Start by marking “The Solstice Prince (Realms of Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Solstice Prince (Realms of Love, #1)

The Solstice Prince

(Realms of Love #1)

Rescued from slavers, healer novice Jaime Buchanan finds himself alone and free in Pyrderi, a kingdom of magic, mythical creatures, and a culture as open and kind as his homeland was cruel and close-minded.

Despite his rescue, Jaime is not left without scars, both mental and physical. Traumatized by his experience and hiding his gift, Jaime struggles to earn his place in t
Paperback, 1st edition, 182 pages
Published November 24th 2017 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Solstice Prince, please sign up.
Yasmine For now, this is technically a standalone. At the end of the book it says that Jaime and Maxim will have a sequeal later on in the series but the next…moreFor now, this is technically a standalone. At the end of the book it says that Jaime and Maxim will have a sequeal later on in the series but the next book will consist of two different main characters in a different kingdom. Hope this helps :)(less)

Shin Mon Thway
First of all, I can’t even say how much I’m grateful that I was presented with the opportunity to review this novella in advance. 💗💜💗 Everyone knows that I’m a diehard fan of S.J. Himes and I got giggly and excited like a 5 years old in a candy shop every time she comes out with a new book. 😁 I mean her works are just exceptional. 👏 However, you can be assured that my reviews always are and will be unbiased. 😌 Anyhow, let’s get to the actual reviewing.

Jaime was once a student learning to be a
Jenni Lea
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bmbr
This was such a sweet, sweet story. A deviation from her usual paranormal action/adventure, SJ Himes delivers a gentle, quiet tale of a remarkable boy and the prince who loved him.

To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like this. It was so far removed from what I've come to expect from this author that I felt a bit off-kilter when I started reading. But, as I got further into the story, I found myself smiling more and more. I should have known that I needn't have worried; I have yet to read
Barbara➰
What a sweet winter solstice read! I loved both characters. Jaime grew as a person to become who he was meant to be. And Maxim was patient, kind and helped him to grow. I loved the world building and I can't wait for more in the series for sure. And I LOVED the drawings within.

I have to agree with other reviewers that not much really happens. There is potential in several places for some drama or angst. I appreciate that it was a sweet, easy read and was just what I needed. But I think a little
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts! - Group Review with JL and Lost in a Book!

SJ Himes is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, and I really can’t find much fault at all with her newest release. Markedly different from her Beacon Hills Sorcerer series, this was simply a feel good love story blending historical, magical, and fantasy elements that will surely pique many a reader’s interest.

Kind Jamie, is rescued from a cruel fate, and though he’s scared and damaged, he finds some measure of comfort in the place he’s now i
Susan
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This started out really great. We had lots of hurt/comfort and I couldn’t wait for the rest of the story. But unfortunately I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.

This fantasy story starts with Jaime at work in the big kitchen of the palace. He has been brought there several weeks ago when he was rescued from a slave ship. Jaime has no idea in what kingdom he is, but he knows he has to keep his healer magic a secret or he will be punished.

When his gift is accidentally discovere
Meags
4 Stars

This fantasy tale is all things sweet and charming, and was an absolute joy to read.

Set in the captivatingly magical land of Pyrderi, this story follows foreigner and healer novice Jaime Buchanan in the weeks after he is rescued from slavers and brought to live and work in the kitchens at Angharad Palace.

Still skittish from his time in captivity, Jaime keeps his head down and does as he’s requested, choosing to hide his innate gifts of healing because he’s unsure whether his magical abi
S.J. Himes
Nov 09, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book will be released Nov. 24th, 2017. Exclusive to Amazon through Kindle Unlimited.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 3/15/18
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*I tried loving it though...*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Not too bad, but far from great. It tended to be quite boring, but S.J. Himes didn't fail in making me smile. The Solstice Prince was a cute, fast forward story with little depth and little action. Meaning; not much happened expect for healer novice James ‘Jaime’ Buchanan (19) and youngest son of the Pyrderian king, a sword master and a devastatingly kind man, Prince Maxim Amalsan Angharad (25) finding love in each other. Overall, it's not a book to w
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, kindle-unlimited
I think this book cast a spell on me.

S.J. Himes has seriously climbed up my favorite author list, no doubt about it.

I feel like I want to complain about a lot of things but I just can't. When I start to think about something that I didn't like or something that totally shouldn't work for me I can't voice it.

Spell work for sure.

This book did work for me even when it shouldn't. There was just something so easy about it even when it was difficult. It read to me so lovely and hopeful and just made
~Volha~
I love SJ Himes writing style. Her descriptions are well written and detailed. You can get lost in the worlds she creates and in this regard this book is the same. She built a wonderful new world filled with magic and ancient fantastic creatures. I loved reading about it. The whole magic healing and mage part was fascinating to discover.

