Start by marking “Fantastically Great Women Who Made History” as Want to Read:
Fantastically Great Women Who Made History

Fantastically Great Women Who Made History

Published February 8th 2018 by Bloomsbury Childrens Books

To ask other readers questions about Fantastically Great Women Who Made History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastically Great Women Who Made History

Start your review of Fantastically Great Women Who Made History
Greyson Richter | Use Your Words
To make history you need to be brave, bold and believe in yourself—just like the women in this book. They lived in times when women weren't expected to have big ideas, be in charge or to have exciting ambitions—but that didn't stop them. Their extraordinary deeds and words didn't just make history, the helped to shape the way we live today.

This is a fantastic little book to introduce women's history to children. Each entry is short enough that a parent could easily include it in their childre
Kristina
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I imagine my future little girls reading <3

The illustrations are more than amazing and they add so much to the actual stories of the fantastically great women mentioned. Each of them unique and quirky in her own way!

Key words: Inspiration, Motivation, Girl Power
Tamsin
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this book as it inspires and educates readers 'to be brave, bold and believe in yourself - just like the women in this book.' A message for us all.

Each women has their own unique, inspiring story. I especially enjoyed the detailed double-page layout, full of wonderful, colourful illustrations and useful information on each of the 14 women. While reading this, however, I realised I haven't come across most of these women before, it is interesting how women like the ones in this book, are
Sarah Gerard
A fantastic book for educating young people on who these women are and what they did. Each page is bright and immediately engaging, and explains what they did simply and quickly. Lots of speech bubbles and clever images to make the book more visually appealing.
Sophie
I read this with my 5 year old sister and we were both transported back in time learning about all these awesome women, from Noor Inayat Khan to Valentina Tereshkova, Sayyida al-Hurra to Ada Lovelace and many others. The illustrations are wonderful and the way these women's stories are told is succinct, engaging and entertaining. And I loved the final page of the book where we are given a quick recap of them all and it finishes with How will you make history?

We are both seriously inspired. Since we fin
Robin Stevens
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A completely charming and beautifully-created book that celebrates some fantastic female heroes. (5+)

Scott Evans (MrEPrimary)
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'More than that of a bedtime book, more than that of a story-time book, even more than that of just a non-fiction or information book; this is an anytime-of-the-day book... that succeeds yet again in capturing not only the imagination but also the inspiration of a generation!'

I'm absolutely delighted that this hugely-successful series - written by the supremely talented Kate Pankhurst - is back especially after the success of its first, Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World which became the numb
Sophie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Brilliant book highlighting important women and their contributions through history.
Could use this with upper KS2 to create fact files/ biographies or to inspire their own research of a historical figure.
Ella
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and informative book about 14 women who, throughout history, have made a big difference because of their own determination and bravery. The book is set out very well so that each page is different meaning it is engaging for children. The stories are also written so that they only include the key points which helps to avoid children from losing interest. Many of the illustrations around the page have speech bubbles which help to tell the stories in a fun way.
Jackie O'sullivan
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Sketchy details and some serious glossing over of unsavoury bits. Definitely intended for the very young and for older girls would equate to a form of "Lies to Children" according to Terry Pratchett. So simplified it only hints at the real truth. Probably a good way in toboost self esteem and allow girls to dream high
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Beautiful illustrations but some inaccuracies and over simplifying in the historical details. The pages on Ada Lovelace and Mary Shelley were the best.
Elise
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary= The stories of of extraordinary women from around the world who have helped shape history/ life as we know it today

Themes= Feminism/ inspiration

My thoughts=
-I like the interactive nature of the book (e.g. the 'follow the X to learn about' part of each page) because I think that it mirrors the message of the book. This book is (sadly) rather novel in that it explores females who have changed history (instead of males) and I think the way the text is presente
Andy Hickman
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Fantastically Great Women Who Made History by Kate Pankhurst

Cleverly illustrated book of 14 significant women including Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley.

