Start by marking “Hidden Treasures (A Pinx Video Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Treasures (A Pinx Video Mystery, #2)

Hidden Treasures

(A Pinx Video Mystery #2)

It’s about a dress. A valuable blue sequined dress worn by a famed actress in a film from the 1940s. For some reason everyone thinks video storeowner Noah Valentine has it. Which might not be a big deal except that it’s connected to the murder of a prominent Hollywood costumer.

In the second of the Pinx Video Mysteries, Noah attempts to solve the mystery of the dress. To do
Published January 28th 2018 by Kenmore Books

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Treasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Treasures

Start your review of Hidden Treasures (A Pinx Video Mystery, #2)
LenaRibka
A mysterious memorabilia collection, lies and videotape.

But it is not everything. Add three dead bodies, a good-looking gayby detective (I learned it is someone who's just coming out), an absolutely fantastic sense of time ( the full presence of the 1990s) and a LOT of movies from that time that will awaken feelings of nostalgia.

Our old acquaintance from the first book Noah Valentine, an owner of a video store, is very surprised when his late lover's sister suddenly invites him for lunch -
CrabbyPatty
Hidden Treasures takes place a few months after Night Drop in which we met Noah Valentine, the owner of Pinx Video, his neighbors Marc and Louis, their friend Leon, and of course Mr. Tall, Dark and Delicious - Detective Javier O'Shea (whom Noah runs into at Pride):
... found myself looking at the most gorgeous man I’d seen in a long time. He wore a pair of work boots with white socks, cutoffs and a tank top stuffed in his back pocket. His skin was brown and glistening. I didn’t even have to get
Annika
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars

I wasn't particularly fond of the first book in this series and pretty much decided early on that Night Drop was going to be both the first and last book I'd read of that series. But then, the last chapter happened and I just couldn't wait to know more. I needed to know more. So I was a happy little reader when Hidden Treasures arrived in my waiting hands.

And what can I say more than; I loved it! I was hooked to this book from the very beginning and enjoyed every page of it. I do
Erica
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big fan of mysteries, especially mysteries solved by "everyday" people, yet here we are. I'm not a fan of slow-burn romances, yet here we are. This mystery series includes the slowest of all the slow-burn romances in the universe, and I just love it to pieces.

Anybody else feeling a little old, given the idea that the "historical" setting for these books is 1992? No? Just me? Lol.
Mwanamali
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, lgbtqiap
So I just found out this is part of a very slow burn romance that doesn't end any time soon. And I hate incomplete serieses... series... While following the exploits of amateur sleuth Noah Valentine is highly entertaining, I am not ready to be strung along the off for now on much later romance between Javier and Noah. I'm pausing this series until there's a conclusion. Much like I should have the How to Bang a Billionaire series. These books with heavy emotional punches need to come with a ...more
Joyfully Jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Hidden Treasures in the second installment in Marshall Thornton’s Pinx Video Mystery series. It must be said that it’s best if you read these in order beginning with the first, Night Drop. It must also go without saying that one must suspend some disbelief when indulging in this series. Set up as a historical due to the time frame, there is also the idea that four run of the mill guys happen to be aces at solving murders. But if you can let that go and indulge in
Philip
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, is it possible I loved Hidden Treasures better than the first Pinx Mystery? I adore MC Noah Valentine. Thornton writes him with equal parts grit and goof. We learn so much more about how Noah is navigating late 80's Los Angeles with his new friends and another murder. In between a cozy murder mystery, we find Noah grappling with real world trauma making the Pinx Mysteries fun and complicated in a delicious way. Thanks Marshall. I can't wait to read your next book.
F.
A good follow-up to the first book. Yet again Noah is drawn into a murder investigation. I had picked the murderer early on but still enjoyed the story. Loved all the personalities that the author was able to make come alive with his use of words. Wish that Noah could tell Javier the reason why he gives the cold shoulder but back then HIV was a very dirty word and considered a sure death sentence by those that didn't understand.
Melissa
As improbable as a video store owner playing amateur sleuth is, I found this incredibly entertaining. It wasn't the murder mystery though that really held my attention, it was Noah and how he is living his life as an HIV positive man of the early 90's. He keeps this fact a secret from everyone (almost) and he especially doesn't tell Detective Javier, who is clearly interested in him on a more personal level.

