Start by marking “Home for Erring and Outcast Girls” as Want to Read:
Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

An emotionally raw and resonant story of love, loss, and the enduring power of friendship, following the lives of two young women connected by a home for “fallen girls,” and inspired by historical events.

In turn-of-the-20th century Texas, the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls is an unprecedented beacon of hope for young women consigned to the
Published July 23rd 2019 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Home for Erring and Outcast Girls, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
LavonSheree
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
SacBibliophile I have notice lots of people posting a similar question. Does everyone not have the same GoodReads display that I do? When I look at a book's page the…moreI have notice lots of people posting a similar question. Does everyone not have the same GoodReads display that I do? When I look at a book's page there are links to Kindle, Amazon, Libraries, etc.(less)

Start your review of Home for Erring and Outcast Girls
Angela M
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it

The Berachah Industrial Home for Erring Girls in Arlington, Texas that is depicted in this novel was a real place. A cemetery is what remains of this institution founded by a minister and his wife . They were dedicated not just to helping girls and women who “erred” but also their babies, a different approach from other homes for unwed mothers at this time . A quick internet search will lead you to a number of articles and photos of the place which provided a safe haven for so many. Th
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
I was fascinated by the premise of this novel and its inspiration of historical events surrounding the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls.  I think it is an important story and really wanted to be pulled into the tale of the refuge.

However, the pacing and the timeline of the 2017 story vs. the early 1900's story felt disconnected. The timeline going back and forth wasn't working for me. I was much more interested in the story about the home and the girls who lived th
Elyse  Walters
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julie Kibler is a great writer.
I fell madly in love with her book “Calling Me Home”, her debut novel published in 2013. Her irresistible novel often had me laughing or crying.
Julie is gifted in her ability to portray the perceptions and emotions of her characters. She writes with sensitivity, and insights, rendering meticulous attention to details.
This second novel....”Home for Erring and Outcast Girls”.....has been a long anticipated wait. Many of Julie’s fans...me included...are excited hap
Liz
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up
Imagine my pleasant surprise to find that this wasn’t the tale of some horrid place, but a place of compassion and love. In 1904, there were few options for ruined girls and unwed mothers. And none that allowed a mother to keep their child. None except the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls. This story encompasses friendship, redemption and salvation. It’s also a sad reminder of how little some things have changed over the years.

Told from the st
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4.5 stars!

Emotional. Informative. Powerful. Unforgettable.

Established in 1903 in Texas, the Berachah Industrial Home for the Redemption of Erring Girls, was an unprecedented institution that offered a chance of hope for girls who had little to no options left in life. Prostitutes, poor, homeless, abused — the Home offered a refuge for women fleeing their terrible situations. Differing from other organizations, this home offered rehabilitation, training, spiritual counsel and support for unwed m
marilyn
This book attracted me because I've been to most of the locations mentioned in the book. I was born in one of the cities and grew up on another of them and have spent time all over TX. That the book was about a real place, the Berachah Industrial Home for Erring Girls in Arlington, Texas, also led me to want to read the it. This home gave hope to girls, women, and their children who had been battered, abused, raped, and often were on death's door before this group would take them in and give the ...more
Susanne  Strong
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.75 Stars* (rounded up).

The Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls is a place in Texas where unwed mothers were sent to live and to raise their children. In the early 1900’s, it was unprecedented. Some women stayed and some learned skills which would eventually allow them to find employment outside of the home. All women became a family of sorts.

Lizzie and Maddie both arrive at the home with different stories. Lizzie with her daughter Docie in tow. Desperate and desol
Katie B
Based on the synopsis, this was a book that I was really looking forward to reading. I love historical fiction books and I thought a story about the real life Berachah Home sounded like it had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, I had a hard time connecting with the characters so this turned out to just be an okay read.

The Berachah Home was pretty unique back in the early 1900s. Let's face it, if a single woman back then was pregnant, she wasn't treated too kindly. Many women were sent away to li
Erin
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Crown Publishing for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a solid historical fiction about an important role that the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls in Texas played in supporting and providing a place for women and their children. Similar to other books of this genre, there is a contemporary timeline and a historical timeline (early 1900's). The different women-Cate, Mattie, and Lizzie represent the many women who ha
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just as the 1900s are beginning in Texas, the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls is one final, hopeful stop for all the young women who have lived on the streets due to various reasons.

Located in Arlington, the women are offered faith, training, and even rehabilitation services without taking the children from their mothers.

