Start by marking “Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1)

Hope Never Dies

(Obama Biden Mysteries #1)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  6,337 ratings  ·  1,792 reviews
This mystery thriller reunites Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama for a political mashup full of suspense, intrigue, and laugh out loud bromance.

Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel
Published July 10th 2018 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope Never Dies, please sign up.
Michelle Elizabeth Why not? I never censor kids. I love when kids find their own voices, so to speak, when it comes to reading. That's how life-long readers are made.
Andrew Shaffer It's not out today because I'm still putting some finishing touches on it. But the good news is that it will be out July 10th now! *throws patriotic…moreIt's not out today because I'm still putting some finishing touches on it. But the good news is that it will be out July 10th now! *throws patriotic confetti*(less)

·  6,337 ratings  ·  1,792 reviews

Andrew Shaffer
May 16, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
description
Rincey
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is just 1000% camp-y fan fiction. Don't read too much into it. Like there were points in the book where I was like, "Obama/Biden would never say/do/act like that" but then I would shake it off and just keep on keeping on. The mystery is fine, nothing really to write home about.

Also, someone give this cover designer a raise.

Watch me discuss this book in my July wrap up: https://youtu.be/8kaQcaNn9uw
Catherine ♡
Mar 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Why is this the best and most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life
Betsy
Apr 06, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
You know at first I wasn't going to read this but let's be real, after however long we've been living in this ungodly hell of the Trump adminstration (it can't be just a year, it feels TOO LONG) I'm obviously going to read this.
Leah Blackwell
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start on how happy this book made me. From the minute I saw the cover pop up on a friend's goodreads shelf it has done nothing but make me laugh. I even drew some fan art. not even kidding. This book is clearly absurd. Not thought provoking. Not written with beautiful prose or mind-bending plot twists. But it is magical. I'm buying cases of this book for all my friends and relatives this Christmas. Thanks NetGalley!
Casey
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's face it: reading the news these days has replaced cardio for many of us as our heart rate skyrockets from the headlines alone. Remember when we had a cool/sometimes embarrassing dad president with a charismatic veep who just called out malarkey when he saw it? No, it wasn't 100 years ago, but it sure feels like it lately.

In this delightful romp of a book, Biden is feeling a little sorry for himself since Obama seems to never call because he has a lot of hip, young friends like Bradley Coop
Brandon
The 2016 Presidential Election has ended. Former Vice President Joe Biden doesn’t quite know what to do with himself. As he watches his former boss Barack Obama vacationing with the likes of Richard Branson, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Hollywood superstar Bradley Cooper, he feels discarded and hopeless. All this changes when Obama arrives on Joe’s doorstep one evening with the news of the death of a dear friend of Joe’s..

Hope Never Dies is a fun read with an interesting premise –
Char
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
As soon as I saw the cover of this book, I knew I had to have it! Thanks to NetGalley and to Quirk Books for granting my wish.

Andrew Shaffer takes the former leader of the free world, joins him back up with Joe Biden, and together they work on a mystery. Amtrak Joe lost a friend, an engineer on the train that he rode nearly every day before he before he became Vice President. (This story is told from Joe's point of view.) After discovering a few unsavory facts about his friend and discovering a
Edita S.
Y’all.

Wut.

This is campy as hell, no doubt about that. Containing some amazing moments such as (slight spoilers):

(view spoiler)

Would totally recommend.

* Thanks, Netgalley!
Diane
This book was so much fun!

"Hope Never Dies" is a murder mystery combined with a bromance. In this case the two buddies are Joe Biden and Barack Obama. When the novel opens, Joe is depressed and misses hanging out with Barack, who soon shows up with news that a railroad employee Joe knew has been found dead. The two decide to investigate, and it was a delight to see how the story played out. The author has a good sense of humor, and I enjoyed the conversations between the former president &
Leigh Kramer
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you've wondered what Joe and Barack have been up to since leaving the presidential office or what might happen if they teamed up to solve mysteries, HOPE NEVER DIES is the book you never knew you always needed.

