Start by marking “Wallpaper” as Want to Read:
Wallpaper

Wallpaper

New from the creator of Skunk on a String comes Wallpaper, a wordless picture book in Thao Lam’s signature paper collage style. It tells the story of a young girl whose family moves into a new house. Outside, she can hear other kids playing, but she’s too shy to say hello. So she picks at the old wallpaper in her room―revealing an entryway to a fantastic imaginary adventur ...more
Published April 15th 2018 by Owlkids (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Wallpaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wallpaper

Lily
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
All that lady in The Yellow Wallpaper needed to do was say "hello" to new friends...
Kristina Jean Lareau
Nearly wordless. Colorful and imaginative rendered in detailed papercuts.
Amber Webb
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wallpaper was a beautiful wordless picture book about one little girl feeling sad and left out while the other children are playing outdoors. She discovers a little tear in the wallpaper in her room where a bird escapes from. As she peels back the layers of wallpaper, she discovers more adventures waiting for her from birds and rainforests to monsters, frogs, sheep and eventually friends. Courage erupts after her adventures and friendship making in the wallpaper.
It is a beautifully created idea
Cat
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This wordless picture book would make a fine learning tool for story telling with little ones and big ones! Very creative telling on how to make friends! Love the art work!
I received a free advance Kindle copy from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
J
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mostly wordless book with strong illustrations. Some interesting twists and turns in this story.
Asho
I read about this book on a list of books to help children deal with big emotions. The review mentioned how the girl in the book is very shy and the book traced her growth from too shy to speak to her new neighbors to, ultimately, being brave enough to wave hello. I heard the description and thought that it was something that very shy L definitely needed to read.
I will say that both of my kids prefer picture books with text to wordless picture books (this one is almost wordless). And L, of cour
Rebecca
In this nearly-wordless picture book, a young girl is too shy to speak to new neighbor kids and instead gets courage from an imaginary foray into her room's wallpaper (it's a fun and whimsical jaunt, nothing like The Yellow Wallpaper!). Thao Lam's cut-paper collages look enticingly 3D. This sentence from Publisher's Weekly made me especially want to read it: "Lam’s rich visual storytelling illuminates the way that children’s internal lives help them move through loss and anxiety."
Sandy Brehl
This book had me at hello, so to speak. I'm huge fan of wallpaper/printed papers, as well as collage. The endpaper hint at a turned-up corner revealing another world is another plus. Shyness is dealt with in many picture books, but this wordless exploration of an inner imaginative life serving to build confidence and curiosity feels fresh and effective to me. The encouragement for a shy audience to find themselves in the pages of this book makes it a must-have for every setting.
Nancy Kotkin
A little girl moves and faces the challenge of making new friends. Peeling back the many layers of wallpaper reveals whole worlds underneath that she didn't know were there. A wonderful story of bravery in new situations and looking beyond our assumptions. Marvelous paper-cut illustrations look three-dimensional.
Ryan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous wordless graphic novel. Yes, a graphic novel, with amazing paper cut graphics. It tells the story of the new girl in town how goes on a grand adventure through the wall paper in her room. It’s amazing. Pick it up, you and your kids won’t be disappointed.
Janet
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love the texture and colors of the collages contained in this book!
Peacegal
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! A stunning exploration of imagination with a classic, timeless feel. This book will remind adult readers of some of the favorites of their childhood.
Krystal
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
With vibrant illustrations, Thao Lam challenges readers to explore the depths of their imagination in considering what a young girl might feel while staring at wallpaper after a move.
Storywraps
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful wordless picture book is the epitome of talent - starring Thao Lam's signature paper collage style illustrations.

A shy young girl moves into a new home, and being new, doesn't know any of the kids in her neighbourhood. She can hear them chatting and playing outside her window but she is too shy and apprehensive to go outside and meet them.

She feels so lonely and sad. She retreats to her room and idly starts scratching away at her wallpaper. As the tear gets bigger she discovers
Brooklyn Cribdon (Kemp)
Wordless picturebooks should not be overlooked, and Lam's "Wallpaper" is no exception. Flowing through the pages of this book takes readers on an emotional journey of how a young girl finds a sense of courage. As someone who is an ultimate introvert and occasionally feels the plight of social anxiety, I felt such kinship to our protagonist. The young girl sees other kids playing in a tree house outside her bedroom window, but quickly hides when they spot her. In her shyness, the girl begins to p ...more
Becky B
A little girl who has just moved in is eyeing kids next door having fun but is too scared to go over there. She notices a part of the wall paper is peeling back and peeks underneath it…only to find a strange new world where she learns that strangers may not be scary monsters but future friends just waiting for you to say hello.

This book is almost entirely wordless. There are a few sound words, and one hello. That’s it. The rest of the story is told through Lam’s brilliant and imaginative collage
Tasha
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This wordless picture book tells the story of a little girl who moves to a new town. As the is unpacking her boxes, she hears talking outside her window and looks out to see three children in a treehouse next door. When they spot her, they wave but she ducks out of sight, shy to meet them. As she sits under her window, a small yellow bird made of wallpaper emerges from a tear in the room’s wallpaper. It flies out the window and the little girl peels more of the paper away and a flock of yellow b ...more
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Wallpaper is a wordless story that's beautifully illustrated with paper collage art. It tells the tale of a young girl who has just moved into a new house, and is nervous about meeting the new children next door. Instead, she takes a journey into the wallpaper where she is chased by an odd yellow creature through several layers of amusingly decorated wallpaper before she realizes the monster just needs a friend.

