Start by marking “Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)” as Want to Read:
Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)

Smoke and Iron

(The Great Library #4)

To save the Great Library, the unforgettable characters from Ink and Bone, Paper and Fire, and Ash and Quill put themselves in danger in the next thrilling adventure in the New York Times bestselling series.

The opening moves of a deadly game have begun. Jess Brightwell has put himself in direct peril, with only his wits and skill to aid him in a game of cat and mouse with
Published July 3rd 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Iron, please sign up.

Start your review of Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
C.G. Drews
So I really absolutely adore this series and this was another excellent one. Also my current emotional state is:

scREEEAMMMINGGG
sCREEEaaamINgggGGGGGGG
SCREEEEEEEEEAMINGgggggg

Which is nice. Wholesome. Everything is fine.

Also before we go on, I had the epic honour of being on the blog tour! So stop by here if you want a snippet of the book and some epic pictures.!! 😏

Now this is going to come as a shock to you but…I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK.
The Great Library series is just one of my favourites (the c
may ➹

Either I’m getting more critical or this series is lowering in quality just slightly?

This book is the fourth installment in the Great Library series, which is a fantasy series I think is EXTREMELY underrated and has been so much fun to follow. It’s got historical yet dystopian vibes, lots of diversity, and a cast of characters you get attached to easily.

But with each new installment I read, I get a little less engrossed in the series? It might be because it’s quite long; there are five
Carrie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Yes folks it’s that time of year again, time for my annual rant and rave for Rachel Caine’s young adult fantasy The Great Library series. For the past four years I have raved about how much I just love this series but I’ve also had to rant away that yet again I now have yet another year to wait until the next book and oh what a long wait it will be. Last year’s rant was a bit more memorable since I’d thought the series was going to be a trilogy but found out we had another cliffhanger and had be ...more
Helena of Eretz ✰
4 books in and I’m still head-over-heels for this series. I absolutely adore it! Having said that, Rachel Caine has consistently been able to wreck me at the end of each instalment…and this one is no exception. I AM DISTRAUGHT!!! I can’t even…AGHHH!

This book picked up right after the cliffhanger in Ash and Quill, and it was full-speed ahead for the duration of the novel. There are so many plots, deceptions, manipulations, and conspiracies as our favourite characters struggle to get the upper-han
Phrynne
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to improve and Smoke and Iron was for me a fast, action packed read.

A huge amount happened in the course of this story and relationships faltered and changed. At the start of the series I did not feel invested in any of the characters but that has changed totally. You have to be careful who you become attached to though because the author is not scared of killing
off quite prominent people!

Smoke and Iron finishes in a very open ended way with major events still hanging in
Evgnossia O'Hara
I just saw on authors instagram page that the 4th book in the Great Library Series comes out on 3rd July, 2018!!! I thought it would be a trilogy but the excitement is real 😍
Maria V. Snyder
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving this series! If you haven't read this series yet, start with Ink and Bone and make sure you have all the rest of the books, 'cause you're going to want to keep reading. I'm worried about the last book, tho! I don't want anything to happen to the characters.
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

This might be the best yet in the series, and I think it was definitely my favorite of the series so far. We come off of the cliffhanger of the next book with everyone in limbo, and the author uses her mighty pen to move and shift all of our players like pieces on a chess board, forcing them towards the huge clash that is destined to happen soon.

We get to read POVs from multiple characters in this one.
Nicole Chinnici
I have been quite impatiently waiting for Smoke and Iron since finishing Ash and Quill over a year ago. And the wait was well worth it!

I’m going to keep this short and sweet to avoid spoilers for any books in this series. This particular installment was highly entertaining, with a fast paced plot that moved along at a nice clip from start to finish. It alternated between each character’s perspective every few chapters, which not only helped to pull the story tight from all angles, but also added
Melindam
Loved this new instalment to The Great Library series and as always it left me wanting to read the next book right away.