Essentially Obama-Biden fanfic, this was such a fun ride. And honestly, reading it did give me hope. I mean. What if Obama and Biden really are out there fighting crime? Lord knows we could use their help. Just the thought of this being a possibility made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Joe Bid
Misfit
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh, what a mashed up mess. I would typically have rolled my eyes and moved along, but since this was written by the author of the hilarious Fifty Shames of Earl Grey, I decided to give it a whirl.

Clever idea (I guess) to have Obama and Biden getting involved in solving a mystery (is this going to be a series?), but I hate to say it - the jokes fell flat, as did the characters, as did the mystery. Biden is the narrator (first person), and he was especially annoying and his constant falls and in
Debbie
YES I IMPULSE BOUGHT THIS AT THE BOOKSTORE TODAY. DON'T JUDGE ME.

I read this in under a day. It is a really fast read, and a surprisingly good one. It's presidential fanfiction and I loved it. It made me super nostalgic for the Obama/Biden bromance (their bromance name is Obiden, pass it on!) and I loved the idea of them teaming up to solve a murder. Because of course they would.

I laughed so much during this book. And I really hope this is book one in a long, long series.
Sara
I think if you're going to write a murder mystery wherein the former president of the United States and his hetero lifemate VP solve a murder you've gotta go big or go home. I either want to be laughing my ass off or bowled over by just how accurate the characters are.

Alas neither was the case with this very tepid, relatively well plotted mystery that paints Obama and Biden as a sort of old married couple on the outs. Barack hasn't called since the end of their stint in the Whitehouse and Joe (
Ariel
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is this book 100% Barack Obama and Joe Biden fanfic where they solve crimes together in a sweet-ass car? Yes, it is. I love Quirk Books as a publishing company because they publish the weird, quirky shit that other people wouldn't think of. Like who would have gone "oh hey, now that Obama/Biden are out of the White House, let's write a book about them?" Andrew Shaffer, that's who.
This was a fun book. It was engaging. I can't attest to how well the author sticks to the personalities of Obama and
Delightful! I went into this with somewhat dubious expectations, but I really enjoyed it and hope this is the beginning of a series.

Joe Biden has been out of office for six months, and he's down in the dumps. He hasn't heard a word from his old friend Barack Obama, and meanwhile he's tortured by a constant stream of photos of Barack having fun with various celebrities. But when Barack shows up to break the news that Joe's favorite Amtrak conductor was killed--and found with a map marking Joe's h
Rebecca
3.5, it might not be great literature but this will be the feel good read of the summer. It’s like all those meme you love come to life.
Joshua
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I mean, it was Barack Obama and Joe Biden in a murder-mystery-action-thriller. I got exactly what I expected and I loved it.
Colleen Fauchelle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
loved this story.
Maine Colonial
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, utter-fluff
Thanks to the publisher for providing a free review copy.

When I saw the cover of this book, it cracked me up and I just had to read it. It’s a lightweight and quick read, but I was surprised to find that as mysteries go, it’s not bad.

But the main appeal is that it’s told from the point of view of Joe Biden. I don’t know the guy in real life, but I think we all have an idea of what he’s like and Andrew Shaffer pegs that. Biden wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s corny and old-fashioned—and he ta
Mainon
I have always wanted to read a book in which Barack Obama and Joe Biden team up to solve a mystery. I just didn't know it until I saw this book.

It was exactly the bittersweet catharsis I'd hoped, although Obama's character wasn't as recognizable as I would have wished. I think he's warmer than the reserved version described here. Joe's pretty great, though, if a little bit overly emotional. The mystery itself is perfectly serviceable, too. I'll read the sequel if there is one.

I received a copy
Patrick
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joe Biden is bummed. He and Barack Obama have drifted apart. They were brothers til the end, but it seems like the end came along with the end of the administration. Biden is left feeling his age as Obama wide-surfs with Bradley Cooper. Then one night, Obama drops in with horrible news about one of Biden's favorite Amtrak conductors. This is the first in a series of events that leads old Amtrak Joe down a twisting path to uncover the truth of his friend's untimely death, clear his name, and give ...more
Melissa Rose
Let me preface this review by stating that this particular book is not great literature; it is corny as hell and reads like terrible fanfiction. However, I believe that that is part of what makes 'Hope Never Dies' a genius. I mean, what could be more entertaining than reading about Joe Biden and Barack Obama solving crimes in a sweet car?

