Start by marking “The Beholder” as Want to Read:
The Beholder

The Beholder

(The Beholder #1)

Selah has waited her whole life for a happily ever after. As the only daughter of the leader of Potomac, she knows her duty is to find the perfect match, a partner who will help secure the future of her people. Now that day has finally come.

But after an excruciatingly public rejection from her closest childhood friend, Selah’s stepmother suggests an unthinkable solution: S
435 pages
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Beholder, please sign up.
Hilke Yes!
I personally loved this book and the romance in it!

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
DNF @ pg. 217
Video review - https://youtu.be/zoBNGM4nViQ?t=408

I’m sorry I’ve been DNFing so much recently but I’m also not sorry because I also have way too many books I really want to read to waste my time. To sum up why I DNFed: nothing happened.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
THE ODYSSEY MEETS CINDERELLA. (or, Once Upon a Time meets the Bachelorette)

Hello 911, I'd like to report a premise that's specifically targeting my money
Emily May
Nov 16, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I will not...

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
*Adds to TBR*

Seriously, though. Odyssey retelling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I really enjoyed this!

The Beholder is an enchanting read, full of myths and folklore. The premise drew me in quickly. Basically, we have Selah, who is the Seneshal-elect of Potomac (meaning she'll be placed in charge one day). Potomac (from what I gather) is an island somewhere between the coast of England and New York. In order to rule, Selah must marry, but when she proposes to the boy she loves, well ... let's just say it doesn't go as she suspects. So, scrambling to fix things, her stepmoth
Angelica
Ok, but first of all, can we appreciate this book's cover? Take a moment to scroll back up to it, I'll wait here. Did you see it? Were you impressed? Yes? Good, because I was, and still am, hella impressed by that beautiful cover.

Now let's move on to this review.

Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting Anna Bright at a Stephanie Garber book signing in Washington D.C. She seemed nice and was super excited about her upcoming novel and it made me super excited about it as well. So, you can only ima
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Buckle up, folks. This isn’t going to be a review.

This is going to be a rant.

Let me start with my biggest issue. They seem to have taken it off the blurb now, but this book was marketed as an Odyssey retelling. It is NOT an Odyssey retelling. It has as much in common with The Odyssey as Harry Potter does.

And, here is the key, frustrating thing: HAVING A CHARACTER CALLED HOMER WHO APPEARS FOR TWO SECONDS 🔴DOES NOT🔴 MAKE YOUR BOOK AN OD
Umairah | Sereadipity
It's important for people to know exactly what they're getting into, so to avoid confusion: this book is not a retelling of a specific story. Rather, it incorporates many myths and fairy tales into the storyline. Also, it is most certainly not a retelling of The Odyssey- the characters travel on a ship to far away lands and there's a person called Homer but the similarities end there.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing: 4/5

The Beholder was an alternate history novel, set in a world slightly similar
Candace Robinson
Me: Never judge a book by its cover!
Me: I totally just did and want it now!

Seriously when I saw this cover, I knew I had to have it! Then I read the blurb and was like, ohhhh I have to have it even more! I mean, The Odyssey meets Cinderella? Heck to the freaking yeah!

Enjoyed the story here! The writing sucked me right in and I couldn't let go. Selah was a great character when it came to speaking up and being strong, doing what she believed in. Loved that! Now, when it came to boys she was a litt
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
1. "fjords" is one of my #1 synopsis buzzwords

2. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS FREAKING COVER, MY GODS
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
Review also found at:

Out now! Gorgeous cover alert!

I super liked this muchly. It was just a lot of romantic fun and fast-paced reading. It’s a bit of a fairy tale re-telling. Selah is “seneschal-elect” of her country and will inherit the title after her father. She is eighteen, a bookworm, naive, a loner, and knows nothing about the world around her.

Well, something huge happens and her world is shattered, destroyed, eyes opened, etc. etc. She is forced to
Anna Bright
Nov 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
i loved writing this book, and i love its characters. i hope you have as much fun reading as i had writing. <3
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

"I tried not to wobble, thankful that a thick layer of wool lay between my unshaved knees and his palms."

Yeah I know right? Wool leggings are perfect to hide hairy legs and we're not always in the mood to shave.
Okay, back to the review.

The Beholder is NOT a retelling of the Odyssey , so just because there was a guy named Homer and a ship, this was clearly a mistake in marketing. There are references to doz
Lea (drumsofautumn)

The Beholder promises a romantic sea adventure à la The Selection, which it sadly only delivers when it comes to the negatives like bad world building.

“I have seen how we look side by side and it has changed how I imagine my life. With you, I see a wider world.”

