Start by marking “A Lump Of Coal For Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Lump Of Coal For Christmas

A Lump Of Coal For Christmas

4.72  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Noelle,

You were a very bad girl, you know that bad girls get coal in their stockings. But, I promise you this, when put under enough pressure the dirty, black coal turns into the shining white diamond. Maybe the bad little girl can turn into something beautiful too.

X
Yule.
Published December 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Lump Of Coal For Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lump Of Coal For Christmas

Selene
Noelle has received a lump of coal in her Christmas stocking every year since she was seven years old. Always included with the coal is a note, but Noelle still hasn’t discovered who the sender is. Now that she’s eighteen, she’s very apprehensive about what this Christmas will bring.

This story in sum? It features a paranoid but likable narrator, a short countdown to Christmas Day, flashbacks to a childhood lived in a cult, and a teaspoon of romance. Loved the ending!
Yolanda Olson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book and oh em gee.

Imagine you're seven years old, and every year for Christmas for the next eleven years, you get a lump of coal and a note. The first note tells you something promising and each year as the "gifts" keep coming, you can see the hopeful light at the end of the tunnel, right? Well. So say when you think it's finally over because you've gotten everything you felt was missing back in one fell swoop, it all goes to shit again and you're in
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow. What a fantastic insight to a book this author is releasing next year.

My heart went out to Noelle. Every year since she was seven she received a lump of coal in her xmas stocking with a note saying she’s been a naughty girl. Can you imagine how much that would affect you 😭

I inhaled this in one sitting. I cannot wait to read more next year. This author rocks.
Janie
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a little Christmas package that delivers a big punch. It is not visions of sugarplums or sweet candy canes. It is definitely not yuletide joy or kisses under the mistletoe. A little girl begins receiving a lump of coal for Christmas every year always accompanied with an ominous note signed by Yule. She tries for years to discover who this person is and how he or she is pulling this off. Is it a prank or something much more sinister? I read this novella in one sitting and I feel like I ne ...more
Bookish_Sally
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this novella. Quick short read to introduce you to some very interesting characters with even more interesting pasts. Noelle sounds like the girl next door with a horrible past and Yule sounds like a boy who grew up a little Unhinged. Can’t wait to read onto the next story of these two.
Co
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading anything by Ashleigh. Wow, this book had me saying just one more chapter until I finished the whole book in one sitting. I cannot wait for the next book in this series to see what happens to Noelle
Antoinette
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Wicked Christmas stars!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a quick novella to introduce you to a story by Ash for 2018, and what a deliciously dark intro it is.
Noelle has received a lump of coal and note every year for Christmas since she was 7. At first she though it was a prank by her cousin. But as the years go by she is wondering who is doing it and if it might be something sinister.
I devoured this in one sitting and cant wait for the full length novel.
Janneke Wolbers
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What to say that hasnt been said before.
Imagine a world where every year for christmas you get a lump of coal with a note... then one day the gifts you were supposed to get but never got show up.
Scary? Add a past with a cult and running away and you have an awesome book like this...
I NEED THE NEXT ONE!!

Awesome fkd up read!
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, beta-read
This book had my head spinning.

Imagine when you are young little girl seven years old and every year you find a lump of coal in your stocking with a note.. this is what happened to Noelle. yet she didn't know what she had done wrong she was a good girl....
This book is a novella for a new book Ash has coming out in 2018. this will give you some insight to some of the characters and it will mess with your head a bit too ... it is really good and I for one can not wait for the next book
Ally's Book Reviews
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily accepted an ARC of this book here is my review

*Spoiler FREE*

I was gripped by this little novella, the mystery of the heartless coal-giver Yule, and the history and past of Noelle. Once again Ashleigh has written an intriguing tale hat foreshadows what is to come in the upcoming novel releasing next year. I absolutely inhaled this book and was sad when I ran out of pages, because it was JUST. THAT. GOOD.

Is it 2018 yet because I dont want to wait, I need all the words.
WendyW ~ Girls Just Wanna Have Books
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: november
A Lump of Coal for Christmas is a quick introduction to characters slated for a new novel that the author will be releasing in 2018.

What started out as a seemingly innocuous christmas story has graduated into a darkening mind-bending thriller.

From the time that Noelle was 7 years old she has always found a lump of coal in her christmas stocking with a little note attached. Each year the anticipation that this is the year she will find something other than the piece of coal is met with disappoin
Karen - Kazza's Books Blog and Reviews
Imagine waking up every Christmas morning to find a lump of coal in the pretty little jewellery box that was placed in your Christmas stocking. Noelle was a good girl............
That's all I can say for this story, anything else would be giving away the storyline and I don't do spoilers.
My head was constantly spinning, the subtle sprinkling of hints throughout (Ashleigh promised that they are there) did not help me one iota in unraveling the sequence of events that sent Noelle to turn slightly
Kirsty Adams
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a little gem! This story got my mind whirling- it's full of mystery and intrigue. For a short story, it had depth and I instantly connected with the characters. This book is right up my street and I can't wait for more in this series!
Joy Westerfield
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love a dark Christmas story? This novella was so good that I didn't want it to end! It tells the story of Noelle and how she grew up basically hating Christmas. She didn't exactly have a happy life. And just when she thinks things will get better?? Well, you will have to read this to find out what happens! This was a totally enjoyable read.
Nadia
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just know going in that Ashleigh Giannoccaro is evil. Completely diabolical but imaginative as all hell.

