Start by marking “Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing” as Want to Read:
Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing

Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing

Shinrin = Forest Yoku = Bathing

Shinrin-Yoku or forest bathing is the practice of spending time in the forest for better health, happiness and a sense of calm. A pillar of Japanese culture for decades, Shinrin-Yoku is a way to reconnect with nature, from walking mindfully in the woods, to a break in your local park, to walking barefoot on your lawn.

Forest Medicine expert, D
Published April 5th 2018 by Penguin Life

Start your review of Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
Beth Bonini
Six months ago I moved full-time to London after years of living in the English countryside. I had lived very near a large woodland, and walking in it was part of my weekly - and seasonal - routine. Snowdrops, then crocuses, daffodils, then drifts of bluebells represented the spring; the summer was a canopy of green, cool even in the hottest weather; and autumn was glorious with burnished colour. Even in winter, because of the high concentration of conifers, the woodland had a dark green density ...more
Heidi The Reader
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Shinrin-yoku means bathing in the forest atmosphere, or taking in the forest through our senses. This is not exercise, or hiking, or jogging. It is simply being in nature, connecting with it through our sense of sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch." pg 12

Nature lovers or those aspiring to be nature lovers will find much to enjoy in Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing.

Qing Li reminds readers that the human race is a part of this world even if we have walled ourselves up in ci
7jane
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
What is forest-bathing? It's time spent in forests/parks, walking, sitting, eating, practicing tea ceremony etc. for the good of your physical/mental health, appreciating nature's beauty. The author is an expert on this subject; there are many, many pictures of the forests here, so you can probably use *them* also to get some experience.

This book talks about forests especially in Japan, but one can easily apply this form of nature-enjoyment, and the tips within, to other places around the world
Dannii Elle
My review of this book could be summed up in one hyphenated word: Life-changing.

Shinrin-yoku is the practise of taking time out of our technologically overloaded and overstimulated lives and allowing the power of nature's presence to consume and calm us. The benefits of doing so can impact every area of our lives and this book delivers startling figures and scientific discoveries that prove just how. The prosaic writing style was enough to convince me, but this book also delivers written testimo
Michelle (driftingsong)
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Of course it helped that this book started with a premise I agreed with. I was nodding along for a really long time and so happy that the author was able to give real life scientific examples to support what he was saying.

Then...the pseudoscience happened. So much pseudo-science. Now I did find the actual research based bits about essential oils kind of interesting, but it went on for way too long and some of what he was saying was pseudo-science or simply anecdotal. Then there was the positive
PJ
How sad and ironic that a book about the benefits of trees should waste so much paper, where the text on each page uses only 1/4-1/3 of the space and also used a large font. I found it too anecdotal and not very linear in its topic. Pretty pictures of forests though.
Libraryassistant
I was torn between 3 & 4 stars, but I enjoyed this book and some of the science included to back up what is clearly an evangelical subject to the author. Some of the writing is a little naive, but Dr. Li does make me want to get out into the natural world. I took a walk in the nearby orchard instead of a coffee break today!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I grew up in a forest. I got married in a forest. I live in a house surrounded by trees.

I'm a tree person.

How lovely, then, to read this book that shares all the many benefits of trees on our lives.

Note: this is a library book, but I'd now like to get a copy of my own so that I can think more carefully about trees.
Emily
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As someone who lives in a large city, I have to make a conscious effort to get out into nature a few times each week, so it was interesting to read about the whole forest bathing movement in Japan. I am a bit skeptical of some of the health claims, but otherwise a good an relaxing read.
Catsandsnakes
Feb 21, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of this is pseudoscience. There are a few claims he makes without any citations as well. He straight up claims on page 297 that children with ADHD have their symptoms disappear when outdoors. He also seems to think that the solution to mental health is to plant more trees, and not, you know, like raising wages or having more public trans. Do not read this book.
Korey
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book about a hobby.

