Start by marking “Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing” as Want to Read:
Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing

Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing

Shinrin = Forest Yoku = Bathing

Shinrin-Yoku or forest bathing is the practice of spending time in the forest for better health, happiness and a sense of calm. A pillar of Japanese culture for decades, Shinrin-Yoku is a way to reconnect with nature, from walking mindfully in the woods, to a break in your local park, to walking barefoot on your lawn.

Forest Medicine expert, D
Published April 5th 2018 by Penguin Life

To ask other readers questions about Shinrin-Yoku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shinrin-Yoku

Start your review of Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
Beth Bonini
Six months ago I moved full-time to London after years of living in the English countryside. I had lived very near a large woodland, and walking in it was part of my weekly - and seasonal - routine. Snowdrops, then crocuses, daffodils, then drifts of bluebells represented the spring; the summer was a canopy of green, cool even in the hottest weather; and autumn was glorious with burnished colour. Even in winter, because of the high concentration of conifers, the woodland had a dark green density ...more
Heidi The Reader
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Shinrin-yoku means bathing in the forest atmosphere, or taking in the forest through our senses. This is not exercise, or hiking, or jogging. It is simply being in nature, connecting with it through our sense of sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch." pg 12

Nature lovers or those aspiring to be nature lovers will find much to enjoy in Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing.

Qing Li reminds readers that the human race is a part of this world even if we have walled ourselves up in ci
7jane
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
What is forest-bathing? It's time spent in forests/parks, walking, sitting, eating, practicing tea ceremony etc. for the good of your physical/mental health, appreciating nature's beauty. The author is an expert on this subject; there are many, many pictures of the forests here, so you can probably use *them* also to get some experience.

This book talks about forests especially in Japan, but one can easily apply this form of nature-enjoyment, and the tips within, to other places around the world
Dannii Elle
My review of this book could be summed up in one hyphenated word: Life-changing.

Shinrin-yoku is the practise of taking time out of our technologically overloaded and overstimulated lives and allowing the power of nature's presence to consume and calm us. The benefits of doing so can impact every area of our lives and this book delivers startling figures and scientific discoveries that prove just how. The prosaic writing style was enough to convince me, but this book also delivers written testimo
Paula
How sad and ironic that a book about the benefits of trees should waste so much paper, where the text on each page uses only 1/4-1/3 of the space and also used a large font. I found it too anecdotal and not very linear in its topic. Pretty pictures of forests though.
Libraryassistant
I was torn between 3 & 4 stars, but I enjoyed this book and some of the science included to back up what is clearly an evangelical subject to the author. Some of the writing is a little naive, but Dr. Li does make me want to get out into the natural world. I took a walk in the nearby orchard instead of a coffee break today! ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I grew up in a forest. I got married in a forest. I live in a house surrounded by trees.

I'm a tree person.

How lovely, then, to read this book that shares all the many benefits of trees on our lives.

Note: this is a library book, but I'd now like to get a copy of my own so that I can think more carefully about trees.
Korey
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book about a hobby.

I enjoyed learning about the practice of forest bathing or Shinrin-Yoku. The different between hiking and forest bathing is hiking sets out with a purpose or destination, where as forest bathing has no end point in mind. Instead it encourages the utilization of your five senses to be present in the moment to heal your body and mind. This book gave me the tools to be able to go into the forests’ of Colorado and practice Shinrin-Yoku.
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Of course it helped that this book started with a premise I agreed with. I was nodding along for a really long time and so happy that the author was able to give real life scientific examples to support what he was saying.

Then...the pseudoscience happened. So much pseudo-science. Now I did find the actual research based bits about essential oils kind of interesting, but it went on for way too long and some of what he was saying was pseudo-science or simply anecdotal. Then there was the positive
GONZA
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the topic was total unknown to me, I found the book very interesting even if a little bit naive and simplistic, still it was a subject that the author handled with a lot of experience and love. I love everything Japan so this was also a bonus for me.

Siccome l'argomento di questo libro mi era totalmente sconosciuto, ho trovato questo volume molto interessante anche se a volte un po semplicistico. ma si vede come l'autore sia un appassionato della materia e come l'ami profondamente. Inoltre sic
Emily
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As someone who lives in a large city, I have to make a conscious effort to get out into nature a few times each week, so it was interesting to read about the whole forest bathing movement in Japan. I am a bit skeptical of some of the health claims, but otherwise a good an relaxing read.
penny shima glanz
I am excited to see science supporting the practice of shinrin-yoku (森林浴). I have always headed out to the woods to recharge and reset (and rest) and now I better understand why. In _Forest Bathing_, Li has written a helpful guide for those curious about how to practice and why. Included are the results (and general process) of multiple scientific studies. These investigated the effects forest bathing had on stress, sleep, mood, the immune system, and more.

This book offers practical advice for t
Ioan Pan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being found of peace and quiet, wandering in the woods helped me both, to understand myself and also to be conscious of the connection we have with everything alive.
This book reminded me that in the forest, where songs of birds, floating wind through leaves, smell of the ground and so many other mesmerizing images, made us feel present and free, with plenty of benefits on mental and physical level.
I would highly recommend the book to everyone, and after reading it, go straight in the woods, you'
Lydia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-own, my-favorites
Excellent read! Everyone should read this book and then take a walk in a green space!
Femke
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature-books
This is excactly the same book as Shinrin-Yoku: the art and science of forest bathing by Qing Li, but with a different (nicer) cover. So I’ve now read this book twice 😅 nevertheless is it a really interesting book with beautiful photos of forests in Japan.
Elizabeth
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love walking through forests and listening to the trees move and sway. As a kid, my favorite reading spot was the branch of a tree. The author provided evidence backed research to prove that "forest bathing" reduces stress and promotes mindfulness. I hope to visit Japan soon to experience shinrin-yoku in the author's native land.
Ericka Clouther
This is a short book, but it's chockful of information. I couldn't tell how strictly scientific the advice is but it seems worth a shot to connect with nature and give it a try. Since the author discusses a number of Japanese forests I think this book is especially helpful for someone living in or visiting Japan. There are also many tips that can be applied even if you're not in Japan though.
Jay Wilson
Jun 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You lost me at "essential oils" and "negative ions."

