Start by marking “The No-Spend Challenge Guide: How to Stop Spending Money Impulsively, Pay off Debt Fast, & Make Your Finances Fit Your Dreams” as Want to Read:

In this book you’ll learn how to use No-Spend Challenges to reach your financial goals faster and transform your spending habits to finally be able to stick to a budget.

Budgeting and money management are some of the hardest concepts for people to nail down. You can have all the knowledge available and suck at executing it.

Jen Smith, creator of the debt freedom blog
Published November 8th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The No-Spend Challenge Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No-Spend Challenge Guide

Start your review of The No-Spend Challenge Guide: How to Stop Spending Money Impulsively, Pay off Debt Fast, & Make Your Finances Fit Your Dreams
Heart1lly
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I got this book for free a month or two ago, after seeing it on a friend's facebook page.

I had been planning on doing a no-spend challenge anyway after realizing that setting budgets just wasn't working for me and my fiance anymore. To be honest, I think I'll keep about 30% of the advice in here and chuck the rest because I've either tried it and it didn't work, or because it didn't apply to me. I don't have student loans and I'm not actually in debt (huzzah!), I just want to live a more
Jessica Blydenburgh
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has the most relatable and realistic advice I have gotten about paying off my debt faster! It’s motivated me to try a No Spend Challenge so I can achieve this goal. In the past I felt stuck, like my debt was just too big of a monster to tackle. Hearing Jen’s story, and how she started off feeling the same way, has encouraged me to begin taking baby (or big girl) steps towards that goal. I follow her blog at https://www.savingwithspunk.com and she gives great advice and encouragement to ...more
Angie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm debt-free, but there's some good tips in here. I like having money.
Chelsea
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfic, 2018
I'm not in dire need of a no-spend challenge, I just thought it would be fun to try, but this "guide" is a let-down.

While this might work for someone who has never tried a "no-spend challenge," I don't think it's worth it for those of us who have, or for anyone who has ever had a budget in general. In fact, I'm not even 100% sure I would recommend this to a complete newbie to "no-spend" because other than some very practical advice (like making a meal plan and grocery shopping list, or doing
Laura Farrell-Wortman
Jun 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was free on Amazon. It’s basically just a long blog post. Did you know that making coffee at home can save you money? GROUNDBREAKING.
Lesley Looper
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, finance, non-fiction
This was a helpful book to look through. I'm not much of a budget follower, preferring big and small savings goals. Either way, this book provided some good ideas for focusing on those financial goals, whatever they are. Good find on Kindle Unlimited!
Kayo
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Good not great
Careen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Something to consider

This is a budget app i can see myself using in real life. I will definitely try to implement in the near future
Joel Warnock
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

Good balance of serious and light hearted helpful financial tips to become more frugal or cheap or just save more and pay off debt.
Gabrielle
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It was okay!

The book is okay. I am an intermediate Budgeter, I was reading this book to take my budgeting to the next levels. I kept waiting for the part where she explained more on the No Spend Challenge, but all I kept reading was tips and information on how to save money or make more money. I never got that Ahhh hah moment that I was looking for. I do like how the author kept the book interesting and fun. If you Have NO ideal on how to start budgeting this is a good book for you.
Alyce Reddell
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad- it’s great for a beginner. I think I’m past that stage and was looking for more.
Damond Ng
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Practical tips and motivation to make a budget, but nothing ground-breaking with some questionable sources.
Shanea
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great, easy book! I'm already part way into my no but when I decided to pick it up, but it is really helping me keep my head in the game because unfortunately most of the people in my life just don't get it. It really concerns on the idea of a no spend as a way to get out of debt, as the name implies, which honestly wasn't really a factor when I personally chose to embark on one, so it was a new and interesting take on the challenge for me. She adds boatloads of practical current references and ...more
Timothy Federwitz
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are some good solid ideas in this book, and a lot of common sense reminders that are good to bring back to the front of your mind. I didn’t buy this book because I could read it for free with Prime Reading, which is just part of an Amazon Prime membership. It is a very short read and I think the price of it is pretty small, so I would *maybe* have spent the money on it.

