Start by marking “The Magician Murders (The Art of Murder, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Magician Murders (The Art of Murder, #3)

The Magician Murders

(The Art of Murder #3)

Published March 29th 2018 by Josh Lanyon

To ask other readers questions about The Magician Murders, please sign up.
WMD Amazon won't let preorders be set up currently for Lanyon's privately published books. I hear Magician Murders is available for pre-order on Smashwords or Kobo.

Start your review of The Magician Murders (The Art of Murder, #3)
Simone
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
***4 ❤️***

Relationship-wise was this my favorite so far, plot-wise not. And I really do hate cliffhanger!!! Gahhh...
Ms. Smartarse
Jason and Kennedy finally manage to wrangle some time off to enjoy a weekend together, only for our intrepid art detective to get assaulted on his way to the grocery store. For all the severe self-recriminations, and frustrating squabbles courtesy of his lover's sheltering attempts, the two protagonists manage to spend some serious quality time in a secluded location.

The not-so romantic part in all this, aside from the whole laying low because you have a stalker, is having to meet the mother(-i
Natasha
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
WINTER 2019!?!
LANYON, I COULD VERY WELL BE DEAD BY THEN.

a review with SPOILERS!

Wow. Okay. I really loved this. I did. Why a 4 and not a 5? Well, I wanted a littttle more out of the mystery plot. I guess it just didn't grab me the way The Mermaid Murders did. I did want more magic in the novel, and not metaphorically. I wanted there to be more actual things relating to magic.
Still, Lanyon's writing is on POINT with this book. It's seriously some of Lanyon's best written work yet. So many tidy
Christelle
Arghhh…stupid assumptions…I should have known better. This series about Sam and Jason, two FBI agents romantically involved, is not a trilogy….I don’t know if I’m glad about it, as I’m getting really fond of these guys, or sorry, because…cliffie and winter 2019 before more ☹

So, what do we have here : 2 career-oriented FBI agents, with an age-gap, each trying in their own way to build a relationship although it’s mostly a long-distance one, Jason needing to be on equal foot, and Sam afraid to hur
Martin
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is clearly one of the best!

It’s like reading a m/m romance master class project. Everything is absolutely spot on.

We have our (once again only) POV MC Agent Jason West, the sexy and cute art expert for the FBI’s Art Crime Division

description

And his (let’s just say it, even though you never know for sure) boyfriend, BAU Chief Sam Kennedy, who spends (all of) his time profiling serial killers.

description

How these two ever got together, only the first two books will answer. Because yes, they are an unlikely
Karen
I admit to holding my breath through a lot of this episode in the story of Jason and Sam (view spoiler). Since the story is told from Jason's POV, and Sam is (intentionally/habitually) hard to read, the reader can't help but share Jason's professional and personal anxieties. Plus Jason is injured and physically fragile, and stubbornly trying to ignore that. The mystery is layered and complex, and it wasn't until the near end that I could s ...more
Viv
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
The audiobook is wonderful!

Loved it, just like most of Lanyon's work. I love being in Jason's head. He is smart and confident in all things...except his relationship with Sam. Jason is human and I relate to him so well. The mystery was really well done and I loved the bit of humor in this. I am also happy that this is not the end of Sam and Jason's story!
Ami
I think I have to settle with the fact that I may have to tone down my expectation when it comes to the mystery in this series. Mainly because Special Agent Jason West's specialty is Art Crime (emphasis on Art) and not homicides. So no, he doesn't really need to investigate murders and serial killers. And yes, I have to be satisfied with that.

In that sense, I actually enjoyed the mystery here MUCH better than book #2. I liked the magic / magician angle, and how passionate Jason was when he defen
MishyJo
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
September 8, 2019: Here I am ready for book 4. Here I am ready for book 4. Here I am ready for book 4. Here I am ready for book 4. Here I am ready for book 4.
——
January 12, 2019: What a creepy last page! I assume that means the story is far from over. Good thing. I need more Sam and Jason.
Erth
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another five stars for Josh Lanyon's excellent book. I love the development of the two MCs, the tensions and resolutions in their ongoing relationship - very convincing indeed. I enjoyed the current case and also the ongoing arc - I found the ending particularly chilling and can't wait for the next book! ...more
Vivian
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-suspense, own
Murder never rests.

Jason West is recuperating in Wyoming after a vicious attack. Yep, the ardent FBI agent for California art crimes is languishing, or recovering at his might-be boyfriend Sam Kennedy's mother's ranch. You read that right. In three books, Jason has succeeded in his quasi relationship with Sam leaps and bounds beyond what Adrien managed with Jake. So diehard Lanyon fans can be reassured that you are not on the same hamster wheel. No guarantees about the angst.

Wyoming has its rust
Katerina
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? When will the sequel come? WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL COME? WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL COME? WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL COME? WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL COME? WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL COME? WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL COME? WHEN WILL THE
Starr (AKA Starrfish) Rivers
Not liking this series as much as the other one...

3.5 stars rounded down. The mystery is just not that interesting to me. Not all that suspenseful or gripping. And the romance is fine, but it's not like I read these books for the romance and sexy times. They're few and far between. So if the plot isn't gripping, the rest is meh.

Still love Sam. Still like Jason (despite his "cheating" in book 2). Wish we actually saw things from Sam's POV... but part of why I love him is also his mystery so there
Johanna
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Magician Murders is a thoroughly satisfying, gripping third book of Josh Lanyon's The Art of Murder series. This series is fast becoming one of my all time favorites with its unlikely but oh so intriguing main couple!

