Start by marking “Ascension” as Want to Read:
Ascension

Ascension

(Phobos #1)

'This thrilling space odyssey will keep you turning pages late into the night' C. J. Daugherty, author of NIGHT SCHOOL

Published June 28th 2018 by Hot Key Books (first published June 11th 2015)

Emer (A Little Haze)
Today is UK Publication today for this trashtastic space opera.

Going into this book I expected a fun-filled, almost guilty-pleasure-esque quick read because of the blurb:
'Six girls, six boys. Each in the two separate bays of a single spaceship. They have six minutes each week to seduce and to make their choices, under the unblinking eye of the on-board cameras. They are the contenders in the Genesis programme, the world's craziest speed-dating show ever, aimed at creating the first human colony/>'Six
Vivianne
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-4-stars
Actual rating 3,5 stars!

I’d never heard off this book before, but I’d really recommend it if you’re looking for an easy read. One of my guilty pleasures is reality TV so that combined with an awesome space adventure and dirty politics made an really amazing book! This book definitely isn’t flawless but I really enjoyed it and I’m anticipating the sequel.

Concept (4,0 stars)
Five years ago I did a project about the colonization of Mars that's being realized right now. The organization Mars One is/>/>I’d
Jordanne
I received this book from Hot Key Books and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

🌟🌟🌟🌟

Be prepared for the world’s weirdest yet strangely addictive dating show in the known universe.

I’ve said in previous posts about this book that it was like ‘Love Island in a spaceship, but with teenagers, segregated living quarters and much less sex’. This still feels like a good description, but I think only UK readers would necessarily get it. There is also a little bi
Lou
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved the sound of the synopsis for this book as it sounded like such a fun and relatively lighthearted read. one of my most relaxed and enjoyable of 2018 so far. I feel as if this is science fiction marketed towards the female section of society, as a book based around speed-dating probably appeals more to women than men. Obviously, that is a generalisation, but I am pleased that science fiction writers are attempting to draw more women to the genre.

"Ascension" is the f
MorningKnight
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly guys, I wish this book was translated in english so you could all read it. Seriously.
EDIT: OMG I have just found out it is going to be translated!

This is an amazing story about a TV Show. A bold one!
Since the plot on goodreads is in french I translated for those who do not speak french :

"Six minutes to meet.
The Eternity to love.

They are six girls and six boys, in two separate compartments of the same spacecraft. They have six minutes each week to seduce and choose, under t
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendship, space, family, secrets, lies.

Review first posted at Tea Party Princess.

This book really surprised me. I had seen it referred to as Love Island in space and that was an interesting enough hook to spur me into entering the giveaway. Then once I picked it up, I was as captivated as the audience, I couldn't get enough of Léonor. And that ending left me desperately wanting more.

Ascension is a fantastic examination of the greed of humanity, the fascination with rea
Odette Brethouwer
I really enjoyed reading this book! In this SciFi YA, the SciFi really plays a big part in the storyline. This is how I like it, not like Eenzaam en Extreem Ver Weg, which is basically a love story just set in a space station. Phobos has a much better plot line.

It really is possible that we pay for a travel to mars by making it commercial. And about a president that has sold everything the governments own.. well, I'm not going to state something about possible American presidents.
Anniek
Dec 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever read a book and quickly realize you don't understand the raving reviews at all? And not because of a taste difference, but because the book is just really that bad? Yeah. This is one of those. I generally try to write at least something positive about every book, but I just can't in this case. What a shitshow of a novel. I didn't enjoy it at all, and not just because the characters and the plot were all very flat, with a massive lack of world building. I had so many issues with it it ...more
Clary
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Omg. Dat einde. I need to know more!
4.5
Bookphenomena (Micky)
ASCENSION appealed to my YA Sci-fi heart immediately on reading the blurb but I can only tell you that reading it was so much more. It blew me away, from the first jaw drop to the last page. This is a fast paced read, with suspense but also with some lulls and time to gather your breath. Basically, the pacing is well thought out.