The author is obviously younger than me by quite a bit, but that just meant that things *she* talked about wanting to do
May Deng
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book to read. I like the fact that this author shares her experiences with the No-Spend Challenges. This book has many great tips on how to not spend money, save money, and make more money. I think this is a very useful and informative book. I agree with the fact that it takes a long time to change a habit. And people can work on changing their habits about how they spend money or not spend money. And they also need to have the desire to want to change their habits. I ...more
Nicole
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Value and worth the read

Quite a bit of this book is very basic when it comes to trimming down the budget. Many save money type books imply most readers are lavishly spending money. This author didn't push that too hard. She gave some interesting ideas on how to entertain or find things to do that are free. I liked her spin about cluttering while doing the no spend challenge. I do believe more focus was put on to stay on a budget and stay focused. I was looking for more tips and possibly more
Helen Bess
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Misleading title

I thought - from the title- this would be a book that had challenges written out for you, much like a 30 day challenge (here's what to do this day, this day, this day etc.) This book literally was a book of only tips. Quick online money making sites, ways to seel your things, suggestions for free activities (some of which were biking, running, and yes board games, as if I didn't realize that those activities were free already). There were a few out of the box suggestions, like
Theresa Newman
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read I found for free on Kindle! For what could be a boring subject (finance; paying off debt), it was enjoyable, relatable, and practical. The author includes some great tips for not spending money, and I liked that the book provided enough content to inspire you to get started, and wasn’t too long or boring to be discouraging to readers. An appropriate read for the beginning of the new year!

Four stars because I didn’t necessarily learn anything new and the author is less of a
Shannon Buck
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this Concept!

It took me only two mornings to read this book, and I loved it. The author gave a great description of her no-spend challenge, indicating it is okay to start small by going for only a day or a week.

She also gives helpful tips for living a more frugal life during the challenge(s) you do, and ideas for how you can add to your income.

This book will guide you through your first and subsequent challenges, with thoughtful ideas and ways to get you paying off debt. You could also use
Erica
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book opened my eyes

I thought I was so good with money. We've had a budget and stuck to it like glue for years. This book showed me all of my errors. Yes, I stuck to my budget but we are nowhere near financial freedom or debt-free living. But we could be. Every section of this book had at least one thing that hit home for me that I now realize I can do differently. We set our new goals, we fixed our budget, and we're going to be debt free thanks to Jen Smith's raw honesty and to-the-point
Jessika Cahel
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good info - quick read

Quick read. I found a few nuggets of info, but a lot of these suggestions the author recommends I already do, like drink quality coffee from home instead of buying coffee while I am out and about. I do like the concept of No Spend Challenges, and she gives options to fit a variety of lifestyles. I was look for a few more “how to” moments, like how to budget. Instead, she refers you to her blog site for budgeting sheets, which I haven’t had the chance to look at yet.
Michael
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self
This was a quick read about starting or committing to a no-spend challenge. If you've been around the internet at all the tips aren't ground breaking. However...

I did like that the author linked several of the sites/worksheets, etc. that she made reference to. Even if it was a link to her own blog, I appreciated it. I hate when something is mentioned and I have no way of checking it out.

As I said, the tips aren't ground-breaking, but they WILL do the job if you're looking to cut back and save
Gia
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read if you're new to no spending challenges. This book will motivate and guide you through the process. It is an easy read and the author provides various examples how to manage to stay focused while the challenge lasts.

