbuilding was wonderfully immersive. The story was just SO masterfully written, so fantastically told... THE ALLEGORY. WAS. INCREDIBLE.

I just. Aaaaaaaaaack. I NEED NADINE'S NEXT BOOOOK! 😍😍😍
JonathanT
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect example of why I ABSOLUTELY LOVE historical fantasy when it’s done well—it’s grounded in facts but leaves plenty of room to be wildly imaginative. And wildly imaginative is exactly what this book is! Even as someone who doesn’t typically read about magic, I’ve got to admit that a color-based magic system (with MASKS and a stone plague) is so creative and pretty cool. Throw that inventive magic into London and the Gunpowder Plot, and you get a fabulously vivid setting for a ...more
Carolyn
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fantasy, ya
I love the gorgeous cover and liked the sound of this book but unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations. Based on the story of Guy Fawkes, Nadine Brandes retold the gunpowder plot in a magical version of England. Unfortunately I never got a clear idea of the system of magic or more importantly why two factions with different beliefs were constantly trying to kill each other (and the King).

What I did understand was that a year before finishing school, students in special colour schools wo
R.F. Gammon
Okay, so first of all, a MASSIVE thank you to Netgalley for giving me an ARC of this book!!!!!

Now let's talk review.

Wow! I read the Out of Time series not long before blasting through Fawkes, and while they're both very different (and I think that in general I liked OoT a little better) they both have a distinctive Nadine feel to them. So that was really awesome.

The premise of this book is the Gunpowder plot, a real event in England in the early 1600s where a group of plotters discontent with t
Nicki Chapelway
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book. This book was so good. It has me at a loss for words.

This isn't my usual genre. I don't tend to really like to read fictional historical novels having to do with actual people from history, but I've been branching out lately. And the books that I have read have all been excellent and have actually deepened my understanding of history even despite the details that are muddled.

I think maybe my favorite part of this book was actually the description. It wasn't over the top making me have
Nasom
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full Review

This was surprising good for historical fiction

When I started this, I didn't even know it was inspired by true events but as they kept mentioning people that I've heard of (King James, Martin Luther) I had a feeling the story was a metaphor!

What I liked

- I loved the fantasy elements! I liked the idea of colour magic and how if you have control over a certain colour (eg, blue), you can control any element with that colour, with the help of a mask of the same colour. I also liked th
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Thomas Fawkes is turning to stone, and the only cure to the Stone Plague is to join his father’s plot to assassinate the king of England.
Silent wars leave the most carnage. The wars that are never declared, but are carried out in dark alleys with masks and hidden knives. Wars where color power alters the natural rhythm of 17th century London. And when the king calls for peace, no one listens until he finally calls for death.
But what if death finds him first?
Keepers think the
Mary Weber
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.
Cesar
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.75 stars.

Historical fiction has always fascinated me in the sense that I am reading a story that takes place hundreds of years ago. I get to read about how people lived back then, important historical dates and figures, as well as learning something new.

Add in elements of fantasy to them and it makes the reading all the more fun. You'd never expect to see magic in a story that takes place in 18th century USA or in 14th century Asia. Any time in history is fun to read about.

Fawkes (Which is da
Roobie
4 stars

I reeeeeally enjoyed this!

It was a tiny bit slow at times and I didn't really care for Thomas (he was kinda selfish and whiny) but I loved the rest of the characters and the story was awesome. The historical fantasy aspect was great and I loved the masks, the colour powers and the fact that Guy Fawkes and the plotters were actually in the book.

Also,
EMMA IS M
m a r y l i z
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED.

I'm going to need time to recover, my friends. Just . . . my mind is blown.

L I K E S:

- The characters were kind of phenomenal. It's been a long time since I've read about characters who completely stole my heart. THEY WERE AMAZING. I expected to dislike Thomas, especially since (spoiler alert :P) he's really selfish at first. But personally? I thought he was extremely relatable and human, and he had one of the greatest character arcs I've witnessed in a while. Is he selfish
Elaina
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
~3.5 stars~

This one was a lot different than I was expecting...I liked Nadine's writing and the narrator's voice was great! (Always enjoy accents :P lol) Idk, just some things felt weird to me...like the white light. I did not know if it was supposed to be good or bad and it was a little bit confusing....and a little creepy honestly lol It was not terrible, just not what I was hoping for I guess.
Katelyn Buxton
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, when I heard that “historical fantasy” was actually becoming a real genre, I was skeptical. In my head, the two terms tended to cancel the other out, so what could there possibly be left to write about? Worse, would it be hard to tell what was true and what was not? However, my skepticism wasn’t the totally cynical kind, so I picked up Fawkes when it was on sale a while back so I could satisfy my curiosity.

And wow. My skepticism is gone! Thomas was an intensely root-for-able pr
lisa elis
Oh wow Nadine Brandes DELIVERS AGAIN and I'm an eternal fan 😂 This book is set in autumn/winter so HEY YOU ALL PERFECT TIME TO GO READ IT!!

