Start by marking “The 13th Witch (The King's Watch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 13th Witch (The King's Watch, #1)

The 13th Witch

(The King's Watch #1)

Ever had a text from a deity?
Conrad Clarke did.

Someone has plans for Conrad, and those plans don’t involve an easy life.

Conrad Clarke, former RAF pilot and alleged gangster is dragged out of his comfort zone by a visit from The Allfather.

Norse gods in twenty-first century England?
Don’t be silly. Load of nonsense.

B
Published October 25th 2017 by Paw Press

To ask other readers questions about The 13th Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13th Witch

Renee Guill
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Truthfully, I'm not even sure where to begin. I was literally blown away with this novel. Some of the concepts were just mind boggling, a why didn't I think of that kind of mind boggling. It does help to know your mythology and fairy tales, but make sure you have an open mind, cause this is a whole new take on them. I loved how descriptive Mark Hayden was. In fact, if you get queezy easily you might have a bit of trouble. I loved how you were never quite sure who the good guys were. I usually ha ...more
Julie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thriller with fantasy elements, a mystery with a magical twist; this book is all these things and more. This is the first tale in a series where an established hero from another setting discovers that he is capable of more than courageous cunning, even if that has kept him alive so far. It is quite a cheeky book, as it gently overlaps with a certain series where a boy discovers his magical abilities, and sets out the adult realities, responsibilities and dangers of a hidden world. Dramatic eve ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Fantasy is not usually my genre of choice but I am hoping to broaden my horizons by delving more into this genre which is why I gave this one a shot! I was surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it and actually loved it!

This book has it all witches, dwarfs, giant moles, magic and more! Absolutely loved it I was right beside Conrad all the way and taken on a rather unusual adventure. However, I must admit I had to research some words at the beginning! Its a great start to the trilogy
ian sherry
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great read. Just bought the second book and looking forward to further books about Conrad and his new career,pity he's an airman but that's just my military bias showing. Conrad is a great character.
Lainy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Time taken to read - in and out over 2 days

Pages - 253

Publisher - Paw Press

Source - Review Copy

Blurb from Goodreads

Ever had a text from a deity?
Conrad Clarke did.

Someone has plans for Conrad, and those plans don’t involve an easy life.

Norse gods in twenty-first century England?
Don’t be silly. Load of nonse
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy Fantasy worlds with lots of intriguing characters and a fun and quick paced plot, you’ll adore this! Harry Potter fans will adore this story, and with a gorgeous cover over it, it’s the perfect addition to any Fantasy and/or YA fans bookshelf!

I loved the variety of characters and personalities that the Author brought into play. Each had their own distinct person, not two were alike in their attitudes and approaches, and each was memorable for a different reason. An impre
Yvonne
The synopsis gives a very good idea as to what this book is about. It definitely caught my eye enough to go and buy a copy. What I discovered was a book with an eclectic mix of characters from old legend and folklore with a modern setting.

Conrad seems to take these random mythological characters in his stride, not phased by them at all. He decides to accept the mission to find a missing witch and so enters a world of magik. The mission itself appears straight forward but I felt it tu
Shane Houston
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun magickal romp.

This was a quick fun read. Loved the moles. I think fans of Simon Green would enjoy this book. The structure of the first few chapters confused me, as if we joined in the middle of the story, or that this was not the first book of the series. Fortunately, it quickly caught my interest and the pages zipped by.
sarah rose
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I read this book in one sitting without realizing how engrossed I had become. It's now nearly 2am, I have to be up early but have just downloaded book 2. It's going to be a long night but I won't even notice!
j m cooper
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable reading

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the modern take on magic.
If you like your fantasy sprinkled with humour , then this is the book for you.
Roll on the next book!
Carol Giles
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant

Really good read enjoyed it and can't wait get stuck into the next one would recommend to friends and family

Mrs T Wilson
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Nice to have books set in the UK for a change. I really enjoyed the humour and I think I'd quite like to go for a pint with Conrad.
Of to start the next book now.
Sally
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DO NOT MISS THIS SERIES!!!!!! SUPERB JOB!! READ THEM ALL SO FAR, EXCELLENT!!!
Wfmarquardt
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining

Pure entertainment. A rollicking story told by the protagonist. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Word.
Rosemarie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of the blog tour, full review on my blog
28th January 2019
gordon musgrave
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book

A good story easy to read only down side a very British book but other than that a good story
David St. Lawrence
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly satisfying read!

The characters are real and
Mark Hayden has created a universe that I want to explore further!

Buy this book. You will not regret it.
Loulou
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprised by how much I enjoyed this.
Kellyc
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God’s and cell phones?

An entertaining read with a new take on old old characters. It left me wanting to learn more so that was a pleasure.
Sara
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
You know when a book has Gods, witches, dwarves and all sorts of magical and mythical creatures in it, I’m going to be on the sidelines cheering it on.

The 13th Witch is the first book in the Conrad Clarke series and after reading it I am looking forward to the next book. It’s not a long book but it’s still loaded without being overwhelming. Conrad an ex-RAF guy gets himself involved with Odin or the Allfather as he calls himself. Conrad isn’t entirely sure what he is getting himself
Jenny Schwartz
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
"The 13th Witch" by Mark Hayden is fantastic. Think of a Dick Francis novel with fewer horses and a lot of magic. Excellent British fantasy thriller with a thoroughly likeable hero, nonstop action, fascinating range of characters and intriguing use of British history, myth and landscape.

I am loving this series.
Ann
Oct 19, 2019
Carol Forman
Aug 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Hayden is the nom de guerre of Adrian Attwood. He lives in Westmorland with his wife, Anne.

Adrian has had a varied career working for a brewery, teaching English and being the Town Clerk in Carnforth. He is now a part-time writer and part-time assistant in Anne's craft projects.

His current series of novels is the King's Watch urban fantasy series, with four published a

The King's Watch (5 books)
  • The 12 Dragons of Albion (The King's Watch, #2)
  • The Eleventh Hour (The King's Watch #3)
  • Tenfold (The King's Watch #4)
  • Nine of Wands (The King's Watch #5)