Start by marking “The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:

The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea

(The Four Kingdoms #1)

One dark and stormy night, lost and alone, Alyssa finds herself knocking on the door of a castle.

After a lifetime spent in the deep forest, Alyssa has no idea what to expect on the other side.

What she finds is two unruly young princesses and one very handsome prince. When Alyssa accepts the job of Princess Companion she knows her life will change. What she doesn’t know
Published January 2nd 2016 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Companion, please sign up.
Emma The MC is 17-18 during the book but as far as mature content goes it’s really clean. There are only a few short kisses between her and her love intere…moreThe MC is 17-18 during the book but as far as mature content goes it’s really clean. There are only a few short kisses between her and her love interest and not any graphic violence. It’s good but not overly complicated and I think 13-14 on up would be fine. (less)
Melanie Cellier Hi Shaylee, The Princess Companion is currently available as a paperback from amazon.com.

Start your review of The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea (The Four Kingdoms, #1)
human
(0.5/5 my braincell experienced permanent damage)

Whatever this book was, it was not fun.

The Princess Companion is essentially a Princess and the Pea retelling, which sounds good in theory, except make everything trope-y as fuck and all of the characters infuriating, which doesn't sound good at all. Plus insta-love, because all great books have that involved to some degree /s .

The very first problem with this book is its main character - if the main character of a book isn't interesting or, as wi
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales, ya
I LOVE FAIRY TALE RETELLINGS - JUST NOT THIS ONE

I absolutely love fairy tale retellings and because I haven't ever before come across another Princess and the Pea retelling, I was super excited for this one. Sadly, my excitement fell flat.

👎 WHAT I DISLIKED 👎

Unsurprising: I don't think there was one single thing that happened in this book, that I hadn't anticipated in some way. It was just way to predictable.

Flat: Really, not a whole lot happened in this book. It was such a flat experience - the
Dianne
No matter what your go-to genre is, admit it, you still like well-told fairytales. Here’s your chance to enjoy the re-telling of The Princess and the Pea, thanks to Melanie Cellier’s The Princess Companion!
In unsettling times, political alliances must be made, but the Queen still wants true love for her son. Who knew a dark and stormy night would bring a bedraggled woodcutter’s daughter to the castle door? Who could have known that strong-willed and resourceful girl could change the destiny of h
Celestria
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Did I stay up past 3am reading this book? Yes. Yes, I did. And I have few regrets. I downloaded this on a whim because it was free and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. A fun, easy, clean read!
Amanda Hupe
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I have started another series! Guys, I think I have a problem. The afterlife is just an endless room full of books right? Because that will be the only way for me to catch up on all the books I want to read. So this new series is called The Four Kingdoms by Melanie Cellier. The first book is The Princess Companion: A Retelling of the Princess and the Pea. The book introduces Alyssa, a woodcutter’s daughter. She gets lost in the woods during the storm and finds herself at the castle and begging f ...more
Emma
I couldn’t put it down!! I really liked Max and Alyssa and their love story. And all the books.😍 I love how they read together. *sighh* Getting the queen’s story was also a really neat addition!
I recently read the first two Beyond the Four Kingdoms books so seeing the twins as eleven-years-olds was so much fun.
Amanda Hupe
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Claude's Bookzone (semi hiatus)
2.5 Stars

A simple and sweet fairy tale retelling. I like the slightly feminist makeover but sadly it ultimately still felt like the Prince got the girl. Our heroine was undoubtedly smart and courageous and the warmth of her character oozed off the page. I prefer a bit of attitude in my heroines but I still appreciated Alyssa. An enjoyable read.
Grace Johnson
I’ve been wanting to read Melanie Cellier for a long while now. For one, who could resist such beautiful covers? For two, that blurb sounds pretty amazing! For three, I’ve heard a lot of great things about her books, so put the three together, and it’s a no-brainer.

I had to at least give her a try.

