Start by marking “Holding Up the Earth” as Want to Read:
Holding Up the Earth

Holding Up the Earth

It has been eight years since Hope’s mom died in a car accident. Eight years of shuffling from foster home to foster home. Eight years of trying to hold on to the memories that tether her to her mother. Now Sarah, Hope’s newest foster mom, has taken her from Minneapolis to spend the summer on the Nebraska farm where Sarah grew up. Hope is set adrift, anchored only by her ...more
Published August 28th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Holding Up the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Up the Earth

Start your review of Holding Up the Earth
Megan Lane
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imperfect, human, honest. Unforced poetic prose. A girl who draws. A girl who struggles and feels and learns to see beauty. Really well tied up story strings.

Grabbed this book off the shelf on a whim because I liked the cover and the fact that it is set in Nebraska intrigued me. No regrets. Don't recommend to guys, probably, just cause there's a lot that's not relatable and not much that is. Or maybe not. I'm not a guy, I wouldn't know for sure. Lol
. :♥Shelby Danielle♥: .
If you like books with a twist, then read this!
Its mostly journals.
I'm not sure if they are real or fake, but seriously good!
I give it 5 *****
Keri kunkle
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome book!
Jessica
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it a lot even though i hate diary form it was still a good book but not better than life as we knew it.
anna
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a mother daughter reading club
this book really reaches out and touches your heart in all the right places to make you cry!!!
Corinne Edwards
A treasured stretch of land and a lonely 14 year old named Hope lie at the heart of this exquisite story of the ties that bind us to the earth itself and to each other.

Hope has spent her life being shuffled from one foster home to the next - until she finds herself with Sarah. A kind and undemanding woman, Sarah takes Hope to her family's farm in Nebraska where, through a series of letters and journals, we come to know the former inhabitants who also loved that same plot of ground. We meet the
Dakota Smith
Very good
My Nebraska book for my State Challenge
em
This land is the house
we have always lived in.
The women,
their bones are holding up the earth.

-Linda Hogan, "Calling Myself Home"

Yet another book I kept from my youth that I hadn't remembered the plot line and was interested in whether this would remain on my shelf or not.

This one I received as a nice gift when I was 10/11 from a family member since I loved reading from a very young age (an Aunt, I believe, but I can't remember which one). It had some warm-hearted parallels I think she meant to
Jane
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book. For everyone who enjoys reading about the past. Your family’s past. Several generations of diary reading are covered here. It has been fun to read how the author blended them together. Life on the prairie at its finest. Synopsis: it has been eight years since Hope’s mom died in a car accident. Eight years of shuffling from foster home to foster home. Eight years of trying to hold on to the memories that tether her to her mother. Now Sarah, Hope’s newest foster mom, ...more
Judy
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fic-young-adult
foster care, families, generations, Nebraska, farm-life, attachment to land, women ...
There are lots of reasons to like this book, especially "Hope," the main character. I do have a couple of problems with the story, however, one being the use of letters to introduce Abigail. I generally like letters as part of the text, but these don't ring true; they don't sound like something a c14-year-old would write. I kept picking up a pencil to "edit" my copy (mainly crossing out statements that weren't
Cherylann
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Holding up the Earth begins and ends with Hope's story. Hope is 6 years old when she and her mother are involved in an accident, and Hope survives and her mother does not. What follows for Hope is a series of foster homes. Her current foster mother, Sarah, takes her to spend the summer on the farm where Sarah grew up. The novel then explores the stories of other young women who lived on this same piece of land. As the reader learns about Abby, Rachel, Anna, and Sarah, Hope learns about herself. ...more
Anne Thomsen Lord
I really, really liked this one. I grabbed it off the shelf at Bennett Martin on a whim yesterday, and I literally couldn't put it down. I've had a fascination with pioneer women for as long as I can remember, and this book definitely fed that fascination. It told the story of the Nebraska prairie through five generations of women through letters, journals, and plain, old oral history. At the the conclusion of each woman's story, I wanted more--especially the first, Abigail, who lived near the ...more
Libby
Jul 27, 2011 added it
This is a very good book and very touching. This book is about a girl named Hope and how she spends time with her foster mom, Sarah at her mother Anna's farm in Alaska. Also, what Hope discoves there is amazing. This book was well written and even has a website to go to. I recommend this book to anyone that is interested and likes to read letters about pioneer girls long ago. This book made me realize that I'm blessed to have so many family, and friends that care about me.
Lora
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I loved how the author had you experience five different young women's lives. All the girls were about 14-15 years old when you heard their story, but the stories spanned from the 1800's to the present day. It reminded me of All She Ever Wanted by Lynn Austin. I would love to read more books by Dianne Gray!
Roanne King
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While researching historical fiction before writing my own story, this was one of the books on my YA list. I absolutely loved it! The girls in this story are strong and inspiring! If you have a young teen who loves to read, or if you just want to ponder the possibilities of your past, this is a great, easy and emotionally challenging read.
Tatumn
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy-to-read coming-of-age story told in a unique way. It spans multiple years through letters and diaries, which I really liked. It was so good, I finished it in one day! I loved the messages about the importance of love and acceptance (I'm also a sucker for stories that take place on farms lol).
Kyla
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall the Pioneer Wilder side of me liked this book and the warm female relationships and the connection to the Prairie but I'd be puzzled where to put it in a library - it's a little innocent and slow-moving for teens and some of the love/sex/body stuff is a bit much for the Juniors. I read it in an afternoon, sick, under a blanket and I propose this is the perfect way to read it.
A dear friend had me read the first chapter of this book for a project in liberry skool. I enjoyed it so much I read the whole thing. A foster daughter spending the summer on a Nebraska farm and reading old diaries and letters of girls who had also lived on the farm.

Gabby
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was really good, but kinda wierd. good though. kinda confusing. kept changing time periods. most of it was people telling stories or her reading Journals rather than an actual story. but still good.
Zoe Hisey
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a poignant and tender read. I loved how Dianne effortlessly wove so many important details tying the past to present. It is a touching story of love and healing and I look forward to reading more of Dianne's books.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what prompted me to read this. I found it dull but that is probably only because it's not my genre, I usually can't get into this kind of novel so if you want to read it, don't let my opinion change your mind.
Stephanie A.
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Everything I have ever wanted out of an amazingly crafted family-history story -- I loved how all these just-probable-enough-to-be-real twists came together to unite the generations of girls on the farm. With a foster kid twist!
Angela
Lovely YA novel about several generations of young women growing up on the Nebraska prairie. Gentle, bittersweet, and satisfying.
Katie de Castro
Mmm...it was okay the first time. But I have no desire to read it again.
Abbigail Atkins
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. It made me cry and smile. I was happy and I was sad. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.
Sarah Lynam
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is good and bad at the same time can that be? I dont know
Tianna
It was a very sad book.
I loved the nice ending.
Jenny Johnson
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding story. Overall 5 stars.
KrisT
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Very nice story that links several women to the days of settling on the plains in Nebraska.
Hannah
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book!

• Hattie Big Sky (Hattie, #1)
  • Murder By The Books Vol. 1: Horrific True Stories
  • Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer - America's Deadliest Serial Murderer
  • The Girl with a Baby
  • Light Shadows (Dark Light, #3)
  • A Blaze of Sun (A Shade of Vampire, #5)
  • If You Come Softly
  • A Castle of Sand (A Shade of Vampire, #3)
  • A Break of Day (A Shade of Vampire, #7)
  • The Divergent Library: Divergent; Insurgent; Allegiant; Four: The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son, and The Traitor
  • A Gate of Night (A Shade of Vampire, #6)
  • A Shadow of Light (A Shade of Vampire, #4)
  • Behind You
  • Dark Light (Dark Light, #1)
  • Eleven
  • Lifeboat 12
  • The Hired Girl
  • Medical Medium: Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery Illness and How to Finally Heal