Start by marking “Lies You Never Told Me” as Want to Read:
Lies You Never Told Me

Lies You Never Told Me

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,190 Ratings  ·  437 Reviews
Gabe and Elyse have never met. But they both have something to hide.

Quiet, shy Elyse can't believe it when she's cast as the lead in her Portland high school's production of Romeo and Juliet. Her best friend, Brynn, is usually the star, and Elyse isn't sure she's up to the task. But when someone at rehearsals starts to catch her eye--someone she knows she absolutely should
Published May 29th 2018 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Lies You Never Told Me, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jasmine maybe back when they were together she had filmed it. cause he found the camera with catherine- but we never know how long the camera was actually…moremaybe back when they were together she had filmed it. cause he found the camera with catherine- but we never know how long the camera was actually there. maybe it was there during the entirety of their relationship. thats what im going with. (less)

Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Lies You Never Told Me is a young adult thriller written by Jennifer Donaldson. It will be published on 5/29/18 by Razorbill, an imprint of Penguin Random House, 336 pages. The genres are young adult, mystery & suspense, social issues, and fiction. This book is intended for readers ages 14 and up, grades 9 and up. This book is the author’s debut.

My Experience: I started reading Lies You Never Told Me on 4/15/18 and finished it on 4/24/18 at 12:30 AM. This book is an awesome read! I l
Trina (Between Chapters)
Note: I was sent an early copy of this book by the publisher for promotion and review consideration.

Representation: One of the two POV characters and his family are Mexican American. His kid sister has Down Syndrome. A side character is Filipina American. One of the POVs depicts poverty and living with an addict parent. There is possible unnamed mental illness. Abusive romances.

Content warnings: There are 2 abusive romances (both m/f couples, one abuser is male, and the other is female) that are
Tziggy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent story! Each chapter had me rushing to read the next. This had me guessing quite alot throughout the book. I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Lou
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this sneak peek, the first 74 pages of LIES YOU NEVER TOLD ME, and would definitely be interested in reading the rest of it. I feel invested in the characters journeys and excited about what eventually happens as you delve deeper into the book. The more I read the harder it was to contemplate placing it down to do something boring but necessary. In the end, I decided that for my own good I would finish it all before attempting to focus on other things. Unless there is some s ...more
TL
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
---
Maybe I shouldn't have read this after the Echo Killing, but for me this was just okay *shrugs* Not great not bad, just in the middle.

Malia
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

I was excited to receive a copy of The Lies You Never Told, a book in a genre I usually enjoy! The story revolved around Gabe and Elyse, and I often like the multiple POVs when done well, because they add a certain roundness to a story. The characters were engaging, though they plot felt a little predictable to me at times. That being said, it did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. I was curious how the two plot lines would come together and when they did, I was drawn into the s
Sylvie
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Lies You Never Told Me'
by Jennifer Donaldson

4/5 stars.

At first I thought this book book was going to be a slasher aka with a killer constantly murdering people because in the tags it was described as "Thriller''. However, throughout the book I realized it was more
psychological thriller than a slasher thriller.

Before reviewing this book I want to point out the trigger warnings:
Domestic violence, forbidden relationship, drug addict, abusement and bully(ing).

This will contain spoilers:

The story i
Nina-Tala (JustAddAWord) Shannak
This is how thrillers should be.

Everyone, take note.

Look, by far the genre I’m the most pickiest with is thrillers. So rare do I genuinely care for a character’s safety, or am surprised by the so-called twists and turns of the plot. I’ve read HERE LIES DANIEL TATE and was meh about it. I’ve read THE HANGING GIRL and was disappointed. ONE OF US IS LYING was fun fluff, but nothing more.

But this one? I think it’s safe to say that LIES YOU NEVER TOLD ME is my favorite thriller. Ever.

My favorite
Marla
Lies You Never Told Me was a page turner. I liked how the story went back and forth between Elyse in Portland and Gabe in Austin. Their lives were very different yet kind of the same. Elyse is a 16-year-old who decides to go out of her comfort zone and audition for the school play. She has a junkie for a Mom who can’t keep a job and can’t keep off the stuff so Elyse has had to grow up young and try to keep them in an apartment. Then there is Gabe who lives in Austin. Gabe’s girlfriend is very po ...more
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
Although this didn’t completely blow my mind, Lies You Never Told Me was an extremely readable and entertaining book.

