Start by marking “The Man In The Wall” as Want to Read:
The Man In The Wall

The Man In The Wall

Do you love gripping psychological thrillers full of suspense? Then discover the best-selling The Man in the Wall today, a stunning and disturbing thriller Scandi thriller you won't be able to put down.

Alva is a sad and lonely child. With her father locked up in prison, she moves with her mother and two older sisters to an apartment building in town. She does n
Published November 21st 2017 by Bloodhound Books (first published April 20th 2016)

Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I’m thrilled to be part of the blog tour for The Man in the Wall! As soon as I read the description for the book, I was immediately hooked!

After moving to a new apartment building with her mother and siblings, Alva’s interest in ghosts and the supernatural intensifies. She’s convinced her deceased grandmother’s paintings have some sort of hidden message in them, and she’s determined to figure out what they are.

When a murder takes place in one of the other apartment units,
Linda Strong
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017

The title of this Scandinavian thriller says it all. Got my attention and drew me in. I had an immediate idea of what would happened, but once entranced, I found there was much, much more.

What would be your first thought when you baked 3 loaves of bread, but only hours later, there were only two? What if you found a secret compartment in your closet, but it was locked from the other side? What if a woman disappears, only to reappear 2 weeks later ... dead in the hallway?

Very definit
Susan Hampson
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I had known nothing about this book I would read it just because of the cover, there was just something about the little girl who intrigued me and oh boy she certainly doesn’t disappoint in the story.
If there was ever a child that needed loving it was Alva, she was like a square peg in a round hole trying to fit into her family. Well the family she was left with anyway, her mum and two older sisters. She didn’t even look like them and none of them seemed to miss her daddy like she did a
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have to say I absolutely loved the look and sound of this book. The cover promises something dark and it certainly was.

The two main characters are W and Alva. Alva is an adorable but sad and lonely child. She misses her dad terribly even though she doesn’t actually know what he’s done (or the reader for that matter) and she is angry and resents her mum for the changes in her life. I wanted to reach out and give her a big cuddle. She also misses her dead grandma and feels she has no
Donna Maguire

This was such a good book!!  I absolutely LOVED it from the start to the very end - so many twists and turns, plenty of suspense, it is an excellent psychological thriller and one I would highly recommend to ANYONE who enjoys this genre!!

The whole book is very well written, the pace is spot on for the book and the way the story builds is excellent.  I loved the characters and the who things had an almost creepy feeling and at times I genuinely felt nervous and that I was hol
Beverley
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Man in the Wall is an unusual book. It’s a psychological thriller I suppose but not in the traditional sense. There are moments of threat and terror which are combined with instances of great sadness and loneliness which make this a cut above the usual thriller trope. There isn’t a detective looking for serial killer, or a criminal mastermind hunting down unsuspecting and vulnerable people instead there is a little girl, a strange man and hints of the supernatural.

Alva, her mothe
Jessica
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
Big thanks to Bloodhound Books and the author for the advanced ebook copy in exchange for my honest review!

First of all, this cover. Can we all agree its so eye-catching and beautiful? Then we have the title, THE MAN IN THE WALL. Ok, I need to know more. Emma Angstom, you've successfully reeled me in. The one thing I will say, is that this isn't so much a psychological thriller (like the description states), I'd probably categorize this more as a horror book.

After her fat
Alexina
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Drawn in by the cover, then the blurb, this book did not fail to deliver.
If you would love to be a fly on the wall, and wonder at how the people around you really live their lives, this book is for you. I am fascinated by human nature and love people watching, so this was a perfect read for me.
Alva is such an intriguing character, and I was fascinated with following her journey. She really is a lost soul in her own home, and goes out to look for friendship.
Which she does, but is it the right
Lisbeth Davies
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five Whacking Great Stars for an outstanding read.

Yoikes, I've not been reading fiction for quite a while so this was unexpectedly the perfect way back to books - unsettling, claustrophobic and eerie and a genre that I'm not used to. I almost put it down a couple of times, unable to bear what had just happened or might come next but after less than two seconds I'd realise that the writing was so good I had to finish it. The translation by Dominic Hinde adds enormously to the experien
Becky
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not worth the effort.....just a few pages in....no go
Katherine Sunderland

This is a great thriller. It is very tense and has some real nail biting moments. I love a novel full of tension and suspense and Angstrom wastes no time delving straight into creating an atmosphere that is unsettling and creepy.

From the first chapter there are things that start to chill you to the bone. Mysterious happenings, things appearing, disappearing, strange things going on... and although the characters might want to convince themselves that they are misremembering or imagin
Gordon Mcghie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Man in the Wall – I was hooked by the name and sold by the description (above). How utterly chilling, to think that whilst in the safety of your home there may be someone watching you…moving around your house, maybe even while you are sleeping. Or if your wife disappears, returning dead two whole weeks later – clearly having been killed some days earlier.

Let there be no doubt that The Man in the Wall is deeply unsettling and more than a little chilling.

Alva moves into
Laura Longbottom
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have to rewrite my first review because I thought about the book a little while and my opinion somehow changed. First of all, I don’t regret reading this book, but I wouldn’t recommend it either. My review contains spoilers, so be aware of that.
The main point why I changed my review is because the book had great potential. A man living behind the walls, a lonely girl that likes the occult. But nothing really happens in that book. First of all we ask ourselves where the father is (not really b
Jasmin B
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
It literally took weeks for me to go through a little less than three-hundred pages of this immensely thrilling and outstanding novel that actually had me turn around once or twice when I was alone in my kitchen in the middle of the night, getting out of bed in the middle of the night, and turning on the lights in the dark every one in a while just because I have heard strange sounds that in my mind sounded like footsteps. This novel is as crazy and as disturbing as many countless people who hav ...more
Pamela Scott

(ARC provided by the publisher and voluntarily reviewed)

The Man in The Wall made my flesh crawl. My skin yanked itself from my bones and crawled away into a dark corner.

