Start by marking “The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)

The Beholder

(The Beholder #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  4,074 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
Selah has waited her whole life for a happily ever after. As the only daughter of the leader of Potomac, she knows her duty is to find the perfect match, a partner who will help secure the future of her people. Now that day has finally come.

But after an excruciatingly public rejection from her closest childhood friend, Selah’s stepmother suggests an unthinkable solution: S
435 pages
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Beholder, please sign up.
Hilke Yes!
I personally loved this book and the romance in it!…more
I personally loved this book and the romance in it!(less)

·  4,074 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

Start your review of The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
DNF @ pg. 217
Video review - https://youtu.be/zoBNGM4nViQ?t=408

I’m sorry I’ve been DNFing so much recently but I’m also not sorry because I also have way too many books I really want to read to waste my time. To sum up why I DNFed: nothing happened.
Emily May
Nov 16, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I will not...

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
*Adds to TBR*

Seriously, though. Odyssey retelling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Angelica
Ok, but first of all, can we appreciate this book's cover? Take a moment to scroll back up to it, I'll wait here. Did you see it? Were you impressed? Yes? Good, because I was, and still am, hella impressed by that beautiful cover.

Now let's move on to this review.

Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting Anna Bright at a Stephanie Garber book signing in Washington D.C. She seemed nice and was super excited about her upcoming novel and it made me super excited about it as well. So, you can only ima
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Buckle up, folks. This isn’t going to be a review.

This is going to be a rant.

Let me start with my biggest issue. They seem to have taken it off the blurb now, but this book was marketed as an Odyssey retelling. It is NOT an Odyssey retelling. It has as much in common with The Odyssey as Harry Potter does.

And, here is the key, frustrating thing: HAVING A CHARACTER CALLED HOMER WHO APPEARS FOR TWO SECONDS 🔴DOES NOT🔴 MAKE YOUR BOOK A
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I really enjoyed this!

The Beholder is an enchanting read, full of myths and folklore. The premise drew me in quickly. Basically, we have Selah, who is the Seneshal-elect of Potomac (meaning she'll be placed in charge one day). Potomac (from what I gather) is an island somewhere between the coast of England and New York. In order to rule, Selah must marry, but when she proposes to the boy she loves, well ... let's just say it doesn't go as she suspects. So, scrambling to fix things, her stepmoth
Umairah | Sereadipity
It's important for people to know exactly what they're getting into, so to avoid confusion: this book is not a retelling of a specific story. Rather, it incorporates many myths and fairy tales into the storyline. Also, it is most certainly not a retelling of The Odyssey- the characters travel on a ship to far away lands and there's a person called Homer but the similarities end there.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing: 4/5

The Beholder was an alternate history novel, set in a world slightly similar
Candace Robinson
Me: Never judge a book by its cover!
Me: I totally just did and want it now!

Seriously when I saw this cover, I knew I had to have it! Then I read the blurb and was like, ohhhh I have to have it even more! I mean, The Odyssey meets Cinderella? Heck to the freaking yeah!

Enjoyed the story here! The writing sucked me right in and I couldn't let go. Selah was a great character when it came to speaking up and being strong, doing what she believed in. Loved that! Now, when it came to boys she was a litt
Anna Bright
Nov 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
i loved writing this book, and i love its characters. i hope you have as much fun reading as i had writing. <3 ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
1. "fjords" is one of my #1 synopsis buzzwords

2. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS FREAKING COVER, MY GODS
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Gorgeous book!!!

This was such a lovely retelling mash-up of different fairy tales and myths into one! My first to read one like this and I did not know it could be done. But it was and it worked so well!

YA readers and fairy tale lovers don't let this one slip by, it is too enchanting of a read to be missed! And how about that cover? Simply stunning.

Selah wants to give a budding love interest a beautiful public proposal but is turned down and humiliated. Being of marriable age, she is sent to f
Lea (drumsofautumn)

The Beholder promises a romantic sea adventure à la The Selection, which it sadly only delivers when it comes to the negatives like bad world building.

“I have seen how we look side by side and it has changed how I imagine my life. With you, I see a wider world.”

This was the most confusing world building I have ever read in my entire life. It was some alternate universe of the world or rather Europe.. I guess? But I didn't really understand what the point of it was. There's England, a
ֆɦɛʟʟʏ ȶɦɛ քǟȶʀօռ ֆǟɨռȶ օʄ ƈʊʀʍʊɖɢɛօռʟʏ ƈʀօռɛֆ
Review also found at:

Out now! Gorgeous cover alert!

I super liked this muchly. It was just a lot of romantic fun and fast-paced reading. It’s a bit of a fairy tale re-telling. Selah is “seneschal-elect” of her country and will inherit the title after her father. She is eighteen, a bookworm, naive, a loner, and knows nothing about the world around her.

Well, something huge happens and her world is shattered, destroyed, eyes opened, etc. etc. She is forced to
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

"I tried not to wobble, thankful that a thick layer of wool lay between my unshaved knees and his palms."

Yeah I know right? Wool leggings are perfect to hide hairy legs and we're not always in the mood to shave.
Okay, back to the review.

