Start by marking “Deep Dish” as Want to Read:
Deep Dish

Deep Dish

Deep Dish is one delicious read. Mary Kay Andrews has cooked up a tale y’all will savor to the last bite. ”
—Paula Deen

Battling TV chefs—a handsome Georgia redneck and a struggling young professional woman—find themselves competing for a coveted weekly time slot on national television in Mary Kay Andrews’s delightful New York Times bestseller Deep Dish. The incomparable Ma
Published July 10th 2012 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Dish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Dish

Bark
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fiction
Regina is a 29 year old cooking show host who has worked her butt off to get where she is in life. She's having a lovely affair with her production manager and life is simply perfect. Blech. Fortunately (for me who is bored to tears at this point) it comes tumbling down when he decides to hop in bed with the wife of the show's main sponsor & they can the show. Not too bright of a guy. Now Gina, at the ripe old age of 29, has lost her guy and her show and fears she'll lose her home which she ...more
Lori
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Mary Kay Andrews but this book completely fell flat for me. I never once cared about the two main characters and it seemed like the book went on and on and the "boom" all of the sudden boy loves girl. Um....what??? When did that happen?
It's an ok read, not terrible, but absolutely not worth the $25 hardback price tag!
Kristin Groves
This book was a disappointment compared to other books that I have read by Mary Kay Andrews (Savannah Blues is my favorite). She is, by no means, an author of literature with a "big L", but her novels are generally less generic and predictable. However, it would still fulfill a desire for an easy, light-hearted read and you do get some cooking tips throughout the read and a couple of Ol' Southern Favorite recipies at the end. Maybe the Tomato Soup Cake recipe will improve my rating.
Nancy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be a fun read for anyone who enjoys the Food Network / cooking shows.
Ani
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

This is one of my favorite Mary Kay Andrews books. I feel like with this book she went back to her original format of the sassy, southern gal though involved in turmoil is surrounded by a vivid array of characters who will help her get out of her funk.

Plus it's all about food! Though I wish the main character who is a chef would have eaten a bit more often. I understood that since she works in the food business she probably gets tired of sampling all the time. Though I doubt I would be.

Funny an
Julie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library, 2017
Funny story.....not rocket science, but then I knew that going in
Adam
May 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post listen review: Not the best and not the worst of the lame romances that I have been forced to listen to. It's really hard to go through all the audiobooks in the library without getting a LOT of romance in there.

Here is the plot such as it is. Two chefs are in competition to become the next star of The Cooking Channel (because the name the Food Network was already taken). One is a woman who has just had her heart broken by her scumbag producer that cheated on her and lost her the sponsor o
Paul Pessolano
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must start off with the fact that Mary Kay Andrews, aka Kathy Hogan Trochek, is one of my favorite authors. She writes about the South, and primarily southern Georgia. Her books are delightful reads that the reader can lose themselves in. They are easy reads that combine southern living and traditions, interspersed with some laughter, and maybe a little mystery.

"Deep Dish" tells the story of Gina Foxton who is the star of a cooking show, Fresh Start, in Atlanta. She discovers her show is being
Robin (ReadItRobi)
Fluffy fun chick lit. I take issue with the man and woman falling so quickly in "love", c'mon, can't he just say he's interested in her? Noooo...after a couple weeks of a completely antagonistic relationship, he's in love. C'mon, that's not real. It's so bad, it's not even good fiction!

The "Next Food Network Star" type plot device made for a fun backdrop, but feels hackneyed as all the characters view a cooking show contest as new and innovative. Maybe if it were 1998 not 2008 it would be.

A fun
Amara
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and fluffy, this is Mary Kay Andrews at her best. Nothing serious, some slapstick humor, and a romance between two protagonists that originally can't stand each other. Plus the southern cooking hook? I had a good time. This ain't literature, and people are checking out each other's bodies, so if that bothers you I'm not recommending it. But I don't remember skipping any parts so there is that.
Elizabeth
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delicious is a great way to describe this book. I enjoyed it, it was a fun book to read.
Janet Martin
Not her best, but still a mostly fun romance
Terri
I had much higher hopes. And I have a huge problem with D'John's video at the end.
78sunny
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mutti
Das Cover hat mich gleich angesprochen. Es sah nach einem schönen Contemporary-Geschichte aus. Ich wurde auch nicht enttäuscht. Das Cover hat mit dem Inhalt des Buches zu tun, da wir es hier mit Essen bzw. Kochen zu tun haben. Ich finde das Cover wurde wunderbar arrangiert und ich finde die Farben sehr harmonisch und ansprechend.

Inhaltlich geht es um Gina, die eine erfolgreiche Kochshow hat. Sie hat einen Freund/Partner, der gleichzeitig auch eine Art Manager für sie ist. Leider bemerkt sie ers
Gail Cooke
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be a foodie to enjoy this lightly romantic, often laughable look behind the scenes at a television cooking show. Couldn't be more contemporary although, of course, fictionalized by the busy pen of Mary Kay Andrews (Blue Christmas, Hissy Fit, Little Bitty Lies, etc). Fans know that she delivers on-target often tongue-in-cheek looks at her characters and situations - fun listening and reading!