The romance was sweet and sickly sugary. There was barely any inner monologue and I knew nothing about Prince Maxim because this book only had one POV - Jaime's
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
DNF @ 78%

So, I have been reading this for weeks now and I just can't get into it. The characters are too perfect and yes, I know whatshisname was a slave and was free, still. Their relationship just fell into place, everyone is happy for them, I can't believe I'm saying this, but where is the angst? I am so bored,I'm waiting for some battle,someone almost dying, some big misunderstanding, something to spice the book up a little bit.

I want to say i'll try some other time but I very much doubt it.
BWT (Belen)

This could be the start of a beautifully romantic fantasy series.

Jaime Buchanan was captured by slavers during one of the darkest periods in his life. Reeling from grief, he contends with horrible abuse before being rescued by a twist of fate. That twist brings him to the Angharad Palace and eventually into the arms of the youngest Prince, Maxim.

The story actually begins after Jaime is rescued, and the reader/listener is only given slight anecdotal glimpses of the cruelty he lived through. When
Joyfully Jay
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Solstice Prince is the first book in the new Realms of Love series by S.J. Himes and it introduces a lovely couple in Jaime and Maxim. They are just both such nice, good people, you can’t help but root for them. Himes has clearly taken care setting up this series and building not just the palace and the capital city, but giving us a bigger picture of some of the surrounding countries and their politics, including Jaime’s native land. And this is just a sweet,
Melissa
This was just average. The story didn't DO anything! The narration was fine and I feel it made the story even better because this was boring. What was the point? No drama, no villain, no war, no misunderstanding, no bigotry, no fear about falling in love, no death, no mistakes, no evil eye. Like what even? If you are looking for a story to just pass the time and don't want drama, this is it. It was sweet and the characters were nice to everyone. Sigh, I expected a much different story, and this ...more
Cadiva
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations perfectly capture the very sweet nature of the novel which lies within the pages.

This really is a lovely fantasy where there is only a small amount of angst which is mostly over before the real narrative begins.

While there is an element of insta love in the way Maxim falls for Jaime, it didn't really bother me as this is a world of magic where griffons fly free in the skies and a prince is free to give his heart to an apprentice healer with a great gift.

I loved the settin
Lost in a Book
Group review with JL and R
4 Stars

hotc.jpg

*takes sip*

Ahhh, yes. This book went down like hot chocolate on a cold winter day with tons of marshmallowly fluffy goodness. I’m all warm and fuzzy thinking about the absolute sweetness that was The Solstice Prince.

I’ll provide full disclosure and admit that I chose to read this because the cover reminded me of a M/M Harry Potter. Not. Even. Lying. *shrug* I’m weak when it comes to that series. While it wasn’t similar to HP, it held its own special place in my h
Bo
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 STARS

I really enjoyed the world building in this novel. It was a sweet and often fluffy read. There were times I wish more was happening in the story. However, I waited with bated breath because I didn't want anything to disturb the blossoming young love. I did feel like I was reading a teen book, until the last several pages. I anticipate the next novel with great excitement. The country they were in seemed sort of a utopia. It seemed a wonderful world to grow and be unafraid to love. Spoi
Tammy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an enchanting love story ❤!!! Jaime was such a kind soul and I just fell in love with Prince Maxim, what a true gentleman. I just loved how he went about courting Jaime and making him feel at ease and seeing little by little how comfortable Jaime started to become after being trapped as a slave for so long because of a gift that his home people didn't understand.
I just adored this story 😍...
Rachel Emily
Well! This was the sweetest, most old-school-woo-ing-est, ridiculously romantic stories that I have read in a while! And I loved it! Just what I needed!

I adored Maxim and Jaime together - my heart broke for everything that Jaime had endured in his past and how hesitant he was towards having anything good in his life. And boy, Maxim sure brought a lot of good to his life! They were so sweet, I loved how Maxim took his time in making Jaime comfortable being around him as he totally wooed him.

Love
Eugenia
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, on-ku, fantasy
3.5 Stars.

Let me say that I truly liked the story. There. This read more like a YA novel save for one scene. I kept expecting something bad to happen. Some sort of climax. I guess that’s for the next novel, maybe? Zero bad. Nada Zip. OK, Jaime was rescued off a slave ship and he refers to his time there, but other than that? Happy times indeed. I thought that was kind of odd. I kept waiting for some sort of complication in the storyline. Silly me. I swiped and got to the review page instead.

Lack
Len Evans Jr
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
OK... where to start... this was just about the sweetest and most heartwarming story I have ever read. It has feels up the wazoo and while there were a few sad tears, the vast majority were happy ones. In this book Ms. Himes has created a beautiful, intricate masterpiece. Her characters are so very real and the writing is a joy to read and made it very hard to put the book down to get some sleep! Anyone who likes a well told fairytale with a nice dash of m/m heat will love this book. Also I have ...more
Gabriella
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a perfect book for a bad weather day, be it a rain day or snow day, this is the book. Or if you're just feeling down and need a pick-me-up.
This book is the equivalent of a big slice of cheesecake with whipped cream and a hot coffee. It makes you totally happy and feel good. The Solstice Prince is fluffy cute goodness with no angst!