Told from the two perspectives of Gabe and Elyse, this story unfolds as we see through the eyes of each of them every other chapter. After completing just the first two chapters, both storylines had my interest and I was curious to see how they would connect. I had a few guesses, one of which took the lead fairly early on and ultimately was correct. Even though this made for a pre
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: drcs, arcs

I feel a little conflicted over this even though this should be a relatively straightforward review.

There's something about this book that made me not like it as much as I could have, and it's not something concrete like writing style or a specific plot element. It's more like I have this uncomfortable feeling when I think about this, if that makes any sense.

I think this lies within Elyse and her relationship with her teacher, but parts with Sasha also make me uncomfortable. This is a
Carlene Inspired
Find this and other reviews at Carlene Inspired.

Elyse. Gabe. Sasha. Caroline. Four students, four very different lives. Lies You Never Told Me is a twisted tale told from the perspective of Gabe and Elyse, two high school students who have never met, but whose lives are about to be changed forever. A gripping Young Adult Thriller, Lies You Never Told Me is a novel about consequences. Elyse is starring in a school play for her first time and she catches the eye of a handsome, new fellow. The spot
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 5/11/18: 3- 3.5 stars
HM. Well. This book was definitely interesting but I actually think it could have benefitted from more editing, which although I'm no expert in the editing/publishing process, is something I feel a lot nowadays.

Let's think of non-spoilery things first...
I did find the direction of this book really interesting! There was a nice twist and that light bulb moment when I finally realized exactly where this book was heading and what these two stories had in c
Aisling
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! This one blew me away. I read an ARC copy and I really can't wait to see how this one explodes into popularity. It begins with alternating stories--great dialogue, fast paced, interesting characters but for sure you can see what's coming; it's like watching a slow moving train crash. At one point I even scoffed to myself 'well that was predictable' BUT, dear reader, you HAVE. NO. IDEA.

I think the author does a truly brilliant job of pulling of an epic plot twist at the end that is 100% le
Susan Kennedy
I didn't hate it, in fact I wasn't sure I even liked it, but I kept reading. I was getting annoyed at the two different stories going on. One chapter about one and the next chapter about another and on and on that is the way it went through the entire book. Then, about six or so chapters to go I'm thumping myself on the head. I have no idea where my brain went or why I couldn't put the two stories together. I only hoped that it would all come together in the end. Boy am I slow today! I should ha ...more
Karima chermiti

Actual rating : 3.75 stars

Trigger warning: (view spoiler)

Everything worth doing has the possibility of ending in pain

Sneaky, dark and upsetting; Lies you never told me is a manipulative book about obsession, toxic relationships and unhinged emotions; this is a book you don’t want to miss. Told in alternating narratives between a girl and a boy, one lives in Texas
Rebecca
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Teens (Gabe and Elyse) risk it all for love.

Told in alternating narratives, Lies You Never Told Me followed Gabe as he made the momentous decision to break up with Sasha, his long time, popular, and controlling girlfriend, and Elyse as she earned the leading role in her school play and learned how to command the spotlight. By the end of this dark, twisty, and shocking tale, however, Gabe and Elyse learned the hard way that "everything worth doing has the possibility of ending in pain."

I found t
Diana Iozzia
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
“Lies You Never Told Me”
Written by Jennifer Donaldson

“Lies You Never Told Me” is a complex book. We meet four titular characters, Elyse, Gabe, Catherine, and Sasha. Sasha and Gabe are breaking up, and Sasha is hell bent on preventing that from happening. Gabe meets Catherine and starts to fall in love with her. In a separate perspective, Elyse begins to fall in love with her drama teacher, Aiden.