I thoroughly enjoyed Isabel Keating's narration of "Hissy Fit" and wrote, "...is a fun,
Kristen
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was highly impressed by this novel, and also by how much I was invested in their lives by the middle of it. By the end, all I could think about was how I didn't want to finish the book because I didn't want it to end.
My only complaint about the whole book is that I didn't feel Gina and Tate were developed enough. Yeah, we know what their physical appearances are, but I wanted to know more about Gina, so that I could put myself a little more in her place and relate to her.

When I first started
May
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: food tv fans, set in the south fiction fans
The whole set up - A battle of the sexes between two southern cooking show hosts, and the way we're shown how they're SO compatable if only they'll simmer down and see... well it had my hopes exceptionally high that this could be "the one". The next favorite added to my all-time best list.

I made my guess as to what would happen, it did EXACTLY. So predictability is high here, but that wasn't the problem for me. I wanted it to go where it did, that was fine.

The problem is that the book doesn't
Alexis
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-books-in-2014
Eh. I probably won't be reading anymore of her books. While I appreciated the easiness of this read I disliked every single character in the book. They were all whiny, immature or just vapid. That's a lie. I liked Moonpie, the English Setter. He reminded me of one of my dogs and showed more personality than his owner, Tate Moody. I was also put off by the obnoxious "dialect" (and I use that term loosely) the author used for her characters. "Daggunnit" is not a word many southerners spout out and ...more
Iowa City Public Library
I enjoy Mary Kay Andrews books. They are set in the South, have quirky but lovable characters, and are funny. My brain doesn’t have to work very hard when I’m reading a Mary Kay Andrews book, and some days that’s just what I need. Andrews takes a break from the BeBe/Weezie stories and cooks up a "dish" that will make fans of television cooking shows smile.

Gina Foxton is the host of the regional cooking show Fresh Start. There is a strong regional following for the show and it catches the attent
Nadeen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-read
Let me start with a disclaimer: i don't mind a predictable plot if there are other elements that make a book more ...

Because I had fun listening to Savannah Blues, I put this one in my audio queue. After the first 10 minutes, I knew where it was headed and how it would end. It was a fun listen - a slight book,an audio book equivalent of a bathtub book, so I gave it two stars and held myself back from tossing it over the side of a row boat.. The plot- there was one- was supported by characters w
Allison Severson
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Love her books. Funny, light, a perfect addition to your beach bag or when you want a really light read, a total chick-flick. Also love that most are culturally situated in the south. Can't wait to go to Savannah someday, as Savannah Breeze and Savannah Blues have me intrigued. This is the story of two small-time TV-chefs, who get the chance to compete for a spot on a bigger network. She always includes southern recipes after the epilogue, though I've never tried them.
Meredith
Cute. Reality cooking show with some romance. Fun and foodie, and who cares if it was realistic. Good for housework-listening.

Abridged audio, read by Isabel Keating, who I thought made a Southern gay black man sound like Rosie Perez, and had other interesting takes on character dialect, but was good in straight narration/main female parts, and she's been a finalist for an Audie so what do I know.
Jo
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It's a bit different from the usual design and antiquing books she writes. This is a perfect book for any reality TV fans. You will pick up some good cooking tips, too. Once again, I fell in love with Moonpie the dog. He's my favorite! Stranded on a island was a page turner for me. Great book to read and relax.
Katherine
This author's works continue to delight me and make me laugh! The story and characters were entertaining and I enjoyed all the humorous parts and plot twists. I would have rated it higher had it not contained so much swearing. It wasn't really needed to tell the story well, so I found it distracting.
Christina
Apr 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Not my favorite book of hers (hard to compete with the Savannah series) but a good read overall. I didn't give it a four because about halfway in it started to ramble and I wondered how an editor could have helped it out a little. Of course, I'd still like to meet the "Tatester" in person!!
Debra
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least favorite of her books, this one is more a romantic caper set in the world of food tv and reality shows. Light, quick, enjoyable....if it wasn't so big it would be a good beach book.
Carmela
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't have anything against this book, but reading it after The Glass Castle and before Atonement, I couldn't really get past the "fan fiction"-ness of it. Natty Lite? "I Love You" out of the blue? It was fun to read about what they cooked, but I think I like a meatier book :)
Carrie
From the very beginning, I knew what would happen and who would end up together, BUT it was so cute and fun to read anyway! This is a perfect book to read when you want to take your mind off of other stuff and just escape...I love these kinds of cutesy books when I'm in the mood for them.
Kerry
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, cute story with fun southern details and characters. I have a hard time giving chick lit more than a 3. This one is around 3.5 for me.
Goodreads Librari...: Add version 2 14 May 09, 2018 01:36PM
  • Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)
  • Bulls Island
  • Some Nerve
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • The Hot Flash Club Chills Out
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • Revenge of the Kudzu Debutantes (Kudzu Debutantes, #1)
Mary Kay Andrews is the pen name of American writer Kathy Hogan Trocheck, based in Atlanta, who has authored a number of best-selling books under the Andrews pen name since 2002.

Trochek graduated from the University of Georgia with a journalism degree in 1976. She worked as a reporter at a number of papers, and spent 11 years as a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before leaving to wri