Start by marking “Burning Up (Flirting with Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burning Up (Flirting with Fire, #1)

Burning Up

(Flirting with Fire #1)

USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Blackwood fans the flames of desire in her smoking-hot series about firefighters and the women who want them…

Unemployed schoolteacher Erin Jenkins is back in Portland, the town she hasn’t called home for more than a decade. It’s not the way she wants to spend her last days of summer: in between jobs and avoiding her mother’s snooping b
Published May 8th 2018 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Burning Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Up

Jen
3ish Stars

Erin’s done her best to avoid her hometown of Portland since she made her escape ten years ago. Finding herself suddenly unemployed, she heads back home to help run the family business while her mother recuperates from an injury. She may be looking to head back to California as quickly as possible, but running into her brother’s best friend, who just so happens to be the crush she’s never been able to forget, quickly reminds her hometown life aint so bad.

Single dad and studly firefight
Carol
2.5 stars.
I was fairly excited to read this book as I have read 4 others by this author and I enjoyed all of them immensely. Sadly this one didn't work at all for me.
It felt stilted, no flow or witty banter to support it. I also had trouble relating to either Jake or Erin as they seemed very one dimensional (very little character development) and there really wasn't even a good storyline to hold my interest.
So disappointed.
I missed the funny, lighthearted and sassy type of read that I usually a
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
After unexpectedly losing her teaching job, Erin is back home in Portland and not all happy about it. Her mother is overbearing and pushy, her brother is still standoffish and her little sister is freezing her out. Feeling out of sorts and at loose ends, Erin desperately clings to her life in California. It’s easier than wondering what about home has her running scared even after ten years.

After years of running wild, Jake has learned to curb his reckless impulsive side when his baby momma ran o
Wendy'sThoughts
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jennifer Blackwood fans, Romance
3 Crushes Become Real Stars
* * * Spoiler Free

We have the gal who left home to get away from a mom who was always out of control. She became a teacher in California but unfortunately got laid off... meaning she is back home helping the mom.

The firefighter she has had a crush on since forever was her brother's best friend. Since she had been gone, he had a relationship that went south but ended up with a pre-teen daughter.

Now he just lives for his job and daughter... he has no time for anything
1-Click Addict Support Group
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet….

Erin is back, kicking and screaming, as she helps her family while looking for a job that will take her back out of her hometown. Jake is happily working and single-parenting, not looking for any complications in his full to the brim days. Things change though when Jake and Erin attend a wedding together. What started off as matchmaking avoidance suddenly achieves the opposite…

“The guilt-trip ship had sailed years ago, and now was left with a vessel named the Zero-S**ts-Given.”

I liked t
Melanie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, romance
Burning Up features an outstanding romance with fantastic characters and I really enjoyed it!

After losing her teaching position in San Francisco due to budget cuts, Erin Jenkins returns to her hometown of Portland for the summer. While avoiding her mother’s attempts to convince her to move back permanently, Erin runs into Jake Bennett, her older brother’s best friend and her childhood crush. When Jake runs into Erin, he sees her as the perfect solution to his lack of date to his sister’s wedding
Jennifer Blackwood
Nov 19, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Thank you so much for reading my book! This one holds a special place in my heart and I hope you all enjoy Erin and Jake's story <3
If you want to keep current on my releases here are the best places to visit:
Newsletter (I promise, I only send out when I have news): http://bit.ly/1TAwPQZ
Jennifer Blackwood Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/15412...
Website: http://www.jenniferblackwood.com
Erin Jenkins is laid off from her teaching job and returns home to Portland to help take care of her mother. Her mother is...overbearing and controlling. Erin is reminded why she left town in the first place. Erin runs into Jake, her high school crush and brother's best friend, in a bakery one morning. He has a controlling family too and is in need of a date to a wedding to get them off his back about dating again. Erin agrees to go as his friend. She likes Jake, but plans on moving back to Cali ...more
Lady Heather
"5-No more running like your pants are on fire Stars!"

This is the first book I've read by Ms Blackwook, and it certainly won't be my last.
I really enjoyed this quick-read, sweet story which happened to be written with of my FAVOURITE story-lines (infatuated with your older brothers best friend who happens to be an amazing single parent fireman).

