Start by marking “Jane Doe (Jane Doe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jane Doe (Jane Doe, #1)

Jane Doe

(Jane Doe #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  16,119 ratings  ·  2,147 reviews
A double life with a single purpose: revenge.

Jane’s days at a Midwest insurance company are perfectly ordinary. She blends in well, unremarkably pretty in her floral-print dresses and extra efficient at her low-level job. She’s just the kind of woman middle manager Steven Hepsworth likes—meek, insecure, and willing to defer to a man. No one has any idea who Jane really is.
Published August 1st 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jane Doe, please sign up.
Susan I just saw this answer on her Goodreads author page...

I just saw this answer on her Goodreads author page...

Victoria Helen Stone: There may be! I'm currently pitching a proposal and should hear back in a few weeks. I'll update here when I have news. Thank you! (less)

·  16,119 ratings  ·  2,147 reviews

Start your review of Jane Doe (Jane Doe, #1)
Miranda Reads
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miranda by: Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
description
Shout out to this absolutely fabulous book in my latest booktube video is up - all about the best books I read each month and 2019's bookish stats (and yes, I really did read 365 books in 365 days!).

Now that you know this one made the cut - check out the video to see what other ones made my top 12 list!

The written review:
description

Maybe I'll destroy his family. Maybe I'll set him up for embezzlement. Maybe I'll kill him.
Jane Doe is just your average, everyday girl with a chip on tha
Meredith
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

“Even a sociopath likes to hear that she’s beautiful.”

A wickedly delicious character study of a sociopath out for revenge!

Jane, a 30-year-old, self-diagnosed sociopath is in Minneapolis on a mission--she is out to make the man who caused her best friend to commit suicide. Jane, a highly successful attorney who lives abroad, changes her looks and persona to attract abusive douchebag, Stephen. She gets a job doing data entry where Stephen works and plays the role of a meek, insecure
j e w e l s
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FIVE STARS
I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS NOVEL🖤🙏

Reads lightning fast.
Our main character, Jane, is a self-diagnosed sociopath with a wicked sense of humor.
Dark and disturbing, but no graphic violence.
Story is told from a first person POV. (The best way- in my humble opinion)
No annoying time changes or flashbacks. The story is propelled forward and I didn't want it to end!
AND the ending is sheer perfection.
I am obsessed with Jane!!!!

If you enjoyed Best Day Ever or The Last Mrs. Parrish, you will L
Christina - Traveling Sister
4.5, everything can be an art, yes, even stalking stars!!!

Full review along with a recipe for super traditional bolognese sauce featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

Jane isn’t your average 30 year old. She’s a self-diagnosed sociopath with a new penchant for revenge. From page one she has set out on a mission to make the man who caused her best friend Meg’s suicide pay through literally any means necessary. Meg, she was vibrant and loving and kind. She saw Jane for who she was in spite of the fac
Michelle
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Okay, I have to agree with my fellow Goodreads friends that have read this book.....

THIS. WAS. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I don't think I have ever adored a sociopath before but there you have it. Jane Doe is so bad ass. I loved her so much. Seriously! She had me giggling throughout this entire book. If you like your humor dark then this is definitely a book for you.

I will warn some that this book is basically a middle finger salute to Christian hypocrisy which I happened to love but it may be a trigger f
Jennifer Masterson
BAM all the Stars! I absolutely loved everything about this book! It was so much freaking fun! Jane is a self-diagnosed sociopath and boy is she fantastic! She even loves to read! Who doesn’t like a sociopath who loves to read!? The book is a dark, twisted and unique thriller!

The novel is told through Jane’s perspective. She is a highly successful lawyer living in Malaysia. She comes back to the United States for one reason, revenge! Jane navigates life her way making no apologies for what she
Dita
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Jane is a vengeful sociopath and I kinda want to be besties with her.

This was just as good the second time I read it and I can't wait for the sequel in March!
Julie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone is a 2018 Lake Union Press publication.

A dark, delectable tale of revenge!

Jane has put her high-powered career on hold in order to insinuate herself into the life of a control -freak- religious zealot named Steven.

Jane, one of the most likeable sociopaths you are apt to meet, proceeds to lure Steven into her web, pretending to be a needy, docile woman who is so insecure she will behave just the way her new boyfriend orders her to.

The question is: Why is Jane
Dennis
Victoria Helen Stone, or shall I say Victoria Dahl—I absolutely loved Jane Doe and I am pleading for you to write a sequel. I need Jane in my life, and now that I'm done with this novel, I don't know how I will be able to cope without her. Jane, my imaginary bff, is a sociopath, hellbent on revenge. Jane moves back to the United States, specifically to Minneapolis, after living a very profitable life in Malaysia for years. Jane has gone rogue, working at an insurance company as a temp as ...more
Anne
Whoa! I didn't expect to love this freebie so much that I couldn't put it down.
In fact, I wasn't holding out much hope that it would be anything other than sorta-kinda entertaining. But I'd seen it pop up in my Goodreads feed several times with these great reviews, so when I saw it was free to anyone with Prime, I went ahead and downloaded it. Figured I'd give it a minute and see if it might be one of those books that I could use as something to look at while I ate my lunch. <--that didn't happe
Holly  B
Meet Jane Doe...