This was a no-return to Earth, colonisation of Mars, dating game but there was not one thing that was light about this ‘game’. The six young women and six yo
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Throughout this review, you will discover how this novel went from 2 stars to 4 stars for me. Oh ew, the above sentence reads like a textbook but you get the gist. So, let me tell you a story of how it arose. Let’s start off with the commencement of the novel.

The beginning of Ascension starts off with this little template of the Genesis Program which I originally thought was a program to create ‘artificial’ babies because the symbol of the company contains a baby sucking its thumb an
Nikki
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. I also happened to win a signed final copy on insta, which is the version I read, but this did not affect my review.

This book is both epic genius and completely bonkers! I love the whole concept of blind date meets big brother meets spaceship. While I’m not a romance story person, this isn’t really one (as much as it is all about the relationships). I like how it’s darker than it seems at first glance, and
melissafandomworld
4.5 stars, review will follow soon, Http://melissasbookworld.com
Christina Reid
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inhaled this practically in one sitting - it definitely keeps you reading to find out what happens and I am now eagerly awaiting the second and third parts of this trilogy!
Full review below and on my blog:

Make history with a capital H, just like they’d written on the call for applications…That’s why I’d sent in my details without single second’s hesitation, as soon as I’d seen the ad in a free newspaper on the Paris metro: because I had no history, even with a small h, of my own. Lov/>Make
Atlas
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s, ya, sci-fi
"What I want is glory and I know that I'm not going to get it here on Earth"

* * *
3 / 5

The premise of the book? Speed dating. In space. Dang, that's almost as good as "nuns that are assassins" (Red Sister, for reference). But there was a depressing lack of gossip and drama and more background space corporation/business conspiracy. Whilst good, Ascension wasn't quite the light-hearted and overly dramatic book that I was expecting.

The first trip to colonise Mars is
Abigail
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Quaint, cosmic and incredibly entertaining!
Orláith
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Ascension by Victor Dixen, and translated from the original French by Daniel Hahn, is a sci-fi novel about 12 teens aged between 16 and 19, 6 girls and 6 boys, who are selected for the ultimate reality TV show - they are being sent to populate Mars!

During their journey from earth, the genders are kept separate only meeting up for 6 minute long "speed dates" with the aim of pairing off and getting married when they land on Mars!

The story isn't set ent
Chloë Jans
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Phobos was a good book. It's pretty cool that the author is French, because I don't read a lot of french books. I liked the drawings in the book, they definitly helped me get the right image of the descriptions. I did think the love triangle was like really unnecessary. There was no need for it. Also, I really didn't like it when Léonor's scar talked back. It made me really uncomfortable, but maybe the author wanted that.
Cami
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW
Victoria Robinson
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now normally I'm not really into any reality TV like "Love Island" or "Big Brother" and such like, so I think I was mainly interested in the space element but I was blown away by this, I honestly don't know what I was expecting but this certainly was far above anything I could assume.

Even when the description mentions "if dream turns into a nightmare" it is so easy to assume that it's just because they get homesick or they find out that they don't actually get on with anyone, I mean
Audrey C
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, read-2018
“Il n'y a que la mort qui soit simple, et éternelle.”

I've been wanting to read this book for so long, and, since I'm going to the Paris Book Fair next week and hope to meet the author, I got really motivated and started to read it. Little did I know that I would like it that much! It's really easy and quick to read, but not boring or uninteresting.

LIKES:
The concept was pretty cool (at the same time a reality TV-show and the colonization of Mars), the twists were amazing, and the writing style wasn't unple/>
Kayleigh
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first few chapters I thought that I would love this book and I was right!

I was sucked in from start to finish and devoured it because I just couldn’t put it down!

We follow Léonor, one of the chosen 12 to board the Cupido and live out the adventure of a lifetime. Each of the 12 ‘contestants’ have signed up to the Genesis Program believing it to be an opportunity for love and glory but all’s not as it seems.
Behind the scenes, secrets and lies are hidden, lies which, if they co
Natasha
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I love reality show. It is my guilty pleasure.
Ascension is literally a reality show but on Mars, and I love it.
There was so much drama, suspense and me screaming WHO A I SUPPOSE TO TRUST.