This truly was a delight to read.
There was no angst, no back-stabbing, infidelity, or any other strife other than the protagonists coming to terms with
« Court (Take the Read) »

Release date: May 8th, 2018

** ARC received from author. **

He promised himself he'd take it slow, but everything about Erin told him to move. Fast. To devour every inch of her while he could.

Couldn't put this down. Jennifer Blackwood is a new-to-me author, but the blurb sounded so good. I had to dive in. It kept me invested in every character throughout that I'm really looking forward to the other installments.

Erin is back in her hometown of Portland from San Fran now that her teaching positi
Dísir
If there’s anything to be expected of Jennifer Blackwood’s writing, it’s the hefty dose of humour inserted in straight from the start, or at least it’s what I’ve come to associate Blackwood with.

‘Burning Up’ began with a woman on the outs and her embarrassment all because of (wrong) timing—the usual thing that creates comedy—and the characters’ as well as the reader’s reactions to it were enough to bring me on board with it. For a firefighting book however, the burn between Erin/Jake was slower
Nicole
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved Jake and Erin. The fact that Jake was trying to be the best dad he could be for his daughter was touching. I love that he finally decided to let himself be happy and let the things between him and Erin blossom. Erin was a sweet girl but her indecisiveness drove my crazy sometimes. I liked the story between these two and the fact the Jake was going to do the best thing by his best friend and leave his sister alone. I am glad Reece finally told him it was ok and he could be happy. These tw ...more
Danielle
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
**ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

3.75/5. This book was a quick read, did it in a morning. If you are looking for a short romance novel I would recommend this slow burn novel. I do feel like this is the kind of book I would only read once though.

Full review on my blog: https://sorrowofabookblogger.blogspot...
Irene

Burning Up by Jennifer Blackwood is a fun and entertaining read.
I enjoyed the storyline, it was well written and while a little slow at times it held my interest until the end.
Erin and Jake were likable characters, it took me a little longer to connect with Erin but by the end I enjoyed watching their relationship unfold.

Burning Up is the first book in the Flirting with Fire series and I'm looking forward to what author Jennifer Blackwood has for us next.

*Burning Up is now live*
https:/
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
burn
MY RATING: 4/5 STARS
I received a copy from Thomas Allen & Sons in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, so who loves firefighters? Spoiler alert: Me. I love them but I don't read a lot of them because strangely, it's very hard for me to find print romances featuring the beefy hunks that can break down my doors and save my butt when a hot crisis hits. So when I was asked if I wanted to review Jennifer Blackwood's newest book in her Flirting with Fire series, of course, I said yes!

I must admit
Emma
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-wishlist
While Burning Up is romantic with terrific character development, the pacing was a problem for me. Unfortunately, I found it very slow with a lot of frustrating back and for with the characters and a definite lack of communication.
Erin has never fully fit in with her small hometown and was desperate to escape her micro-managing mother. Having to return to her family home for the summer following redundancy is initially Erin's worst nightmare come to life. However, being older and with the help
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
I love books that has single parents in it. And this one was good. I loved Jake. I mean what isn't to love about him. He is a single dad and he is a fire fighter. Oh YEAH!!!
Erin, I don't know, I felt like she was just using Jake until she had to leave again. Erin is back home to look after her mother, but also because she was just laid off from her job as a school teacher, budget cuts. Now she is home and looking for a job. But only jobs in California.
She has had a crush on Jake since they were
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews

I have been looking for a new romance series with firefighters.

I am pleased to say I have found another one, I am quite interested in continuing with!

