Start by marking “Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)” as Want to Read:
Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)

Caught by Surprise

(Apart from the Crowd #3)

Published July 31st 2018 by Bethany House Publishers (first published July 2018)

Start your review of Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“After years of hiding her true nature, Miss Temperance Flowerdew is finally enjoying freedom outside of the shadow of her relations, so the last thing she expected on her way to work was to be grabbed off the street by a stranger and put on a train bound for Chicago.
When Mr. Gilbert Cavendish is called upon to rescue a missing woman, he follows the trail to Chicago only to discover that the woman is his good friend, Temperance. Before they can discover who was behind her abduc
Melissa
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely delightful book! Filled from cover to cover with humor, adventure, mystery, and romance. I loved Temperance, I think she was my favorite of the wallflowers, although I loved the others when I was reading their stories. The conclusion was a bit far-fetched, but that really didn't matter. I just enjoyed the entire ride.
Honestly, I'm not a big historical romance fan, it takes a stellar book to catch my fancy and this one did the trick. Overall a fun read--I definitely recommend r
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Today we're saying farewell to a series that will always hold a special place in my heart!

We met the wallflowers back in 2017, though it seems like we've known them forever. They had this way of worming into your heart, and never letting go. I was so invested in these characters and now it’s come to close. I don’t know how to feel, or what to say for that matter.

Let me explain why I loved this series so much!
This series reminded me that EVERYONE has a special someone out there. Someone who will
Melissa
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of the best and funniest books I have read this year. Caught By Surprise caught me by surprise by making my heart smile. I ADORED the characters of Temperance and Gilbert and I loved their relationship dynamic. Their witty banter was a hoot!! Add in a dose of mystery and this made for a PERFECT book. Caught By Surprise is one of my favorite reads ever!

I received this book from the author and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.
Kellyn Roth
3 stars? 2.5? IDK.

I honestly don't know why this book went on so long. The first 25% was awesome, but I assumed at that point that I was at about 50%. That would've been ideal. But no ... it kept going on. I was so ready for it to resolve at that point. To move towards the climax. But no. There was still 75% to go!

So after about 50%, I had to skim. I just had to. Boring!

It was clever, but there's a point where that sort of clever gets ... boring. xD And repetitive. I think I'm done with Turano -
Rachael
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly wonderful, fun, and laugh out loud enjoyable read. I think this might be my favorite by this author, though the pig Matilda still gives it a run for its money( quite literally, actually). :)

The main characters and secondary characters are just so fun. Due to the crazy life I lead, I so enjoyed this series. We are all a little ridiculous at times, and I, at least, love having fun. This author’s books are so unique in their humor, fun in their plots, and characters that sometimes closel
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
*** 4.5 stars***

Jen Turano is a master at creating stories with great plots, humor, eccentric characters, and romance. Oh my goodness, it was hard to put this book down!

From the moment that Temperance Flowerdew is kidnapped and awakens in a coffin, traveling by train, you know that you are in for a unique and amazing read. Temperance has a fantastic outlook on life and gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. She is spontaneous, artistic, and a great friend.

Gilbert, her friend since childhood, i
Tia
I'm hesitant about ever giving 5 stars, but this book kept me guessing and smiling. The intrigue, mystery and endearing moments are deserving. Caught by Surprise just might be my favorite of the three. There's so much going on in this one and so many of the characters are fantastic. I love books about camraderie, childhood friendships and community. I liked how the two sisters and Mrs. Devenport looked after the girls and the trusty Mr. (the butler). I especially enjoy how faith and things worki ...more
Staci
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love that this series is about a trio of wallflowers. Caught by Surprise has an incredibly charming beginning. I got a little worn about with the repeated marriage proposals and refusals, but overall another fun read by Jen Turano.
Beth Erin
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

Caught by Surprise is a wildly appealing story of love and laughter for ladies everywhere. The longtime friendship between our hero and heroine is a solid foundation for robust banter and exasperated declarations.

Jen Turano’s delightful characters, humorous shenanigans, and sweet subtle romance entertain and inspire with sincerity and faith. I highly recommend this story for everyone from teens to the young at heart.

I received a complimentary copy of this book
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
“How is it possible I forgot what an interesting place your mind is?”

Rounding out this series of wallflowers who find their own voice - and a happily-ever-after in the process - is Caught By Surprise and we finally get Temperance's story. And what a story it is! In fact, it's almost like Turano pulled out all the stops for this final book of the series and threw in several tropes at once. Friends-to-more. Impending marriage-of-convenience. Destitute, orphaned heiress. Noble hero. Mistaken identi
Susan Snodgrass
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'You're not going to shoot your relatives. You don't have the stomach for that nasty business.'

