Start by marking “Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century” as Want to Read:

Product management has become a critical connective role for modern organizations, from small technology startups to global corporate enterprises. And yet the day-to-day work of product management remains largely misunderstood. In theory, product management is about building products that people love. The real-world practice of product management is often about difficult

Published November 8th 2017 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Product Management in Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Product Management in Practice

Start your review of Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
kartik narayanan
Read the full review at my blog

tl;dr – Product Management in Practice has great practical advice for aspiring product managers.

The skill of actually figuring out what you need is probably as important as what you do after you figure it out.

What is the book about?
Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century is written by Matt LeMay, an experienced product leader.

This book has been written, according to Matt LeMay, to talk about the day to day
Ian Stewart
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This belongs on your shelf next to Managing Humans and Radical Candor. It’s written in a conversational style that focuses on where the theory of getting things done breaks down in real life — and then it tells you how to push through. Highly recommend for anyone managing teams that make things. This book was a 10x confidence booster, corrective, and guide for me.
Lehel Ferencz
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
One of those rare books which changes professional paradigms. Clear, practical, memorable and easily applicable.
Alecsphys
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a must read book for whoever wants to understand what a product managers is meant to do. Reading this book was how reading my daily diary of my working activities with all critical points I have to manage. A really illuminating book about a key role in a company. But as stated into the book "No matter how
smart you are, product management demands that you learn how to be wrong.
No matter how charismatic you are, product management demands that you
learn how to back up your words with actions.
Greg
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTES:
• Pursue clarity over comfort to build your communication skills.
• Seek out opportunities to solve organizational problems on the systemic level rather than the individual level. If the rules aren’t working, change them, don’t break them.
• Don’t let the day-to-day organizational conflicts of your work pull you out of your user’s reality. Remember that what your company cares about and what your users care about are different things, and be a relentless advocate for the latter.
• Remember
KC
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Product Management guru Matt LeMay offers his wisdom surrounding the question: "So, what exactly does a product manager do all day, anyhow?"

The acknowledgment of the ambiguity of the role is a welcome relief. He offers the primers to frame the role: (1) You are not the boss (2) You are not actually building the product yourself and (3) You can’t wait around until somebody tells you what to do.

The introductory profiles lampooning the "bad examples" of product managers were both
Ayush Jain
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently completed this book and I have to say, this is one of those books that you would want to revisit at various stages of your Product Management career. You can buy it from Amazon here.

The learnings present in this book are timeless and would be applicable differently to product companies at various different stages but principles more or less remain relevant and highly applicable.

I highly recommend reading this book but just so you get a glimpse of what to expect, here is a summary of
Oscar Mario
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book for starting product managers

I’ve been in the product manager role for a year, I’ve read dozens of articles and several books, I’ve been in charge of old and new products, and this book has been like a gift from the gods to me. There were several situations where what I was reading just happened to me or was about to happen and I was able to apply what I learned with great success.
I think this is one of those few books that I want to read several times, I cannot stress enough how
David Shackelford
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great descriptivist guide to the art of product management. Not a ton that’s new here- but some new lenses for looking at the core skills of planning, communication, stakeholder and customer management, and everything else that needs to happen to get value to users. Would particularly recommend this one to new PMs trying to understand the role.
Ditri Ahmetaj
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great insights on the practical side of the PM role

Some of the insights discussed in this book are questioned by employers in job interviews regarding the PM position.

The author clearly lists various difficulties and real circumstances that happen when working as PM

Highly recommend it to those starting out as a PM
Joel Davis
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally base my rating on how many highlights I make in the book. Even though I'm not a product manager, per se, I found a lot of valuable information in this book. It helped me understand the PM role better and gave me insights into managing the products that I do work on better. I especially found his insights about working with those above you and those below particularly helpful.
Lance Willett
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a product manager you are the glue that connects disciplines to solve real customer problems. Build bridges by communicating often, and aim for clarity over comfort. Be open to do whatever it takes to find the right answer.

This practical guide clearly explains the product manager's job and the guiding principles for success in the role.
Galichka Sidarenka
Great read to dive into a new role of a product manager. Lots of real and practical examples that teach you to go beyond frameworks and tools in order to succeed.
Jesse Richards
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I wish I had read 10 years ago. I had already come to most of the same conclusions as the book, but through lots of trial and error. An excellent guide.
Sloan
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insight into management and leadership.
Petri
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise, nicely opinionated with useful examples and clear references for futher reading.
Trisin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of general thinks and water.
Martyna
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!
Paiman Chen
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical indeed.
Daniel Hollands
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it very readable, and look forward to reading it again when I actually get a product management job.
TC
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that gives an overview of what product management is and the right mindset to approach it. I’d recommend it to anyone interested in the field.
Philip Morton
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, witty and grounded in reality. This is a must read for anyone in the field.
Howard
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super practical advice for the day-to-day work of a product manager.
Saket Saurabh
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, practical and easy to read
Mark A.
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Together with Melissa Perri's 'Escaping the Build Trap', I consider this essential - practical! - reading for new product managers.
Ahmad
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must-read for every new product manager
Alex
I'm writing this review from the perspective of what I find helpful as a designer which may not necessarily reflect what is actually helpful for product managers.

The framing of this book is around Product Management as a practice. What this means is that it focuses on the being of a product manager (your values, habits, attitude, etc.) more so than the knowing or doing. For example, it highlights the importance of clarity in communication and the role of product management as being connective,
Federico Benedetto
Dec 23, 2017
Abhishek Shekhar
Dec 10, 2019
Bülent Duagi
Jun 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • The Visual MBA
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Lean vs Agile vs Design Thinking: What you really need to know to build high-performing digital product teams
  • Just Enough Research
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Start at the End: How to Build Products That Create Change
  • Measure What Matters
  • Mapping Experiences: A Complete Guide to Creating Value Through Journeys, Blueprints, and Diagrams
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster