Start by marking “El bandido Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)” as Want to Read:
El bandido Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)

El bandido Hotzenplotz

(Hotzenplotz #1)

¡El bandido Hotzenplotz le robó el molinillo de café a la abuela! Kasper y Seppel saben lo que deben hacer: atrapar al bandido. Pero eso no resulta tan fácil, pues al ponerle una trampa, ellos mismos caen en las garras del bandido Hotzenplotz y del gran mago malvado Petrosilius Zwackelmann.
Published January 1st 2018 by Panamericana Editorial (first published August 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about El bandido Hotzenplotz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El bandido Hotzenplotz

Vivek Tejuja
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I steer clear from most children’s fiction. I don’t know why but that has always been the case – more or less. There are some books though that catches my fancy and I happened to literally bump into “The Robber Hotzenplotz” by Otfried Preussler online and couldn’t resist getting my own copy (on request from publisher) and I was more than pleasantly surprised by the book.

The story is simply told. The plot is of two boys – around eight or nine year olds – who are best friends – Kasperl and Seppel
Felicitas
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I do not remember reading the Hotzenplotz books as a child (or listening to them being read to me). But I don't like Kasperle-stories and so I was not that enthusiastic when my 4 year old son insisted we lend the first book from our public library.
But it was fun! I love the writing. The language is simple but beatuiful, it has a melodic ring. You can laugh at and with the characters. And the story is exciting but never frightening.
Great book for children of that age, maybe especially for boys. W
JP
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the books by Otfried Preussler when I was just a little girl, but I enjoy them to this date as much as I did as a child. I think this is probably one of my most often listened to audio book that I own. I generally play it at least once a month before I go to bed, sometimes even more often.
The story tells of cunning, friendship and magic. Of two boys that try to trap the robber for the police and who then experience their adventure of their life. I can only recommend it. If you love childr
Jamie Langes
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is among the first that captivated me and fueled my passion for reading when I was younger. This is an excellent story for children to be read aloud. The chapters are just long enough for the child to be interested, but not too long that they squirm. The storyline is equisitely fluid and the two main characters are lovable from the start. It reads like your typical fairytale with a robber, a magician, wishes, and a plotline that takes you to grandma's house, a thief's hideout, a myster ...more
Andrew Creak
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite child hood book to which I must thank Mr Moore my year 3 & 4 teacher in my primary school who read this to the class and made me fall in love with reading, I've always loved story's but not so much reading I remember my excitement when my uncle bought me a copy, I still have that copy half a decade later and is a pride possession of my child hood. Every one who enjoy fun children's story's should read this!
Keiry
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this story to Elias (6). It's a super cute story, has a couple of curse words. but that was easily changeable as I was reading out loud.
Neri.
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The robber Hotzenplotz is one of my favorite characters. The stories about him are timeless and great to read for everyone.
Jane
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come on - The Robber Hotzenplotz? Preussler had me with the title alone. And it's a cracking good story, to boot, with amusing illustrations and funny asides from the narrator. This would make an excellent read aloud for boys in particular.
Mariam Alneyadi
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-arabic
another book i read as a kid..
Cara
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nkyclear
Kasperl and Seppel vow to track down the Robber Hotzenplotz after he steals the musical coffee mill that they made for Grandmother, but the Robber outwits them and kidnaps them instead. In a comedy of errors, the two friends switch identities by swapping hats, a mistake which turns out to set them free in the end. The fairy tale is well-told in updated language with entertaining pen and ink illustrations that provide clues about the next step in the story. This reviewer’s only complaints are abo ...more
Vincent Desjardins
This fast-moving story starts with the robbery of a musical coffee mill and from there becomes a rollicking tale reminiscent of an old world fairy tale. As a matter of fact there is a fairy in this story, one who is under an enchantment that has turned her into a toad. There is also an evil magician with the funny name of Petrosilius Zackleman, as well as two unlikely heroes, named Kasperl and Seppel, who along the way will face adventures in a robber's cave and in a magic castle. I think younge ...more
Lisa
I love this book! It's hilarious both in text and illustration and includes elements of both action and fairy tale. It's a re-release of Otfried Preussler's 1962 story. Thanks to the New York Children's Collection it has a beautiful cloth covering and full-color illustration on the front. What a great way to re-enliven older stories that might appeal to this generation of kids. I want all of the titles in this collection but, alas, I would have to sell a kidney or something, which I probably sho ...more
Michi
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this as an audiobook as a kid and listened to it over and over again. Re-reading it recently made me notice how well I still knew some parts. It's a sweet, exciting and funny adventure story based on the typical characters of traditional German puppet shows. As expected, it's not exactly profound, there is nothing in the area of character development and towards the end some bits could really be cut, but all in all I understand why it's a children's classic.
Susan
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book. It is a kid's book. I borrowed it from the library for my third grade grandson, but I also read it myself.
This is such a fun book! Exciting and funny, and with colorful characters. The writer is from Germany, so you get a "German" flavor as you read. I really liked the illustrations, too. They were perfect for the story and the atmosphere.
Mary
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairy tale takes a turn for the bizarre in this German classic. Who knew that coffee grinders could be so important? Two boys reminiscent of Max and Moritz (see my review) meet fairies, frogs and wizards in their quest to reclaim grandmother's coffee grinder from the evil (but hilarious) robber Hotzenplotz.

(Read in: German)
Louise
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading it in Danish to my daugther
Emily
Jun 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this in German! I have no idea how good the English translation might be, but I have to say, it sure was fun reading in German (well written for kids).
Myra
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book of my childhood.

---

Brala z Jonom!
julia
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german, own
Never read it as a child but still enjoyed it a lot as a grown-up! :D
Lisainberlin
Actually, I wanted to praise the audiobook with Hans Baur, Axel Muck, Victor Drevin, and others but I think it's not being sold anymore.

Paula Soares
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light and pleasant to read, perfect if you're tired from work but still needs to invest some moments learning German...
Angelique
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cute stories, mothers and children at the age of 10 to 12
I loved it when I was younger! This is such a great story - it simply has the charm to warm your heart.
Kerstin
Hilarious!
I haven't read this since childhood, and it hasn't lost any of its charm and hilarity, if anything, I appreciate the humor much more today.
Sonja
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grown-up-with
loved it as a child even had a record of it and remember listening to it over and over again
John Nondorf
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever and funny with a sense of justice.
Molly
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious and exciting, especially when you have a husband who reads it aloud to your family in outrageous German accents.
The Twins
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great childhood memories came flooding back when I read this book to my sons. Shame they didn't translate the other books as well.

• Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Urmel aus dem Eis (Urmel, #1)
  • Meister Eder und sein Pumuckl (Pumuckl #1)
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Der Trotzkopf
  • Ferien auf Saltkrokan
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
Otfried Preußler (sometimes spelled as Otfried Preussler) was a German children's books author. His best-known works are The Robber Hotzenplotz and The Satanic Mill (Krabat).

He won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 1972 for Krabat.
He has sold roughly 50 million copies worldwide.

He was born in Liberec (German: Reichenberg), Czechoslovakia. His forefathers had lived in this area since the 15th c

Hotzenplotz (6 books)
  • Neues vom Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #2)
  • Hotzenplotz 3 (Hotzenplotz, #3)
  • Alles vom Räuber Hotzenplotz