Start by marking “Frida Kalo: jedna biografija” as Want to Read:
Frida Kalo: jedna biografija

Frida Kalo: jedna biografija

Marija Hese predstavlja knjigu „Frida Kalo. Jedna biografija.

Frida je bila mnogo više od bola i patnje. Bilo joj je dovoljno da bude senka Dijega Rivere i njegovog razarajućeg temperamenta, a postala je umetnica puna života. Njene slike su vesele, pune boje, krvi i života. Bila je borac koji je odlučio da ide kroz život ne obazirući se na tuđe mišljenje. Takođe je bila i
147 pages
Published 2017 by Dibidus (first published October 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Frida Kalo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frida Kalo

Start your review of Frida Kalo: jedna biografija
David Schaafsma
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"To build a wall around your suffering is to risk that it will eat you up from the inside out”—Frida Kahlo

“I don’t care. I like how I am.”

Can we ever get enough of Frida Kahlo? When is it we read another biography and say we have read our last? I say not yet, as I complete the lovely and interesting and poetic illustrated biography of Kahlo, including a generous heaping of her writing from journals. The book ranges from childhood thought her terrible accident to her life with philandering genius
Calista
I enjoyed this read about Frida. Frida was tough and inventive. She suffered a horrible accident as teen that changed her life and left her dealing with sadness and grief the rest of that life. She put that into her paintings, always.

She also married someone she knew was a womanizer and he broke her heart many times. Frida has a will to life that is inspirational. She painted herself and what she knew best, what she could see. I saw the Salma Hayek movie years ago when it came out and it was
Carmen
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frida is such an inspiration. She had to struggle and suffer and she was able to turn all the ugly things she had to go through into love, freedom, life and art. It is impossible not to fall in love with her- the force of nature she was- and once you get to love her you know it will last forever
Rita
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for fans of Frida!!
The artwork is gorgeous and the style of this book makes it perfect for people that want to venture in the biographical bookworld!
leynes
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was utterly delightful; definitely one of my favorite illustrated works of 2018. If you have the chance to grab this please do, María Hesse will surely enchant you with her wonderful drawings and charming writing style. I am still in awe of the love and care for detail that went into this.

María Hesse told Frida's life in a few simple words but managed to capture her wild and bold spirit wonderfully. Her illustrations really are what knock this biography out of the park. I'm still shook at
Anna
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2019
The biography isn't very detailed so I didn't learn anything new about Frida - but I wasn't expecting to. What got me interested in Hesse's book was the cover art and this time I was right to judge a book by the cover! The illustrations are fantastic. Every single one of them is and I wouldn't mind having a few printed and framed on my wall (since I can't afford Frida's paintings ;)). María Hesse is incredibly talented and I want to put my hands on every single book she's illustrated.
Lara Maynard
Good sturdy volume with decorated end-papers and nice quality colour printing. Good use of excerpts and quotes from Kahlo's diaries.
Mark
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Frida Kahlo fascinating. One of the most interesting artists of the past century. This beautifully illustrated and written bio, is a perfect introduction, to her tragic, but rewarding life. It would also look lovely, on your bookshelf. 4.5 stars

Marija (Inside My Library Mind)
Absolutely stunning! I don't know much about Frida, I knew of her, but not a lot about her life, so this was a great way to learn some stuff about it. This is written in the first person, so it has a whole different dimension to it and it's so unique and wonderful. Obviously, the illustrations drive the book forward and are SO STUNNING. Highly recommend this one!
Lynda
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this Graphic Novel which is both written and illustrated by the author. Using quotes taken from Kahlo's letters, diary and interviews and weaving in her own narative, Hesse paints a clear picture of Frida's life, loves, passions and pain.
Through her illustrations, Hesse interprets the artists paintings in a cute and rather whimsical fashion while at the same time keeping the integrity of the original work.
I look forward to checking out Hesse's other GN's particularly,
Kerfe
A graphic novel of Frida Kahlo's life with open naive folk-art style illustrations using black and white with carefully placed accent colors. Hesse captures the essence of Kahlo without slavish imitation. Kahlo's full life intersected with both history and art--a new biography always shines a light on different corners of it, and is always of interest. Hess captures both the suffering and the beauty and joy.
Maria
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book. It's a graphic memoir illustrated with simple, clean-lined, and effective drawings that perfectly evoke Frida's colorful and soulful life. A great gift for any Frida aficionado or a wonderful introduction for a young person.
Aleksandra
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very beautiful bioGraphical novel about Frida Kahlo, famous artist of 20th century.
I love the illustrations and the approach to storytelling. It feels like Frida herself tells you about her life.
I like this book a lot.
Katarina Blažić
A wonderful little book about the life of Frida Kahlo. <3

The illustrations are gorgeous.
Anastasia
Wow, that was very interesting and educational! I've known little to nothing about Frida before I read this book.

