Start by marking “The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)

The Beholder

(The Beholder #1)

Selah has waited her whole life for a happily ever after. As the only daughter of the leader of Potomac, she knows her duty is to find the perfect match, a partner who will help secure the future of her people. Now that day has finally come.

But after an excruciatingly public rejection from her closest childhood friend, Selah’s stepmother suggests an unthinkable solution:
435 pages
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Beholder, please sign up.

Start your review of The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
DNF @ pg. 217
Video review - https://youtu.be/zoBNGM4nViQ?t=408

I’m sorry I’ve been DNFing so much recently but I’m also not sorry because I also have way too many books I really want to read to waste my time. To sum up why I DNFed: nothing happened.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
THE ODYSSEY MEETS CINDERELLA. (or, Once Upon a Time meets the Bachelorette)

Hello 911, I'd like to report a premise that's specifically targeting my money
Emily May
Nov 16, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I will not...

*Adds to TBR*

Seriously, though. Odyssey retelling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I really enjoyed this!

The Beholder is an enchanting read, full of myths and folklore. The premise drew me in quickly. Basically, we have Selah, who is the Seneshal-elect of Potomac (meaning she'll be placed in charge one day). Potomac (from what I gather) is an island somewhere between the coast of England and New York. In order to rule, Selah must marry, but when she proposes to the boy she loves, well ... let's just say it doesn't go as she suspects. So, scrambling to fix things, her
Angelica
Ok, but first of all, can we appreciate this book's cover? Take a moment to scroll back up to it, I'll wait here. Did you see it? Were you impressed? Yes? Good, because I was, and still am, hella impressed by that beautiful cover.

Now let's move on to this review.

Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting Anna Bright at a Stephanie Garber book signing in Washington D.C. She seemed nice and was super excited about her upcoming novel and it made me super excited about it as well. So, you can only
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Buckle up, folks. This isn’t going to be a review.

This is going to be a rant.

Let me start with my biggest issue. They seem to have taken it off the blurb now, but this book was marketed as an Odyssey retelling. It is NOT an Odyssey retelling. It has as much in common with The Odyssey as Harry Potter does.

And, here is the key, frustrating thing: HAVING A CHARACTER CALLED HOMER WHO APPEARS FOR TWO SECONDS DOES NOT MAKE YOUR BOOK AN
Umairah | Sereadipity
It's important for people to know exactly what they're getting into, so to avoid confusion: this book is not a retelling of a specific story. Rather, it incorporates many myths and fairy tales into the storyline. Also, it is most certainly not a retelling of The Odyssey- the characters travel on a ship to far away lands and there's a person called Homer but the similarities end there.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing: 4/5

The Beholder was an alternate history novel, set in a world slightly similar
Candace Robinson
Me: Never judge a book by its cover!
Me: I totally just did and want it now!

Seriously when I saw this cover, I knew I had to have it! Then I read the blurb and was like, ohhhh I have to have it even more! I mean, The Odyssey meets Cinderella? Heck to the freaking yeah!

Enjoyed the story here! The writing sucked me right in and I couldn't let go. Selah was a great character when it came to speaking up and being strong, doing what she believed in. Loved that! Now, when it came to boys she was a
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
1. "fjords" is one of my #1 synopsis buzzwords

2. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS FREAKING COVER, MY GODS
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Gorgeous book!!!

This was such a lovely retelling mash-up of different fairy tales and myths into one! My first to read one like this and I did not know it could be done. But it was and it worked so well!

YA readers and fairy tale lovers don't let this one slip by, it is too enchanting of a read to be missed! And how about that cover? Simply stunning.

Selah wants to give a budding love interest a beautiful public proposal but is turned down and humiliated. Being of marriable age, she is sent to
Anna Bright
Nov 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
i loved writing this book, and i love its characters. i hope you have as much fun reading as i had writing. <3
Sh3lly
Review also found at:

Out now! Gorgeous cover alert!

I super liked this muchly. It was just a lot of romantic fun and fast-paced reading. It’s a bit of a fairy tale re-telling. Selah is “seneschal-elect” of her country and will inherit the title after her father. She is eighteen, a bookworm, naive, a loner, and knows nothing about the world around her.

Well, something huge happens and her world is shattered, destroyed, eyes opened, etc. etc. She is forced to
Lea (drumsofautumn)

The Beholder promises a romantic sea adventure à la The Selection, which it sadly only delivers when it comes to the negatives like bad world building.

“I have seen how we look side by side and it has changed how I imagine my life. With you, I see a wider world.”

This was the most confusing world building I have ever read in my entire life. It was some alternate universe of the world or rather Europe.. I guess? But I didn't really understand what the point of it was. There's England,
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

"I tried not to wobble, thankful that a thick layer of wool lay between my unshaved knees and his palms."

Yeah I know right? Wool leggings are perfect to hide hairy legs and we're not always in the mood to shave.
Okay, back to the review.