Erin is home for the summer to help take care of her mom, and she has every intention of going back to California once she gets a teaching job. But things change when she runs into her high school crush
Mandi Schreiner
Erin Jenkins loves living in San Francisco and teaching, but when the state slashes their education budget, Erin is out of a job. While she applies for as many positions she can find, she decides to take a short break and return to her hometown of Portland, to visit with her family and help out her mom who has recently had surgery. She is hoping that within the next few weeks, she gets a phone call with a job offer. She feels a little bit caged in at home – with her family in her business and la ...more
A Klue
Alison
Erin Jenkins escaped Portland, Oregon when she was eighteen and was loving her life as a teacher in California until being in her probationary period and budget cuts left her jobless in the Summer holidays. Now her mother has had surgery and needs Erin to run their peanut butter food truck while she's out of commission. Back in her childhood home, complete with squabbling siblings Erin feels like she's dying inside. Then a meeting at Barry's Bakery with her brother's BFF Jake Bennett brings back ...more
April Symes
After unexpectedly losing her teaching job, Erin is back home in Portland and not all happy about it. Her mom is overbearing and controlling, her brother is not at all happy to have her back and is cool toward her and her little sister has put their relationship in the deep freeze. Erin is completely at loose ends and feels like she is rudderless and without a place to call home; even the firefighter she has had a crush on since forever was her brother's best friend and he moved on and had a rel ...more
Tania's Book Blog
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a combination of single dad and brother best friend love story which was also funny. Jake was a single dad who was also best friend with Erin’s older brother Reece. They hadn’t seen each other in a decade until Erin moved back home for the summer. When they saw each other it was instant attraction especially since Erin has always had a crush on Jake. Jake always thought she was cute but never wanted to break the bro code. But she was no longer that kid she was now all woman and sexy and ...more
2OCC Reviews
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: marie
Burning Up by Jennifer Blackwood is somewhat engaging but really lacks anything to draw you in. Both main characters, Erin and Jake, had so many hang ups about their lives that I think maybe they may have been better off without each other.

So much of the book was about the characters back and forth of will they, they do but they shouldn’t, back to will they again? Both characters had what I saw as flaws, which I know most characters do, but Erin and Jake didn’t do anything about theirs.

Erin ha
Dana
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
🔥🔥🔥🔥1/2 flames

Have you ever discovered a new author after reading a book that they wrote with another one of your fav authors?

Well, that’s how I discovered Ms. Blackwood. She co-wrote a book with an author I adore, RC Boldt, and the book, Tap That (a must read!!!)

Burning Up was absolutely perfect! The writing, the character development, the supporting characters and of course the main characters.

The chemistry between Erin and Jake was off the charts!!! 😫😫😫😫....because I just need more of Jake a
Alaina
Can I have a fireman?

Burning Up was a pretty good introduction to the Flirting with Fire series. In it, you will meet Erin and Jake. They've had pretty cute ass crushes on one another.. but there was always one thing standing in their way: her brother. I loved when they got together because there was so much sexual tension and it had me screaming at my audio book. I wanted them to just act on it - for once. Dive into something new and mysterious and then MAYBE they would find happiness.

Of course
Kelly
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So happy I got an early copy of this puppy! I alternated between chuckling through this book and aching for the characters to get out of their heads so they could finally see how good they are together. It sets up the subsequent books nicely and was a totally fun read! Also firefighters are damn sexy.
Ayekah
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Back in Portland much to her dismay, newly unemployed school teacher Erin is home for the summer, job hunting and helping out her ever meddling nut job of a mother. The family comes complete with a brooding teen age sister who refused her college scholarship and a jack hat bossy older brother who is a firefighter. Mom owns a food truck and the two girls are pitching in working while Mom recoups from minor surgery. Erin is job hunting every minute, determined to return to her life in California, ...more
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: http://romancingthereaders.blogspot.c...

When I saw the cover on Burning Up on NetGalley I knew I had to review it. I hadn't before read her but I was willing to give her a try. I mean...the covers great!

Like I mentioned I hadn't yet read her before so I wasn't sure what to expect from her. Right from the start I knew I had a problem. I was lost in the first few pages. Let me explain. The authors writing is very choppy. It was like she wasn't writing in f
Alecia ~☆~The Staircase Reader~☆~
description
Burning Up is the first novel in the Flirting With Fire series by Jennifer Blackwood. This novel revolves around a free spirited woman and one grounded firefighter who also happens to be a single father. This is also the first novel I have read by Jennifer Blackwood. As you all may know, I love finding and experiencing new-to-me authors! It's like christmas morning, you never know what you're going to get when you first dive into it.

Erin Jenkins is a free spirit with dreams of getting out of the
Jennifer Blackwood is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance. She lives in Oregon with her husband, son, and poorly behaved black lab puppy. When not chasing after her toddler, you can find her binging on episodes of Gilmore Girls and Supernatural, and locking herself in her office to write.

Come visit me on social media!
Twitter: @jen_blackwood
FB: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJen

Flirting with Fire (2 books)
  • Up in Flames (Flirting with Fire, #2)