Considering who the characters in this novel are, I don’t believe that I need to go into characters too much. However, in terms of the mystery, I wasn't expecti
Kelly
Sep 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is totally ridiculous and a total delight to read. Good for when you need a palate cleanser of a read that's literal Joe/Barry fan fiction. I enjoyed every second of it.
Jan Rice
It was the picture that hooked me.

The book got mentioned a few weeks ago in the New York Times book reviews. For half a second I thought it was the Obama memoir; a closer look showed not, but then I wanted to buy it. It could be terrible but I bought it for a vacation read.

That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

And--it was fun!

The author is a pro. By that I mean his quips and word plays and dialogue and pretty decent characterizations flow out of him. He's easy to follow. He did his res
Joe
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first saw "Hope Never Dies" advertised on Goodreads, I assumed it was a joke. Not that that's a bad thing. It would have been a very funny joke. The cover alone brought me great joy. Obama and Biden solving mysteries together? Yes please!

So when I picked up the book and found out it was for realsys and written like a Dan Brown thriller? Joey was quite happy.

HND picks up about a year after the election of he who shall not be named (and never is in the book). Biden is in a funk. Obama has b
Scott Rhee
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, politics
It’s the day after the elections. As a friend just recently told me, “We live in a weird state.” It’s true: Ohio is weird. We elected Sherrod Brown to the U.S. Senate with 53.2% of the votes (yay!), but we somehow elected Mike Dewine as governor with 50.7% of the votes. (WTF?)

But I don’t think Ohio is unique. If anything, it’s a microcosm of the schizophrenic nature of the entire United States. We want to elect good people, and sometimes we do, but we also---accidentally?---elect assholes like
Chelsey
Hooked by the amazing description and cover, I was just a little disappointed by this - it ended up being a little too campy for my taste. Also, there were a lot of moments, particularly in the beginning, where Barack and Joe's characterizations just didn't feel right to me. The plot is fast-paced and fun, but wildly unrealistic. Ah, but it was a lovely distraction. Was trying to decide between 2 or 3 stars and am leaning towards two right now..

*Thank you to NetGalley for this!
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
More reviews like this one at my book blog: TheBibliophage.com.

Hope Never Dies from Andrew Shaffer was my antidote to last week’s fear and tragedy. It’s both mystery and humor, featuring fictional versions of Joe Biden and Barack Obama. If you like all the memes that feature the imagined tomfoolery of those two, you’ll enjoy this book.

Joe Biden is famous for riding Amtrak from his home in Wilmington, DE to Washington, DC while he was in the Senate. This forms the basis of the story. One of the c
Kevin Kelsey
A detective novel with Biden and Obama as protagonists is just too golden an idea to pass up. It was hilarious and really enjoyable to read.
  • Troublemaker and Other Saints
  • Anthropology and Modern Life
  • How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice From White People
  • The Tapestries
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • The Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library
  • Shadrach
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)
  • An Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando
  • How to Win at Feminism: The Definitive Guide to Having It All—And Then Some!
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • Aladdin: A New Translation
  • How to Read a Dress. A Guide to Changing Fashion from the 16th to the 20th Century
  • The Good Cop (Carter Ross, #4)
  • Big Guns
  • Who Goes There?
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
Andrew Shaffer is the New York Times bestselling author of more than a dozen books. He lives with his wife, novelist Tiffany Reisz, in Lexington, Kentucky, where he teaches at the non-profit Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning.

Obama Biden Mysteries (2 books)
  • Hope Rides Again (Obama Biden Mysteries, #2)
“We passed a pickup that was doing fifty-five in a fifty-five. Clearly a sociopath.” 8 likes
“We do have funerals for the living," Jill said. "They're called birthday parties.” 7 likes