Start by marking “The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)

The Thief Who Went To War

(Amra Thetys #5)

Don't get noticed.

That's the first thing the world taught me about survival. When I was very young, and my father was very drunk, I'd hide, silent and still, in the muck under the shack we inhabited. There I listened to his stone fists pummel my mother. He would not have pulled his punches for me; he barely did when he was sober. I wouldn't have survived him in a drunken r
Kindle Edition
Published August 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Thief Who Went To War, please sign up.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 8 stars. Most despicable rating ever, I know, but this is only my first read and stuff. Expect 12+ stars (or worse) after the next one and stuff.

So. I already said this in my Craptastically Craptastic Pre-Review (CCPR™), but it never hurts to copy-paste rehash and stuff, so here goes and stuff:

I waited FOUR YEARS for this book to be released. FOUR YEARS. And, bloody shrimping hell of the stinking fish, was it WORTH IT. Now let’s dance for a bit.

(Oh, and by the way, in case you we
Jason M Waltz
Headlong fun, with a harsher bite

McClung and Amra and Holgren (and Kluge and even L--, well that cranky old priest (it's hard to recall how to spell his name,ok?)) are back in force. And good force too. No bones about it, this is Amra's tale and she definitely tells it. There's lots of knives, vulgarities, sorceries, toughs, deaths, mysteries, and layers upon layers of plots. That's all for the good. There's also a darker tone, a harsher vibe, to this book, one McClung's afterword sheds a little
Michelle
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Carrie D. Miller
The long-awaited 5th installment of the Amra Thetys series did not disappoint! Filled with on-the-run action and adventure, Amra is even more belligerent and stubborn this round (can you blame her??), and in many places I laughed out loud. McClung's writing is fluid and witty; he paints a sharp picture with every scene. I did find myself thinking that I should stop reading and go back and re-read #4, which I might do anyway just 'cuz. I can't wait for #6!
L
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Buckle up because this is a wild wild ride.

There are unforseen twists and turns and I was completely blindsided by the ending. Smart, funny and totally absorbing.
ERIS R
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for persevering Michael

Thanks for another great chapter in Amra's story. It was worth the wait and I'm looking forward to the next five knives going down, and the Netflix or Amazon adaption too. Your series is a genuine delight.
Jon
Good lord I love this man's writing. Truth in advertising, I'm part of Michael's beta reading group but, that being said, I became a part after he won the first SPFBO contest put on by author Mark Lawrence.

His books are just that good.

In this installment we catch up with Amra, fresh from recuperating from her trials in the previous book. Returning to her old home, things naturally go sideways and mayhem and destruction follow in her wake. (Seriously, at this point cities should pay her to just
Adam
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the wait.

Had to go back to the last book and skim to remind myself where things left off, but I'm glad I did. This one was no less fun or clever than the rest. Amra and Holgren are always a good pair, plain dirty fun and nonstop action. I do wish it had been a bit longer, but not so much that I was disappointed by the content.
Looking forward to the rest of the series, and best of luck to Mike in his pursuits!
Joanne Watkins USA
Repetitive

This was a bit too confusing and repetitive. Amra stumbling around not having a clue lurching from one violent crisis to another became tedious. Her getting beaten up and people killed was frustrating not intriguing. I stuck with it as I was hoping to find out what happened but overall disappointing.
Jeffery Clark
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amra Thetys returns.

It was worth the wait. If circumstances demand, I am certain the books to follow will be worth it as well.
Melinda
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving this series. The writing and world building are amazing....and the two MC are utterly delightful to “watch”
Les
Aug 11, 2019
Franz Lang
David
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael McClung was born in San Antonio, Texas, but now putters around Southeast Asia. He has had the requisite number of odd jobs expected of a speculative fiction author, including soldier, book store manager, and bowling alley pin boy. His first book, the Sword & Sorcery novel "Thagoth," won the Del Rey Digital first novel competition in 2002 and was published by Random House in 2003.

The fi

Amra Thetys (6 books)
  • The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids (Amra Thetys, #1)
  • The Thief Who Spat In Luck's Good Eye: A Sword & Sorcery Novella (Amra Thetys, #1.5)
  • The Thief Who Spat In Luck's Good Eye (Amra Thetys, #2)
  • The Thief Who Knocked on Sorrow's Gate (Amra Thetys, #3)
  • The Thief Who Wasn't There (Amra Thetys, #4)