The Beholder is NOT a retelling of the Odyssey , so just because there was a guy named Homer and a ship, this was clearly a mistake in marketing. There are references to
Jodi Meadows
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love falling in love with fictional characters, you're going to love this book.
may ❀
I WANTED TO LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH :((((((

okay it wasn't BAD and i would totally recommend this book if you're looking for a ~*bachelorette*~ type of plot with lots court politics

but i found this book to be confusing, poorly explained, and quite meandering and that's what made it hard to get through

HOWEVER, the second half of the book sneaked up on me and i honestly fell in love with torden and i am ready to FIGHT for that boy (though still time to change my mind so we shall SEE )

idk if it's
Stephanie Nicholas
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What did I just read? I'm not sure how to categorize it. Hmmm. This book would have been five stars had it not strayed course at the very end and become what exactly? Political, I suppose.

This is the story of a young Seneschal-elect of Potomac who is promised to marry a young man from her Homeland. When she is slighted by him for reasons unknown, she is ordered within one day to board The Beholder and sail to countries such as England and Norge to find a suitable husband. The main portion of the
Tucker
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Has anyone else been here since last spring? I loved going along with Anna on her journey. I remember when this book had two reviews and no title or cover. I feel like a proud mother! Happy Book Birthday to The Beholder and Anna Bright!
Maggie

I didn't love this... the all, a girl sent away to find suitors was not my thing.
I didn't care for the main character (view spoiler) and for me, there was not much plot.
The end intrigued me but I just don't know if it is enough to make me read the second book.
♠️ TABI ♠️
'No mortal wounds, perhaps, but the scars these boys had left me would remain.'

description

TDL: if Selah was political first and a hopeful romantic second, the plot wouldn't have been as oddly entrancing from all the boys she falls after only to realize, whoops, she fell too fast. But help I fell for them too while reading so now I'm in the same pickle because gosh darn it all they're all so charming??

But the Thor/Loki vibes of Torden and Alexsei were the best. But the soft-hearted guard in disguise
Samidha Kalia
*Notes: An advanced copy of the book was provided in exchange of an honest review. This is an ARC, so quotes are subject to change. I would like to thank @HaperCollinsCa for the copy.*

Sigh, this is going to be tough.

Just to start, do not be deceived by the blurb and think this is an Odyssey retelling. It is not. Let it be known that this book has nothing in common with the legendary Odyssey, unless a ship, a royal heir, and the sea are your words to describe it.

The novel starts

Sara
I’m almost 100% that this is the (view spoiler). And I’m super excited for it.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, duty, betrayal, politics, survival.

Got this in May's Fairyloot box, reading for the readalong.

Book Review: The Beholder by Anna Bright

The cover reminds me of the intro for Black Sails.

I'm struggling to review The Beholder - it's a book I enjoyed immensely and struggled to put down, but at the same time I can't quite put my finger on why I loved it.

First off, this book is beautifully written. Every so often there was a line that would stop me reading, because I had to read it
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning, sweeping tale that combines elements of beloved classics and yet is somehow entirely original. A unique and unforgettable fairytale.
Alaina
Man, I do love retellings!

The Beholder was so freaking good guys! I don't know why it took me forever and a day to dive into it BUT I am so happy that I did. In it, you will meet Selah. She is basically an awesome and amazing character to fall in love with. She doesn't just sit around and wait for prince charming to come to her. Nope, she's going out into the world to find his ass.

Throughout this book, her journey was just so intriguing. I couldn't put this book down once I officially got into
Mellie Antoinette
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
While this book got better with each page, the pacing was a little GoT S8! We kept reaching our conclusions too soon without enough background to buy into the character development or plot twist. That being said, it was a quick, enjoyable summer read!
Scrill
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC received from Edelweiss for a fair review.

F me, I freaking loved it. FRTC.
Isabella
They Odyssey meets Cinderella and Pirates of the Caribbean and political schemes and backstabbing and undercover rebellions and and and
Beks | The Little Fiction Fox
Series Ratings:
1) The Beholder

My Thoughts:
I went into this book expecting a high fantasy story, but instead I found myself confused as hell about the setting and the time period. Basically, this book is set in our world, but with fictional countries and a fictional history. It was a bit weird and jarring, truth be told, and a map would have been so helpful.

Judging from the description, I kind of expected this debut to be similar to The Selection, and in some ways, it was. This books tells the
Jelke
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, 2-stars

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • Romanov
  • The Kingdom
I believe in woods, mountains, highways, cobblestones, roller coasters, dancing, concerts, cherry Pop Tarts, books, and magic.
When I'm not reading or writing on my couch, I'm dragging my husband off on an adventure, communing with Salem (my kitten/spiritual familiar), or causing trouble at One More Page Books, where I work.

**note: i don't accept GR friends anymore, because of amazon review policy

The Beholder (2 books)
  • The Boundless (The Beholder, #2)
“You will always be the sun to me. Bright and beautiful and the warmest thing in my world.” 5 likes
“He'd left me burning brighter than the candles.

Now I just felt burned.”