I started reading and the first third of the book was kinda slow?? So slow that I let off a third way through for TWO MONTHS basically. Until a great friend reminded me I SHOULD BE READING THIS so I quickly picked it up and SWOOOSH FINISHED IT THAT VERY DAY (I think??).

So yep other than that slow beginning I DEFINITELY ADORE THIS BOOK.

Thomas was a great main
Jane Maree
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fawkes is a Historical Fantasy retelling of the Gunpowder Plot, from the perspective of Thomas--Guy Fawkes' teenage son. It follows his struggles and journey as he becomes part of this plot to kill the king and rid England of the terrible Stone Plague. The very plague that Thomas himself is slowly dying from.

I'm an avid reader of anything Nadine Brandes writes, and I had high expectations coming to this book. Fawkes stood up to each expectation and absolutely hooked me in from the very beginnin
Atlas
Safety is an illusion, Thomas Fawkes

* * *
3 / 5

I loved the premise of Fawkes: historical British fiction with a fantasy element. Thomas Fawkes is the (invented?) son of Guy Fawkes but added into this classic story of gunpowder and treason and plot is a really innovative magic system. But on the downside, this was a very long and slow read for the length.

Hadn’t I always dreamed of being her knight? Saving the day? Only I’d saved nothing. She’d been her own knight and I’d stood by like a gaping spe
Hayden
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally, Fawkes was not a book I thought I would be interested in reading. Though historical fantasy sounds good to me in theory, it's always been hard for me to get past the meddling in history that the genre requires. However, in more recent years (and strangely enough, the more I learn about history) the less concerned I've been with this. Case in point: My Lady Jane. A few misgivings aside, I thought it was a hilarious and impossibly charming historical fantasy.

Fawkes, therefore, suddenly
Addy S.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah, but you have something they don't.

And what's that?

Something worth fighting for.

Wow. THIS BOOK. Ever since reading the A Time to Die trilogy by Nadine, I just knew I had to get my hands on Fawkes! Her writing is p h e n o m e n a l, and the whole storyline of this one captured me from the beginning. While it took me the majority of January to read it, I still loved it, and can't wait to read more from her.

Content:

-Language: n/a
-Romance: one kiss, hand-holding, nearness/affectionate gestures,
anika
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book, I had never read anything by Nadine Brandes. I literally only bought the book because of the hype, the good reviews, and the cover (IT'S A GREAT COVER BTW). Thomas was such a relatable character, and I loved that as his views shifted and changed over the book it caused the reader's to do the same. Like honestly I was reading the end and paused to realize that my views on what was right and what was wrong had slowly shifted with my noticing. I LOVED IT!
Abigail
Oh my word, why did it take me so long to finish this masterpiece?!? This book was so good and had me till the very end. The characters, the plot, everything about this book was amazing!!!

White Light honestly was probably one of my favorite characters along with Thomas and Emma. White Light added so much humor it was very enjoyable to read. 😂😂

That ending though nearly had me in tears. This book deserves so much recognition and praise. Mrs. Brandes, you have written a beautiful masterpiece. I ca
Iryna *Book and Sword*
2/5 stars

Sadly this is a DNF for me.

It boggles my mind how a book that supposedly has everything I love in books ended up being the book that I didn't love.

Historical fiction? - check!
Beautiful cover? - check!
Magic woven into history? - check!
YA book that doesn't have any unnecessary and annoying sex scenes? - check!
The execution of all of those things together? - ehhh...

I honestly don't know what, or even how that happened? The premise seemed so promising. The cover obviously caught my cove
Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2018 marked it as didn-t-finish
Another DNF...

The story's not strong here. The idea of wielding magic with colours controlled by a face mask is not really an interesting one to me strangely enough. It seems limiting but at the same time not... the rules aren't defined and everything is rather vague. And the Guy Fawkes aspect is just... I mean it's just a different story and I don't think the colour magic added anything to it at all.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Jan 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Just got approved for this on NetGalley!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral, #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
  • The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm, #3)
  • The Hive
  • Unbreakable (Unblemished, #3)
  • The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Secret of the Realms: An Extended Novelization
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Shadow Hand (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #6)
  • The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle, #3)
  • Between Before and After
  • Mythical Doorways (Fellowship of Fantasy, #3)
  • Accelerant (Abiassa's Fire, #2)
  • The Wounded Shadow (The Darkwater Saga, #3)
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #0.5)
  • Aligned (Immortal Essence, #0.5)
  • Reclaiming Shilo Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #2)
Nadine once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research. She's the author of FAWKES and of the award-winning The Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at the mention of soul-talk, Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she's not busy writing novels about bold living, she's adventuring through Middle Earth or taste-testing a new chai. Nadine and her Auror husband are buildi ...more
“Take a breath, Thomas. There has always been fear. There will always be fear. It's up to us to stand tall, even when the fear demands we bow to it.” 17 likes
“Have you no honor to stand for your beliefs?” “Standing for my beliefs isn’t always the same as standing for truth.” 11 likes