Start by marking “Teachings of a Shaman” as Want to Read:
Teachings of a Shaman

Teachings of a Shaman

Teachings of a Shaman is a heartwarming story about a troubled youth who's taken in and nurtured back to health by an elderly Navajo medicine-man; it’s a coming-of-age story chock-full of humor, adventure, and magical realism.

When Dwayne Rader gets caught stealing to support his heroin habit, a judge mandates he complete a drug treatment program in Arizona, but on his seco
Paperback, First, 358 pages
Published July 13th 2018 by Halcyon Press

To ask other readers questions about Teachings of a Shaman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings of a Shaman

Dax Munro
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘A thought provoking and inspiring read. A story of true determination, camaraderie, and self sacrifice.’

Teachings of a Shaman, by Corey Stultz is a novel chronicling the life of Dwayne, a man with a good, honest heart that sadly became addicted to Heroine.

In an attempt to come clean, for both his fiancée, in-laws, and himself, Dwayne (at the request of a court judge) enters into a specialist rehabilitation programme, where he is to spend nine months without the influence of drugs.

I enjoyed this
Julia Badger
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book takes it’s readers on an emotional journey through the eyes of Dwayne as he experiences his lowest moments all the way through to his highest moments. Through the pages of his book, the author encourages us to leave our trials and tribulations to the powers that Be while understanding that We will be provided for and protected on our own amazing journey called life. We are also encouraged to let go of the things we can not change from our past and to move forward towards a better tomor ...more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
3 1/2 Stars

I won a copy of Teachings of a Shaman through the Goodreads Giveaways program. There’s no requirement for me to leave a review, but I am choosing to do so.

Teachings of a Shaman is one of seven books that Corey Stultz wrote while in prison. Yes, you read that right. He used his real life experiences as an influence for this novel, and likely the others as well. I have to respect somebody that used books as a way of helping them get their life back in order.
So far Teaching of a Sham
Jessica Brown
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Confidence

Teachings of a Shaman is about a heartfelt, giggle worthy story about a young man named Dwayne Rade, better known as Running Bird, overcome his drug habits and learning the hard way about the consequences he faces along the way. From stealing to support his habit to watching his friends drop dead around him he only has one friend left and that's Mitch. But when Mitch gets persistent upon trying to take matters into his own hands Dwayne faces the real life threatening consequence of jai
Bruce Thomas
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Values-based Read

This book provides an excellent progression of a man from the edge of a life mired in drugs and probable death to one of redemption and ultimate self-sacrifice. The spiritual themes are powerful but not preachy. The narrative reads like a high-level young adult novel except for spots where the language gets a bit gritty and uncomfortable. But much of the story draws on Mr. Stultz's experiences, so one can expect that the world of drugs is filled with much more offensive language
Bigbooksandhottea
Hillary
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, owned-books
As a full work, I really enjoyed this story. At the end, I was in tears because it was very moving. It definitely had bouts of incredible description.

I did have a few issues with its grammar in some cases, and for the majority of the story, I was told what was happening instead of having described to me out of dialogue. After a while that became pretty tedious. I feel like the whole story needed better tightening up.

But honestly, I did really enjoy it, and I love stories that have magic realism.
Mary Ratcliffe-Pezzetti
Teaching of a Shaman is the first book my Corey Stultz to be published. Stultz uses some of his own personal experiences to create characters in this book. The main character Dwayne is a young man dealing with some difficult issues a drug addiction, physical abuse and neglect. Throughout his coming of age journey obstacles and opportunities are put in his path. The choices he makes will determine the rest of his life. There is spirituality in this book and what kind of person he wants to become ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Loved it!

Wow...what a shocker to me... This book was suprisingly unexpected and really good! I enjoyed the style of writing. The story line was so smooth and each character was so unique and i felt like i knew thebtype of people they were just by the very detailed and descriptive way the author had each character speak. I could not put this book down and had so many "wow" moments & then tears, happy tears, sad tears, tears with laughter. I loved this story and definitely recommend it to
Vickie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nuggets of gold

I bought this book because I felt for the author's struggle and applauded his triumph against addiction. I never thought it would hold so much truth and reveal so much spirit. But it did.

I found the story solid, the writing strong albeit a bit juvenile but when you dig deeper you realise it reflected the personality of the protagonists. In the end, the simplicity of love won out and a life bent on destruction became the soil of growth for a new and different life.

I enjoyed this b
Marie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aniko Nagyne vig
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a fairytale story, but very interesting and eye-opening details and questions about addiction related issues. The book felt like having two completely different parts, the realistic everyday life of an addict and the fairytale like shaman part, with the bittersweet ending. I liked the writing style, but overall I feel odd about not being able to categorize it. This is the first book I won as a free giveaway.
Kathy Seymour
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story the author really shared the characters full emotions, The beginning is rough with a really troubled young man who wants to change and can't. It tells of love not just romantic but how a love of someone can change one. It demonstrates how trust in one person can make a huge difference in a life. Then we move to the redemption of his soul by an old man and his caring ways, and the willingness to learn. This book grabs you and holds you until the end.
Joan Richards
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-shelf
This book tells of the journey of a struggling man dealing with his physical addiction to heroin. While ordered by the court to a drug treatment program in Arizona, Dwayne instead experiences spiritual revelations and personal growth under the guidance and help of a Navajo shaman. Indeed, losing his memory, becoming lost, and then left-behind in the desert may be the best thing that could have happened to Dwayne! Wonderful story.
Michele
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Let me start by saying a book has to knock my socks off to nbn get 5 stars. That said, this was a good book. I got a little confused at one point thinking the main character was one person but it was another. I think that was just me though. This was a quick easy read.
I received this book as part of a giveaway in Goodreads.
Mary
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. I enjoyed it altho it was easy to guess the ending A good summer read.
Tena
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this Kindle version in a GOODREADS giveaway.
Barbara Fraser
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written. Very enjoyable to read
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program.

A nice story about the redemptive and healing power that comes from having people who believe in you.
TRENA LAMORE
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
😲😞

Unfortunately I couldn't even finish this book because it seems like a 10 year old wrote this, and the native American sounds so outlandish....no thanks..not for me!
Mary
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thought provoking yet interesting read
Betty
Jan 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Should I add a DRUG WARNING??? 1 1 Jan 09, 2019 02:00PM
Download for FREE from Amazon NOW thru 12/2 1 1 Nov 28, 2018 12:15PM
Corey Stultz was a high-functioning alcoholic for twenty-five years. After his fifth DWI conviction, he served 21 months in jail at the Carroll County Detention Center, Westminster, MD.

It was during this time – from behind bars – that he wrote not one… not two… but seven novels! As a prisoner, Stultz did not have access to metal utensils nonetheless computers, so he was forced to scribe each book