Things to know about Jane:

She is pretending to be someone else (someone who is naive unlike her).
She has self diagnosed herself as a socio-path and master manipulator.
She has a plan of revenge and she is determined to carry it out.

Suspenseful and taunting. I never knew what to expect next. Jane was full of devious surprises at every turn! My feelings about her changed throughout the book. She was such a complex character who was always plotting and conniving. It is
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, Oct. 30, 2019. Funny timing since I just finished reading the sequel, Problem Child, which will be published in early 2020.

3.5 stars. Watch out for Jane Doe! She's on a revenge mission, and she gives no quarter. She's kind of Dexter in female form, but much less murderous ... just coldblooded. Like a shark.

description

Jane Doe is an intriguing new suspense novel about a self-described sociopath. Jane is plotting revenge against the guy who emotionally abused her best (really only) friend
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Lake Union for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Okay, I am confused... How did this not win the 2018 Goodreads Choice Award for thriller? It was beat by... Checking... The Outsider?! Yeah, no. This book is definitely better.

So, what's this book about
Jane Doe follows Jane, a woman who just happens to be a sociopath. Jane is working at a Midwest insurance company. She is extremely talented at blending in and flying under the radar. But she's done with that becau
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Every so often I go into a book and I know as soon I as I start reading it that I am going to love it. This was one of those books.

Jane is living two lives. One as a successful lawyer in Malaysia, where she calls all the shots and is a force to be reckon with. Then there is plain Jane from Minnesota. Jane from Minnesota wears frumpy clothes, is docile and works at an insurance company as a data entry clerk.

Jane is living two lives for one reason and one reason only. To get revenge. Steven Hepsw
Jonetta
Jane is working at an insurance company in Minneapolis as a low level clerk. But, that’s not who she really is. She’s taken 50 days of leave from her real job in Kuala Lumpur as an import-export attorney to exact revenge on middle manager Steven Hepsworth. Why? You’ll need to read or listen to the book to find out.

I chose to listen to this story and was that ever the right decision! The narrator completely captured Jane, a woman you’re never quite sure if she’s a sociopath or just plain cleverl
Jayme
This was probably THE book, I recommended the MOST last year!

I loved it! ❤️

A Sociopath is defined as a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior, and a lack of conscience.

Jane is a self proclaimed sociopath, posing as a low level data entry clerk in an insurance agency.

She has secured the job there so that she can meet Stephen Hepsworth, a man you are going to hate. He is the kind of man who calls every woman he seduces “babe” because th
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
2.5 stars. Did I read the same book as everyone else?

Jane is out for revenge and she will stop at nothing to get it.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t connect with Jane and didn’t particularly like her. While I did find some of her inner thoughts and commentary humorous and entertaining, I wasn’t invested in her story. I couldn’t stop myself from comparing her to Jane from The Favorite Daughter, who I absolutely loved. For me, this novel simply couldn’t compare to that similar type character and story.
Alex ♈
5+++ stars

B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T!

The best book I read in years!!!

"This is hardly my first Bible study. I’ve already got the best parts memorized and I believe in them wholeheartedly.

Eye for eye, tooth for tooth. But the rest is even better: burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

They’re going to feel this for a long time."

This book took me by surprise, I knew it would be good thanks to my trusted friends, but I couldn’t even imagine how EPIC this book would be.

Brilliant. Brilliant fe
Navessa
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Navessa by: Casey

Well, this is a goddamn masterpiece.

And the award for best hidden gem currently on Kindle Unlimited goes to...

Seriously, I can't recommend this book highly enough. Like, words escape me. I'm left with nothing but emotions...

...and a slight fear that I might fall somewhere on the sociopath spectrum.

Because I was FULLY with this MC and FULLY behind her revenge plans.

Also, the fucking feminism pervading these pages is to die for.

More of this, please.
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Refreshing, relishing, & edgy!

Jane was such an edgy and refreshing character! I loved that we got a character study into a female sociopath. I was thoroughly entertained and amused by Jane!

Felicia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that was a wicked stroll through Retribution Park...which just so happens to be my favorite park. If you've never been there, I suggest you pack a lunch and leave the kiddos at home because this playground is for psychopaths only.

Oh man I love Jane. The phrase "ride or die" is not lost on her. She's the chick you definitely want on your side because her loyalty knows no bounds.

Long recap short, Jane's only friend commits suicide after being debased and abused by her mysogynist boyfriend. A
Donna Backshall
5 satisfyingly vengeful stars!