This series is simply fascinating. Rachel Caine really knows how to spin a yarn and her characters are both delightfully intriguing and imperfect.

More thoughts & feels after the summer holidays.
Stepheny
The Great Library Series continues. Jess and his twin brother have swapped roles in an attempt to save those they care about most. They’re merely pawns in a giant chess game that they havent even begun to understand. In a world where the written word could very well mean a death sentence, Jess and his band of outcasts have challenged the authority of the Library by manufacturing a printing press.

Smoke and Iron proved to be my least favorite so far in the series. While I still enjoy the books, I
Robin (Bridge Four)
Information is power, I’m a firm believe in that. The Great Library is a world where knowledge is held by a system, in this case The Great Library in Alexandria, and they chose what information is acceptable for the world at large. Printed books on paper are considered contraband and if you are caught with one it could mean your life.

I’ve liked the premise of the series since Ink and Bone, however the series lost a little momentum for me with the next two books in the series. But, I think that w
Alaina
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG - THIS SERIES!

Smoke and Iron was equally amazing at the previous books within this series. So glad that it started off right where the third book ended. If it didn't, then I have no idea what I would be writing about right now because I most definitely would've been confused. Plus, a lot happened in this book - just like all it's previous books in this series. So much happened in this thing, that my mind is still trying to wrap it all together into a bow.

I love certain characters still BUT I
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
What would be like if the Great Library of Alexandria had never burned down? Would all the amazing knowledge that was stored there and now is gone have enriched the world? Just imagine what a different world we could live in today. That is what Rachel Caine has done with The Great Library series. She created a world where the library never burned down and is now a presence in every major city in the world, controlling knowledge. Through alchemy, the library can deliver any of the content in the ...more
Suzanne
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Oh how I cannot wait until May for the final book! I absolutely love this series! It is fast moving with some amazing characters that readers cannot help but root for. The ending of this installment was crazy and a bit unpredictable. There is a heart wrenching moment at the end for readers. So ready for the final book now!

My quick and simple overall: cannot wait for May! 💓
☕️Kimberly
Spoiler Free and Vague Thoughts

Smoke and Iron was suspenseful with nail-biting developments, new automations and great loss. We've got Jess, posing as Brendon, his twin, Morgan is back in the Dark Tower a place she swore she'd never return to and Wolfe being held prisoner in the dungeon. The rest of our crew is aboard a ship manned by Ani. All have a part to play in the game to undermine and remove the archivist from power. Ahhhh.... it was all so stressful!

The story moved from POV to POV, some
Anna's Herding Cats
Oh my gosh! I thought this was just going to be a trilogy! The excitement! It's ridiculous! lol
 Amelia
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018
I think this is the only series with 3 or more books (besides The Hunger Games) that made me give all the books 5 stars. It is just THAT good. The characters, the plot...everything. The quality never wavers.

The amount of action and drama is off the charts. There wasn't a moment of rest for these characters and I just hope all of my babies survive the last book ;_;

I'm gonna keep this short because spoilers and because nothing I say would give it justice so yeah, if you haven't already, I'd reco
Ashley Daviau
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just wows me more and more with each book. The world that Caine has created is just SO stunning and original, I’m instantly transported as soon as I start turning the pages. And I just can’t get enough of this world and these characters, I’d gladly read another 20 books about them! This installment is an absolutely crazy roller coaster ride, from start to finish it’s nonstop action. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, despairing that this band of characters that I’ve so grow ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jess Brightwell and his allies are now in direct danger from the Archivist Magister and his supporters in the Great Library. The world is about to catch fire in all out rebellion and printed words are the spark to ignite the blaze. They'll have to use everything they've got if they want any chance of surviving this fight. It's down to the smugglers, thieves, and Scholars to save all that's still good about the library.

Smoke and Bo
Iris
AJHHGFSGFHJGGHFGDF TOO MANY FEELINGS. I AM NOT OKAY. THE PAIN. THE PAAAAIN. Also I need the next book NOW.

