Start by marking “The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)

The Thief Who Went To War

(Amra Thetys #5)

Don't get noticed.

That's the first thing the world taught me about survival. When I was very young, and my father was very drunk, I'd hide, silent and still, in the muck under the shack we inhabited. There I listened to his stone fists pummel my mother. He would not have pulled his punches for me; he barely did when he was sober. I wouldn't have survived him in a drunken
Kindle Edition
Published August 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Thief Who Went To War, please sign up.
Michael McClung 2018. More specific I cannot be (said in Yoda voice).
Jeremy Spencer A lot of authors have various projects going on at the same time. It can get boring thinking of nothing but the same people in the same world every.…moreA lot of authors have various projects going on at the same time. It can get boring thinking of nothing but the same people in the same world every. single. day. For as many days as it takes to write the newest installment. It's not like it is for a reader, who is only in that world for a day or two while reading the book. I wouldn't say it's a "trend" so much as a "necessity" to maintain sanity.(less)

Start your review of The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 8 stars. Most despicable rating ever, I know, but this is only my first read and stuff. Expect 12+ stars (or worse) after the next one and stuff.

So. I already said this in my Craptastically Craptastic Pre-Review (CCPR™), but it never hurts to copy-paste rehash and stuff, so here goes and stuff:

I waited FOUR YEARS for this book to be released. FOUR YEARS. And, bloody shrimping hell of the stinking fish, was it WORTH IT. Now lets dance for a bit.

(Oh, and by the way, in case you
kartik narayanan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I like Amra Thetys and the entire series so far. This book is enjoyable too but it didn't grip me the way the others did. If you are a fan, then definitely read this book. Others might find it average.
Elena Linville
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, I devoured that book in less than a day...

Amra is as delifhtfully sarcastic and foul mouthed as ever and I freaking love her! And we are back in Lucernis, which I live as well, even if it will be slightly damaged by the time we're done.

I'm glad that Kluge survived yet another encounter with all the weirdness that usually surrounds Amra, because in his pigheaded, black and white no shades of gray kind of way, he is actually one of the good guys. The Magister turned out to be a
David S Meanderings)
Another really fun and solid entry in the Amra Thetys series!

Review to come for Self Published Fantasy month in September!
Jason M Waltz
Headlong fun, with a harsher bite

McClung and Amra and Holgren (and Kluge and even L--, well that cranky old priest (it's hard to recall how to spell his name,ok?)) are back in force. And good force too. No bones about it, this is Amra's tale and she definitely tells it. There's lots of knives, vulgarities, sorceries, toughs, deaths, mysteries, and layers upon layers of plots. That's all for the good. There's also a darker tone, a harsher vibe, to this book, one McClung's afterword sheds a little
L
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Buckle up because this is a wild wild ride.

There are unforseen twists and turns and I was completely blindsided by the ending. Smart, funny and totally absorbing.
Mark Stone
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, to be brief because I'm tired and know that if I don't do this now it will never be done. The entire series rocks. I mean really rocks. Like AC/DC playing at Madison Square Garden rocks. With spare writing and a strong sense of irony/humor McClung hits every sarcastic button there is while delivering a fast paced, witty, exciting story. Every single f**king time. Every book in the series without fail and grabs the reader by the short and curlies and won't let go.
There are few things I love
Michelle
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Carrie D. Miller
The long-awaited 5th installment of the Amra Thetys series did not disappoint! Filled with on-the-run action and adventure, Amra is even more belligerent and stubborn this round (can you blame her??), and in many places I laughed out loud. McClung's writing is fluid and witty; he paints a sharp picture with every scene. I did find myself thinking that I should stop reading and go back and re-read #4, which I might do anyway just 'cuz. I can't wait for #6!
Yuri
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
By Kerf's weeping prick this was fun!
Do take note of the fact that I'm a sucker for witty, self deprecating or snarky characters like Locke Lamora, Sand dan Glokta, Lightsong and Amra Thetys.
I mean, sometimes characters say things that aren't even especially clever but you just can't help but love them for their humor in the most dire circumstances.

Jon
Good lord I love this man's writing. Truth in advertising, I'm part of Michael's beta reading group but, that being said, I became a part after he won the first SPFBO contest put on by author Mark Lawrence.

His books are just that good.

In this installment we catch up with Amra, fresh from recuperating from her trials in the previous book. Returning to her old home, things naturally go sideways and mayhem and destruction follow in her wake. (Seriously, at this point cities should pay her to just
ERIS R
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for persevering Michael

Thanks for another great chapter in Amra's story. It was worth the wait and I'm looking forward to the next five knives going down, and the Netflix or Amazon adaption too. Your series is a genuine delight.
Jon Adams
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well worth the wait.
Michael Parish
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Well told and balanced fantasy.