I went into The Princess Companion very hopeful...then, about a page in, I was already prepped to throw in the towel. Throughout the first chapter (or was it the prologue?) in Max’s point-of-view, I
Shahad takleef
Source : received an e-book copy of the book in exchange of an honest review .
thanks to author Melanie Cellier

Actual Rating : 3.5 stars

a nice well-told retelling of the princess and the pea with some subsided retelling of cinderella story which was a bit different and i really did enjoy reading it .
the whole book is nice and it gave me warm fuzzies .

the story of alyssa who lost her way in the forest then found her self in front of the royal winter castle . the plot progresses and she is assig
Sarah Elizabeth
(Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was a fairy tale retelling of The Princess and the Pea.

Alyssa was an okay character, and she seemed fairly resourceful and able to turn her hand to anything. She was also quick to remind people that she wasn’t a princess and didn’t deserve special treatment.

The storyline in this was about Alyssa going to a castle for shelter when lost in the woods, and ending up getting a job there as a companion to the two young princesses, while the King and Queen ha
Katherine Perry
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The first thing I gotta say is that I LOVED this book!!!!! I loved it so so much!!! It had a great plotline that kept me curious till the end! And it had WONDERFUL characters!! (Characters are my favorite thing in books, and these characters were superb!) I just can’t get enough of Max and Alyssa! Plus, it had a lot of side characters that I loved as well.

On top of loving the storyline and the characters, I was SUPER happy that this was a clean book! No bad words that I could tell (except I thin
Elizabeth Dragina
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was entertaining enough...a little cliche for my taste.
Bryn Shutt
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't like fairytale retellings. I don't read books with dramatic girls in even more dramatic poses on the cover.

...I adored this story.

There, that's enough enigma for one day.

So, scat, go read it while I go off to devour the next one.

My only complaint on this lovely was that the middle dragged ......... on ........ horribly. But the climax was well worth my few chapters of boredom.
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
Ehhhhhh. *shrug* so here's the truth of it: this is a fun read, and if you judge books by enjoyment, you'll probably love this one (maybe the rest of the series too). It's an easy, light read. There's romance. There are obvious villains. Good triumphs over evil, the guy gets the girl, etc etc. You know how it goes. This book is exactly what you think it is: entertaining and fun. I'm harsh with ratings, and I think I'm pretty up front about it. If you like light and fluffy reads from time to time ...more
Amy
I am a sucker for princess and the pea retellings in ANY form (I once checked out every children's book my library had that told the story) so even though I went in with misgivings, I knew I had to give this one a try.
And it was...pleasant. Nothing to write home about but not anything I lightly dismiss either. The beautiful, kind heroine floats about doing beautiful, kind things; the charming, handsome prince strides about being charming and handsome; and the villain arrives and behaves with pr
Camille
The Princess Companion was a lovely retelling of The Princess and the Pea fairy tale. After Alyssa, a woodcutter’s daughter, finds shelter at the royal family’s winter castle, she becomes the Princess Companion to the young twin princesses, Lily and Sophie. In addition, she befriends the sweet Prince Max, who is expected by his parents to host several foreign princesses in order to find the perfect bride.

Alyssa was a kind and smart heroine with a flair for storytelling and tending her mischievo
Erin
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
description

This is a retelling of the Princess and the Pea. This book was clean, fun, and goes along with the basic fairytale. I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best retelling, but I think it was really trying to go over the basics. It was light and fun, which is nice because a lot of retellings end up getting pretty dark. It did have its own uniqueness to it, though.

SPOILERS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I liked the fact that it wen't over the character having a sensitivity problem and that was why she
Coralie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 in Melanie Cellier's Four Kingdom's Series! Princess and the Pea is so underrated, but this retelling totally took the cake! The story nodded to the fairytale, but grew a life all it's own--an intricate and thrilling life! The plot drew me in and held suspense and tension in many points. I also really liked the way the book was formatted. Not only was it well-written, but it was well-formatted too, and in such a way as to draw the reader in even further to the plot. I particularly enjoyed ...more
Megan Louise
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorably cheesy and I loved it. Sometimes you just need a simple fairytale story with an enormously happy ending.
Lilian
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Excellent story! definitely skipped out on a few hours of homework to read this.

Favorite characters: Princess Marie + Princesses Lily and Sophia (I hear there's a story about them in the next series which I'm hypeddd for). Wish we could've dived deeper into Max, though. I feel like I didn't really get to know much about him beyond the bare essentials.

oh and Felix and Nate and Harrison yessss
Allyson Jamison
Feb 13, 2022 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book!!!!!