The Beholder is NOT a retelling of the Odyssey , so just because there was a guy named Homer and a ship, this was clearly a mistake in marketing. There are references to d
Jodi Meadows
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love falling in love with fictional characters, you're going to love this book.
Caylynn
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-release
3.75/5 stars. Reread review: Looking back at my original review after rereading this confounding book, I realize I was a tad bit harsh. It was much easier to enjoy this book with the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge of how certain twists play out and how the end comes to light. I was still irritated at certain characters and their back and forth attitude-Anya and Lang, mostly-but I don't dislike Selah half as much as I did last time, and I'm tentatively excited to see whether the backbone ...more
may ❀
I WANTED TO LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH :((((((

okay it wasn't BAD and i would totally recommend this book if you're looking for a ~*bachelorette*~ type of plot with lots court politics

but i found this book to be confusing, poorly explained, and quite meandering and that's what made it hard to get through

HOWEVER, the second half of the book sneaked up on me and i honestly fell in love with torden and i am ready to FIGHT for that boy (though still time to change my mind so we shall SEE 👀)

idk if it's go
Stephanie Nicholas
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What did I just read? I'm not sure how to categorize it. Hmmm. This book would have been five stars had it not strayed course at the very end and become what exactly? Political, I suppose.

This is the story of a young Seneschal-elect of Potomac who is promised to marry a young man from her Homeland. When she is slighted by him for reasons unknown, she is ordered within one day to board The Beholder and sail to countries such as England and Norge to find a suitable husband. The main portion of the
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I'm so excited for this one

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Emily Duncan
a DELIGHT
Maggie

I didn't love this... the all, a girl sent away to find suitors was not my thing.
I didn't care for the main character (view spoiler) and for me, there was not much plot.
The end intrigued me but I just don't know if it is enough to make me read the second book.
Samidha; समिधा
*Notes: An advanced copy of the book was provided in exchange of an honest review. This is an ARC, so quotes are subject to change. I would like to thank @HaperCollinsCa for the copy.*

🌟🌟

Sigh, this is going to be tough.

Just to start, do not be deceived by the blurb and think this is an Odyssey retelling. It is not. Let it be known that this book has nothing in common with the legendary Odyssey, unless a ship, a royal heir, and th

Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
'No mortal wounds, perhaps, but the scars these boys had left me would remain.'

description

TDL: if Selah was political first and a hopeful romantic second, the plot wouldn't have been as oddly entrancing from all the boys she falls after only to realize, whoops, she fell too fast. But help I fell for them too while reading so now I'm in the same pickle because gosh darn it all they're all so charming??

But the Thor/Loki vibes of Torden and Alexsei were the best. But the soft-hearted guard in disguise
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, duty, betrayal, politics, survival.

Got this in May's Fairyloot box, reading for the readalong.

Book Beginnings: The Beholder by Anna Bright
Book Review: The Beholder by Anna Bright
Five Favourite Quotes from The Beholder by Anna Bright

The cover reminds me of the intro for Black Sails.

I'm struggling to review The Beholder - it's a book I enjoyed immensely and struggled to put down, but at the same time I can't quite put my finger on why I loved it.

First off, this book is beautifully
Alaina
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Man, I do love retellings!

The Beholder was so freaking good guys! I don't know why it took me forever and a day to dive into it BUT I am so happy that I did. In it, you will meet Selah. She is basically an awesome and amazing character to fall in love with. She doesn't just sit around and wait for prince charming to come to her. Nope, she's going out into the world to find his ass.

Throughout this book, her journey was just so intriguing. I couldn't put this book down once I officially got into
Rivka
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay so. There is zERO world building and I kind of need an explanation how New York and Asgard exist in the same world. Like I need history of this world. Is it the future? Alternative reality? There are radios but they travel by ships?

Main character is just naive? She legit falls in love with every guy she meets and trust them from second one.

We basically spent the whole book in two locations and it was just overly dramatic
Sara
I’m almost 100% that this is the (view spoiler). And I’m super excited for it. ...more
Scrill
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC received from Edelweiss for a fair review.

F me, I freaking loved it. FRTC.

Round 2, still love it.
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning, sweeping tale that combines elements of beloved classics and yet is somehow entirely original. A unique and unforgettable fairytale.
AJ
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
”You will always be the sun to me. Bright and beautiful and the warmest thing in my world.”

This book took me on a rollercoaster ride, and NOT in a good way. I will say that the world building in this book was beautiful and I enjoyed the names of just about every character in this story lol the author got very creative with the names IMO.

When I first started the book it was easy for me to get into it because of Selah’s rejection. I was so ready to see how she’d handle that and what the outcom
Isabella
They Odyssey meets Cinderella and Pirates of the Caribbean and political schemes and backstabbing and undercover rebellions and and and

• Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • To Best the Boys
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
I believe in woods, mountains, highways, cobblestones, roller coasters, dancing, concerts, cherry Pop Tarts, books, and magic.
When I'm not reading or writing on my couch, I'm dragging my husband off on an adventure, communing with Salem (my kitten/spiritual familiar), or causing trouble at One More Page Books, where I work.

**note: i don't accept GR friends anymore, because of amazon review policy

The Beholder (2 books)
  • The Boundless (The Beholder, #2)