This book deals with something that is a very real fear of mine: home invasion of an extreme kind. Nothing make me feel sicker to my stomach than someone watching me, invading my home and my life without my knowledge.

I loved the premise of The Main in The Wall though it gave me the chills.
Paula Stammers
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
I have to admit this is one of the creepiest books I have ever read. I think this is one of my worst nightmares, to think that someone is hiding and watching everything that you do, I have to admit after reading this book I am very relieved that I don’t have space under my bed.

The two main characters are Alva and W. I really warmed to both characters, not sure I should have but really couldn’t help it. The book is really well written and although it gave me the creeps I did thoroughl
Martha Brindley
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very well written story. It is very dark but it draws you in. Set in Scandinavia and is about a mother and her three daughters, trying to start a new life. There is a feeling of dread almost from the first chapter and I loved the character of Alva, such a wonderful child. The story is original and fans of psychological thrillers will enjoy this book. I would recommend it. Thanks to Bloodhound Books for my copy.
Jennifer Reynolds
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Definitely had a feel for foreign writing which made it even more enjoyable... I almost stopped reading it at the point of the almost sacrifice... but I appreciated the last minute change in plans. It has me curious to know what happens with Alva and W later... a lot left open for a second book. Touches on quite a few popular issues of today... bullying, abuse, single parenting so I think it is rather easy to relate to.
Renika Jacobs
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not worth buying....

This book was slow in places and left a lot of plot holes. I'm hoping there's a sequel because the ending leaves a lot of unanswered questions. There is no suspense or surprise moments at all. The story does not even explain why he builds the walls. Not a good book at all...
Ruthy lavin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh crikey this book is so good!!!
It is unnerving yet quite sad, very well written and structured.
I couldn't put it down!
One of those books that stays with you fresh in the memory, just brilliant.
A little disappointed with the ending but I am praying for a sequel!
Perfect for TV or film adaptation.
If you are a fan of thrillers then please do yourself a favour and read it!!!!
Nancy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Sometimes it seems like I've read all the horror and thriller plots that exist and I never find anything new, but this one was a total surprise! I am hoping for a sequel because there are aspects of the little girl's character that I want to know more about/understand better. But a fantastic read. Thanks for the recommendation from Lisbeth Davies :-)
Kathy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The Ma in The Wall

I haven't read a thriller book like this in a long while. So I did enjoy it but some of the things that went on behind the walls have me spooked. It was an entertaining read and I was caught off guard at the ending. Wow.
Lisa
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A creepy tale.

Not for those who get scared when they hear a bump in the night!

A dark story and though the man in the wall should have felt sinister, I couldn't help feeling sorry for him. X
Tanya Richburg
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Better be a book 2

This book was definitely a page turner. I gave it a 3 star rating because of the end. I'm not going to give it away but, as my heading says, there better be a book 2!
Trudy Lynn Brockman
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Childhood dreads

Found this book very entertaining. The style of writing took a little to get used to, but then just rolled along. Would liked to have had a little more development of the characters. Would like to read more by this author.
claire
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very macabre

Really enjoyed this book. Didn't take long to draw you in. The plot flowed very well and I liked how the relationship built up between the young girl and older man. Really good.
Bob
May 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh

I read the entire book waiting for something positive and it never came. The premise of the story was intriguing but the weak character development, a pointless plot and lousy ending have left my feeling I wasted my time and money.
Renata Gawronski
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This book is not only interesting but informative. Dark forces through the ages are lurking and repeating themselves in various ways and time periods. Dark thriller. Surprising and provocative.
Barbara L. Rose
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very different type of story.

Although some parts seem to have unnecessary details, everything ties together to form a most interesting tale. This one held my interest throughout. The characters seem very alive, but sad in their own ways. I recommend giving this author a try.
Diane
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmmmm

Not quite what I expected. Creepy ending that didn’t feel like a true end. My over all impression is that the story is odd.

• Murder At The Fourth: A Forest Pines Mystery
  • Poesy (Low, #0.5)
  • The Choice
  • The End of Lies
  • Dead Lemons
  • The Scream of Silence (The Little Things That Kill, #0.5)
  • Little Boy Found
  • Dark Whispers
  • American Terrorist (Rayna Tan #1)
  • Deep Deception (Dan Roy #6)
  • You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)
  • The Mask of Fu-Manchu
  • Bad Blood (Emily Swanson #0)
  • In Plain Sight (Hero, #3)
  • The Stormwatcher
  • The Sin
  • Brothers
  • Who She Was
Emma Ångström is an author and architect. She has a Master’s degree in architecture from the Royal Technical University in Stockholm and from Parsons in New York. Besides her writing she currently works as head of communications at an architectural firm in Stockholm, Sweden.

She was born in 1982 in Västerås, Sweden, and started her writing career as a journalist at the age of 17. Since
“Alongside their physical body, humans thus also possess a body of energy (see Astral body) which is liberated at death and can survive in new forms once the body dies (see Reincarnation). Ghosts are thus defined as souls freed at the point of death but still without a new physical form. Usually, ghosts appear to say a final goodbye. Spirits who are unable to rest in peace may also show themselves in this way.” 1 likes
“Ghosts are free spirits who can interact with their surroundings, whilst revenants can best be described as a repetition of a certain image, like a broken projector. Revenants relive events which have taken place in reality, often in dramatic circumstances. This includes murder for example. Other more everyday revenants have also been observed, such as a housewife floating outside of a second-floor window at a country house where there was once a balcony. Revenants always have a strong emotional connection to the place or building where they are seen. Ghosts on the other hand, are more concerned with contacting those who see them.” 0 likes