Lizzie Bates and Mattie McBride meet there at the home, each with a set of unfortunate events that brought them. Both are mothers. One was abused
Donna
Home for Erring and Outcast Girls tells the story of real-life inhabitants of the Berachah Industrial Home for the Redemption of Erring Girls, established near the turn of the 20h century in Arlington, Texas. The home, run by the Reverand J.T. Upchurch and his wife, Maggie May, provided a safe place for women, who often arrived on their doorstep pregnant. These girls or women were considered “fallen,” either because they had lost their virginity due to rape, had become pregnant out of wedlock, o ...more
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars Thanks to Penguins First to Read program and Crown for allowing me to read and review this book. Publishes July 23, 2019.

Although I see in reading other reviews of this book that people were either confused or they just did not see the necessity of all the characters in the book, I fell in love with them. Likewise, I appreciated the changes in time throughout the story. Based on a real place, during a real time frame, with composites of real people this book remains fiction.

We first mee
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I enjoyed this book... it definitely wasn't one that I could fly through in a day. I read it off and on for about a week and a half.

It was probably about 100 pages longer than it needed to be, and it got confusing with all the different points of view and timelines. There was Mattie POV in 1904 and forward, and then Lizzie's POV in 1904 and forward, then there was Cate as a teenager, and present day Cate and Laurel. It was just a lot.

I could have absolutely done without Cate's entire story line
Krista
Rating: 4 stars

In 2013, Julie Kilber's debut book, Calling Me Home was one of my favorite books that year. I’ve impatiently waited for her next book since then. Imagine my delight when I received and e-Arc copy from Netgalley of Kibler’s latest book, “Home for Erring and Outcast Girls”. While I wasn’t quite as enamored of this book as I was with her debut book, I think that this new book is an entertaining work that deftly combines a dual timeline narration of historical fiction centering in a p
Susan Johnson
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
What a disappointment. This could have been a fine, interesting book about the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls built in 1903 in Arlington, Texas. This was a real place and operated until 1935. It was a unique place at the time as it did not shame the girls, encouraged them to keep their children and taught them marketable skills to operate in the outside world. It was full of love and compassion, the first that some of the women had ever experienced.

Then for som
Celia
From Wikipedia

The Berachah Industrial Home for the Redemption of Erring Girls was a facility for unwed mothers in Arlington, Texas. Rev. James T. and Maggie May Upchurch opened the home on May 14, 1903, and it took in homeless, usually pregnant, women from Texas and the surrounding states. Unlike other homes for "fallen women", women at the Berachah Home were required to keep their babies; no children were given up for adoption.
****
This is the story of two of the women who lived there, Lizzie an
Karen KK
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

When Lizzie Bates and Mattie McBride meet at the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls—one sick and abused, but desperately clinging to her young daughter, the other jilted by the beau who fathered her ailing son—they form a friendship that will see them through unbearable loss, heartbreak, difficult choices, and ultimately, diverging paths.

Written in several timelines, which became confusing at times, Lizzie and Mattie's
Ellen Wiseman
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Kibler has done it again! Home for Erring and Outcast girls is a beautifully written, heartbreaking novel. I loved it, not only because of the wonderful characters and compelling storyline, but because it so artfully illustrates past and present discrimination against women, and how organized religion can save some people but destroy others. It's a relevant book for our time with a twist I didn't see coming!!
t a n y a
I was terribly disappointed in this novel. I read an ARC on my kindle from Netgalley. Kibler's first book was brilliant and one I absolutely loved but this second novel was a letdown for me. The first chapter was filled with sentence fragments and read choppy for me. The story, going back and forth in time, about these unwed and 'outcast' young women was such a compelling plot and I appreciate any and all historical research the author did on the subject but her delivery to a fiction piece was n ...more
Laura • lauralovestoread
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was my first book by Julie Kibler, but I loved her writing!

I was pulled into the premise of Home for Erring and Outcast Girls because I was fascinated by these women, based on a true story, of their struggles to find a place to live after a life of drug abuse and prostitution. Turned out on their own by family, and no where to go, with names soiled for the times of the turn of the 20th century Texas.

Their stories both heartbreaking and endearing, to see them build a new life of hope and red
Anna
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Built in 1903, The Berachan Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls is a ray of hope for lost souls looking for a fresh start. Set outside of Arlington, Texas, young women find respite from poverty, drugs, tragedy, and the stigma of being an unwed mother. Two such women, Lizzie Bates and Mattie McBride, find an instant connection when they both find the path to The Berachan Home, forming a bond of friendship that lasts a lifetime. Life has been tough, both finding it almost imposs ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Six years ago I read Julie Kibler's book Calling Me Home and simply adored it. It's a book that has stayed with me over the years so it should not come as a shock that I was oh-so-eager to read Home for Erring and Outcast Girls.

