Start by marking “Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku

The Power of the Perfect Pick-Up Line: Jane Austen Makes Her Move

Emily Dickinson once famously remarked that if she felt as though the top of her head were taken off, she knew she was reading poetry. And who among us did not read “It is a truth universally acknowledged, …” and feel our heads explode?

Pride and Prejudice’s opening sentence is also the perfect pick-up line. T
Published October 1st 2017 by Nemeton Press

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku

Start your review of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in 61 Haiku
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
So funny. If you know Pride & Prejudice well, you don't even need to read the explanations at the end of the book, as you'll be able to pick up on the scenes and tone of the chapter from each haiku. I'm so grateful to Jamie (Books and Ladders) for sending me this book; she knows me so well!

Not enough Darcy though. Where's my swoon?
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, arc-reviews
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion of the book.

Actual Rating: 4.5*

I should start by saying that I am not a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice. In fact, I am not a fan of Mr. Darcy. At all. Give me a Henry Tilney from Northanger Abbey any day of the week. But reading Pride and Prejudice through Gaynor's poems was a lot more enjoyable than reading the original text. Full review to come on Books and Ladders!
Patrycja
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OK. This is tough one. Because how can I review less than 100 sentences? 😱
This little book is really little, but cute and fun.
I don't think you need to be a fan of Pride and Prejudice to enjoy it.
The idea behind this book is to tell in 1037 syllables, or in 61 Haiku what Pride and Prejudice is about. It is humorous take on the classic.
Author took the first sentence from each chapter of Pride and Prejudice and added his commentaries in haiku. They are often witty and get to the point of the st
Linda
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting twist on an old classic. I found that the short Haiku format did an excellent job at conveying the nub of the text and the sharp wit of Jane Austen's writing. Good if you want a brief reminder of a chapter if you are trying to find a passage or pick up again on thee story after a lengthy break.

I received a complimentary advance copy of this book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Britt, Book Habitue
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
received for review
A gorgeous little book. Very entertaining. I strongly recommend not reading it until you have read Pride and Prejudice itself, as you really want to be familiar with P&P first. After reading the haiku I really want to read P&P again. :)
Kirk
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy from a drawing. I enjoyed reading it!
Patty
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! What a brilliant idea -wish I had thought of it! I so enjoy reading Austen fan fiction but this spin on P&P is brilliant!

This book inspired me to work on a poetry lesson with my ELA teachers, too. I appreciated how #haikujim mapped out his haiku writing method in the back of the book so I adapted the technique for an acrostic poetry lesson for students to write about their favorite novel. We mapped out the plot of their novel in 5-8 points and wrote an acrostic poem us
Amanda
Oh my goodness. I may have to now divide my life into before and after I discovered this gem. You could "read" this book in about 30 minutes, but I made myself read just a few of the haiku at a time. So it lasted about a day. But, it was a fun book!! Each haiku is based on the first line of each chapter of "Pride and Prejudice". If I ever have to abandon my house in a zombie apocalypse situation, this book will have to be allotted some of the space in my backpack of survival gear.

My favorite ha
Robin Kobayashi
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On a whim, I purchased this little haiku book, which turned out to be a real gem, a remarkable feat. With his wit and insight, James W. Gaynor does an excellent job whittling down the plot of P&P into bite size pieces. My favorites tend to be the ones about Mr. Bingley, such as “It took a few days, but Bingley came to Longbourn without his wingman” (see Ch. 55 of P&P), and also the one about Lady Catherine: “An evening spent with Lady Catherine was time forever lost” (see Ch. 29 of P&P). At the ...more
Eliza Cross
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. Honestly, I’m very indifferent to this book. I love pride and prejudice and I thought this was really funny and summed up the story well. But, if you took this separate from the book and had no idea what the book was about, you would be completely lost. I don’t know if that was the purpose of this book but it seemed like it to me. It was a clever idea.
Estance DH
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-quite-good
A good way to sum up the book.
Susannah Greenberg
Lauren
Feb 09, 2018
Heather Layne
Feb 09, 2018

• Love Betrayed (Brothers in Arms, #10)
  • The Forever Knight (The Bronze Knight, #4)
  • Defeated by Love (Brothers in Arms, #11)
  • The Beautifull Cassandra
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • Fight For Love (Brothers in Arms, #12)
  • Mary B: An Untold Story of Pride and Prejudice
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • The Royal's Baby (The Royal's Love, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • The Dragon Mistress: Book 3 (Dragon Mistress #3; The Eburosi Chronicles #10)