Start by marking “No Cage for a Crow” as Want to Read:
No Cage for a Crow

No Cage for a Crow

Sherlock Holmes has become legend, but his sister was lost to history.

In one hellish night, Morrigan Holmes ruined everything: her home, her family, her confidence, and her name. Fleeing scandal, loss, and grief, her only choice is to run, but London’s gaslit streets are not kind to young women alone.
Within hours, she discovers the horrors of homelessness and the terrible
Published May 29th 2018

To ask other readers questions about No Cage for a Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Cage for a Crow

Start your review of No Cage for a Crow
Alan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Teenager Morrigan Holmes, sister of Sherlock Holmes, runs away from home and is plunged into the gritty and often deadly street life of Victorian London. Ultimately her brothers, Sherlock and Mycroft, come to her aid.

Morrigan Holmes, the protagonist, is rendered as strong, principled and perceptive. Graham's vivid descriptions bring Victorian London to life and, against this background, she weaves an intriguing plot with well fleshed-out secondary characters.

Highly recommended for readers of hi
M.R. Graham
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yes, my own book, but it is the work of decades, and I do happen to be rather fond of it.
Karin Corneau
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, well written, kept me in suspense and i loved the characters. Definitely will read more
Randi
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
AAAAH so exciting! Not only was it hard to put down, but I was dazzled by the atmosphere (historical details, description) and the characterization. Also, as I mentioned in a previous update, it was just plain fun to read a young Sherlock. So serious, but also sometimes inevitably boyish. ^^ (Dare I say "adorably"?) Morrigan was also a highly sympathetic character--clever but vulnerable, and full of heart. Definitely recommend this!
Brandi DeLoach
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written...

After reading the forward, I was hooked. The story itself started a little slow, but it wasn't enough for me to put down. Actually, I didn't put it down -- I read straight through the night. I am looking forward to reading about the adventures of Morrigan Holmes and the others.
Tanya
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her brother Sherlock began famous while she lost everything and ended in her being homeless. She is soon in the middle of a mystery like her brother. She needs to solve it and find a missing baby. Will she solve it? See if she will

Paul
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried...But no

I love mysteries.
I love beyond words the writings of A.C.D., even non-Holmsian works
I even enjoy retakes or modernized Holmes stories.

What I cannot abide is reworking the characters for an agenda. I loathe "feminist readings" and social commentary disguised in Holmsian garments. Yes, we know Victorian England was stratified and sexist. Yes, I am sure A.C.D. ignored the plot potential of the sister (never mind what the BBC did with her in Sherlock).

The narrative style is a
Pat Eroh
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maybe because I am such a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I loved this story. Morrigan Holmes is just as interesting as Sherlock and this story will grab you and pull you into the era and the intrigue. When I read a story like this, I realize how much better our lives today because I know how stark the class contrast was and how poorly women were treated. This vivid reminder is just one of the reasons I loved this book. Another is that is it not just a copy of Sir Arthur's style. And the mysterious note ...more
Marti
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I obtained No Cage for Crow through a promotional free offer and thoroughly enjoyed it! Teenaged Morrigan Holmes. sister of Sherlock and Mycroft, runs away from home to the raw streets of London. She finds cold, hunger, poverty, and horror. Someone is stealing young women and girls — including her new friend, Snail. Is there anything Morrigan can do?
The youthful Sherlock and Mycroft are exactly as one might imagine, and Morrigan is a unexpected treat. Good plot, great characters, excellent writ
Terri
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Cleverly imagined tales of the early Holmes family, with Sherlock's sister Morrigan as the detective and both as teenagers. The writing style emulates Conan Doyle but is updated to exclude some of the minutia of daily Victorian life that can weigh down fiction of that period, while still providing historical observation and context. Looking forward to additional memoirs from Morrigan and Graham.
Brad
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book follows the story of Sherlock Holmes' sister. Having not read a "Sherlock Holmes" book since my youth, I could not remember if he had a family at all. (According to Wikipedia he has a brother but no sister) so technically this is not canon for what that is worth.

However, this is an entertaining book, that occasionally jumps ahead in the story to skip over mundane details. I was okay with that, but obviously some people will find this obscene.
Ellen White
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, loved the detail description as she was getting out, the land, what she was incounting in her run away travels. The mishaps and danger for a young girl. Delightful filled book, as a legend to that of being a Holmes.
Joan
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This novel came in a bundle of suspense stories. The writing style is smooth and mostly skillful (repeated misuse of objective case pronouns, however.) I just couldn't get interested in the story; I stopped reading after chapter 6.
Mindy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes Sister

Victorian Era setting for coming of age style story with strong femall lead. My croft and Sherlock's sister proves that not just the boys have skills
Janet L.
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on Sherlock Holmes and his family.
Pamela
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Holmes Family

Very interesting combination of characters! I would recommend this to anyo who likes an Aretha Christie and Shelock Holmes time period.
StephanieE
Bev
Apr 01, 2020
Angel
Dec 30, 2019

• Broken Circle (Gray Ghost #1)
  • Deceitful Whispers (When Leslie Cries Book 1)
  • Combat (Passion Patrol, #2)
  • Uniquely Mine: A Fitz Series
  • Into the Lion's Den (Reverend Margot Quade Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Savannah Sleuth (Vigilantes for Justice #1)
  • The Other Wife
  • The Color of Destiny (The Color of Heaven Series #2)
  • The Color of Hope (The Color of Heaven, #3)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1)
  • Something Like Family
  • Never Enough (Meet Me in Montana, #1)
  • Home Sweet Home
  • Blue Hollow Falls: New Beginnings
  • When He Vanished
  • Fatal Distraction (Jess Kimball Thriller, #1)
  • The Heart of the Matter (Welcome to Redemption, #6)
  • The Perfect Blend (Welcome to Redemption, #3)
USA Today bestselling author M.R. Graham is a native Texan who traces strong cultural roots back to Scotland, Poland, and England. A mild-mannered PhD student during the day, Graham transforms at night into a raging Holmesian loremaster and rabid novelist.
Though passionate about all scholarship and academia, Graham's training and true love lies with anthropology, particularly the archaeological br