I am absolutely a forever fan of Jen Turano's work! When I read her first book, I was just captivated. She has the most wonderful and dry sense of humor, which is evident in abundance in her books. This sense of humor will have you rolling in the floor laughing. I have honestly laughed so much reading one of her books, it scared my dog, who was sitting with me in the chair. He got up and left. Seriousl
Joleen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, tn-reads
There were parts of this book that were fun, but much of it is similar to the others in this series. The personalities of the heroes and heroines in each book seem to be so very similar, only the storyline changes.

The romance is vertually non-existent until near the end, but the friendship between Temperance and Gilbert is interesting with plenty of lighthearted bantering.

Characters from all 4 books in the series are included in this one, and a few more.

Temperance Flowerdew and Gilbert Cavendi
Kav
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outrageously funny! Sometimes a reader just needs a touch of whimsy and chaos that she can laugh her way through and that's what Jen Turano delivers in Caught by Surprise. From the giggle inducing character names to Miss Snook's School for the Education of the Feminine Mind...I mean...if that doesn't have you snorting with glee, I don't know what will!

Sublime dialogue -- honestly, the banter between Temperance and Gilbert made me giddy. They grew up together so all that history brings familiarit
Lynda Edwards
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper-shelf
Jen Turano is a talented author that I have greatly enjoyed in the past. Despite missing two earlier books in this series, I still eagerly began turning the pages of this novel as soon as it was in my hands. Within the first ten pages, I was already laughing out loud, firmly hooked and immersed in Temperance's delightful escapades.

Part of the charm of Turano’s work is her quirky and often stubborn heroines. Temperance is no different. She has many talents and a fun-loving nature, but calling he
Paula Shreckhise
From the decidedly quirky mind of Jen Turano comes the third in the series Apart From The Crowd about three wallflowers in 1883 New York: Permilia Grizwold, Gertrude Cadwalader, and Temperance Flowerdew. The names alone give you a clue into the madcap misbehavings of her heroines. Page after page of laughter meet you as you read of Temperance being kidnapped from New York City on her way to teach at Miss Snook’s School for the Education of the Feminine Mind. She finds herself carted off to Chica ...more
Anne
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I have enjoyed most about Caught by Surprise is the fact that Temperance and Gilbert have been friends since childhood. Sharing a mutual respect and admiration for one another that is evident in their words and actions, their genuine love for each other was deeply felt by this reader and it stirred my emotions time and again. The quips exchanged between the two brought forth more than one audible chuckle, and perhaps an actual guffaw or two. ;-)

Turano has a natural ability when
Rachel
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I have learned to expect from Jen Turano's well written books, this historical Christian romance novel was full of interesting characters and hilarious moments. Like the first book in this series, Behind the Scenes, but not the second one, Out of the Ordinary, this third (and last) book of the Apart from the Crowd series had a large thread of suspense in it. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the plot and the character development in this funny, sweet story, and I wish this series wasn't finished. ...more
Kelly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cute story but felt like it dragged more than the others. Then all the sudden, a bunch of stuff all happens at the end.
Melony
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a well-known fact that when a Jen Turano book shows up on my kindle or in my mailbox I drop everything and hide away to read it and woe betide anyone who tries to take said book away from me. (Just kidding, mostly)

Oh, my goodness, Caught by Surprise is my new favorite! Temperance is one of my favorite characters in this series, she is determined to reclaim her former feisty self, and I think it is something I can relate to. As you get older, and life wears you down, you sometimes have to r
Nancy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I enjoyed the humor in this book. The dialogue was filled with wittiness! The characters would be in dangerous situations and randomly begin talking about something making the scene quite humorous in my opinion. The book has the mystery and danger component to it and will until the end. Honestly, I was a little surprised! But shh! Read it and see if you can figure out the mystery and have a few laughs along the way! I so enjoyed how Gertrude found her voice with Gilbert. Watching their jo ...more
Megan
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fun, fast novel from Jen Turano!

Since I read A Change of Fortune, Jen’s first book, I’ve been a huge fan. I love the characters she creates and especially the female friendships that are a central point of all the plots. The camaraderie between friends is true and heartwarming.