I enjoyed learning about the practice of forest bathing or Shinrin-Yoku. The different between hiking and forest bathing is hiking sets out with a purpose or destination, where as forest bathing has no end point in mind. Instead it encourages the utilization of your five senses to be present in the moment to heal your body and mind. This book gave me the tools to be able to go into the forests’ of Colorado and practice Shinrin-Yoku.
penny shima glanz
I am excited to see science supporting the practice of shinrin-yoku (森林浴). I have always headed out to the woods to recharge and reset (and rest) and now I better understand why. In _Forest Bathing_, Li has written a helpful guide for those curious about how to practice and why. Included are the results (and general process) of multiple scientific studies. These investigated the effects forest bathing had on stress, sleep, mood, the immune system, and more.

This book offers practical advice for t
GONZA
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the topic was total unknown to me, I found the book very interesting even if a little bit naive and simplistic, still it was a subject that the author handled with a lot of experience and love. I love everything Japan so this was also a bonus for me.

Siccome l'argomento di questo libro mi era totalmente sconosciuto, ho trovato questo volume molto interessante anche se a volte un po semplicistico. ma si vede come l'autore sia un appassionato della materia e come l'ami profondamente. Inoltre sic
Jay Wilson
Jun 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You lost me at "essential oils" and "negative ions."

It's a very pretty book though.
Lydia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites, to-own
Excellent read! Everyone should read this book and then take a walk in a green space!
Ioan Pan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being found of peace and quiet, wandering in the woods helped me both, to understand myself and also to be conscious of the connection we have with everything alive.
This book reminded me that in the forest, where songs of birds, floating wind through leaves, smell of the ground and so many other mesmerizing images, made us feel present and free, with plenty of benefits on mental and physical level.
I would highly recommend the book to everyone, and after reading it, go straight in the woods, you'
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book was so calming. It made me feel relaxed just reading it for fun.

Dr. Qing Li provides his thoughts on his research with respect to the body and mind after "Forest Bathing." He uses examples through studies that he has performed in Japan. He goes on to talk about the different parks in Japan that seem to have some sort of Forest Bathing programs. It was almost dream like and when he described the different trails and parks I envisioned myself there.

What was important in this book wasn't
Conrad
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Reading Shrinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing is like reading a magazine like Happinez. It is beautifully designed, the photo's are phenomenal and the stories are inspirational, just don't look too much into it as it often falls apart. The main message is simple: get out there, enjoy nature, it's good for you. However, the book excels more on the Art than on the Science part. It is full of inaccurate studies and exaggerations and often passes into the pseudo-science of 'charging y ...more
Elizabeth
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love walking through forests and listening to the trees move and sway. As a kid, my favorite reading spot was the branch of a tree. The author provided evidence backed research to prove that "forest bathing" reduces stress and promotes mindfulness. I hope to visit Japan soon to experience shinrin-yoku in the author's native land. ...more
Ericka Clou
This is a short book, but it's chockful of information. I couldn't tell how strictly scientific the advice is but it seems worth a shot to connect with nature and give it a try. Since the author discusses a number of Japanese forests I think this book is especially helpful for someone living in or visiting Japan. There are also many tips that can be applied even if you're not in Japan though. ...more
Femke
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature-books
This is excactly the same book as Shinrin-Yoku: the art and science of forest bathing by Qing Li, but with a different (nicer) cover. So I’ve now read this book twice 😅 nevertheless is it a really interesting book with beautiful photos of forests in Japan.
Mick D
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice simple overview of the importance of spending time in nature. Attractive photos and accessible content.
Jasmine St. John
University of Melbourne shows a ‘green micro-break’ restores us when mentally fatigued. As little as 40 seconds of looking out of the window at nature helps us focus and stay alert. University of Rochester demonstrates that a brief glimpse of the color green before doing a creative task enhances performance. University of Michigan shows that taking 10 mins to look at pictures of nature improves performance.
Jeb Boyt
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
An engaging, scientific examination of the health and wellness benefits of forest bathing.
Bloodorange
I found this book irritating - puffed up with full-page photos, lists, testimonials, info on anything remotely connected to forest bathing (potted plants, edible plants, medicinal plants, essential oils, benefits of looking out of the window).
Fe
Mar 04, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
3.5

an absolute visual pleasure with all the different, very high quality pictures (especially during a pandemic). it was a lovely, easy to read introduction to the topic and some parts explained the science behind shinrin-yoku incredibly well. other parts, unfortunately, even though i completely believe the science of forest bathing, gave statements about health conditions that were too generalised and did not include the vast amount of other factors influencing a person's situation and well-bei
Debbie Hill
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tree-themed
I first noticed the Japanese term Shinrin-Yoku on a Facebook post. After losing four large ash trees in my backyard due to the invasive emerald ash borer, I couldn't believe how the loss permeated my existence. I felt compelled to learn more about the ash trees and in doing so the surviving trees taught me so much about the world around me.