Her friendship with the imaginary creature helps give her the courage to say hello t
Bridgette
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: egalley
I'm a sucker for a gorgeous wordless picture book.

The unnamed protagonist has just moved into a new home with her family and is nervous to make friends. While hiding from kids in a tree house she can see from her window, she notices a tear in the wallpaper and tugs on it and out pops out a yellow bird! From there, layers and payers of wallpaper are torn away and new worlds are visited, new friends made, but after she gets, she can't get back into the wallpaper world. Instead, she ventures outsi
Laurelei
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our main character, a little girl, finds it too hard to talk to the kids she hears playing outside. She might be shy or have social anxiety, but either way, she finds it much easier to stay inside by herself . . . until she sees something fantastic. Under her wallpaper are layers of worlds where she can be free and play! When a monster comes after her, she learns an important lesson about courage.
The art is splendid -- made of vivid collages that burst with color. There aren’t many words in this
Ina
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book are awesome. I found myself staring and savoring the magical blend of color and images. In spite of being nearly wordless, this book manages to capture perfectly how hard it is for a child to move to a new home. The main character, a young girl, sits miserably among moving boxes and longs to go over a meet a group of girls her age next door; she is just too shy and unsure what to say. That is, until she takes a magical adventure into the wallpaper in her new room. ...more
Nancy
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a nicely illustrated talk-about-the-pictures book. I have yet to try it out on my grandchildren, but when my children were young, a grew to dread certain books where I had to read the exact same words over and over. This could be a nice break. The adult must interact with a young child to discuss what they think is happening. I will see my 7 year old granddaughter in a few days and check it out with her. I suspect it is more appropriate for the other ones who are 3 and 5 but live in anot ...more
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
A shy girl moves into a new home, but is too shy to say hello to the children across the street. Instead, she peels back a layer of wallpaper and finds a world of imagination, mystery and the courage to try something new.

Gorgeous cut paper illustrations, and a great message to kids that when moving to a new, unfamiliar place it's okay to not want to go out immediately and make friends. Sometimes you need to build up courage and be alone first.

I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest revi
Kelsey
Age: Preschool+
Friendship: Moving and making new friends

While hiding from her new next door neighbors, a young girl escapes into the folds of her wallpaper only to meet a monster that ends up chasing her around. When the monster breaks down and cries, the girl approaches the monster to become friends--and, afterwards, finds the courage to approach her next door neighbors.
Jo Oehrlein
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Almost wordless -- there's a "Hello", a "ribbit", a "stomp", and some "blah-blah-blah"s.

The illustrations are cut paper collage.

It's about a girl who just moved to town. She's too shy to talk to the other kids she sees. After exploring the worlds she finds behind the wallpaper (and meeting a monster who becomes a friend), she gains the courage to talk to the neighborhood friends.
jacky
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun illustrations that convey a strong message through just pictures. But, I had just read "The Yellow Wallpaper" with my students the same week I took this out and that tainted the whole thing for me. Especially that there is a fair amount of yellow and entering and exiting the wallpaper. Obviously, this is a much happier story!
Engel Dreizehn
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC COPY...Very beautiful paper cute/college style of illustrations depicting a girl who just moved in(and maybe new to country) who is shy about meeting new kids (their speech sounds like foreign bleh bleh to her), peels her wallpaper to reveal new worlds while confronting her "fear" monster at the same time. I found it to be a beautiful read.
Eliot Reads
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Made with paper collage images, this is an almost wordless book about a shy girl who peels the wallpaper in her room and imagines herself traveling through the different worlds she creates in each old wallpaper layer. What she thinks is a monster in a jungle turns out to be a lonely 3-eyed giant looking for a friend, which gives her the courage to go outside and play with new friends.
To have friends, one must be friendly!

A shy girl who hides from potential friends peels away the wallpaper in her room to discover layers of a fantasy world, and a monster who is chasing her throughout! When she stops and realizes that the monster is lonely, she says hello and makes friends- an application she then takes to the real world.
Phyll
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I honestly skimmed this while browsing the shelves, but when i sat down and read this book, which has maybe three unique words, I was really touched! Thematically it reminds me of Fuchsia Fierce by Jones. The art is absolutely gorgeous. The only thing that would've been nice is if the group of friends were a lil more diverse shrugemoticon. Just my onion! But yes, very good.
  • Imagine!
  • Draw the Line
  • Little Fox in the Forest
  • Waltz of the Snowflakes
  • Found
Thao Lam has been creating pictures for as long as she can remember. For her, drawing has always felt as natural as breathing. She has an insatiable love for coloured and textured papers, which she uses to create her exuberant collages.

Passionate about children’s books, Thao is especially interested in visual storytelling. She draws inspiration from the stories she hears, from the beauty in everyd