You still need to buy this book, but go in knowing this
Vickie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an introduction to a new series from Ashleigh Giannoccaro and introduces us to Noelle.

Noelle is only seven years old when her life is turned upside down. Already feeling lost and alone, she's devastated on Christmas morning to find a lump of coal in her stocking. Carrying on each year for the next eleven years, Noelle is still one the wiser as to who or why anyone would do this. Shes a good girl...or so she always thought.

Although this is only a short book it gives you the background a
Tiffany (Bibliophile Babes Book Blog)
The Queen of the psychological twisty reads is back at it again. This is a short mind trippy thrill ride that starts off slow and has your heart slamming into your rib cage by the end. Note that this is a novella that ends in a cliffhanger, and is laying the groundwork for a future full-length novel (CULTured a psyco-erotic thriller due to be published in 2018). I'd like to add that Ashleigh  sure knows how to make her readers excited and aching for more. I can already tell that Noelle and Yule' ...more
Michelle
Shelves: beta-read
5 Epic Stars from me ! A brilliant novella prior to the main event - CULTured.

Ashleigh Giannoccaro broke me whilst beta reading this, because it is so vague in parts and when you think you have the story you turn the page to realise that you were way off track.

This Novella is a gripping read, packed with clues that is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Some characters you will love and then hate!

But without a doubt this book will leave you gasping for the full length in depth story which
Christina
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I need the next book ASAP lol Ashleigh always keeps me hooked and like WTF!! when the book is over. This is a novella that will lead into another book in a few months. This leads you into a larger story and it takes place over Christmas (obviously). I gotta know what happens now!!!
Tabitha Hartman
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing little teaser to the new book Ashleigh is written... I have so many questions I can't wait for the next book to come out! Love the way this book gives you just enough to get you hooked!
Tammi
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bit different and dark tale for a holiday story. l expect nothing less from Ms Giannoccaro.
I loved it!!
This was an awesome tease/start for what looks to be a fantastic full length novel. The characters have interesting pasts that had me fascinated and their current situation has me dying for more.
I cannot wait!!
Jamie
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How am I supposed to write this review with our giving anything away!?

Ashleigh Giannoccaro brings the thriller in this novella, a prelude to an upcoming series that is going to leave you guessing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the ending of this book! I have so many questions and conspiracies and I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not ur average Christmas Novella. This also isnt my usual kind of read but i love ashleighs words so i was not dissapointed! An amazing start to what i dont doubt will be an amazing series! I cannot wait to start this series! It has left me wanting more!!
Dawn Yarrow
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a tease she is.
This novella is the lead up to a book coming after christmas and i cannot frigging wait!
The story keeps you hooked wanting to know why certain things are happening and who could it be.
It had me gripped throughout and i really cannot wait for the next book.
Amanda Leigh
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5? Unexpected ending for sure.
 Just Denise
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortys
4 stars for this novella! Great introduction for this story. Really looking forward to the rest of this story.
Jodie Scott
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lump of coal for Christmas

This is a perfect novella for the holiday season for anyone who likes their reads dark. This story sets the scene for what I’m sure will be an excellent new story coming in 2018 and this taster has definitely got me wanting…. no needing more!

It is descriptive in its wording while keeping it at novella length and gives out a great deal of history. It does leave your imagination running wild by the end of what could possibly be going on in the new book and personally I
Susan
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this twisted take on a Christmas story.
It was definitely more Woe Woe Woe!! than Ho Ho Ho!!
This isn't a traditional Christmas in Wonderland. Full of festive cheer.
It's deliciously dark and thrilling, it'll leave you speechless and a little scared.

With this taster of what's to come I'm beyond excited for the next book. Like WTF!!! Give me it now.

Noelle has found herself on the naughty list every year for a long time. Receiving every kids worst nightmare, a lump of coal in her stocking
Sara Koelsch
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh.Em.Geee… does Ashleigh Giannoccaro know how to pack a punch or what? This little Christmas novella is so flippin’ great!! It’s not all happy with hanging stockings with sparkling trees… oh no. Ashleigh has brought out the sinister side of Christmas. It’s just this short little snippet of an introduction to Noelle and her mysterious Christmas that started at just 7 years old. I couldn’t believe how quick this was over… maybe an hour… I know I will read it again right before the full length boo ...more
Misty Walker
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This author has this uncanny ability to paint these worlds so incredibly vividly and make you feel as though you are right there with the characters, living the life, experiencing the events and in this case, it was terrifying and made my heart race and my mind spin. I was crazy to know what was going on and who I should be wary of.

This is the absolute perfect beginning to a series. I cannot wait to read more but I also feel satisfied. I didn’t feel as though I was left so far on the edge of a