This story is based on the real-life Berachah Industrial Home for Girls and is told using three time lines - one set in Arlington, Texas in 1904 which follows the lives of two young women, Lizzie and Maddie, who meet at the Home. The goal of Berachah was to help pregnant
Jeanette
No rating. I only got to just short of the half way point. Not for me. As interested I am in the onus of this historic place in Texas, I cannot tread through the miles of flatland to get to a morsel of its real operation. There is so much melodrama and severity of adjective that you would think it could have cut to the quick. But no, verbose and the present day story cuts any tension or interest I might have had in the older era.

She writes conversation poorly. But that's not what kept me from co
Amy Bruestle
I won this book through a giveaway in exchange for an honest review...

So...Let me start off by saying that I was really excited to read this book as soon as I read the blurb about it on Goodreads. The fact that it is loosely based on real events also makes it more enjoyable for me! The story itself was fine...a bit slow for my taste though, and ultimately sad. 😭The ending wasn’t bad, but it really wasn’t good either. It just kind of “was”. I think part of my issue with this book is that I had ex
Dawnny
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of three women. Of friendships and the hardship they faced. Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls in Texas is a home for pregnant and lost girls. It moves between the past and the present. This was emotionally charged and brought tears to my eyes more than once. Difficult to follow at times but I stayed with it and I'm glad I did. A remarkable story everyone woman should read.

Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Review
Hudson Valley NY
Marilyn
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home for Erring and Outcast Girls was Julie Kibler's second novel and once again her writing was beautiful , insightful and meaningful. After reading Julie Kibler's first novel, Calling Me Home, I was thrilled to see she had written a second book. Thanks to Netgalley and Crown Publishing I was granted access to an ARC version and I was beyond thrilled. I had high expectations for Home for Erring and Outcast Girls based on my feelings after reading Calling Me Home and I was not disappointed. Juli ...more
Sharyn Berg
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lifetime apart, Cate Sutton discovers Lizzie and Mattie in the library where she works and in an old and unkempt cemetery nearby. What exactly was “The Home for Erring and Outcast Girls”? Was it a good option for young women and their mostly illegitimate children or something else? With only a handful of ancient records and the cemetery as a resource, Cate sets out to discover just that. While dealing with issues and struggles in her own life and mind, she takes on a young assistant with her o ...more
Dorine
HOME FOR ERRING AND OUTCAST GIRLS by Julie Kibler is an absorbing fictional tale based on a real historical place that sheltered women and their children from cruelty and isolation. Often horrifying, as well as familiar, their stories will touch your heart. Great novel honoring lifelong friendships.

The story is told from multiple points-of-view in dual timelines. A majority of the novel is historical, with some modern-day sleuthing to help tell the women and children’s stories.

Read the review in
Judy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls in Texas is the basis for this historical fiction novel. The home provided a safe place for women and their children, for the women to turn their lives around and for the children to be safe and cared for. Two of the main characters, Lizzie and Mattie, are based on real "fallen" women during the period 1903 to 1935. The other two main characters, Cate and River, live during the present day.

The book is filled with both the physi
Kristie
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fictionalized story based on a real place, the Berachah Home for the Redemption and Protection of Erring Girls in Texas, and on real people. The story is broken into two timelines. One focusing on a few people that lived and worked in the Berachah Home and a second more contemporary timeline of a woman that works in a library and studies the Home's history.

It can be heartbreaking to read the stories of the girls from the Berachah Home. The way women were historically treated was just
Play Book Tag: Home for Erring and Outcast Girls by Julie Kibler 1.4 stars 3 18 Sep 16, 2019 02:46PM
AMERICAN HISTORIC...: Oh, the places you will go... 3 17 Aug 03, 2019 06:29PM
AMERICAN HISTORIC...: Home for Erring and Outcast Girls 3 21 Aug 03, 2019 06:25PM
AMERICAN HISTORIC...: The Perfect Gift 1 10 Jul 31, 2019 01:32PM

• The Book of Lost Friends
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • All the Flowers in Paris
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • The Girls with No Names
  • This Tender Land
  • The Winemaker's Wife
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Keeping Lucy
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Where the Light Enters (The Waverly Place #2)
  • The Giver of Stars
  • The Whispers of War
  • The Exiles
  • Resistance Women
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Wunderland
Julie Kibler is the bestselling author of Home for Erring and Outcast Girls and Calling Me Home, which was an IndieNext List pick, Target Club Pick, and Ladies' Home Journal Book Club Pick, published in fifteen languages. She has a bachelor's degree in English and journalism and a master's degree in library science and lives with her family, including four rescued dogs and cats, in Texas.

News & Interviews