After this begins, I don’t really understand where it goes. This is a book for teens, but it does in
Natalie Mullan
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A parallel narrative which alternates between the main protagonists with each chapter. This story takes you on the path of two young adults who make a few bad decisions and the consequences that follow for everyone. Some of the teenagers are far nicer than any you’re likely to meet but the storyline is intriguing and far more complex than first perceptions.
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, read-2018
As a teen high school has to be the hardest, yet most defining moments in your life. It's where you decide what your life is going to be like for the rest of your life. Whether you'll go to college, or find a a trade, or do absolutely nothing.

Two teens, Gabe & Elyse are trying to figure out life right now. Gabe is dating one of the most popular girls in school, although he's not too keen on the way he treats her and he's thinking about ending it. But what will that cost him in the long run?
Natille
I was hooked on this book from the first sneak peek. Gabe's story has me gripped as I read more about him and Sasha. Then get parents paint a nasty view and I immediately think they ran poor Gabe over as he leaves their house, but I was off the mark and that was probably what hooked me. This is definitely worth reading for those within the age bracket and is a good psychological thriller for teens. As you read further you will be introduced to two different personalities that are going through t ...more
Jamie Rosenblit
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up!

Listened to this on audio and the strong narration was definitely a big plus! Around 40%, I had a strong hunch as to what the twist might be and I was ultimately right, which ruined a bit of the “oh-em-gee moment” for me, but still a fun ride, nonetheless!
Dahlia
Apr 28, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018-releases
I'm too paranoid to reveal anything by reviewing this so all I'll share about it is that I read it in one shot and sort of want to read it again now.
Dayle (the literary llama)
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3.75-4 stars, so I'll just round up! More thoughts coming soon.
MyMy (PunchDrunkLibrary)
PDL's Rating: 3.5 Okay Punches

This book is a great read for the age range this book is intended for, but don’t mistaken it not being a good read for those of us beyond that age range. I enjoyed Lies You Never Told Me. It wasn’t my top read of this year but it definitely held my interest enough to read it until the end. It can easily be a one-sit read. The story is told in multiple POV, which I have always been fond of as a reader, which allows us readers to really connect to each individual that
Stephanie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I developed a theory about how the two storylines were connected fairly early on and it ended up being right. When that was finally revealed to be true I kept expecting something else shocking of twisty to happen at the end of the book, but there wasn't. So I guess if you didn't figure it out early it would appear as a fun twist, but it was just kind of ho hum for me. I did like the different POVs, though, and I really liked Gabe, even t ...more
Tes - paperbackbones
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whoaaaa this was so unexpectedly clever & so good! I stayed up late reading because I couldn’t put it down and woke up just to devour the end!

It’s a thriller and it nailed tension and it’s definitely a page-turner, but there’s a lot more to the story. It’s diverse, it tackles issues I’m not used to seeing in YA books. I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll just say that this was surprisingly great and I’m excited to read more from this author!
PinkAmy loves  \u0026#x1f495; books\u0026#x1f4d6;, cats\u0026#x1f63b; and naps\u0026#x1f6cf;
***Thank you to First to Read for providing me a complimentary copy of LIES YOU NEVER TOLD ME by Jennifer Donaldson in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

In Oregon, Elyse lands the part of Juliet in her school play while beginning a dangerous relationship. In Texas Gabe’s ex girlfriend doesn’t want to let him go. And she’s willing to stoop to crime to get him back. These teens stories come together in a deadly conclusion.

Almost from the beginning, I knew how Elyse and Gabe’s lives would u
Halezz
* I received a copy via First To Read in exchange for an honest review*

Definitely a book I would recommend. I figured out what was going to happen pretty early on but still wanted to finish the book. I enjoyed Gabe, Elyse and Catherine but Sasha was a miss for me especially after the second half of the book. Some of her actions were a little unbelievable. There was also a bit of insta-love but overall a solid read with some nice twists.

I would check out more from Jennifer Donaldson.
K.N.
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m floored that this is a debut novel and impressed it’s a YA thriller. The plot is tense and sinister while the characters are realistic high school teens. School plays and pep rallies are balanced with controlling dating relationships and life-threatening situations.

All of the characters are three-dimensional, but one shows signs of the kind of person who can ruin your life. As their stories unfold, we learn some are hiding secrets and there’s danger lurking beneath.

There’s a break-up that e