Start by marking “Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)

Witch's Reign

(Desert Cursed #1)

I am cursed by the desert I was born in, and now I wander the space between the Walls meant to hold my kind-the supernatural kind- in.

If I can find a way out, if I can find a way to escape, perhaps I can outrun this curse. But that means passing through the Ice Witch's realm-something no one has returned from.

But life has a funny way of changing directions on you. A frea
Published January 30th 2018 by Hijinks Ink Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Reign, please sign up.

Beth
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know that moment when you finished every book a specific author has released and you just can't get enough... Witch's Reign has made me realize I'm there with Shannon Mayer.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Witch’s Reign is the fist book in the Desert Cursed series by Shannon Mayer. We are introduced to a verity of characters and an interesting world. There’s humor, adventure, and loads of action.

Zamira Reckless Wilson is a shifter who everyone thinks can’t shift, she’s cursed not with one, but two cures, her family is dead except one brother, and she doesn’t trust nor does she feel she fits in. First off, can I just say what a name for this character. It made me laugh and it fit her perfectly. No
Jacqueline's Reads
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: ku, pnr
DNF 32%

I wanted to stop reading after 5% because it was so descriptive, but I kept on reading waiting for the leading Hero to emerge so I see where the romance was going to go.

I waited through the 32% and I realized I didn't like the Heroine. She is a bit full of herself even though she states she isn't that great, hard to comprehend, but true.

Also she kept on saying how submissive the Hero is, because he is human and that's a major turn-off for me

I wanted a little sexual tension, so maybe this
HBalikov
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Zamira, there are times you must take a chance. You. Because maybe tomorrow, you might not be alive. Live for the moment. In order to get up each day and face the darkness—you need to embrace the moments of joy in life. One day, the inevitable will come for you and you will have no more todays. Death was always waiting, and I knew it better than most."

“I closed my eyes and let myself listen to the cat inside me. She was curious, pushing me to go look. My instincts when I’d listened to them had
Stacy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
If I'm to be honest, I must start off by saying that If I had known that WITCH'S REIGN was part of the Venom world, I would not not have given it a chance. Thankfully there is only one mention of 'super dupers' in WITCH'S REIGN.

WITCH'S REIGN is part of the same world as Shannon's Venom series—even has some of the same characters—, but it feels different. Which in my book is actually a good start. Unfortunately I feel that we are missing a lot of information. Some backstory is explained and some
Ashley Daviau
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an unexpected gem and I’m so happy my aunt sent it my way. It’s not something I normally would have picked up but I ended up absolutely loving it! Shapeshifters, dragons and jinns? Sign me up!!! This book was so original, I’ve never seen this combination of supernatural beings and I absolutely dig it. I also really love that our main character is so much more than she seems, it goes to show that appearances aren’t everything and that even though she’s small, she is damn fierce! My ...more
Jillian
In the end, I went with 2 stars because I cannot do 2 1/2 stars.

This book is riddled with imperfections—the kind that usually cause me to stop reading about 25% in (if I can’t finish a book, it gets 1 star). But, I was able to finish it (2 stars). And, despite its glaring flaws, I am curious enough about the potential of this series to try the next one (2 1/2 stars). Probably not any time soon, as there are other things I’d rather read first, but someday I may see if things improve.

I’ll also not
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I liked Zamira, I know she was too forgiving to the people around her but it's easy to understand why and because of that I could overlook it, even when it got annoying.

I hope she finds a balance between being too forgiving and not. I really want her to kick the asses of the people that have done her wrong, including her brother and Darcy.
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Kindle Unlimited.
The world building could have been better. I'm still a little confused about it, to be honest. It's INTERESTING, but confusing. I want to keep reading, to find out what happens to the characters, and in the world overall.

As far as characters go, they were ok. I liked Maks most, even though he hardly spoke.

I don't understand the Steve thing. What's so great about him that all three females fell for him? Eww.