Mike
Fairy-tale Prince Charming to the rescue story (but the sizzle really didn’t work for me)

The first part of this book was the strongest, detailing an abused young man recently liberated from slavery meeting the prince of his new home (as a kitchen aide at a palace in a new country). The hesitation, fear, and uncertainty early on worked well, but then the story fell into relatively pat and conflict-free reltionship building with only the tiniest bit of UST.

I’m a sucker for a wounded dude-in-distre
Erin
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
16 must be my lucky number because here I am, abandoning another book a mere 16% in. I was all ready to dive headfirst into a fantasy-based gay romance, with knights and magic! And then I got about three pages in. And I became sad.

Mark another tally for R-A-W S-E-X-U-A-L T-E-N-S-I-O-N (if you said that in your head like a WWE announcer, don’t worry, I did too) that comes out of nowhere and makes no fucking sense. Lemme set up the scenario for you: Waif ex-slave kitchen boy delivers breakfast to
JenMcJ
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a well written book but after the first few chapters of hurt/comfort...it just rambles along with no purpose. It's a long book of princely courtship and maidenly (yes, this feels very m/f) modesty. This could very easily be confused with an old Regency romance.

It was very long for how boring it was. The insta-love didn't even leave any room for does he/doesn't he angst. There's no palace intrigue. There is no difficulty that must be surmounted except maybe a little PTSD that is overcome
Carra
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SJ Himes once again puts her incredible writing talent on display here in The Solstice Prince. In this story that takes place in Himes’ carefully crafted fantasy world, I found a slow-burn romance between two young men who are in some ways at opposite ends of the spectrum—one being royal and the other a commoner—and it others quite alike…namely in that they both have very special skills that they are both tremendously talented at wielding.

One of the things i loved about this story is how open,
Diverse
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: december-2017-dr
I love a good fantasy. I love it even more when an author writes amazing world building and outstanding characters. The Solstice Prince is an absolute delight. I suspected angst but got none. I will admit to a few tear jerking moments but at the same time, they were beautiful too.

Jaime was a slave, rescued when the ship he was in hit a storm and needed help. He enters a land where slavery is forbidden and kindness is everywhere. I admit I was just as suspicious as Jaime when everyone was respect
JadeSarah.
“I don’t want the world,” Jaime said. Maxim lifted his eyes, and Jaime’s heart exalted at the hope he saw there. “I just want you. Is a prince too much to ask for?”
“Not this prince, and not here,” Maxim replied, and he pushed back from the table and stood, rounding the table to Jaime’s side. Jaime stood, his hands lifting to circle Maxim’s neck. “This prince is yours, forever, if you’ll have him.”

A fantasy romance a young guy with the gift to heal that fell into the wrong hands once upon a ti
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Beautiful. Engaging and romantic.

I’m in love with this world S.J. Himes has crafted. I did not want this to end and am still drying my happy tears.

Special shout out to the illustrations by Sarah Jo Chreene. Amazing!
  • Capture (Torsere, #1)
  • Timshel
  • Sūnder  (Darksoul, #1)
  • Battle of Will
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • The Merman and the Barbarian Pirate
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winter Prince
  • The Dream of a Thousand Nights
  • A Wizard's Shelter
  • Locked (Telluric Realm, #1)
  • Breeding Stations (Alliances #1)
  • Ge-Mi (Part One)
  • Blood for Magic
  • The Prince of the Moon
  • The Circle Unbroken (Eight Kingdoms #2)
  • Deadly Secrets (Kings of Eternity #1)
  • Found at Sea (Tales of Fate #1)
A HISTORY OF TROUBLE is available on Amazon, ASIN B07P541GLQ.

If you have questions for me, and want an answer sooner rather than later, find me on Facebook or Twitter. Social media links on my website, along with a FAQs page for the most common questions I get asked.

Current writing cluster titles are available on my Works in Progress page at my website. www.sjhimes.com

I also write as Revella Haw
“Fear is nothing to be ashamed of. It keeps us alive more often than not. Gives us caution, spares us pain. It can also hold us back. Wisdom comes from knowing the difference between listening to our fear, and when to be brave.” 2 likes
“Fear is nothing to be ashamed of. It keeps us alive more often than not. Gives us caution, spares us pain. It can also hold us back. Wisdom comes from knowing the difference between listening to our fear, and when to be brave. And sometimes fear settles in us so deeply, the wounds so raw and horrible, that it never truly leaves.
...
My point, young man, is fear is senseless, cruel, and, sometimes, necessary.”
0 likes