The "villain" in this book is literally an evil genius.
The people behind the experiment on sending this kids to mars is scary.
It feels like they are on a Truman show literally.

T
Charlotte
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cliffhanger killed me.
Jasmine
This was absolutely brilliant. From the cover to the blurb to story, this was just brilliant. I loved Léonor as a character and felt like she was really relatable. I liked how this had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and kept me hooked. It did take me quite a while to get into the story but once I did, I loved how much dramatic irony there was because certain things were revealed to us early on and it was interesting to see the characters work it all out. This is something I don't tend ...more
Shannon ✨
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THAT ENDING OMG I NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW
Kate’s Book Spot
As soon as I read the intriguing description of this book I knew I’d have to read it, I was keen to know how the Genesis Programme would work and what the final results would be.

The storyline pulled me in right from the very start, I had so many questions about the programme and the characters that I just couldn’t stop reading. The mysterious ‘Noah Report’ had me coming up with all sorts of theories, I always enjoy trying to figure out what’s going to happen even if I don’t always ge
Vicky
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been watching a little too much Love Island at the moment, but there was almost something of a guilty pleasure-esque feeling when I picked up Ascension. Six boys and six girls have to try and ‘pair up’ on a six-month trip to Mars, where they’ll start a new colony with the children that they have. It sounds like reality-TV on steroids. Also, the cover is amazing.

And that’s basically what I got. I’m not sure if something was lost when the original text
WhatBookNext .com
Leonor is 18 and saying goodbye forever to her orphan status, her job at a dog food factory and Planet Earth.

She is one of 12 teens heading to Mars on the Genesis Project. 6 boys, 6 girls - the youngest only 17. This project is being run by a private company called Atlas, who has purchased NASA only a few years before. They have engineered a brilliant way of NASA making profit instead of losing money.

These 12 have been chosen from millions who applied to be sent to Mars.
Gill Chedgey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well thank you very much Victor Dixen!!! How could you?! How could you leave us hanging like that!?? If you were hoping on the strength of that cliffhanger we might read the next Phobos novel you’d be right!! Bring it on! NOW!

Think Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Love Island, Big Brother, Divergent all in Outer Space and you’ll get the flavour of this first Phobos novel, Ascension. And in a sense there is nothing new here but it doesn’t seem to matter for what you have is a rip roaring,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
101 Books To Read: Phobos #1, Victor Dixen 12 180 May 13, 2019 09:55AM

• No Vain Loss (No Ordinary Star, #3)
  • Flamingo Boy
  • À la place du cœur (À la place du coeur, #1)
  • Le Complot des corbeaux (Les Sœurs Carmines, #1)
  • She's with the Band
  • Terra Mater (Les Guerriers du silence, #2)
  • Le faire ou mourir
  • Among the Dead (A Rachel Carver Mystery, #1)
  • Living on Hope Street
  • Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)
  • Kid Normal
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • The Lemon Tree Café
  • Le Déchronologue
  • Transferral
  • Les Animaux dénaturés
  • Shangri-La
  • Felix, Net i Nika oraz Teoretycznie Możliwa Katastrofa (Felix, Net i Nika, #2)
📖 Voyageur le jour et écrivain la nuit.
> davantage sur mon site

📖 Traveler by day and writer by night.
> more on my website

Phobos (4 books)
  • Distortion (Phobos, #2)
  • Collision (Phobos, #3)
  • Phobos⁴ (Phobos, #4)
“Il n'y a que la mort qui soit simple, et éternelle. Parce que tu vois, la vie, c'est compliqué, et c'est terriblement court. On a l'impression qu'on a tout le temps devant soi, mais en réalité c'est comme une séance de speed-dating : à peine entré dans la bulle, c'est déjà le moment de dégager” 3 likes