Jane Doe is no one, just a quiet and mousy pushover waiting for a fine, upstanding Christian man to swoop in and take care of her, to prevent her from losing her way and becoming just another whore in a world filled with temptation and sin.

BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Actually Jane's one angry beotch who's out to negotiate her way in to ruin (or kill, if it turns out easier) the arrogant and abusive man who drove her best friend to suicide. Believe me, this man is a piece of w
Amy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
4.5/5

God you guys, this was such a refreshing read, especially for a psychological thriller. There’s not an unreliable narrator in sight, there are not multiple perspectives and there are zero time jumps. If a book labeled as a psychological thriller doesn’t have all three of those is it even really a psychological thriller? Hahaha, I’m kidding, this definitely is and it consumed me, I freaking loved it.

Jane is unapologetically who she is, and she’s a sociopath on a mission. She wants revenge an
Bibi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
A bit far fetched

Bottom line, I didn’t hate the book but neither did I love it, mostly because it dragged and was repetitive.
Like the plot, the characters were one-dimensional with little to no growth. I didn’t like Jane, our protagonist, and her plan for vengeance seemed too simple. That said, it did make for compulsive reading, which bumped the rating to 2 stars.
Carrie
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone is a straight forward thriller featuring a self proclaimed sociopath. Jane has taken a job at an insurance company in order to get close to the manager of the company, Steven Hepsworth.

Steven is the man that stole everything from Jane in the blink of an eye. How do you ask? By breaking Jane's best friend's heart. In that moment Jane knew that she needed to do to Stephen just what he did to her to make him pay.

Picking up Jane Doe I didn't realize that Victoria He
JanB
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-reads
Another diabolical Jane you love to hate! This Jane is a self-proclaimed sociopath who is out for revenge against the man she feels is responsible for her best friend’s suicide.

Told solely from Jane’s perspective, with no crazy twists, she is an A+ student of male human behavior, which makes her a master manipulator. She’s a well-educated bad ass but is an expert actress and lets the object of her revenge think she’s inept, shy, and demure as she enacts her plan.

My favorite line in the book:

“Ma
DJ Sakata
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

I’ve been to church plenty of times. When you grow up in rural Oklahoma, there’s no avoiding it… We had no use for pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps Christianity. If there wasn’t a big potluck after services, what was the point of going? My mom always stayed late, putting on a show of helping clean up. I liked that part. There were lots of leftovers, and she usually smuggled out a couple of free serving bowls.

That first time I read about sociopaths, I felt filled up with a brig
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Casey
Jane takes a data entry job while telling the reader the whole time that she is a rich attorney. What's Jane's game plan? Revenge. Jane admits to being a self diagnosed sociopath...and I'm sure as a reader and general human that I'm supposed to feel like a normal person and sorta not sympathize with Jane.
After all....

But then you have some passages that sorta make you think twice. Like one of her memories of going to church.
But at least there's no danger of my grandmother jabbing her elbow
Jess☺️
Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone is a great nail biter of a psychological thriller which at times can be frustrating also and can also lead you to thinking maybe murder really is the only answer 😌 but saying that the ending was pretty great.
It also has an emotional outline to it so you kind of understand the revenge plot.
Jane is one of those characters you shouldn't like but you really do and would rather be her friend and not her enemy.
Steven the other main character don't get me started on him
Susanne  Strong
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

The Lesson Here?: It’s Called Revenge and it’s Oh So Sweet (If you like that kind of thing, which of course, I don’t (I mean, Really!) Baah!)

When Jane arrives back in Minneapolis from Kuala Lumpur, she has a plan. It’s all about revenge, with a capital “R.” Steven is her “mark.” Little does he know.

Jane knows exactly the kind of woman a religious man like Steven needs and she is going to take care of him the best way she knows how. After all, he most certainly deserves it.

Oh What Fun

• What You Did
  • Here To Stay
  • The Wives
  • The Weight of Lies
Victoria Helen Stone is the nom de plume for USA Today bestselling author Victoria Dahl. After publishing more than twenty-five novels, she has taken a turn toward the darker side of genre fiction. Born and educated in the Midwest, she finished her first manuscript just after college. In 2016, the American Library Association awarded her the prestigious Reading List Award for outstanding genre fic ...more

Jane Doe (2 books)
  • Problem Child (Jane Doe, #2)

News & Interviews

“People cause pain. Even good people hurt those they love. We all do it because we can’t help it. Most of us aren’t evil; we’re just stupid and flawed and not careful with others.” 24 likes
“Frankly, fictional people appeal far more to me than real people do. In fiction, the choices have to make sense. The timeline proceeds rationally. Emotions are explained to me. Characters feel the way they are supposed to feel in response to the actions of others. Nobody stays in a bad situation because of inertia or low self-esteem. That would make for a truly shitty story. But in real life . . . God, in real life people so rarely behave in ways that improve their circumstances.” 13 likes