***First Read Review***

This book was utterly fantastic! It was fast paced and spectacular and AHHHHHHHH!!! I absolutely ADORE these characters, and I love this series, and AHHHHHH!!!! This book was one wild ride!

Okay but seriously, I am just complete trash for these characters, and I cannot be made speak about them sensibly! MY HEART!! I LOVE THEM!!!!

Sort of forget what happened in this
Andy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I still love this series! I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not everything could've been wrapped up in this volume, but I guess it will depend on what happens in the next book. I enjoyed the multiple perspectives, but at the end pretty much everyone had a perspective and that was kind of overkill.

Wolfe's perspective in this was probably the least useful. I think his could've easily been cut out so that Morgan's, Jess's and Khalila's perspectives could've been expanded. And it really pain
Anne ✨
There's a lot to like with this series, with its cool world building, diverse cast of characters, and plenty of action. But the series has been inconsistent too, a roller coaster ride alternating between high excitement and low boredom. For me, the first book was great (after a couple of hundred pages), the second book I struggled with, the third book was the best of them all, and now with this fourth book I struggled once again.

When the series is at its best is when the group of teens (Jess, M
Skip
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
Picking up where Ash and Quill left off, Jess has returned to Alexandria, posing as his twin brother Brendan, returning Morgan to the Dark Tower (a place she vowed never to return) and Wolfe to the Library's dungeon. The rest of Jess's crew is aboard a ship manned by Anit, headed back to Alexandria at the behest of her father, Red Ibrahim. This fourth book is narrated by several POVs, as Jess tries to hide his true identity while finding allies (Dario's cousin, Spain's ambassador), Morgan avoidi ...more
Beth
Jess Brightwell comes from a long line of book smugglers. In a world where owning a book is illegal, Jess finds himself a spy in the Great Library He and his group of friends have pitted themselves against the library and archivists that control their world by controlling the access to knowledge (aka all the books).

Get ready for accelerating action when Caine pulls out all the stops in a this the fourth installment in The Great Library series. I found myself sucked into this world wishing it wou
Darinda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, netgalley
The fourth book in The Great Library series by Rachel Caine. Jess and his friends are back, and trying to save the Great Library from evil and corruption.

This story is told using multiple points of view. That is different than in the earlier books, but it works for this one. The characters aren't all in the same location the entire time, and a lot is happening. It was nice to see all of the pieces coming together.

A creative and engaging fantasy world. A great series for fans of young adult fan
Belles
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018
Not a bad book, but I think I'm done with this series. It feels like it's just dragging out.
Jeff
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, can't wait for the final book.
Sammm
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 for 4.5. I CRIED. At the end. Should have seen it coming. In fact, I did, but again, the false sense of security. Urgh. Dunno if I can review this. (Oh and TBH, I actually could see the series ending right at this book lmao. Sure, it'd piss off a lot of people, but at least one jerk is dead and the other ran out of his "throne", so that's good enough for me.)

---

Rants that are not exactly relevant ATM below.
(view spoiler)
Wanda
Rachel Caine is becoming one of my favourite authors! Especially with this series, which offers plenty of twists & turns and lots of characters that you wish could spend time with (after the crisis is over, of course).

I love this whole idea of the Library of Alexandria surviving into modern times and becoming an evil empire! The whole ecosystem of knowledge, with the Library controlling as much as they can, with protest movements like the Book Burners and Ink Lickers, and the criminal smugglers

• The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Mortal Word (The Invisible Library, #5)
  • The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library, #4)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2)
  • The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • The Goldblum Variations
  • The Shadowglass (The Bone Witch, #3)
  • The Wise One (The Scottish Scrolls, 1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Below (North, #1)
  • Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. (Hatter Madigan, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • In the Amber Chamber: Stories

The Great Library (5 books)
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
  • Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2)
  • Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)