Start by marking “Abroad (Abroad, #2)” as Want to Read:
Abroad (Abroad, #2)

Abroad

(Abroad #2)

The heartwarming and romantic conclusion to the duology celebrated by Teen Vogue as “a nuanced and sexy take on growing up and learning to accept who you are.”

Nick Melnikov has finally done it — he’s come out.

To himself. To his sister. And to Dex, who listens, hears him, and understands. To Dex, who kisses him and shows him all that they could be, if Nick could only find t
Published January 2nd 2018 by Brain Mill Press

To ask other readers questions about Abroad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abroad

K.J. Charles
I adored Abroad: Book One, a terrific contemporary NA about college students in London, particularly immigrant-twice-over Nick, a Russian American on a visa, Dex, a black Brit, and Izzy, the token straight of the group discovering her bisexuality. It's full of feelings and uncertainty, anxiety and exploration and hope. I don't usually read NA because the hell with young people but I'd read a lot more like this.

This is very much a book 2 and you ought to read #1 first, which as above is not a ha
Aleksandra
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
January 2nd:

Abroad: Book Two is the second and final book in the duology, my all time favorite NA contemporary duology. This book is the direct continuation of Abroad: Book One, so I am not going to talk about the setting and the plot, you can check my review of the first book.

I love the characters! Nikolay, Dex and Izzy are all pov character with very distinct voice, I genuinely liked reading about all of them. Of course, Nickolay is my favorite, because a fellow Russian queer young person. I l
Ellie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

So many feels!
A bit of uneven pacing but otherwise brilliant, showing that NA stage of one's life in it's full complexity, intersectional on every level.

Full review

Abroad: Book One was a stunning debut and one of my favourite reads of 2017. It's sequel completes the story of Nick and Dex and Izzy and the rest of the gang and it's an equally emotional and powerfully told tale of identity and (pro)claiming your true self.

I admit I was hesitant about the choice of two main romantic arcs,
Jude Sierra
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars like WHOA.

I won’t lie, this book will be impossible ignore without referencing the first book, since Abroad is a duology. I was lucky enough to get the first half for 99 cents when the second came out. I thought I’d read the first, see how I felt and then consider the second.

I bought this book two chapters into the first. It’s that good.

Jacobs balances so many threads in these books it’s dizzying. What’s more, she does it with envious skill. I’ll say off the bat: the writing is lovely. J
Natalie
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
**ARC provided in exchange for honest review**
Ok so first off if you want to read Abroad 2 you gotta read book 1. It's very much a sequel and it picks up not too long after Abroad 1 ends.

i loved this! i love these characters! We get to see so much growth with all of them. Nick my awkward child, i adored him in book 1 and he was still so very awkward in this and i adored him even more. He and Dex are trying to maneuver through their relationships while facing some real life struggles (Nick's fea
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, read-2018
ALL BOOKS SHOULD BE THIS DIVERSE!!!! no, really! this book integrates complex themes such as sexuality, race, mental health, identity, family, friendship, and belonging so flawlessly, I am OVERWHELMED! why can't all books be like this? it's not that hard!!! anyway, as with the first book this story is very character driven and what a bunch of diverse, relatable, and complex characters they are! I truly felt like I could see a bit of myself in each and every one of them.

the book also doesn't shy
Isa Tis
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cette duologie de Liz Jacobs est une vraie petite merveille et ce second opus est tout aussi réussi que le précédent ! L’auteur jongle une nouvelle fois , et de manière très habile, avec une ribambelle de personnages et d’émotions. Et puis ces couvertures qui mettent en valeur les créations de Megan J. Smith sont de toute beauté. Il me tarde d’avoir le livre papier de ce tome pour qu’il rejoigne son petit frère sur mes étagères.

Nous retrouvons les personnages là où nous les avons laissés, le len
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

- Review to come

Review originally posted on my blog with added content Mikku-chan / A world full of words
Karen BookAddict
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Encore meilleur que le 1er avec des développements inattendus. Juste génial ! <3
rin
this spoke to me on a spiritual level but also kind of hurt me at one point
rtc maybe
Roberta Blablanski
The Abroad series is one of the most unique stories I've read in that both books feature characters spanning a wide range of genders, races, nationalities, and sexualities, and each is presented in such a respectful manner. Book Two continues the story of Nick, Dex, and Izzy and their tight group of friends. It's a story of growth and discovery and coming to terms with change.

It's delightful to see Nick evolve into acceptance of his sexuality. He's like a kid in a candy shop, exploring all the
Katie
Advance Review Copy generously provided by the publisher.
** Review originally posted on BackPorchReader.com. **

The first book in the Abroad duology left us teetering on the mighty cliffhanger also known as OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?! Where Nick and Dex are taking tentative steps into Relationshipville. Izzy is coming to terms with realizing her sexuality while the earth quakes beneath her feet since learning about a secret crush that has the power to rock a seriously good friendship.

Book two picks
Cat M
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sonja
Listen, this book is like, 75% sex and I am HERE FOR IT.

Nick and Dex continue to be PERFECT and I loved everything about them. Some disjointed, spoilery thoughts: (view spoiler)
Racheal
So beautiful and real, full of all the messy, wild joy, pain, uncertainty of being young and figuring yourself out and finding the people who make you feel free to be your whole self.

