Start by marking “Rivers of London Volume 5: Cry Fox” as Want to Read:
Rivers of London Volume 5: Cry Fox

Rivers of London Volume 5: Cry Fox

(Rivers of London graphic novels #5)

Always outnumbered, always outfoxed!

Child kidnapping is already an appalling crime, but in the latest case for Detective Constable Peter Grant--newly promoted in the ranks of London's Metropolitan Police, but with a lot still to learn about wizarding--things take a truly dark turn when the victims become prey in a homicidal hunt that Grant and the members of the Folly must
Published May 22nd 2018 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Rivers of London Volume 5, please sign up.
Raj I think it's just four of them, but yes, it collects the whole storyline of "Cry Fox" in one volume.

There are four previous graphic novels that…more

There are four previous graphic novels that collect previous comics.(less)

Start your review of Rivers of London Volume 5: Cry Fox
Andrew
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the next in the graphic novel instalments of the Rivers of London series (Peter Grant). The book does follow the series and in fact at the end of the book (where there are usually a number of extras including one shot strips and other details) there is a chronological history where both the books and the graphics are shown.

As a result there are details which are over looked (I would not say lost as that would imply you cannot enjoy this book without having read everything that went on
Paul E. Morph
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The RoL crew re-enact 'The Most Dangerous Game' with some talking foxes thrown in to hammer home the allegory. Entertaining enough until the next novel arrives.
RG
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Its good seeing Peter and co in another novel although very limited time with Peter in this one. Others appear as the main character. The story itself is pretty cliched and simple, nothing really original. Its been told a million times with different authors. Just waiting for November for the next real Novel in the series.
Cathy
Unexpectedly good. Good story, good artwork, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Well, the story was ok-ish, really. The plot idea was actually a little lame. The telling of it was good though. Very good characterizations. Nicely done evil guys, too. I enjoyed the short stories at the end.

And my favourite part of the (nice, but standard) artwork was Abigail.

I might read more of this graphic novel spin-off of the Peter Grant novels, if I found them cheaply.
Margaret
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The latest graphic novel in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.

Characters from earlier graphic novel "Night Witch" appear, along with Abigail and that slimely little refugee from the hunt, Reynard Fossman.

I can't give an synopsis without given the plot away. It's a fairly simple plot, but executed with style and wit.

The little visual gifts are as delightful as ever. Reynard is watching "Basil Brush" on television... sweetly Basil's companion is clearly Mr Rodney, which is a lovely tribute
Rana
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More, please. I cry excellent story!
John
I may have lied a bit earlier. While I normally don't read graphic novels, or haven't in many years, something happened to me while I was reading the last few of these Rivers of London graphic novels. I started to get an itch. A very minor itch, but definitely something I haven't felt in ages.

No it wasn't a rash, per se. It was an urge. An urge that made me want to draw again. ...It's been so long since I've sat down and sketched for hours upon hours. You see, I create graphics for a living, so
AndrewP
The 5th graphic novel in this series and according to the authors reading order comes before the latest novel 'Lies Sleeping', hence I read this first.

Another, more or less, stand alone graphic novel that contains a single case with an old adversary, Reynard the Fox. Although this was pretty good I had a few small issues with it. For one, there were a couple of panels where the art had been reused. I guess this is symptom of digital art, it's easy to duplicate a background or whole frame and
Emily
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
These graphic novel additions to the Grant/Nightingale world continue to be consistently good. It was fun to see Abigail in action in this installment.
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

3.5 Stars

It is no secret I'm a fan of the Rivers of London series and one of the things I like is the multiple ways in which the story is told, e.g. here the graphic novel. Like its predecessors it is good in keeping you entertained while waiting for the next novel in the series.

Cry Fox only contained four issues so it was a very fast read. It was a take on a very well known tale which was maybe not the most surprising or original but
Dee
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
<333 Abigail and Guleed, yasssss queens

That's basically it. Oh, and hooray Nightingale baddassery.
K
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
These little graphic-novelettes are not meant to be stand-alone stories, but read alongside the "Peter Grant" series (starting with Rivers of London. I can't remember if the novels specifically reference events that occur in the graphic novels, but if you're already reading the series, go ahead & pick up these as well.

I highly recommend the "Peter Grant" series; a young police officer gets accidentally introduced to the fact that magic & other supernatural entities are real. Witty,
Shannon Appelcline
The Rivers of London comic continues to show off what you can do with a great licensed comic. It's well written by Aaronovitch and Cartmel, it maintains strong continuity with the books, it keeps some continuity of its own, and it feels important.

In Cry Fox we get the story of a relatively minor kidnapping caper, but it's built out with some great characters and some real tension. Overall, a lovely little read while we wait for the next novel.
Sasha
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Graphic novel edition of a Peter Grant short story is a good little taster but I prefer the full novels. Art work is good though
Nikki
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m always up for more Abigail! Love her being smart and also intrigued that Guleed got caught up in it. Limited Peter, but still a great and enjoyable story.
victoria.p
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this one a lot, though I thought giving Reynard Wolverine hair and muttonchops was a little ridiculous.
Terra
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The more I read these Peter Grant comics, the more I like them. This one involved Abigail playing innocent while wearing a T-shirt that said “Monday: The Struggle Is Real,” so I’d say that’s an automatic four-star situation.
Shane
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wow, that was surprisingly disappointing. The plot was both convoluted and cliche. Non of the characters got to be very active in their own story, or at least not in a way that ultimately mattered bc of deus ex nightingale. Also the tone just felt really off - assuming I cared about this plot that’s been done so many times it should have felt heavier. The characters should have added their own weight and perspective. Bleh
Aimee
Sated my appetite for Peter Grant while I wait impatiently for Lies Sleeping.
Ben Truong
Rivers of London: Cry Fox is a graphic novel from the Rivers of London or Peter Grant series written by Ben Aaronovitch and Andrew Cartmel and penciled by Lee Sullivan. This installment takes place in-between The Hanging Tree and Lies Sleeping and is best read after the sixth book. Rivers of London: Cry Fox collects all four issues of the 2017–2018 series.