“To make history you need to be brave, bold and believe in yourself—just like the women in this book. They lived in times when women weren't expected to have big ideas, be in charge or to have exciting ambitions—but that didn't stop them. Their extraordinary deeds and words didn't just make history, the helped to shap
Loz Mallett
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A celebration of extraordinary women from around the world & how their remarkable lives marched them into our history books.
...
Or rather, didn't. There was quite a lot of women in this picture book that I'd never heard of! So if this book not only boisters the current feminist movement within children's literature, but also teaches old & young alike, than that is a fantastically great achievement in itself.
Some of the women here I had heard of or researched, but if ther
Steph
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing informative little gem which informed me about various women, several unknown to me prior or mentioned simply in passing. Be warned though, this is not a traditional, simple read the words book, it is one you explore and journey through, with each read there will be some clever little chime which was previously overlooked. The last page has a beautiful little artwork summarizing their accomplishments on a bookshelf. I might buy an additional copy just to have it displayed. A unique bo ...more
Ellie Abrey
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great factual book that is made concise and simple enough for young children to read and understand. The layout of this is very good, grasping the reader by making the text fun and enjoyable (it feels like it isn't history to the child).
I particularly liked that there were characters from many cultures and origins, making it more identifiable for the majority of children. This serves thw purpose of the book in motivating children to achieve the best of their ability.
Kirsti
I'm glad to see that Pankhurst's new book has a larger trim size than the earlier one in the series, so the illustrations are larger. Great to read about familiar heroes (Harriet Tubman, Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell, Hatshepsut) and learn about some who are new to me (Noor Inayat Khan, Sayyida al-Hurra, Flora Drummond).

"Once you've been in space you appreciate how small and fragile the Earth is." --Valentina Tereshkova
Cloe Buswell
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is brilliant for supporting children's knowledge and understanding of historically famous figures in both the history and science curriculum. This book was used within a whole school assembly to celebrate International Women's Day, though this book may seem sexist and unequal I would use the text in correlation with successful and historic male figures to establish equality within the classroom.
Zoe Hickey
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing journey back in time to meet some female figures who have influenced great inventions such as the computer. It also discusses the lives of women who helped to change laws and abolish slavery. Thoroughly enjoyed all of the illustrations and the creative layout of each page.
Bookwormandtheatremouse
A sequel to the wonderful 'Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World' - this book has some slightly less well known heroines who have impacted the world we live in. This one is just as wonderful as its predecessor and a lovely way to be introduced to some great women
Shahrun
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really beautifully illustrated collection of inspiring women, with a succinct summary of their achievements. I’m an adult and I learnt loads from reading this book. I plan to read up more about these amazing women.
L.J.
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring with such brilliant illustrations!
theresa &#x1f338;&#x1f951;
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
slowly getting out of my reading slump.
Jaimie Morris
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book, it not only educated me on each women’s unique story but has an inspirational message, which is to be brave and believe in your own capabilities.
Rebecca Gale
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say - simply fantastic. Bright, colourful and interesting. Brilliant mixture of women from all historic eras, all cultures and all walks of life.
Louise
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically great little book
Vanessa
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly adorable illustrations and very informative too. Definitely going to read more about the women featured
Kate
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to some important women in history. Only covers the very basics but is a great starting point.
Kym
Fantastically colourful and animated book! Each page is engaging and fresh in its own, lively way. The stories of these famous women of our history are lovingly presented to young children in order to awe, inspire and inform :)
Olivia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
- Motivational story for all young children.
- The dictionary at the back of the book is a great learning tool for introducing children to new words.
- Shows children that it doesnt matter who they are or where they come from that they can be whoever they want to be.

• Beegu
  • Room on the Broom
  • Odd Dog Out
  • Leaf
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • The Gruffalo's Child
Kate Pankhurst is a British writer and illustrator, known for a series of children's picture books. She won second place in the 2002 Macmillan Prize for Picture Book Illustration.