The author NAILED the balance between hero and villain. The challenges where worthy and just impossible enough to be believable with out feeling cheated. Well done sir, I near impossible balance well done.
Celine
Rating: A+

Incredible ending to a series that leaves me wanting more. The way I felt about book 1 and 2 return finally in book 5. Amra has to face off against Visini, the Blade the Binds and Blinds and all the things Visini can throw at her.

Amra is so rude and crass, but so funny and strong-willed at the same time. We see the return of characters from the previous books, continue to learn more about the world. There are some crazy fights and lots of things for Amra to consider when trying to
Gareth
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was great! Finished it in about 2 days because it's just such a fast fun read. The main character continues to be amazing and the world surrounding her is fascinating. Been slogging through some books I didn't really enjoy and this reminded me what it's like to read a fun book. Refreshing and enjoyable.

Carl Phillips
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It had been a while since I had read book 4 (something the author totally did not have to apologize for at the back of the book) so it took a while to get back into the flow of the plot, but the sheer joy of reading about Amra Thetys and the cityscape McClung painted so well overcame my early hesitation.
Kimberly  Jones
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the wait

What can I say, this is a heroine of a different ilk. She's smart, fearless, damaged more than we know, and she loves fiercely the mage, Holgren. Also, she drinks shitty wine and has made.it her duty to save.the world from the Blades. If this is confusing you...read the books!
Richard
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking story of Amra .....

The title says it all. If youve read any of the previous in the series, this is a must, and maybe the best of them too.
Great world building - characters, even minor ones, leap off the page, and the plot twists are great. And the humour - brilliantly funny .....
Lewis Clymore
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic series

This kind of storytelling and writing is what drew me to fantasy in the first place! I truly envy those who will discover this series for the first time. Mr. McClung, please write more about Amra, I beg you!
Baby Paul
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amra comes back to Lucernis to fight Visini, the Blade that Binds and Blinds not knowing she is stepping into a maze of deadly traps that are impossible to avoid. The story is grittier than the previous ventures of Amra.
Melinda
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving this series. The writing and world building are amazing....and the two MC are utterly delightful to watch ...more
Preom Sharda
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Felt shorter than the previous entries, but a solid return to Amra's story, Her interaction with Chuckles and Morno were my favorite parts. Looking forward to book 6 Michael!
Shaun Kellett
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant installment to an already brilliant series.

I can't wait to see where McClung takes this next.
Justin
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short kindle book (~250 pages). Amra returns to Lucernis and is immediately beset by constant stream of trouble and bad luck and worse.
Mansi
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it

I don't know what to say..... this book, just like that last one had a lot of action but very little movement. Nothing much happened, and again, I was just meh.
Erika L. Monterroza
Riveting read

I love Amra's stubbornness and her determination not to be controlled. I'm already going through Amra and Holgrun withdrawal. I've thoroughly enjoyed this series.
Stephen Smith
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started this series on 18th Nov and finished the 5th and final one 3rd Dec. That should tell you something. Thoroughly enjoyable series. Looking forward to trying more of his work.
Alan
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amra is back and it is a neat trick to be proactive and buffeted by fate at the same time.

Amra started slow for me and I wasn't quite sure what I thought about this character and series, the writing was good enough to keep me going while waiting for something new from Scott Lynch but I did not 'feel' the characters.

The previous book with the Holmgren's pov helped Amra emerge more fully as did Chuckles and now I am attached to the progression or sometimes regression of the characters and their
Suzyq
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-books
Gawd, I love these books! Thank heavens I held off on reading Amra Thetys #4 until this book came out, cause otherwise the cliffhanger at the end of it would have killed me. After being absent from most of "The Thief Who Wasn't There," this book has all Amra, all the time. The action is non stop, as is the cussing, the killing and the attitude. The plot is complex, original and surprising. Amra's black humor and bad-ass bad attitude make her a joy to follow through it all. Here's Amra holding ...more

• Minor Mage
  • A Year and a Day in Old Theradane
  • Paladin's Grace
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • The Kraken's Tooth (The Seven Swords #2)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • One Man: A City of Fallen Gods Novel
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • God of Broken Things (Age of Tyranny, #2)
  • A Pilgrimage of Swords (The Seven Swords #1)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • From Cold Ashes Risen (The War Eternal, #3)
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal #2)
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Swordheart
  • Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path, #1)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
Michael McClung was born in San Antonio, Texas, but now putters around Southeast Asia. He has had the requisite number of odd jobs expected of a speculative fiction author, including soldier, book store manager, and bowling alley pin boy. His first book, the Sword & Sorcery novel "Thagoth," won the Del Rey Digital first novel competition in 2002 and was published by Random House in 2003.

In his

Amra Thetys (5 books)
  • The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids (Amra Thetys, #1)
  • The Thief Who Spat In Luck's Good Eye (Amra Thetys, #2)
  • The Thief Who Knocked on Sorrow's Gate (Amra Thetys, #3)
  • The Thief Who Wasn't There (Amra Thetys, #4)