Start by marking “Why I Left You” as Want to Read:
Why I Left You

Why I Left You

(Why I #1)

Guilt has torn them apart…
…but can they have a second chance?

Jamie is struggling with university, money and depression.
The last thing he needs is Brett, the guy who walked out on him four years ago. Yet, he could be just what Jamie needs.

Brett has his own way of dealing with heartache.
Ever since Jamie left him, he's been running away from commitment. But when he Jamie co
Published November 7th 2017 by Smudged Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Why I Left You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I Left You

Start your review of Why I Left You
Line
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Almost three months, and I'm calling time of death at around 47%!
This is just not happening.

I HATE the decisions made for the MCs, and the story reads farfetched and unbelievable, which is pretty impressive considering it's a contemporary romance.

I will never understand why authors believe that MCs being HOT are a resonable substitute for conversations? Grovelling? Talking? Discussions? Arguments?
description
It's been a while, since I last opened this book, but going through my highlights again have me quit
Dia
This freebie started up good but somewhere along the way it just went downhill. It's my first book by this author and I went in blind. No reviews, no expectations.
From time to time I enjoy second chance stories, but here I got such miscommunication and... well both MC's refused to discuss the past. They just got back together even if there was always a big elephant in the room. And it was huge! I mean, I would never be able to reunite with someone before sorting out the past.

One of the MC's is
Cadiva
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Where to start with this one. It's a powerful exploration of the pain of depression in a young man and it's also a romance between two young men who've been in love since they were teenagers and who were separated by one desperate act and the consequences of it.

I don't think I "enjoyed" it in the way I would usually enjoy a young adult romance, there's too much pain and suffering I think to truly let go of the aspects of dealing with a mental illness.

There's also, for me anyway, a definite feeli
Bárbara
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by the author*

This was delightful!
I was fearing I was on the brink of a slump (a bad string of reads would do that to you), and I had to start this ARC. I'm so glad it worked wonders to save me from what could have been an unfortunate situation for a weekend!

This story wasn't easy to read at times; Jamie was a character I felt too close to home, in the most uncomfortable ways.

HOWEVER, even though a huge part of the story revolves around his struggles with depression, this isn't a
Coco.V
Jan 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (1/19/2019)! 🎁
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5 Stars

I love second chance romances and this was a really good one. I liked both Brett and Jamie and I liked the progression of their relationship. Although this is a second chances romance, we’re given enough information about their past, while staying in the present, something I really love and appreciate, because I really despise flashbacks.

Often, I find it can be a bit irritating when the author withholds the information driving the story, but here, it worked and I really liked the way th
Susan
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received Why I Left You for free from the author Colette Davison and voluntarily reviewed it. The book is a romance, but so much more. Both the main characters feel as though they were someone you knew and liked in college, even shy Jamie. Their lives are a mix of fun times together, being there for each other when times get rough, and the details of work and university. The pacing of the book also felt realistic. I especially liked how the author treated the issue of Jamie’s depression, not g ...more
Mercedes
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gabi
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Depression is an important thing to talk/write about. I think that every person suffers from depression at some point in their lives. Whether it's after heartbreak or something simple like you just can't decide what to do with yourself after high school/college and your stuck in limbo, while everyone moved on; or because of bullying; or pain caused by the loss of a loved one or any number of things. Depression is an illness no one likes to talk about, not even the person who has it, or even ackn ...more
Earlyn
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brett and Jamie

Mental illness is a tough subject to cover. There are so many different directions it can take, and an understanding person to stand by you.

Jamie is having a hard time in college and does not help that his parents is over protective.
Brett has not seen Jamie in four years and was shocked to see him. Something happened the last time they saw each other. Brett is not going to let this opportunity go without finding out what happened.
's Davison captured the emotional turmoil Jamie was
Tanja
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an amazing book this is, but fair warning. It is not an easy book to read. It is poignant, heartbreaking and gut-wrenching. An emotional roller coaster of great proportions.
It is beautifully written with a raw honesty that seeped into my heart and soul.
We follow the lives of Jamie and Brett, who meet again in university. They were boyfriends at a young age but broke up through a big misunderstanding. Only at the end of the book, we learn about what was the cause of their breakup. In t
Gemma Ironside
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

Why I left you by Colette Davison is the first book from this author I have read and I absolutely adored it. The book begins with old flames Brett and Jamie bumping into each other when Jamie was looking for a flat share. For both guys, this opened wounds from their past that neither one of them was ready to face but both of them couldn’t walk away again either.

I adored how Jamie’s character was portrayed in this book. What Jamie has suffered since the break-down
Sarita Chapdelaine
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This was a heart-wrenching and emotional book that I could not put down. From the very first page I was hooked and I laughed and cried through most of this incredible story. It is beautifully written and the author does an excellent job of dealing with a very difficult subject. I loved Jamie and how hard he worked to try to manage his depression. He was traumatized by something in his past and four years later he is still struggling to get through most days. His parents are smothering him and do ...more
Maria Vickers
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel that before I get into my review, that I need to give some sort of warning with this book. It's a must read for sure, but it does deal with subject matter that could be difficult for some to read. This MM book deals with real life and shows that it is worth living.

Why I Left You by Colette Davison is a poignant story about Jamie and Brett. They dated when they were younger without others knowing and then things happened. Jamie hurt. Brett left. And then when they least expect it, they ar
John H Bohlmann
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book to read about mental health issues!

