Start by marking “Strutting and Fretting” as Want to Read:
Strutting and Fretting

Strutting and Fretting

"At the forefront of all the serious new fiction released this year." - Midwest Book Review

Got reservations? Noncommittal Bob does - about his life. And his wife has left him. And he's broke. Party!

School's over, and Bob has landed an acting job at a major repertory theatre on the California coast. But instead of relishing his success, Bob is preoccupied with doubts about
Published August 4th 2017 by Kevin McKeon

To ask other readers questions about Strutting and Fretting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strutting and Fretting

Start your review of Strutting and Fretting
Alex (Briennai)
Bob is on a journey to find himself, after graduating with an acting degree and having his wife leave him. He lands a four-month theater job in California, but he still continues to doubt his decisions and talents. Nevertheless, he needs the money, and takes the plunge.

I could not connect with Bob at all. Even though it is considered to be bad for Bob's wife to leave him, he admits that he never loved her later in the novel. This doesn't make it right, but it does say that he wasn't being the
Amanda
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I love theatre and the people who work in it, so I wanted to love this, but it left me a little underwhelmed. The characters are great, and the dialogue is fun, but there wasn't quite enough plot for me. It felt a bit like watching a poorly edited reality show about struggling actors most of the time. There is definite potential, but it left me wanting more.
Kirstin
Bob is on a quest to figure out what he did wrong and why his life isn't what he thought it would be. He takes a journey that, while fun at times, is somewhat dry. This book didn't keep my interest like I had hoped it would. I liked it okay, but was hoping for a little bit of laughter like I was promised in the blurb. The writing flowed, the characters were good, it just lacked that excitement that made me not want to put it down.
Julius Blitzy
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a very well-known opinion that says: ‘our greatest enemy and obstacle is none other than ourselves’. When you analyze that, it’s right, you are your biggest critic and only you can push yourself harder than anyone else, we can only be at peace with ourselves when we finally acknowledge our limitations.
A young man fighting his insecurities, his whole world is falling apart, he set a goal but is not sure if he can reach to that goal, you can easily relate to him not only if you have the
Scott
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll feel for Bob

Strutting and Fretting by Kevin McKeon is set in the late 70s early 80s and features Bob. A 25 year old actor as he comes to grips with his coming divorce and learns to move on. Bob gets a summer gig with an acting company at a community college in California after finishing his MFA. He spends the summer with friends, potential love interests and himself as he learns to be a more authentic person.

I enjoyed the character development in Strutting and Fretting as well as the pace
Pam Flynn
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun and fast moving read about regional theatre & the characters involved in this quickly disappearing medium. Twenty somethings filled these pages with their adventures & lives & give the reader an inside look at a struggling, low self esteem actor who just might, if the stars align, make it big someday.
Amy Ingalls
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a giveaway. It was an interesting look at the world of summer theatre. I liked the intimate look that we got inside of Bob's head. I liked Gina's visit and how that situation was resolved. The ending is open, but I didn't mind in this case. It allows the reader to picture the endong that they think Bob will end up with.
Norman Coe
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know anything about the theatre scene, but I enjoyed this book. Lots of laughs and interesting people.
Barb VanderWel
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i just got this in the mail & thanks
Sangeeta
rated it it was ok
May 18, 2018
Cristie Underwood
I enjoyed reading about Bob's journey throughout the 70s and 80s. The author kept a good pace when writing about his struggles and triumphs during each period.
Dianne Hurley
rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2018
Dora Okeyo
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a trip! I enjoyed reading this book, and it's not just because it captures Bob's life in the 70s and 80s, it felt so real and relatable, who knew uh? Thanks NetGalley for the eARC.
PS: After reading the book, can I just add that the title suits the story!
KarnagesMistress
Dec 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is autographed.
Lavender
Mar 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, kindle, own
Placeholder

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways.
Frederick Rotzien
Brooke
Phyllis Krall
Leslie Kroger
Oct 26, 2017
Kevin McKeon has adapted many books for performance on stage, including Anne Tyler's Breathing Lessons, Dinaw Mengestu's The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears and Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. His adaptation of David Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars has been performed at many theaters across the United States, including Portland Center Stage, Centerstage Baltimore, Hartford Stage and ...more