I don't understand Bryce's bitterness towards his sister. If he was so
Michele
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are so many reviews here I am sure this will get lost. I loved this book. The characters were so real that I was happy to let them in my mind. I have so many questions at the end that I kept hoping there was more pages I was missing. So yes the series will be read in full. It was so good to see the underdog allow others in her heart. I won this book as part of a give away and it is signed. It will go in my shelf of honor and I have another great author to follow.
Tammy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
There's nothing wrong with Witch's Reign in terms of writing or anything else except that it's a spin-off and because I have zero experience with Shannon Mayer's books at all I felt like I wasn't really into it. I tried to go with the flow while reading but somehow I just couldn't fully enjoy it, not that there's a lot of references to those books but it's like I missed something. You know how sometimes it's just "click" with someone or something? yeah, this book just doesn't "click" with me.
Misha
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Wary of reading next one...

This was my introduction to this author. I really had high expectations since it was recommended by an author I enjoy, but it took me longer than it really should have to get through this book. Checking out the ratings it seems like I am in the minority so perhaps it’s just comes down to personal preferences.

So many of the characters were not worth liking - specifically Kiara, Steve and Darcy. Drunk or not Darcy is not like family and worth the likelihood of being kill
Curly's  Ramblings
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witch’s Reign is set in the Rylee Adamson world. Ms. Mayer includes characters we’ve met previously such as Alex (from the Rylee Adamson series) and Merlin & Flora (from the Venom Trilogy) very seamlessly. Zamira, a downtrodden feline shifter beaten down by self loathing and an ex-lover, finds herself in insurmountable odds at every turn. The story will have you sitting at the end of your seat hollering and rooting for the underdogs as Zamira faces down enemies much stronger and bigger than ...more
Penny Noble
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Ms. Mayer since I read her Rylee Adamson series. And this book in a new series just highlights why. She is an excellent writer, her plots are interesting, and her characters are strong. In this book, we are introduced to Zamira who is shapeshifter and steals for a living but for good reasons. When one of her teammates goes missing, she sets off with another teammate to rescue her. The book was full of action and had many interesting twists, some of which I didn’t see coming. ...more
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Indiana Jones battles the White Witch of Narnia

Not exactly, but it has the same classic feel good to it.

Shannon Mayer, what a fantastic writer you are! Hilariously fun book! There were some quotes in there that gave me a good belly ache laugh. Where does she come up with this stuff?

I love hating Steve and Kiara. I adored the trio bond between Zamira, Lila and Maks and I can't wait to read more about them.

A very colorful, creative story full of mistakes and bonding. I think there's ju

Debbie Turk
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is full of of pace with twists & turns along with friendships made, broken & some heating up to possible romance in the future!!

I liked the female heroine, Zamira, she is fierce of heart though she lacks self belief due her differences from her family. She has an unrelenting need to help those who can't help themselves even if it's likely to cause her end!!!

I've only rated this book 3.5 stars as it feels like I was reading a book that was part way into a series. Things we're
Feminista
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't like how the protagonist kept getting walked over by everyone...
anjuli
I wanted to love this book so much. However, I did not feel it. I enjoyed it enough to finish the book but, I had to really motivate myself at times. Part of it was it took forever to feel like something was going on. I somewhat liked the characters but, I did not feel the emotional depth for them. And, that is sad. I liked Zam, she was sort of reckless and cursed. However, the story and world building started in the middle or it sort of felt like it. I did not feel the build up for it and it la ...more
Theresa
3.5 Stars... There was much to like about this book; the world building was beautifully crafted and intricately woven filled with shapeshifters, witches, Jinn, and dragons... The characters and their relationships were multi - layered and charismatic adding levels of intrigue to the story... The storyline itself was action packed adventure from the start and twisted and turned the reader through the journey until the very end... The only aspect that I struggled with was moments in the dialogue t ...more
Ashley
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This author has the best covers. I bought the audios for all 3 of the books out in this series and the Aimless Witch book based on the covers alone before I read any of them. I really liked that these covers didn't have the chick standing in the wind with a weapon like every other of this type of book, I figured maybe the book would be different too, and it was! So I was happy.

I really liked this one, but I think the rest of the series is set up to be even better after this one. I liked Zam and
Diana Wilson
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
There wasn't anything wrong with this book aside from my misinterpretation. I thought it was a Fantasy Romance rather than a YA fantasy. Cute enough, but not my jam in so many ways.