This was the most confusing world building I have ever read in my entire life. It was some alternate universe of the world or rather Europe.. I guess? But I didn't really understand what the point of it was. There's England, apparentl
Jodi Meadows
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love falling in love with fictional characters, you're going to love this book.
Tucker
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Has anyone else been here since last spring? I loved going along with Anna on her journey. I remember when this book had two reviews and no title or cover. I feel like a proud mother! Happy Book Birthday to The Beholder and Anna Bright!
Sara
I’m almost 100% that this is the (view spoiler). And I’m super excited for it.
Samidha Kalia
*Notes: An advanced copy of the book was provided in exchange of an honest review. This is an ARC, so quotes are subject to change. I would like to thank @HaperCollinsCa for the copy.*

🌟🌟

Sigh, this is going to be tough.

Just to start, do not be deceived by the blurb and think this is an Odyssey retelling. It is not. Let it be known that this book has nothing in common with the legendary Odyssey, unless a ship, a royal heir, and the sea are your words to describe it.

The novel starts wi

Scrill
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC received from Edelweiss for a fair review.

F me, I freaking loved it. FRTC.
Isabella
They Odyssey meets Cinderella and Pirates of the Caribbean and political schemes and backstabbing and undercover rebellions and and and
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning, sweeping tale that combines elements of beloved classics and yet is somehow entirely original. A unique and unforgettable fairytale.
r e b e c c a ⚡
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Series Ratings:
1) The Beholder ★★★★☆

My Thoughts:
I went into this book expecting a high fantasy story, but instead I found myself confused as hell about the setting and the time period. Basically, this book is set in our world, but with fictional countries and a fictional history. It was a bit weird and jarring, truth be told, and a map would have been so helpful.

Judging from the description, I kind of expected this debut to be similar to The Selection, and in some ways, it was. This books tells
enqi ☁️✨ kell maresh lovesite
IMSORRY BUT THE COVER
Austine (NovelKnight)
This book was provided by the publisher (via Edelweiss). This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I should be clear that the primary reason I was interested in The Beholder (beyond the beautiful cover) was that I saw it marketed as a re-telling of The Odyssey. Unfortunately the closest resemblance I found was a character named Homer. . . and that's about it. I ALMOST made it halfway through the book before I completely gave up because I actually dreaded picking
Amanda
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

This book was so much better than I had expected it to be. The cover made me think that the entire book took place on a ship, but in reality very little of it did. The Beholder is about Selah traveling to find a suitor among several princes deemed suitable. The book moves fast and was compulsively readable, I hardly set it down and finished it in less than 24 hours. I see how it could be compared to The Selection with the s
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

Oh, this was such an unexpected gem for me! Sure, I assumed I'd enjoy it, but the level of unputdownability (that is now a word, because I said so) was off the charts. That said, it isn't perfect. There are issues that may hinder some readers' experiences, which I feel it's only fair to mention, even though I loved it and am basically salivating waiting for the next installment.

What
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, duty, betrayal, politics, survival.

Got this in May's Fairyloot box, reading for the readalong.

Book Review: The Beholder by Anna Bright

The cover reminds me of the intro for Black Sails.

I'm struggling to review The Beholder - it's a book I enjoyed immensely and struggled to put down, but at the same time I can't quite put my finger on why I loved it.

First off, this book is beautifully written. Every so often there was a line that would stop me reading, because I had to read it ove
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4 How many love interests can a girl have Stars****

Yes, in the beginning, I was really annoyed with Selah's character. I found her whiny and childish for being 18 years old and getting ready to get married. Then I have to question how easy it was for her to continue to fall in love during a 2 week span more one right after the other.

I do love how the author melds different fairy tales and epic adventures into the story though and looking past my 2 problems with the story, I did enjoy the boo
Justine
DNFed at 264 pages.

I'll write a proper review at some point, but here are some of my thoughts:

-This book had so much potential, and I think that missed potential is ultimately the most disappointing this about The Beholder. A story about a girl who must marry in order to lead her people? Who must go on a journey to meet pre-approved princes and win someone's hand? Great! Give me political intrigue, give me a clever heroine who outthinks her foes, give me difficult choices and high risks! We got
Ashlee » Library In The Country
THE COVER IS BEAUTIFUL.
This book looks amazing.
beth ✨
Rating 3/3.5 stars

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Incendiary
  • We Rule the Night
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl
I believe in woods, mountains, highways, cobblestones, roller coasters, dancing, concerts, cherry Pop Tarts, books, and magic.
When I'm not reading or writing on my couch, I'm dragging my husband off on an adventure, communing with Salem (my kitten/spiritual familiar), or causing trouble at One More Page Books, where I work.

**note: i don't accept GR friends anymore, because of amazon review policy

The Beholder (2 books)
  • The Boundless (The Beholder, #2)
“He'd left me burning brighter than the candles.

Now I just felt burned.”
3 likes
“My heart was a burning star, singeing my lungs, setting fire to my nerves.

Was it my fault, really, that my chest couldn't hold it?”
2 likes