This isn't going to be the last of the series and I can't wait to see what is next for
JR
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quirky, mm, mystery, favorites, nerd
Excellent !

Noah is at it again, knee deep in murder and intrigue. This time it is old Hollywood, meets the 80's .

Funny, engaging dialogue, and some of the best characters to grace the pages of any book. Hope there is a number three.
Shelby
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book.
Ulysses Dietz
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hidden Treasures (Pinx #2)
By Marshall Thornton
Kenmore Books, 2018
Five stars

How did I forget to write and post a review of this? The second of Marshall Thornton’s “Pinx” series, it takes us deeper into the life of Noah Valentine, a twenty-something who inherited his ex, Jeffer Cole’s video store in Los Angeles’ Silver Lake. Noah is HIV-positive, and given the year is 1992, he stands at the edge of that moment when the plague that decimated my generation began to become something one might
Becca
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well I gotta say, Mr. Marshall Thornton, that if you are reading this, you need to get yourself in a comfy seat, prop your feet, toast yourself with a glass of wine or something and pat yourself on the back because this book is a hit. It is fabulous. I think I like it better than the first one. And i loved the first one. Man if you guys aren't reading these books, you definitely need to. Mystery, some giggles, some queens, and some drama all rolled in one. It really is a good time and I couldn't ...more
LJ
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a step up from the first book, not because the mystery was any more engaging, but because I'm getting more of a sense of Noah and his journey. The blue dress thing was neither here nor there. This is about Noah, his journey forward and his coming to terms with his past. And I'm interested. In Noah, in his friends, past and present, and his choices. And his mother. And of course, Detective Javier O'Shea.
And then there is Jeffer. Even though Jeffer betrayed Noah, Noah does not doubt
Melanie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit https://wp.me/p220KL-cMP on 1/29