The illustrations were amazing and the story itself was very heart-breaking. I never knew she's had such a hard life and I honestly admire her a lot right now. Will definitely want to know more about her.
Rachel Becerra
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved everything!
Rachel Watkins
This beautiful graphic novel chronicles Frida Kahlo's life with gorgeous illustrations, interpretations and reinterpretations of her work. Highly recommend.
Zoë&#x1f52e;
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
// Credits to the bf for helping me translate this precious work of art (1000/5 stars) //
Nash
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing that i didn't already know as someone who is kind of obsessed with Frida Kahlo. But this is one of my favorite books I've read this year. It is written as if it is Frida herself who is telling you her story which kind of gave me chills. Every single page has an illustration by the amazing Maria Hesse. For me this is THE Frida Kahlo biography! If you've been a fan of hers for a long time, pick this up. If you wanna get to know her better, pick this up. I just will recommend this to ...more
Dorie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frida Kahlo: An Illustrated Life
by Maria Hesse
Translated by Achy Obejas
2016
University of Texas Press, Austin
5.0 / 5.0

Iḿ fascinated by Frida Kahlo, and have read many articles and books about her and her art. I wrote several essays in college for my Art History classes. So finding this graphic novel in the library, an illustrated life of Frida,I had to add it to my stack.

The graphics are absolutely on point-well done, but not over done. Graphics that are simple and exemplary of her life.
Inês Leal Cordeiro
I have no words to thank Peggy Heart for being such an inspiration and introducing me to the amazing work of Maria Hesse.
And I have even less words to thank Maria Hesse for writing/painting Frida in this amazing book.
I read this biography in my kindle in only a few hours. But, as I knew from the start, I shall have to buy this book in physical form and have it next to my Florbela Espanca !
Also I must add that this is the first time I actually read a book in Spanish, since I learnt the
Jamie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore graphic biographies and this is a stunner. Told in the first person, the type is the narrative of her life and the cursive is journal entries that give us peeks into her mind. So much life, suffering, love, art in her life. I love the way important paintings are recreated for the narrative and that they are documented in a chronological interpretation at the end. The art is sublime, such delicate detailed paintings. A beautiful peek into a beloved, tortured mind.
Romany
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a very interesting book. Why do we love Frida so much? Here she is again, reinterpreted in words and pictures. The illustrations of Maria Hesse bring a childlike quality to Kahlo’s works. The hardness is removed, replaced with a wry smile. Yet all the mean parts of Kahlo’s life are still represented (the accident, the infidelities). It’s beautiful and original, a homage and something new, all blended into one.
Lauren
A fascinating pseudo biography-graphic novel-diary mashup. Combining entries from Kahlo's diaries and illustrations that reimagine some of Kahlo's works, Hesse makes her subject's life story feel very intimate and a little confessional. Reading this book feels like listening to a friend. I wish it was longer!
Kylie Combs
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was SO excited to find this book at the library! When I got to see her and Diego’s work at the Dallas Museum of Art, I desperately wanted to buy her diary, but unfortunately, I can’t read Spanish very well (I am taking a class tho! So maybe someday I can?). This was such an amazing alternative and wildly informative and engaging and I just loved it so much!
Barbara
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost want to give this five stars just for the illustrations. This book is beautiful. It probably goes without saying, but if you are looking for a comprehensive biography, this isn't the book to choose. But it does a nice job with a good overview of her life, told in a distinct voice, with beautiful interpretations of her paintings and illustrations. It's so purty, really.
Suzanne LaPierre
It's difficult to create an illustrated book about a famous artist and have the illustrations do justice to the artist, but this book manages to do that. The illustrations are poetic and poignant without imitating the artist's style. Although this is a story told in illustration and well as text, it covers adult subject matter and is not for children.
Litbitch
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espanol
A gorgeous graphic novel-style bio of Frida, incorporating her diaries and other biographical info. Many of her famous paintings are interpreted as well, and to be honest, I liked them better than the originals.
Ally Cole
The illustrations in this book are 5 stars!

I can't wait for her book on Bowie to be translated into English!

I own the hardcover of this book and this is the correct cover art, but for some reason goodreads doesn't have this cover art assigned to that ISBN yet.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 224 Nov 08, 2019 02:02AM

• Freddie Mercury: Una biografía
  • El futuro es femenino
  • Idiotizadas, un cuento de empoderhadas
  • Morder la manzana: La revolución será feminista o no será
  • La Princesse des glaces
  • El peligro de la historia única
  • La persona incorrecta
  • Qué pacha, mama
  • Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
  • Frida
  • Feminismo para principiantes (Cómic Book)
  • A mi manera: un paseo por la vida de Simone de Beauvoir
  • Lola Vendetta. Más vale Lola que mal acompañada
  • Las chicas son guerreras
  • Ja sam Staša
  • La Mujer Tras el Velo
  • El funeral de Lolita
  • Días sin ti
Se convirtió en ilustradora a la tierna edad de 6 años, ella aún no lo sabía, pero su profesora y su madre sí. Unos buenos años después, tras acabar sus estudios en Educación Especial, agarró los lápices y se lanzó a la piscina de la ilustración de manera profesional.
“¡Pies para qué os quiero si tengo alas para volar!” 2 likes