The aftermath of a creepy assault on Jason's life forces Jason West and Sam Kennedy to take some time off in Sam's childhood surroundings. Almost magically bodies start to pile wherever these two go. In no time they're not only trying to figure out who is after Jason, but also w
Melissa
Feb 2021
I don't want to say goodbye!!!!! Each book is perfectly detailed and organized and I wish they were longer just because I do. 😛 I don't know what JL could add to make them longer, but hey, them reading the newspaper works for me. 😏 Read the series. You won't regret it. Brilliant work here.

2019
Loved it! And OMG, JL almost gave me a heart attack making me think these two were going to break up. I would not have been happy if that had happened, but as I predicted these are two mature adults
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: Kale Williams – 4.5
Book Cover: 4

First of let me just say once again that Kale Williams does this SO well! I love it!

Second, if I don’t fan girl about the two MC’s I’ll be untrue to myself. I don’t know what it is about the way Josh Lanyon writes characters but I love it.

I absolutely LOVE both Sam and Jason. They are unique and so real. Jason with his emotions pretty much on his sleeve, I just break for him when he tries to keep it under wraps. His thought pr
Anke
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
WTH was this? It started with an assault, moved on to this Magician Murders thingy only to then end with returning to the beginning and ending with - an open end. Great. And for that I worked through all these pages? I looked up my review for book #2 which ended with 'let's hope the next book will be better'. I have to say, nope it wasn't. And I think I'm done with this series.
Besides - next book Winter 2019 (with this author it's more probable to be summer 2020), I'm safe to say then I won't re
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This is a heckuvan enjoyable read. The pacing was spot on, with just one small stretch seeming to carry on a bit too long. Don't separate your leads unless you absolutely must, and definitely don't do it if there isn't much of an explanation as to why one had to leave. 24 hours in a book can = many pages.

Innywho, that's probably my only gripe about this book. Jason is as uncertain as he is confident, desirous of a long-term relationship as he is hesitant to upend his current life for a possible
Elena
Apart from the one in the first book, the mysteries in this series aren’t the best I’ve read by Josh Lanyon, but Jason and Sam’s relationship more than make up for it.

I love how they are slowly figuring out their way around a long-distance relationship, further complicated by all the struggles of what’s essentially a new relationship, with so many things they still don’t know about each other. It’s not easy, but as Jason so eloquently put it: “every time they weathered one of these conflicts, he
Gabi
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This instalment is perfect in every way. *.*
Tess
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

So it turns out this isn’t a trilogy(!) It’s nice to see these guys getting closer but I was hoping they’d be nearer to an HEA by now! The murder mystery maybe wasn’t up to the same standards as book #2?
mwana
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This will really be resolved in book 5, The Movie Town Murders. Release date TBA.

I can't wait.

I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wait.I can't wait. I can't wai
Chris, the Dalek King
So it turns out the trying to review two Josh Lanyon books at the same time was a bit of a mistake. Mostly proved by the fact that I got two paragraphs into this review before realizing that in fact this story did not involve any side trips to Scotland or fawning book-groupies. It does however have more than its fair share of dodgy magicians and FBI agents who really suck at communication.

In their third book, FBI agents Jason West and Sam Kennedy are finally looking like they might get their shi
Mike
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, unsurprisingly, a GREAT book.

Unsurprising because Josh Lanyon really is the creme of the M/M, Mystery, Romance, Adventure, Comedy crop. Anyone lucky enough to stumble on her for the first time will have the happy experience of reading a smart, amusing, thoughtful author with a great ear for dialog. I don't think there is another M/M author who perfectly blends conversation with exposition, with no fat, ever.

The plot is ingenious- find a reason to put the MCs together, add intrigue and
Kathleen
While I liked seeing the small but significant progress in Sam and Jason’s relationship, you can take that ending and shove it six ways to Sunday. And Jason’s conclusion as to the identity of the suspect in the local murders? Preposterous. No way. That felt like lazy writing.

There were passages and aspects of this book where the old Lanyon shown through but, honestly, this was mostly a disappointment for me. Makes me sad.
JR
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best One in Series so Far

This is a fun series in my opinion. I like the way it is taking a while for the relationship between Jason and Sam to develop. Looking forward to number four
rowenalovelace
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dedectives-cops
This one was really good! I liked how they finally get to know each other properly enough and the mystery was exciting as well..
And that cliffhanger! I am already looking forward to next story!
Ingie
Review December 28, 2018

3 Stars - Honestly I expected more. My rating: Just okay.

Book #3

... and happy Holidays!

**********************************************
Blurb: « Jason West, hot shot special agent with the FBI's Art Crime Team, is recuperating from a recent hit-and-run accident at the Wyoming home of BAU Chief Sam Kennedy when he's asked to aid in the investigation of a suspicious death in a National Forest. »

• I listened to the 6:37 hours audiobook narrated by Kale Williams. Perhaps not ov

• The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Curiosities (Snow & Winter, #2)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Bones (Snow & Winter, #4)
  • Strange Medicine (Dr. Maxwell Thornton Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Relief Valve (The Plumber's Mate #2)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Shadow's Edge (Psychic Detective Mysteries, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
See top shelves…
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Art of Murder (5 books)
  • The Mermaid Murders (The Art of Murder, #1)
  • The Monet Murders (The Art of Murder, #2)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • The Movie-Town Murders (The Art of Murder, #5)

News & Interviews

The last five years of world history have been nothing if not...eventful. When living in interesting times, there's nothing better for...