It didn't surprise me that for Mother's Day my family gifted me this book on Forest Bathing by Dr. Qing Li, chairman of the Japanese Society for Forest Medic
Mert
4/5 Stars (%80/100)

This was a very relaxing book to read. Shinrin-yoku literally means forest-bathing in English. Dr. Qing Li, after many years of research, decides to write about the practice of shinrin-yoku, something very common in Japan and something he also does frequently. The book deals with many things. First, he explains how shinrin-yoku transformed into a science. Second, how to actually practice shinrin-yoku. Third, plants and flowers in your house as another way of practicing shinrin
=^.^= Janet  =^.^=
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: zz-2018ng-wir
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---
Experience the healing power of nature!
Forest bathing, also known as shinrin-yoku, is the Japanese practice of connecting deeply with nature. It is a practice that involves all the senses and has extraordinary effects on health and happiness. The latest health and wellness trend, it has been touted as the new yoga by international media outlets. In Shinrin Yoku, nature m
Gabrielle
I had very high hopes for this book as the cover, photos, and even paper quality create such a fresh feeling at first, but as someone who has had an interest in Japanese aesthetics for quite some time, I was already familiar with many of the concepts presented in this book. For someone totally new to Japanese culture's relationship with nature, this may be a good place to start. However, if you are looking for something more in-depth, look elsewhere.

It's also important to note that this book is

• Devyniasdešimtųjų vaikai tampa tėvais
  • Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing
  • Psychoanalyst Meets Marina Abramovic: Jeannette Fischer Meets Artist
  • Your Guide to Forest Bathing: Experience the Healing Power of Nature
  • The Secret Therapy of Trees: Harness the Healing Energy of Forest Bathing and Natural Landscapes
  • 1940: Paskutinė Lietuvos vasara
  • Rožės ir bulvės / Roses and Potatoes
  • Petro imperatorė II (Petro imperatorė, #2)
  • Kūno terapija mano gyvenime
  • Kūnai
  • Ką jie mums padarė. Lietuvos gyvenimas traumų psichologijos žvilgsniu
  • The Heartbeat of Trees: Embracing Our Ancient Bond with Forests and Nature
  • Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees
  • The Law of Success, Volume I: The Principles of Self-Mastery
  • Pirmąkart mama. Faktai, mitai, giminės moterų balsai ir vienos mamos istorija
  • Lizos butas
  • The Healing Magic of Forest Bathing: Finding Calm, Creativity, and Connection in the Natural World
  • The Joy of Forest Bathing: The Mysterious Japanese Art of Shinrin-Yoku
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

Celeste Ng’s new novel, Our Missing Hearts, depicts a disturbing version of the United States, set in the vaguely distant future, rife with...
“The best way to deal with stress at work is to go for a forest bath. I go for shinrin-yoku every lunchtime. You don’t need a forest; any small green space will do. Leave your cup of coffee and your phone behind and just walk slowly. You don’t need to exercise, you just need to open your senses to nature. It will improve your mood, reduce tension and anxiety, and help you focus and concentrate for the rest of the day.” 4 likes
“Wszyscy znamy cudowny zapach lasu po ulewie. Kiedy długo nie pada, w glebie i na skałach gromadzą się olejki roślinne. To jeden ze sposobów roślin na przetrwanie okresów suszy. Podczas deszczu woda uwalnia przechowywane w podłożu olejki, a powietrze wypełnia się ich zapachem.

On również ma swoją nazwę, petrichor, od greckich słów petra, czyli "kamień", i ichor, którym opisywano esencję płynącą w żyłach bogów zamiast krwi. Zatem petrichor znaczy dosłownie "esencja kamienia". To zapach życia!”
0 likes