I may or may not have sobbed like a little baby in the end... Ok, I totally did. I can't believe I just spent 800 pages absolutely falling in love with this group of London college kids, these living breathing characters that are currently taking up so much space in my brain, and I still want more. That's not to sa
Jay Bracknell
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Rain Merton

I loved this book a lot. It was so great to revisit the amazing cast of characters from Abroad and see them all develop and manage their lives in a plausible, relatable--sometimes heartbreaking--way. The main characters, Nick, Dex, and Izzy, all go through their individual struggles, and I love that they sometimes fuck up and other times succeed and take risks and ask themselves an inordinate amount of questions and enjoy life and each other.

The bonds of trust and friendship in this book are as
Ian  Cann
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I fell properly in love with this duology and part 2 here takes the magic of its predecessor/counterpart and keeps it sparkling whilst throwing in more relationship tension, personal development, issues of homophobia, racism and some fantastically racy and explicit gay sex scenes.

All in all, it's wonderful and fulfilling and warm and well yay. Recommended.
Vendela
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly lovely. A warm little gem of a book.
Helen Kord
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely as magnificent as the first book. I will write a longer review one day when Im in the right mood because this book deserves it. Christ I love this duology
Christina
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge: A book that’s published in 2018

Okay, same disclaimer as for Abroad: Book One: I know the author, she's awesome, I can't claim to be unbiased.

That said, if you read the first book, you should absolutely read this one. Same praise as before: the characters are all lovely human beings and the conflict arises naturally from the different personalities and situations rather than anyone actually being a bad person. There isn't an antagonist in this (well, except the
Michelle
3.5 stars. I liked this, but not as much as the first book. My biggest issue was just that (view spoiler) ...more
Samantha Ortega
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
FR- Alors alors… alors comme je vous le disais en introduction j’ai mis énormément de temps à lire ce livre. Et la raison en est très simple. L’histoire se passe à Londres, dans un milieu étudiant et il y a beaucoup beaucoup beaucoup d’argot. Du coup j’étais quasiment toutes les deux pages en train de vérifier la signification d’un mot. Au delà de ça, ce roman est un tome 2 et si le tome 1 m’avait semblé un peu poussif et lent, j’ai beaucoup aimé ce tome 2. J’ai retrouvé avec beaucoup de plaisir ...more
Susan
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbtq
When we last saw Nick and Dex at the end of Abroad: Book One they had a lovely (and steamy) HFN ending. In some ways it would have been easier to leave them there, but Liz Jacobs doesn't let them (or the readers) off the hook that easily in the second half of the duology, taking them through the agonies and ecstasies of a new relationship in which neither character is brave or self-assured enough to be totally honest. Add in Nick's cultural differences and utter panic at the thought of coming ou ...more
Rachel
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Books very rarely make me cry, but I was literally sobbing over the last page of this book. When Dex gives Nick a copy of fucking Kuzmin's 'Wings' and Nick doesn't even know what it is, I lost it completely. Because I do know what it is, and I know that--despite all of Nick's insistence otherwise--there is a history of gay Russians. And having that finally come to the forefront... I don't know, man. It caught me completely by surprise and just hit me so hard.

Anyway, this book. This series. All o
Racheal
So beautiful and real, full of all the wild hope, pain, joy, uncertainty, and beauty of being young and new and finding a group of people who make you feel free enough to be your whole self.

I may or may not have sobbed like a little baby in the end... Ok, I totally did. I can't believe I just spent 800 pages absolutely falling in love with this group of London college kids, these living breathing characters currently taking up so much space in my brain, and I still want more. That's not to say
Carly
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
JT
Wow - these kids were so confused. And not just about sexuality, which was obviously the main theme of this duology, but also about life and existence in general. All very dramatic and a little bit incestuous, yet relevant. But one should expect that from a group of 20-year-olds. We’ve all been there. Some of us never get over it, truth be told.

What made the story special, though, was the misfit characters. How different and how similar they were. Most of the twists had clearly been drawn from t
Tori
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This was such a lovely ending to the duology.

Coming out stories are always hard for me, and this one is difficult and painful and freeing and good. I loved Nick's journey and getting to go along with him on it.

I really appreciated that the story doesn't shy away from the hard things. It doesn't shy away from the reality of homophobia and racism and what it means to live as a gay person and a black person in this world.

There's a lot of sex in this book, and while it was all extremely hot, I ne
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Breaker of Chains (SPECTR Series 2, #4)
  • Poison Kiss (Earthside #1)
  • Seven Summer Nights
  • PsyCop Briefs: Volume 1
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • Skin Lane
  • Escape from Hell!
  • Climbing the Date Palm: A labor rights love story (Mangoverse Book 2)
  • The Bones of Our Fathers
  • Draco Malfoy, It's Your Lucky Day
Liz Jacobs came over with her family from Russia at the age of 11, as a Jewish refugee. All in all, her life has gotten steadily better since that moment. They settled in an ultra-liberal haven in the middle of New York State, which sort of helped her with the whole “grappling with her sexuality” business.

She has spent a lot of her time flitting from passion project to passion project, but writing

Abroad (2 books)