I was a little unsure about it going into it but it was far better than what I was thinking!! It was so sweet and I absolutely adored the relationship between Max and Alyssa! Alyssa especially had an amazing personality and was someone I could admire. Max was the perfect match for her!

The adventure and intrigue was also on par! I was on the edge of my seat in many parts and gasping at others!! I did not expect everything that happened to happen...

Altogether an perfectly bea
Fifi’s Bookshelf
I found this book on a whim when I wasn't even looking for a new book, and I'm so glad I did! This gorgeous fairytale is probably my top book of 2016. Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguié, one of my favorite books in the world, is also a retelling of the Princess and the Pea. I hold that book to an extremely high standard and I was surprised to find this retelling almost, if not equally, matched to that retelling in terms of greatness. Reading this book was like spending 4 hours living in a Disney Princ ...more
Jolly Per
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

I have been obsessed with classic fairy tale retells ever since I read The Lunar Chronicles early this year. So when I read the synopsis and heard that the author was giving free copies of this book in exchange of an honest review, I quickly signed up and dived into it at once.

The Princess and the Pea was not a very famous fairy tale story unlike Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and such. I don't even remember Disney made a movie
Katie (Hiding in the Pages)
The story begins with a woodcutter's daughter, Alyssa, seeking shelter and finding a castle. The Winter Castle is the home of a royal family...for four months out of the year. She becomes the companion to the young twin princesses, also befriending their older brother, Max. Alyssa quickly becomes beloved of this royal people.

There is a definite Princess and the Pea vibe for the first part of the book, but then that feeling all but disappears. While still entertaining, another story emerges and
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
After not being able to reading a novel for quite some time, this was a really enjoyable change of pace. I enjoyed some surprises along the way. The story's straightforward, and yet it's also not.

First off, I enjoyed Alyssa's temperament and the way she handled things. I like that she's neither clumsy nor overly proper. I like that while she speaks her mind, she also mindful of the words that will come out of her mouth. She might not have been born a princess, but she's surely cut out for royal
J.M. Stengl
A lovely beginning to this series of fairy-tale retellings set in a vivid fantasy world. This story gives depth and meaning to a lesser-known tale, and the character development is delightful! The three bridal "contestants" for the prince are intriguing, and I was delighted to discover that each of them has her own follow-up book.
A reader will find it easy to sink into this story world and forget all else!
Fun reading. Highly recommended!

Kristi
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I was one of the Beta readers (test reader as I know the author), and I thought it had excellent character development, and a very unique take on the traditional fairy tale story. Well written too, especially for a first novel. Cant wait for the next one in the series!
Kathy Jo
For those of you who know me, you know I am not a fan of YA romance. I used to read it all the time but over the last few years, I just can’t.

So, imagine my surprise when I’m a good way into the book and realize that the heroine is 17 almost 18 years old. Confession. I did not read the synopsis at all. I downloaded the book on a recommendation from a book buddy. By this point I was already invested in the book, so I just kept reading.

The Princess Companion was a fun break from reality and I en
Annie Lima
May 27, 2022 rated it liked it

• An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • Traitor's Masque (Andari Chronicles, #1)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • Kingdom of Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (The Kingdom Tales #1)
  • Kingdom of Slumber: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (The Kingdom Tales #2)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • Kingdom of Cinders: A Retelling of Cinderella (The Kingdom Tales #3)
  • Shard of Glass: A Cinderella Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #1)
  • Kingdom of Feathers: A Retelling of The Wild Swans (The Kingdom Tales Book 4)
  • Voyage (The Kingdom Chronicles #6)
  • Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
See top shelves…
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels.
 She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

The Four Kingdoms (5 books)
  • The Princess Fugitive: A Reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood (The Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Princess Pact: A Twist on Rumpelstiltskin (The Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • The Princess Search: A Retelling of The Ugly Duckling (The Four Kingdoms, #5)

News & Interviews

The internet, on balance, has been something of a mixed-blessing for our species. But one thing everyone agrees on: It’s a great place to watch...
“I am soft. But that doesn't mean I'm not brave. I just save my bravery for when it's actually needed.” 17 likes
“Sometimes I have good ideas, sometimes I have bad ideas and sometimes I have colossally bad ideas.” 11 likes