Start by marking “Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

Into the Crooked Place

(Into the Crooked Place #1)

Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy series from Alexandra Christo, the author of To Kill a Kingdom.

The streets of Creije are for the deadly and the dreamers, and four crooks in particular know just how much magic they need up their sleeve to survive.

Tavia, a busker ready to pack up her dark-magic wares and turn her back on Creije for good. Sh
Published October 8th 2019 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about Into the Crooked Place, please sign up.
Alexandra Christo Who doesn't love a bit of sexual tension when the world's ending?
Alexandra Christo Yes. And they will be kicking ass and taking names

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I don't really care what it's about, I'll just read anything Alexandra writes after the magnificence that was To Kill A Kingdom

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
jessica
gangster fantasies are so my thing - i love the gritty, unapologetic adventure of it all - so its been very exciting to see it become such a popular trope.

as with all tropes, recycled elements are bound to pop up from book to book, but its how the story enhances those elements that makes its worthwhile. and unfortunately, ‘into the crooked place’ doesnt really add anything special to the genre.

its a solid book on its own - there is a variety of characters and representation, interesting magic system
Helena of Sparta ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

BOY, was this disappointing! It was boring, predictable, and I wanted to DNF it multiple times (but didn't because it was an ARC). Where did Alexandra Christo's compelling writing style from To Kill a Kingdom go??? It's like an entirely different author wrote this!

After White Cat, Six of Crows, The Gilded Wolves, Ace of Shades, and now this...gangster fantasies are essentially becoming a trope. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing! The problem is that Christ/>BOY,
Sabrina
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as to-read

Gangster fantasy

that’s literally the only thing I need to know.

I feel a Peaky Blinders vibe!🙌🤞.
Nanly
Apr 30, 2018 marked it as to-read
"Gangster fantasy"

That's... that's beautiful. :')

I know absolutely nothing about this book, but yes.
The answer is yes.

Angelica
Mar 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
guess who got a copy of this baby at BookCon!?!?!? I am so ready for this!
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

If I had to sum up my feelings about this book in a single sentence, I would say this book is passable. I read a lot of fantasy and there was nothing about INTO THE CROOKED PLACE that really made it stand out to me, as it follows the typical formula of many best-selling YA titles coming out these days, to the point that over-saturation has rendered them virtually indistinguishable from one another. INTO THE CROOKED PLACE is not a bad book, nor is it an exceptionally good one. It's an okay
Tara ☽
Feb 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm so excited for this. Can people please stop saying every gangster YA book is just copying Six of Crows, especially before the book is even out? Yes Soc is amazing but Leigh Bardugo doesn't have a monopoly on the gangster genre lmao.
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐

e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Into The Crooked Place by Alexandra Christo is an upcoming fantasy novel that follows four crooks who must come together to save their home from the dark magic that threatens it and everyone they love.

This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year! Having read To Kill A Kingdom in 2018 (and thoroughly enjoying it) I honestly expected more from Into The Crooked Place, but it wasn't all bad! If I'm b/>e-ARC
Emma
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5/5 Stars

Full review here

This new gangster fantasy left me happy and disappointed at the same time.
Into the Crooked Place has an interesting enough world filled with magic, which I think could have been explained a lot better than it was. The characters are what drives the story forward. I truly feel like there were characters that were well developed and others that were
Candace Robinson
Oh boy, I absolutely loved To Kill a Kingdom but this book was just so slow for me that I found it hard to connect to the characters or the story. However, the author’s writing is just as lovely as her previous book.
Hollis
Here's a big reason why I think the current GR rating is what it is (which, as of the writing of this review, is 3.73) : it very much feels, and reads, like another book. Which, as my buddy said, doesn't mean a certain author holds the copyright to heist ensemble gangster anti-hero/amoral stories. It's just.. like, wow, a little effort to be different, when so much of today's culture is comparisons, would've been nice?

But here's where I get a little less snarky. After bemoaning the c
Natalie ⭐
Jul 03, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF’d on 7/3/19

Yeah, no. I felt bored out of my mind every time I picked this up, and I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters.

Remember how a bunch of people kept trying to say that The Gilded Wolves is a “ripoff” of Six of Crows, when the two actually aren’t very similar at all except having ensemble casts and a heist? And the themes of the novel, characters, and general plots are just... different?

This book actually did feel like a Six of Crows rip
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
oh my god i can't believe i didn't know this already has a cover and it's fucking gorgeous

*If you haven't yet, let me let me convince you to read To Kill a Kingdom!
The Nerd Daily
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

If you’re looking for a story of angsty teens with the world’s biggest chips on their shoulders, look no further! I personally enjoyed the dark, gritty, and bleak aspect of this book…but maybe that’s just my fall reading taste. It’s a gangster heist story dealing with a lot of heavy themes, but I think everyone will find something to love in this story. The plot advances well, and the characters are really well explored, so
Alexandra
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I knew that there would be something in this book to pull me into Alexandra Christo's writing. I had loved and enjoyed very much her first book, To Kill a Kingdom, and this book, while it was a wide turn in themes for me, was quite interesting.

There are multiple POVs in this book all in the third person, that follows the adventure a team of older teens undertake in order
Ashlee » Library In The Country
This is giving me all the Six of Crows vibes and I am HERE. FOR. IT.
arini
Sep 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
anything with the word "crow" or "crooked" on the title or any narrative that's got to do with a group of misfits is always right up my alley.

(to be read)
Lauren Elise
Aug 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2019
Pre-Reading Updates

23/8/2018: This gives me such Six of Crows/Ace of Shades/The Gilded Wolves vibes I NEED IT RIGHT NOW
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Apr 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
After TKAK I am so ready for Alexandra to snatch my ever dwindling collection of wigs once more.
Beth
Mar 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Two little words... I'm already intrigued if To Kill a Kingdom is anything to go by.

Gangster Fantasy.
Gabriela Pop
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*screams into the void*
It's been a while since I've loved a book with the intensity of my feelings for this one. Dare I even say, had I had this book when I was younger I would have very likely had my whole life revolve around this book, that's just how great it is.
Christo's writing style is enchanting and intoxicating; it has a wonderful flow to it that makes it easy to get sucked right into the story and live along with her characters, yet it also has a strange almost flowery quality to
Bookphenomena (Micky)
DNF @ 30% unrated

I’m sorry to say that this was a full day’s struggle of picking it up and putting it down repeatedly because I did not like this world that felt pretty familiar and I did not buy into the characters or story. I found the names of people and phrasing too similar to the Grisha world to discount and it was told without the finesse of that one.

I strongly believe there is no copyright on this kind of story (heisty-gangster fantasy) because the whole book world
Anja H.
Jun 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Look at that cover! I mean: YESSSSSS!
☆ Mira ✷
Aug 11, 2018 marked it as tbr-good-authors
Shelves: i-want-it-now
Gangster fantasy + the author of the amazing To Kill a Kingdom = yes PLEASE, only the weak need an actual blurb ;)
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review on my blog Shades of Paper.

“Sometimes it felt like she had nothing to hold on to. But if she lost everything, surely all she had left to do was gain. And there was so much Saxony wanted. Peace. Justice. Revenge.”

I was beyond excited to read Into the Crooked Place because I completely fell in love with her debut novel To Kill a Kingdom and her way to tell a story, and I was so interested in her future works and especially in the premise of this one, because it sounded so grea/>
mith
Nov 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-publication
There's literally only two words about this novel and I already want it lol
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.5 Stars
“There will be no punishment or retribution. What did the law matter when there could be anarchy instead?”
I have somewhat mixed feelings about Into the Crooked Place. It had a very strong start with the character introductions, but I never quite cared about anything else as much. We follow a band of crooks who are determined to save their city from dark magic and further corruption by banding together - even if they don’t trust each other - to save the things they care about.

Things I Liked
I really lovedStars
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, giveaways
I was very excited about Into the Crooked Place because the blurb was giving me strong Six of Crows vibes.  I guess they call this gangster fantasy these days?  While parts of it does feel like SoC, overall the book missed the mark a little for me.

The world building was pretty good.  Christo imbued the setting with seemingly sufficient grit.  There's history.  There's buskers peddling magic.  The magic itself I struggled with a lot.  It often felt like there weren't any strict rules,
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
That ending.  I really want to know what is going to happen in the second book.

There is quite a bit of magic, worlds, and gods to learn along with the 4 main characters.  It took me a bit to feel invested, but I ended up really loving the characters, especially 2 which I'll talk about below.  The magic was interesting and I hope book two will go into it even further.  I really liked the mob feel to this world.  For some reason, those books are starting to really stand out
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Skyhunter
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • We Are Blood and Thunder
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
Alexandra Christo decided to write books when she was four and her teacher told her she couldn’t be a fairy. When she’s not busy making up stories, she can be found organising food crawls over London and binge-watching Korean dramas.

Alexandra has a BA in Creative Writing and currently lives in England with an abundance of cacti (because they’re the only plants she can keep alive).

Into the Crooked Place (2 books)
  • Untitled (Into the Crooked Place, #2)