It's a very pretty book though.
Ausjeb
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
An engaging, scientific examination of the health and wellness benefits of forest bathing.
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book was so calming. It made me feel relaxed just reading it for fun.

Dr. Qing Li provides his thoughts on his research with respect to the body and mind after "Forest Bathing." He uses examples through studies that he has performed in Japan. He goes on to talk about the different parks in Japan that seem to have some sort of Forest Bathing programs. It was almost dream like and when he described the different trails and parks I envisioned myself there.

What was important in this book wasn't
Debbie Hill
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tree-themed
I first noticed the Japanese term Shinrin-Yoku on a Facebook post. After losing four large ash trees in my backyard due to the invasive emerald ash borer, I couldn't believe how the loss permeated my existence. I felt compelled to learn more about the ash trees and in doing so the surviving trees taught me so much about the world around me.

It didn't surprise me that for Mother's Day my family gifted me this book on Forest Bathing by Dr. Qing Li, chairman of the Japanese Society for Forest Medic
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book essentially about nature worship, and the positive effects on us that being in nature engenders. I have known the feelings for years, as I learned long ago to intentionally take periods of rest/forest bathing along hikes, but this book was a lovely recitation of why it feels so very good to be in nature, in forests, and breathing it all in.
Harley
Forest Bathing (Shinrin-Yoku) is about connecting with nature, particularly trees. Dr. Qing Li's thesis is that spending time in a forest can enhance one's health and he provides the research to support it.
Mick D
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice simple overview of the importance of spending time in nature. Attractive photos and accessible content.
Amena
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The writer of this book, Dr Li, is a man after my own heart. He investigates the science behind why we feel so much better in nature, SO much happier and healthier when surrounded by trees. It's a feeling that is so hard to put into words and describe. Although walking anywhere reduces anxiety, depression, anger and confusion, it is only walking in a forest environment that has a positive effect on vigour and fatigue.

The photography in the book is breathtakingly stunning. It made me want to jum
Monica
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read-list
It's a good book and full of interesting information, but it's extremely anecdotal and mostly facts more than anything else.
Which is fine, I'm not sure what else I would've expected from it.
However, it makes me sad that I live in the desert since most forests here are pretty far out and require a drive to get to, it makes me appreciate the trees we have around and I felt myself looking for trees in town after reading it, wondering how healthy my surroundings could be. But I don't think you can
Sarah Guarini
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly think that the true reason I wanted to read this book was so that I could justify my so-called “need” to live in an area with trees...and after reading this book, I do feel that it is justifiable!

This book is a very fast read!
I wasn’t expecting all of the beautiful illustrations of trees, which was clever on the author’s part. Including these made reading the book incredibly relaxing. Honestly, I think most of us already know and believe what is written in these pages—which is that c
Angie Shere
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am already a believer in the healing power of spending time in the natural world. But after reading this book, I want to visit more forests, spend more of my time outside. I learned so many new things about forests and plants, and the outdoors. Now I am even more enamored. I would have loved to share this book with my Mom, a fellow "tree lover" who was a wood carver and understood the stories trees could tell. I donated a copy to our local library in memory of her.
Fiza Pathan
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is a book that should be read by everyone to change the way we look at our forests & the way we can change our lives for the better by practicing shinrin-yoku or forest bathing. One of the best reads this year. Those of you interested in forest oil essentials & aromatherapy like me can please read this amazing & uplifting book. A must read for all nature lovers out there. Kudos! ...more
Kelly
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know that being in nature makes us feel good. But if you are interested in the science behind it, then you will love this book! I enjoyed this read very much. And there were beautiful forest photographs on every page. Reading this book is equivalent to walking in the forest, I'm pretty sure... but you should still go outside and walk in a real forest, ok?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Devyniasdešimtųjų vaikai tampa tėvais
  • Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing
  • Kūnai
  • Lizos butas
  • Your Guide to Forest Bathing: Experience the Healing Power of Nature
  • Fotosintezė
  • Partizanė: Monika Alūzaitė – moteris laisvės kovose
  • The Healing Magic of Forest Bathing: Finding Calm, Creativity, and Connection in the Natural World
  • Forest Bathing Retreat: Find Wholeness in the Company of Trees
  • Meilės prekeiviai
  • Viena Indijoje
  • The Secret Therapy of Trees: Harness the Healing Energy of Forest Bathing and Natural Landscapes
  • Kai Kaunas buvo Kaunas
  • Lietuvos vizionierės
  • Gyvenimo lai(š)kai
  • Forest Therapy: Seasonal Ways to Embrace Nature for a Happier You
  • Tebūnie kava
  • Vilniaus atminties punktyrai

News & Interviews

“The best way to deal with stress at work is to go for a forest bath. I go for shinrin-yoku every lunchtime. You don’t need a forest; any small green space will do. Leave your cup of coffee and your phone behind and just walk slowly. You don’t need to exercise, you just need to open your senses to nature. It will improve your mood, reduce tension and anxiety, and help you focus and concentrate for the rest of the day.” 1 likes
“Wszędzie panuje tak duży hałas, że większość ludzi nie ma już okazji rozkoszować się kojącym brakiem uciążliwych odgłosów cywilizacji. Naturalną ciszę uznano za jeden z najbardziej zagrożonych zasobów na naszej planecie.” 0 likes