Rivers of London: Cry Fox has newly promoted Detective Constable Peter Grant taking on a kidnapping case with a familiar victim – Anna
Christopher
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Dan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This latest Rivers of London graphic novel may well be my favourite yet.

When the daughter of a Russian oligarch goes missing Grant and Nightingale are called in. Then it turns out that Abigail has gone missing too. With some help from some foxes the Folly realises demi-monde inhabitant Reynard is involved so it must be trouble. Soon, Abigail and Guleed find themselves the prey in a homicidal hunt.

Essentially this volume gives us the classic story "The Most Dangerous Game" and puts it in the
Raj
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This fifth graphic novel of Peter Grant's adventures concerns some posh scum who re-enact the film A Very Dangerous Game for fun (i.e. hunting, but with the prey being humans, not foxes), except they choose Peter's cousin Abigail as their next victim, which goes about as well as you'd expect.

There's some interesting stuff here, including the involvement of Reynard Fossman, who's out for revenge against the Folly, but there's little in the way of development here, either for the characters or for
Ellen
Perfectly acceptable addition to the Rivers of London graphic novel collection. We've pared down to four comics per volume, so the story arcs are getting a little tighter.

Things I liked:
-The panel where Abigail first walks into the "library" filled with only the single book. It is both a little heavy handed but also delightfully ominous.
-The different team-ups in this book! Guleed and Abigail, for example, are fantastic.
-I like that this book uses some of the pre-established character work to
NinjaMuse
In brief: A girl’s kidnapped for ransom, Abigail Kumara is taken with her, and the only witness is a talking fox. Just another day at the Folly. Fifth in a series and tangential to another one.

Thoughts: This is pretty average for the Rivers of London comics. It’s good fun, with a kind of kooky story and over-the-top villains, and nods to both the greater ‘verse and to British lore. Most of the action is Abigail and Guleed, who get to be awesome in the foreground instead of the background for
Andy Hickman
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Rivers of London: Cry Fox
Psycho-sick family who kidnap and hunt young girls like dogs intent on murdering them for sport – Hunger Games style.

Rivers of London: Cry Fox #1
“Psssst. … I need your help.” – Fox
“Help with what?” – Abigail
“There’s someone who needs rescuing. And only you can do it.” - Fox

Rivers of London: Cry Fox #2
“When will she wake up?”
“Oh, she’s been awake for some time. She’s just pretending to be asleep.”

Rivers of London: Cry Fox #3
“When you see sufficient blood, shed in earnest
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The graphic novels continue to be nowhere near as good as the regular novels, but they throw in some added interest, and keeps me in touch with the universe while I wait for Lies Sleeping to come out.

With this one, I like that Abigail gets a bit more page time, but most of the rest of the crew is pretty background for most of the book. And while I enjoy references to The Most Dangerous Game, there's not really anything new or original in its use here.
Mauri
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Uh...this featured Guleed and Abigail, which was great. Unfortunately it also featured Guleed and Abigail being trapped in a "The Most Dangerous Game" scenario (except that they have to be rescued by Peter and co instead of getting out on their own), and a plot that involves two young Black women hunted for sport really doesn't do it for me. Aaronovitch and Cartmel obviously tried to make it about plucky, smart heroines, but apparently they don't know how those work? In general I've noticed ...more
Jen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another quick story that takes place in between the novels. (In this case, post The Hanging Tree and pre whatever's next.) The action takes place some time after "Night Witch" in the Detective Stories graphic novel.

Happy to see that Abigail and Guleed have larger roles in this story, although I was hoping to see more interaction between them during the "chase" portion. It felt like some of the storyline was too rushed, but I tend to feel that way about graphic novels; I suppose I just prefer
Lucy
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reynard Fossman is a very foxlike man, one of the demimonde. He arranges a kidnapping and other crimes to get himself some money.
In addition to the main story, which brings in Peter and Nightingale as well as Peter's niece Abigail, there are the usual, for these graphic novels, one-page snippet stories and some text as well, detailing some of the ways foxes figure in our folklore and myths, mentioning the Japanese kitsune and even Beatrix Potter's Tod.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cry Fox -- Add Cover 3 13 May 04, 2019 06:54PM

• Rivers of London: Water Weed #4
  • The Vinyl Detective - Flip Back: Vinyl Detective
  • The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 9: The Unwritten Fables
  • Likely Stories
  • Doom Patrol, Volume 2: Nada
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Hammer of the Sun (The Winter of the World, #3)
  • The Devil in a Forest
  • Dungeonology (Ologies, #13)
  • Mythras Core Rules
  • Science Fiction Companion (Savage Worlds, S2P10504)
  • Fashion Jungle
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues
  • Victory Disc (The Vinyl Detective #3)
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 4: Leviathan
  • American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London graphic novels (8 books)
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work