I'm from a third world country but nowhere near the amount of debt someone can get from college or credit cards. I sure owe some money to some people but I'll think I'll be able pay off my debt if I keep this book advice in mind.
Nanor Asadorian
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is on Kindle Unlimited and the title caught my attention since I just finished grad school and am working on becoming more financially stable. Overall I enjoyed the book and thought there were some interesting concepts that could be applied outside of spending habits. I also had never heard of no-spend challenges and really want to try them out next year. However, I don’t think there’s anything covered in here that you can’t find in an article or blog (much shorter) online.
Mike Mirzamani
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Great many tips to come out of debt

I took many notes from this ebook on saving and making extra money. However, I believe that making an effort to understand my own self on deeper levels would also be a great addition to my financial freedom. I guess it's the matter of changing things from the outside vs. the from inside that was missing in this book. Otherwise, this is a a great source of information on minimizing your stuff and lowering your debt. .
FrankBellak
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read a book that encourage's the reader to swing into action

Wether it is to save money or pay off a massive debt with a down to
Earth advice the book is easy to read and the authors suggest go for one
Goal ata time the advice is easily understood and it is down to Earth written in layman's terms ! I'm truly happy inspired to kick the old spending
Habits and learn money saving habits so I will be financially comfortable!

lisa rosberg
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, Yet Helpful Read

Excellent little resource for getting out of debt. Love the actionable ways to move the needle on taking control of finances and spending. Finished this on 12/31. Looking forward to starting my first No-Spend Challenge tomorrow on the first day of a new year and a new decade!
Jadecircle12
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a self-help book so much. It was a very easy read with a tone much like one of your trusted girlfriends giving you practical advice. The tips were very doable, bite-sized and overall, encouraging. The visuals and examples she uses are both simple and mindful. It was just the little nudge I needed to get me going with my financial goals for the new year.
DeeDee Scarberry
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, idea-filled practical read!

This is a really great book for anyone looking to cut back on spending and wanting to pay off debt or save money faster. Jen’s writing style is very likeable, and their debt story is inspiring. I really love all the practical ideas and links she shares to help you get a hold of some extra money so you can reach your goals faster!
Casey Wood
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Already Using Advice

I am a shopaholic. I love spending money but usually on other people. I have needed a more realistic, self help guide and this is it! The breakdown given of the “No-Spend Challenge” makes my long term goals more attainable. I want to be completely debt free by 30. That is just over 4.5 years. Using advice from this book, I now believe it may actually happen!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• How to Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck: A proven path to financial fitness in only 15 minutes a week! (Smart Money Blueprint)
  • How to Manage Your Money When You Don't Have Any
  • The Minimalist Budget: A Practical Guide on How to Save Money, Spend Less and Live More with a Minimalist Lifestyle
  • The Budgeting Habit: How to Make a Budget and Stick to It! (Develop Good Habits Book 2)
  • Money Honey: A Simple 7-Step Guide for Getting Your Financial $hit Together
  • Why Didn't They Teach Me This in School?: 99 Personal Money Management Principles to Live by
  • How to Boost Your Credit Score 100+ Points in 30 Days Without Credit Repair!
  • Your Road to Wealth Starts Here: A Simple Step-by-Step Plan for Everyone to Get Out of Debt and Stay Debt-Free Forever in 2017
  • Dollars & No Sense - Why Are You Spending Your Money Like An Idiot?
  • To-Do List Formula: A Stress-Free Guide To Creating To-Do Lists That Work!
  • 30 Days- Change your habits, Change your life: A couple of simple steps every day to create the life you want
  • The Minimalist Way: Minimalism Strategies to Declutter Your Life and Make Room for Joy
  • 21 Habits of Highly Broke People: Break Free From Destructive Habits With Practical Steps To Turn Your Finances Around
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • 10-Minute Declutter: The Stress-Free Habit for Simplifying Your Home
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
  • The Spender's Guide to Debt-Free Living: How a Spending Fast Helped Me Get from Broke to Badass in Record Time
  • Mini-missions for Simplicity: small actions for massive change
“sometimes you minimize your accomplishments because you feel like you’re still playing catch-up. You’re not. You should acknowledge every win.” 0 likes
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” -Zig Ziglar” 0 likes