From that review: " I am wild about Hidden Treasures and the Pinx Video Mystery series by Marshall Thornton. Extremely well written, evocative of an era still so close to ours that we can remember all the telling details that makes this book and series ring with familiarity and yet far enough removed that it feels nostalgic. Ah video tapes cartridges...VHS...some may
Finnegan
Marshall Thornton knows how to create a full round, complex character that really wrench your heart, and Noah Valentine is one of his best. I like Noah, and I admire him and how he lives his life, and he makes my heart bleed for him. This book is not even a romance, (although I am seriously hoping that this will change in book 3), but I am captivated. This mystery is also good, and I enjoyed reading about all the shenanigans surrounding one vintage dress, but it is Noah that I will come back ...more
Lisa
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Waited a little time for this book and was ready to start the minute it was downloaded onto my IPad.
The book was just as good as the first in the series. Noah is again caught up in a mystery which brings him into contact with Javier the detective.
Noah is still not out about his HIV status with his friends and so keeps Javier at arms length. I do hope that soon he will be able to talk to him as it is not fair, Javier seems like a nice guy.
The gang are all back and as great as before. The
Molli B.
Good! But now I want MORE immediately. Further development of Noah (and his friends), more Javier, more mystery. I don't know if this series will end up as long as Boystown, but I hope so!! Noah is definitely not Nick Nowak, but I think I like him just as much. :)
Wende
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
Noah Valentine owns the Pinx Video store, and deals from day to day with employees who have diverse personalities. There’s never a day of monotony at the store, and, in fact, Noah often questions who’s really the boss. At one time, Noah was in a long-term relationship with Jeffer Cole, and he sometimes still wonders what category that relationship fell into. They were never legally married, and even though Jeffer is deceased, Noah still endures confusion and hurt, and also some blame from ...more
Tina
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I brought this second book in the series, as well as the first one (Night Video), to the hospital recently thinking I would get some reading done. I want to mention that this review is the same as the one I gave "Night Video" because my words apply to both.
I put on my earbuds playing classical movie and began to read in my bed and seriously, I totally forgot where I was until a nurse walked in and I had to refocus and reorient myself to my location and situation. That's the sign of excellent
Suze
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good, fun, poignant story in this series.
I like it because whilst it is in the past, it is not too far away and a lot of the pop, cultural, political and fashion references are all too familiar - and amusing in hindsight!
Noah is still coming to terms with the impact of Jeffers’s last gift to him - and then he is confronted with the fact there may be more tangible gifts to come, if only he can find them. And stop others finding them first.
The gang’s all here to do their amateur sleuthing
Avid Reader
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Marshall Thornton’s books, the boys town series, Femme and now the Pinx Video Mysteries so am halfway to giving Hidden Treasures the thumbs up. In fact only given 4* instead of 5* because of the overly complicated plot about a blue dress. Heard of a McGuffin anyone. Still, Noah and the rest of the characters are as endearing as ever and the atmosphere and descriptions of ‘90’s Los Angeles are fascinating. I bet a lot of younger readers will be bewildered at lack of mobile phones to do ...more
Aliera
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I took some time to read Hidden Treasures. For all my enthusiasm, life got in the way and then when I could stop to read I decided to read Night Drop again, first. I'm glad I did for the feel of continuity in the story. All characters grew immensely in the second book. I liked Noah's friends in Night Drop, but I love them after reading hidden treasures. . I positively love adorable caring Louis.
I enjoyed the mystery part of the story, and the connections to everybody in the story. Noah is a very
Sadaharuhi
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was over too soon and im left wanting more. I love all the characters, Noah and his supportive friends- Marc and Louis, especially Louis. It was a bit sad with the things Noah had to deal with. Im not even sure if there will be a chance for romance. I wish i have book 1. I would like to read more about the ex and a bit more background on the relationship they had. For some reason this book reminded me of Adrien English and his mom.
Pjm12
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these interfering nosy neighbours, who should know better than to get involved in murder. But their determination makes them worth cheering on.

I worry that Noah keeps his secret, and yet by the end, his friends show their true colours, and we have hope that he will let Javier in.

Oh Javier.

There better be more.
Chelsey Nixon
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
#SpoilerWarrior

This is like a weird, less capable Nick Nowak novel. I mean, I still like them. And I guess they ARE lighter than Boystown. But they’re still...less, somehow.
On the other hand, they’re always incredibly informative to me. Which, is nice.
Also they’re not very predicable which is something that I’ve always loved about Thornton.
Sidonie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid winner

I laughed i cried i lived. Great characters great story well paved with a nice soft landing at the end. Written on my kindle in bed reading just have to say but it now.
Valerie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was actually the first book I've read in the Pinx Video series and I really enjoyed getting to know Noah. He's had a hard time of it but he gets dragged into another mystery. This wasn't a romance, as I was expecting, but it was an intriguing story that I would recommend.
Bridie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Since reading this book months ago, barely a week goes by when I don't think about it. I would sell my soul to just live in this story, with these characters, doing these things.

It is a favourite and I cannot wait to see where this goes in the (many, many, many) subsequent stories.
The Backlot Gay B...: Hidden Treasures, Pinx #2, by Marshall Thornton 1 3 Aug 06, 2018 05:11PM

• Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • The Ghost of Ellwood (Ivy Grove, #1)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • Seance on a Summer's Night
  • Tallowwood
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • What Lies Beneath (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #1)
Three-time Lambda Award-winning author, Marshall Thornton is best known for the Boystown and Pinx Video mystery series. Other novels include the erotic comedy The Perils of Praline, or the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentleman in Hollywood, Desert Run and Full Release. Marshall has an MFA in screenwriting from UCLA, where he received the Carl David Memorial Fellowship and was recognized in ...more

A Pinx Video Mystery (4 books)
  • Night Drop (A Pinx Video Mystery, #1)
  • Late Fees (A Pinx Video Mystery, #3)
  • Rewind (Pinx Video Mysteries #4)