Whenever I want to read a fun, fast, well-written story, I know that a Jen Turano book will deliver. Caught by Surprise did not disappoint. As usual, there were twists and turns that made for laugh-out-loud readin
BlueJeansAndTeacups
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC – TOO MANY ADJECTIVES TO LIST!
With some despair, I write this is the final book in the series. I believe it is Jen Turano’s best book yet! I had so many emotions. I was completely hooked from the page one kidnapping of Miss Temperance Flowerdew (Jen does have a way with names) in 1883 – New York.
She is whisked off to Chicago by two bumbling criminals.
Ch. 2 They were sitting at a small table covered in fine linen, slurping their way through steaming cups of tea held in delicate chin
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Have you ever had an author that you know you are going to love their book when it releases, and you tend to just look at the book for awhile before finally picking it up and diving in? But then you don't want to read it too fast becuase then it will be over, and you'll have a huge book hangover and will be anxiously awaiting the next release to come out. So instead you try to read it slow, so you can savor each word, each scene, and each character. Let me just say that this is my intent going i ...more
Paula
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved this book. I am recuperating from surgery and staying with a friend. Every time I laughed out loud, which I did often. my friend would ask what I was reading. Miss Temperance Flowerdew is on her way to work when a stranger suddenly grabs her off the street and sends her on a Chicago-bound train before she can figure out what happened. When Mr. Gilbert Cavendish follows the trail to Chicago he discovers that the woman is his good friend Temperance and soon they're seen alone togeth ...more
Andi
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: empty-shelf-2018
I have been a huge fan of Jen Turano since I read and reviewed her first book A Change of Fortune. With each book the cast of characters are more delightful, entertaining, and will put you in a fit of stitches.

I don't usually find others predicaments funny, like getting snatched off the street, but since these were characters and not real it was perfectly appropriate to laugh, and I mean laugh out loud. Which I did a lot of.

One of the fun things about series is that we get to catch up with chara
Judy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caught by Surprise by Jen Turano
Apart from the Crowd Series Book Three
Miss Temperance Flowerdew had forgotten how she used to love life and live it to the fullest. As a child, she would get into all kinds of trouble with her best friend, Gilbert. Then, her parents died, their fortune was gone, and she became a poor relative to distant cousins who treated her as their servant. But once she reunited with Gilbert at a party...the old Temperance came back. So did trouble.

Mr. Gilbert Cavendish was a
Sarah Ruut
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best light-hearted fun!

Earlier in the Apart From the Crowd series, we met a very quiet Miss Temperance. However, circumstances have changed and she has found her true self again, much to the delight of her childhood friend, Gilbert. Trouble seems to cling to Temperance, and the crazy situations she finds herself in will keep you laughing throughout the story.

The cast of characters in this series contributes to the humor with their sometimes outlandish ideas and behaviors. You won't f
Julie Barrett
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Caught by surprise by Jen Turano
Thought from the summary of this book it was not one I'd be enjoying, thinking of abduction and things smilar to SVU from tv shows.
I was totally wrong and this is a fun read. Temperance is abducted and Gilbert is the one to find her-in Chicago. She tells him of her ordeal, her old time friend who they grew up together.
Just when you think the Pinkerton man has found the culprits other clues come into play. and just when you think it's been solved again, MORE clues
Suzie Waltner
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the great things about a Jen Turano book is the smiles and laughs it elicits while reading. In Caught by Surprise, the third and final installment of the Apart from the Crowd series, Turano’s trademark humor is alive and well from the first pages to the last.

Temperance Flowerdew is a free spirit, independent woman with the heart on an artist. Gilbert Cavendish is a man who always has a plan…and a list..and sometimes a graph. Despite their childhood friendship, these two characters are com
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Synopsis in Spanish // Sinopsis en Español 1 1 Nov 10, 2017 05:19PM

• More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
  • The Best of Intentions (Canadian Crossings, #1)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • A Daring Venture (Empire State, #2)
  • A Return of Devotion (Haven Manor, #2)
  • The Lieutenant's Bargain (Fort Reno, #2)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • Holding the Fort (Fort Reno, #1)
  • A Desperate Hope (Empire State, #3)
  • Miss Serena's Secret (Regency Brides: A Promise of Hope, #2)
  • Searching for You (Orphan Train, #3)
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
  • A Search for Refuge (Haven Manor, #0.5)
  • A Reluctant Bride (The Bride Ships, #1)

Named One of the Funniest Voices in Inspirational Romance by Booklist, Jen Turano is a USA Today Best-Selling Author, known for penning quirky historical romances set in the Gilded Age. Her books have earned Publisher Weekly and Booklist starred reviews, top picks from Romantic Times, and praise from Library Journal. She’s been a finalist twice for the RT Reviewers’ Choice Awards and had two of he

Apart from the Crowd (3 books)
  • Behind the Scenes (Apart from the Crowd, #1)
  • Out of the Ordinary (Apart From the Crowd, #2)