1. The great love story about two guys!
2. Share what true love is.
3. One of the guys has mental health issues. Which causes you to think about.
4. I was able relate to the book in many ways. I have mental health issues as well.
5. This book did cause me to think about my issues. Which caused me make some changes in my life, for the better.
6. Its does show what is like to living with mental health issues and shows the changes in ones life for the bett
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I love second chance romances…although I’m not sure the love between these two was ever severed. They are soul mates, loves of a lifetime. Their story is heartbreaking and healing. Both men go through growth and discovery. They are finally (eventually) honest with each other. Brett and Jamie attempt levity at times to avoid talking about the heavy stuff that needs to be addressed. When we finally get the whole story, it’s so hard to read. I would love to see a follow up of these two abo
Anita
Sad and emotional second chance book in parts but ultimately a happy ending. I won't rehash the book since my fellow Goodreaders have done that well so will just focus on what I liked. I have personal experience with depression and feel that the author captured Jamie's thoughts and actions well. She also also captured the well-meaning people in a depressed person's life admirably. Just wanted to hug Jamie. He struggled so and you could feel him fighting his way out of the fog of depression. I do ...more
Molly
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lgbt, transformational romance fans, fans of love and growth
Recommended to Molly by: axpreaderland, goodreads
A powerful second chance at love and life romance.

Really more than a romance, its a how we can help ourselves, our friends and partners become their best selves.
I was pleased to read an advance copy of this book, then thrilled to purchase.

The friendships between Brett and Jaime, as well as their relationships to roomie/ friend Jen, are the reflective relationships that spur each of the young men towards parts of themselves they had forgotten, or thought they left behind.

Sometimes romance and
Terri
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brett and Jamie are each damaged in different ways, afraid to put faith in themselves and each other and in their relationship. These fears were born on Jamie's sixteenth birthday, four years ago. They each have a different memory of that day, but neither can bring himself to discuss it. I usually hate it when books have such a lack of communication between the lead characters, but it makes sense here. Brett is afraid that he might be the trigger for Jamie's issues. Jamie feels that he isn't wor ...more
Josh Dale
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: struggles, romance
Get ready for an emotional rollercoaster. The author has done a fantastic job of building real characters that are broken, and yet strong enough to go through the daily grind. This book will make you smile, frown, laugh and cry. The balance of emotions is perfect. And even through the dark moments, I found the author managed not to take us too dark.

We meet Brett four years after he and Jamie his high school sweetheart made love for the first time. That night that changed both their lives foreve
Amneris Cesare
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I confess: I read first some reviews and postponed this reading because I was prejudiced about this book. And after reading it, I changed totally my opinion. First I thought this book was about some easy written story about depression mixed with some romance and some scenes. But the slow burning heat between the two MC, the reunion and re-making up of their relationship, even the mistery about the reasons why Jamie left Brett and the solution at the end completely captivated me. I loved it entir ...more
Esther Alayeto
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful second chance romance. Great storyline that pulled me in right from the beginning and kept me hooked to its pages all the way through. I really appreciate that the author didn't just gloss over Jamie's depression, the issue was dealt with beautifully and didn't just go away. Brett is incredibly understanding and supportive. An emotional and beautiful read.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Dara Nelson
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-blog
This was a beautiful, if difficult read. But isn’t that how life is sometimes? We have no control over this thing called life. What we can control is how we deal with it, who are friends are, who we love. And that’s the ultimate truth that both Brett and Jaime came to realize. And though Jaime’s parents made me want to throttle them sometimes, it was seeing the strength grow in Jaime and the support these two men gave each other that made this a wonderful story.
Dixiecowgirl
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful, poignant, heartbreaking story and engrossing story. This book deals with some very heavy topics but does give us a HEA with some very broken and scared characters.

The author let us really feel these MC's raw emotions and shows us how trust can be built between men. You will laugh and you will cry in this intense story. Great read!

I received an ARC at no cost from the author
joani
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good!!!

Keeping things bottled up inside makes moving on and being happy impossible. Jamie has been spinning in fear and regret for 4 long years over something that just wasn't his fault. The same could be said by Brett also. He blamed himself for what happened to Jaimie all those years ago. It was time they both embraced the love that was stolen from them.
Valerie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful second chance story. Brett & Jamie reunite by chance after several years apart. A lot of emotion. Deeply moving. Deals with depression. The author does a great job writing on the issue of mental health. Very well written. This was my first book from this author. Look forward to more! ...more
Kevan Wilkes
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly real for a gay love story

What starts out as a boy meets boy again type book gets much more honest and real. I didn't see the twist in the pilot coming, which is unusual, but it made the book more three dimensional and all the better for it. Highly recommended
Melanie
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-csU

Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Richard
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable gay romance affected by severe depression.
Karolina Cebula
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, in-english
Review in English and Polish || Recenzja po angielsku i polsku

*4,5 stars*

Brett's life is a simple routine that doesn't require any special involvement – he goes to his not so ambitious but well-paid job, sometimes works some extra hours in a coffee shop, then returns to a flat he rents with a friend and goes to a club to satisfy his sexual needs. The only thing that changes constantly is the guys with whom he sleeps. However, the routine of his everyday life is disturbed when Brett unexpectedly

• Shane and Trey (Enemies to Lovers #1)
  • Blaze (Masterson, #1)
  • Daddy Issues
  • Chance to Bloom
  • Summer Stock
  • His Best Man (Accidental Roots, #7)
  • Sugar Season (Maple Springs, #3)
  • Aftercare (Ever After, #1)
  • Working Out the Kinks
  • Rustic Melody (Rustic, #1)
  • Too Close
  • Having Her Back
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Let Me Show You (True-Blue, #1)
  • Always the Groomsman
  • Pulling Strings (Young Spades #1)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • The Weight is Over
I'm an indie author from the UK, who writes contemporary and paranormal M/M romance. My books have flawed characters, happy endings, and lots of heart.

VISIT MY AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE: