Start by marking “This Is How You Survive” as Want to Read:
This Is How You Survive

This Is How You Survive

Bad news: No one is coming to save you.

Good news: You can save yourself.

THIS IS HOW YOU SURVIVE is a poetry collection of moments and a happy book before anything else.

With poems such as "I Think It's Brave" and "You Can Save Yourself," This Is How You Survive represents the circular journey of life. It does not shy away from grief and healing, or joy and anger.

It simpl
Published November 5th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about This Is How You Survive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is How You Survive

Start your review of This Is How You Survive
Lana Cindric
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Pretty good, if I may say so myself.
Magdalena(Throne of Bookaholic)
This Is How You Survive je zbirka pjesama koja je nastala kao (sretan) kraj jednog životnog poglavlja. Skoro sve pjesme napisane su na engleskom jeziku, no na 84. stranici može pronaći i pjesma napisana na hrvatskom jeziku – Simfonija. Lana Rafaela je kao razlog tomu navela veću slobodu izražavanja, ali i potrebu da se sakrije i transformira kroz neki drugi jezik.

Zbirka je podijeljena u tri dijela (Ruin, Rising, Revolution) od kojih svaki govori o određenom periodu života, od početne boli, do tr
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
i like to begin the new year by rereading a top favorite, so 2020 is off to a good start.

this is still one of my favorite poetry collections; it soothes my hurt and nurtures my spark. the poems span the spectrum from a raging forest fire to cold coffee, galaxies being born to scraped knuckles to love notes scribbled on old receipts. it pays tribute to the love and the hate, the fury and the joy, those diametrically opposed yet wholly codependent facets of the human existence.

these poems feel lik
Natalie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh, what can I say about this book?

I've been reading Lana's poetry on tumblr ever since she has started writing it and this collection is such a wonderful, monumental showcase of her talent and development as a poet and as a writer.
The book itself is divided into three parts, but you hardly notice that while reading; the flow is seamless, dreamlike, more of a one stream-of-consciousness than separate story and that's good, cause, well, it IS one story. Lana's story but not exclusively; I believ
Soha Ahmed
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Her poems filled me with power, hope and- most importantly- faith in myself, my worth. Because sometimes "survival" seems more fitting to describe this crazy journey called Life, where you have to fight for your place in the world and this- this is how you survive.
Jenny
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was Lana's poem titled "Spread Your Wings" which was what first drew me to her writings. As someone who has been struggling with depression, her words were like a comforting and strangely empowering source of hope. This Is How You Survive is no different. Her collection of poetry meets me exactly where I am without glossing over the dark and ugly parts of day-to-day healing. She holds so gracefully the darkness and light, hope and despair, and joy and anger of what it truly means to be alive. ...more
Mitta Thakrar
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is magical.

Everyone should buy it! Lana explores mental health, feminism, self-love, self-discovery and just how tough life can be in this memorizing book. You can feel the raw emotion in the pages, she brings certain scenes to life in a way that I haven't seen in poetry before. I usually take a picture of my favourite poem of a book to share on social media but I couldn't pick one, every single poem is just so incredible and moving. It's one of those books that will get you through a
Mar
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-the-shelf
I really don't know where to start. Clearly Lana has a gift. I wouldn't have been so excited to purchase her first book of poetry if she didn't. This Is How You Survive, though...I just wasn't prepared. Wtf. Lana's poetry is just so relatable and human. She made me feel like a PERSON for the first time in a long time. Big smiles, fat tears and all. Thank you so much for this <3 ...more
Priya Chaudhary
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book of poetry which gives you all the hope you need in one go! A book that everyone should have in their collection.
Paula
Valerie
Apr 10, 2018
Amber
Oct 07, 2018

• Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • If I Never Met You
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #1)
  • House of Stars
  • The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life
  • Below Stairs
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
  • Nejma
  • Running Like a Girl
  • Jog On: How Running Saved My Life
Lana Rafaela Cindric is a writer, and a big fan of neon and cryptozoology. After all, what's a world without chupacabras?

Her first poetry collection, This Is How You Survive has been known to make people grab their cowboy boots and depart immediately in pursuit of joy, so caution is advised (or at least a sturdy suitcase).