Moon Love
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How have I never read Shannon before?! I picked this book up on a whim because I was looking for something with dragons and stumbled onto this instead and then proceeded to devour it in two hours. If I didn't have things to do, I'd be starting book two right away and as it is, I'm debating on how badly I actually need to leave the house let alone wash my hair. The book is that good!

But don't take my word for it, pick it up and check it out. I doubt you'll be able to resist it any more than I wa
Robbin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book a lot more than I thought I was going to. I wasn’t sure at first because it takes a while to warm up to the story and characters but I really enjoyed it. There was so many twists and turns I really had no idea what was going to happen next. Next one please !
Toni ~married to a hunk~
OMG. This book is so good. Anything by Shannon Mayer keeps me hooked. I think that her trilogy’s se the best. I can’t wait for another book in this series. I couldn’t believe that about Maks and Steve is awful. Something is up with Ish and I hope they figure it out soon.
Melodie Custer-luckett
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book....

Ms. Mayer is constantly bringing in new stories and characters that just suck us in as readers...

Zam, Balder and Lila are such GREAT Characters... Steve not so much....

Can't wait to see what the future brings for ALL of them....

GREAT NEW SERIES!!!
Melissa
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Amazing Series Starter

Honestly, is there anything Shannon Mayer writes that isn't amazing?! Rylee, Nix, and now Zam! I had no idea what to expect when beginning this journey. I am eager for book 2! How does Shannon captivate her readers so easily?!
Sheila Ryals
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
😻

I'm not sure I love the world. but I'm dam sure I loved some of the characters!!! Zam especially! The world they live in is scary as hell. And kind of a bit to dam mean!! God now I gotta wait on book two and I want it now!!!!!!
doreen
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
this was the first book I have read from this author. I liked it, kept me interested and wanting to know what will happen. I love Zam and Maks and Lila (the dragon). I will read the next book in this series.
Laurie Cook
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magical

What can I say? The main characters were intriguing, charming, and well developed. I look forward to reading much more.
Amanda Kulikowski
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lions and Jinn and Dragons! Oh my!

The first chapter or so didn’t quite grip me, but I am so glad I kept reading. I can’t wait for more!

• Assassin (Starlight, #1)
  • Magic Immortal (Dragon Born Awakening, #3)
  • Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2)
  • Lights Out Lucy (Music City Rollers #1)
  • Eden's Garden (Nia Rivers Adventures, #5)
  • The War Mage A Montague & Strong Detective Story (Montague & Strong Case Files)
  • Murdered Gods (Shadows of the Immortals, #2)
  • A Step into the Dark (Ollie Wit, #1)
  • Defying Magick (The Witch Blood Chronicles #2)
  • Fugitive of Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Protector #1)
  • Unchained (Feathers and Fire, #1)
  • Aflame (Legacy of Flames, #3)
  • Reluctant Hood (Red Hood Chronicles Book 1)
  • Paper Stars (Ordinary Magic, #3.6)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
  • Deadline (Blood Trails, #1)
  • Crimson Sunrise (Crimson Trilogy #2)
  • Maggie Reloaded (Maggie MacKay Magical Tracker #7)
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was born into a family of Star Wars nuts. I have a lot of siblings (somewhere I lost count but I think there was more than could be numbered on one hand) and being one of the young padawans I was subjected to Star Wars marathons, on a regular basis. If you've read any of my books you'll see there is often a reference to said movies as a small homage to my u ...more

Desert Cursed (5 books)
  • Dragon's Ground (Desert Cursed, #2)
  • Jinn's Dominion (Desert Cursed, #3)
  • Oracle's Haunt (Desert Cursed, #4)
  • Wyvern's Lair (Desert Cursed Series Book 5)
“There were enough ‘buts’ in that little story to make a gay man giddy.” 1 likes
“there are times you must take a chance. You. Because maybe tomorrow, you might not be alive. Live for the moment. In order to get up each day and face the darkness—you need to embrace the moments of joy in life. One day, the inevitable will come for you and you will have no more todays.” 1 likes