Start by marking “Warren Mundine in Black + White: Race, Politics and Changing Australia” as Want to Read:
Warren Mundine in Black + White: Race, Politics and Changing Australia

Warren Mundine in Black + White: Race, Politics and Changing Australia

The Highly Anticipated and Revealing Memoir From One of Australia's Most Significant Indigenous Leaders

Overcoming segregation, discrimination, personal hardship and political betrayal… Nyunggai Warren Mundine tells it all in black and white.

Warren’s raw, intimate success story shines a bright and inspiring light showing there is no limit to what you can achieve. His curric

Published November 7th 2017 by Pantera Press

To ask other readers questions about Warren Mundine in Black + White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warren Mundine in Black + White

John Purcell
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book caught me by surprise. The stories Warren Mundine tells of his parents and grandparents, of his own childhood and his brothers and sisters are very interesting. It is very clear that Mundine's life itself informs his ideas - whether they be moral, intellectual or political. He is not an academic, but someone who must experience the world for himself first hand. This book is well worth your time. A very well written and thought provoking read.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oz-authors-2018
‘Race Politics and Changing Australia.’

In this book, Nyunggai Warren Mundine sets out to tell a story. It’s a story about his own life, about his family and about Australian politics. It’s also about the process and progress of change, about history, and some of the barriers to success.

As I read the book, I was reminded that until 1967 that aspects of life for many Aboriginal people were controlled by the state or territory in which they lived. I was reminded (again) of the harm such control can
Rebecca Davies
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great insights

Warren Mundine’s book is an exploration both of his own life and that of his family, but of contemporary Australian politics and our failures in supporting our First Nations to achieve social and economic independence. I particularly enjoyed his personal story- dealing with challenge and showing great drive and resilience.
Koda Whitney
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have started this review a number of times because I know whatever I say on the content of this book will not do it justice. Mundine completely blew me away. The story is one that has essentially three parts: personal journey through life, race and politics. It is told with such candour that if you pick this book up and walk away unmoved I seriously doubt you have the requisite comprehension.

The funny thing for me is that the revelation I had was that I completely agree with the concept of ec
Pato
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
Kimberley Kanages
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Part biography, part memoir and part essay. He works these three genres quite well together. It’s a shame Warren wasn’t selected by Labor. He could have been a great leader. I particularly appreciated his position on economic development and how left wing green policies can be seen as ‘racist for trying to wrap culture in bubble wrap in an inner city way of trying to fix something that just seems so far out of anyone’s reach.
Andrew
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mundine did a fantastic job of mixing history lessons and policy arguments in with his life story. Although I don't agree with some of his views, a lot of what he has written about closing the gap and solutions to the problems facing Aboriginal Australians makes a lot of sense.
Ken Fitzpatrick
Monika
Feb 15, 2018
Lyn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read. Agreed with most of his ideals.
Meg Wilson
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
JayReview..
Nyunggai Warren Mundine AO
In Black and white.

Upon finishing this work which I have been reading in spare moments as a passenger on long car trips or waiting in doctors offices over the month Of January, and culminating in my finishing the last 220 pages on Australia day, In attempts to avoid "the big debate" about the date of the 26th, I have found my head swimming with words in a pleasant kind of vague attempt to pen a review.
I had to put it down after the culmination of 504 pages